Options

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I've got it and it's pretty nice. Adds a nice bit of grippiness to it. Spigen makes a real nice think one a friend picked up for his 6+ that looked nice.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Shabooty wrote: »
    so i just got an 6s and i think i want a leather case

is apple's worth $45?

I don't have one, but a friend has the leather case for the 6. It seems nice. Is it $45 worth of nice? That's pretty subjective. But it fits right, feels nice, and has an Apple logo.

For my 6s, I have the silicone case, and I like it a lot. It has a nice tacky rubbery feel and it's protected my phone from half a dozen drops

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    Shabooty wrote: »
    so i just got an 6s and i think i want a leather case

is apple's worth $45?

I don't have one, but a friend has the leather case for the 6. It seems nice. Is it $45 worth of nice? That's pretty subjective. But it fits right, feels nice, and has an Apple logo.

For my 6s, I have the silicone case, and I like it a lot. It has a nice tacky rubbery feel and it's protected my phone from half a dozen drops

I have had two of the Apple leather cases (In the UK a store called CEX sells ones people trade in brand new for £10-15). For that price its worth it, really nice feel. However, avoid the red leather case or any of the really light colours. Despite many efforts to be careful with it, the thing will easily stain from your hands holding it, giving it a really horrid look.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Hello IOS thread! Worked has deemed it necessary to replace my Android phone with an iPhone 6. I am in need of an Exchange email solution that can trigger custom notifications (sound etc) from designated senders. Something like Nine on Android.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Hello IOS thread! Worked has deemed it necessary to replace my Android phone with an iPhone 6. I am in need of an Exchange email solution that can trigger custom notifications (sound etc) from designated senders. Something like Nine on Android.

Does MS Outlook for iOS not do that?

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Anyone else have trouble with Apple wanting you to enter passwords but it not recognizing them and then requesting answers to security questions that apparently don't line up with any memory you have?

I reset everything, including the questions, and everything works now. But I was concerned there for a bit.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Sounds like it was trying to log you into someone else's account. Any chance that would've been active on your device for some reason?

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Anyone know of any good wireless headphones that work well with the iPhone? I've been increasing my exercises with jump ropes, and it would be nice to be able to listen to podcasts/music without the headphone cords getting in the way.

Anything with good quality and the resilience to stay attached to my head while moving would be best.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Anyone know of any good wireless headphones that work well with the iPhone? I've been increasing my exercises with jump ropes, and it would be nice to be able to listen to podcasts/music without the headphone cords getting in the way.

Anything with good quality and the resilience to stay attached to my head while moving would be best.

If money is decent enough, spend on Blubuds. I have bluebuds x, but the x2 model looks badass.

these things are amazing, and once you set them up for behind the head wear (you will play with them for an hour or so to get it right) they will never fall out unless you want them to. running, jumping, full on headbanging... the in-ear bud + wing will hold it fast.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Alternatively, if you're cheap like I am, the Mpow Bluetooth Headsets work pretty well for the price. You can get a pair of the Swift headphones for like $20, and the versions with headset capabilities for not much more. They're pretty robust and reliable, and come with little tabs you can fit onto them that help them stay put in your ear while using them. They look weird, but are surprisingly comfortable and stay perfectly in place even through fairly vigorous exercise (I run with them all the time).

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I definitely want to give the Mpow ones a chance since the price (and reviews) are right.

There seem to be three current models though, so I'm not sure which is best. Logic should point to the 4.1, but the 4.0 has more reviews.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I think the 4.0 are just an older model. I've had the Swift 4.0 model before, used them for several months with no issues and would still be using them if I hadn't accidentally run over them with my car (long story, but they technically still worked even after this). I bought the 4.1 Wolverine pair more recently, and haven't really noticed any difference to be honest. They're just as good as the old ones. You'd probably be fine either way.

For the price, there's not much to lose. Even if you don't like them, you're only out $20 and can still keep them around as a backup pair for emergencies. For me personally though, I've found them more than serviceable.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    My iPhone 5's thunderbolt port died working over the course of a couple of months and I ended up getting a new phone. Any chance I could get this thing repaired/repair it myself and make some money off it?

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    august wrote: »
    My iPhone 5's thunderbolt port died working over the course of a couple of months and I ended up getting a new phone. Any chance I could get this thing repaired/repair it myself and make some money off it?

Google tells me you can: http://m.imore.com/how-fix-broken-charge-port-iphone-5

Whether it is worth doing would be up to if you have a buyer lined up or not I'd say.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Also if you haven't, blow it out with compressed air. I've had mine gunk up a couple times and it acts like a slow failure as it gets more gunky.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Anybody ever had an an app stuck updating?

It's been stuck there forever with the loading circle filled. Even if I cancel the download and restart it gets stuck again. Strange.

Edit: Ended up deleting the app and re-downloading. Seems to fix it.

xraydog on
  • Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    august wrote: »

Super doable, It's my job to fix these kinds of things. I don't know what part of the country you live in but there should be a reputable repair shop nearby, unless you want to do it yourself. I would not recommend doing it at home unless you have some sort of experience doing fine work with your hands and they are steady. If you are near the Seattle area send me a pm and I'll get you fixed up.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    A friend of mine just got a new iPhone and I haven't used one since the 3GS. Is there any way to lock down the message app? She doesn't want anyone that looks at her phone to be able to bring up anything that isn't for them.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It should be behind her lock screen. Is she sharing the phone or something? It's not really designed for a use case where you need to lock down the messaging app.

• Options
    It's not so much that she's sharing the phone so much as nosy people want to know her business. She uses the finger print lock to lock down the whole phone, but was curious if the message could be locked down in case someone was looking at it for a minute and tried to see anything.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I know there are Android apps that allow you to require a password to open specific apps. I imagine something similar might exist for iOS?

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Not within the stock Messages app, or even stuff like Facebook Messenger. Possibly some of the secure messaging apps like Signal?

You can disable showing the contents of an incoming text on the lock screen, so it would just show that you received one and not the first couple lines of text.

That should be under Settings>Notifications>Messages>(scroll to bottom>Message Previews

You can toggle it on or off.

• Options
    Yeah, it sounds like she just needs to turn off all notifications on the lock screen.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I already had her do that. I also had her turn off banner notifications for texts when the phone is unlocked, so it just makes the sound and that's it. Thanks anyway. I didn't know if anything had changed since I had an iPhone, and you never know unless you ask.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I understand the question still. Do you mean other people are using her phone after it's unlocked and she wants to prevent them from opening the specific Messaging app?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Pretty much. Let's say she has her phone unlocked and wants to show something to me (on her phone). Her dog does something and she has to walk away. She wants to make sure that I cannot go into the stock iPhone messaging app and look to see what is going on with who. (not that I would, mind, this is just an example) I didn't know if you could, cuz Apple, but it never hurts to ask.

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Pretty much. Let's say she has her phone unlocked and wants to show something to me (on her phone). Her dog does something and she has to walk away. She wants to make sure that I cannot go into the stock iPhone messaging app and look to see what is going on with who. (not that I would, mind, this is just an example) I didn't know if you could, cuz Apple, but it never hurts to ask.

Other than "turn it off before she walks away" I'm not sure there is a way to do this in stock iOS.

I'm not saying that flippantly, it's something I do every time I walk away from my phone for any reason. Never leave your unlocked phone unattended. There's a lot worse things someone could do to it besides rifle through your messages, and leaving your unlocked phone right out there for anyone is basically an open invitation.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah, just remember to hit the sleep button when not using it (I do this even when putting it in my pocket) and set the require passcode on wake timer to immediately.
    Also, you can get privacy type screen protectors that block viewing from anywhere but directly facing the screen if that matters.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    My apple leather case has saved my 6 Plus from more than a few drops

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I have the space gray silicon case, and yes, it's saved my 6S from a few nasty falls. it has a lot of battle damage on it, but my phone is pristine.

So...I am now the owner of an iPad Pro. It was my present to myself with my bonus this year. It's become kind of the new hot shit thing for all the architects at work to have one, so...I guess I'm in the cool kids club now? Didn't get the pen but did get the backshell and the smart keyboard. I went with the 32GB as I just couldn't justify the cost for the 128, and I don't store music on it like I do my phone (which is 128). It's only going to be used seriously where wifi is available, so I'll just augment with cloud storage.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Gotten an IPad Pro with smart keyboard.

People laughed at it for 'being too large'. I honestly think it could stand to be an extra inch bigger. Best media consumption device I've ever owned and a pretty good laptop to boot.

• Options
    iPhone SE announced, 4" screen like the 5s but with all the upgraded internals of the newer devices. I'll be upgrading my 5s sometime in the next year probably so that is tempting to get that and maybe a iPad of some sort for the larger screen use that I'm craving. I really like smaller phones but also want the larger screen sometimes of course. Choices!

• Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    I am tentatively highly excited. I absolutely hate phones that I cannot confidently use one-handed, which for my hand size maxes out right around the 5S's size and aspect ratio.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I've got a bit of an awful situation with my iPhone 5S after doing the update to 9.3 and need some help, or at least some commiseration.

My 5S can no longer do anything involving the Internet. My iPhone is unable to use its Data connection to go online, and is able to see Wi-Fi and connect to it, but not use it for anything.

As a result my 5S is also unable to verify my apple ID.

I've tried resetting the phone, I've tried doing a power reset. I've reset my network settings. The phone happily accepts my Wi-Fi password and displays the Wi-Fi icon at the top of the screen after I start over.

My 5S is backed up up via my computer, so I haven't lost anything, but I'm also...horribly stuck. I cannot log out of out iCloud, and I cannot disable Find My iPhone, so I am unable to do a Restore Backup or Restore iPhone through iTunes.

I've brought my iPhone to my cell carrier, and the tech claimed there is an update to 9.3 that happened that should fix the issue, but, hooray, if this is happening it does not exist yet, anywhere I can find it. I have found no record anywhere online of other people having this issue after updating to 9.3

Best of all, I can't even do a Factory Reset on my phone, because, again, it needs my apple ID to do this, which it cannot verify.

I don't know what the hell to do.

• Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    Incremental spec bumps and different size options of the same old products...is this really event-worthy anymore? That said, my 5S is still in perfect working order but I'm craving a bigger screen and >16GB. I'm eligible for an upgrade, but I kinda wanna wait and see what the iPhone 7 will have.

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Mercade wrote: »
    Incremental spec bumps and different size options of the same old products...is this really event-worthy anymore? That said, my 5S is still in perfect working order but I'm craving a bigger screen and >16GB. I'm eligible for an upgrade, but I kinda wanna wait and see what the iPhone 7 will have.

I found this weeks reveals to be far more interesting than the 6S at the time and I own a 6S Plus at the moment. Its a significant push for Apple to release a phone that competes with a lot of other small but high spec phones. However I do agree that when you are at that time of due an upgrade on a phone you look for that wow factor and of the past few years no-one has really done that.

• Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    So do we know yet if the SE is exactly the same size as the 5 generation? The screen size is obviously the same, and it looks like a 5S, and the ports look to be in the same places, but have they added or subtracted a millimeter or so to one or more of the dimensions to keep gen 5 cases and other form factor-dependent accessories from being compatible?

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    I've read that 5S cases will work with the SE. Same form factor.

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    I'd be insane not to buy one, then!

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Ended up pre-ordering an iPad Pro 9.7. Was in the market for a replacement iPad. My current iPad 3 is starting to drive me nuts with slow performances. The 12" iPad is just a little too big for the majority of things I do with it (would have been nice for a few thing but not enough to warrant getting it) and the current size iPad works well for what I do. Love all o ft he new features on the pro 9.7 (on paper) but a bit disappointed in the 2gb of ram compared to 4 for the 12" model. Went with the 128GB model. Ideally I would have went with 64GB, same as my current iPad 3, but Apple cleverly decided NOT to include this option. 32GB is just short of what I need with all apps, pictures, video and music I own and need available without wifi.

Anyone, because got it with a apple silo on case and Smart Cover. I don't thing I will buy the new keyboard, seems like unlike the 12" model, the keyboard may seem a bit small. Might reconsider and purchase it later. I a, strongly considering the Apple Pencil as it would be nice but for the price, still wondering if I will use it enough to justify it.

Received my cover and case today, just apple's way to tease me since the iPad as not shipped yet (alth Go aplenty still says I should get it before the end of the week).

Guibs on
    jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx