As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cops Gone Wild: Wash The Car Or Taste The Tazer Edition

AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
edited November 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
Words fail me:
According to the complaint, Webb shot his Taser at the child (referred to only as “R.D.”) after he said he did not want to join fellow classmates in cleaning the officer’s patrol car. Courthouse News reported:

“Defendant Webb responded by pointing his Taser at R.D. and saying, ‘Let me show you what happens to people who do not listen to the police.’”

Webb then shot “two barbs into R.D.’s chest,” the complaint states. “Both barbs penetrated the boy’s shirt, causing the device to deliver 50,000 volts into the boy’s body. “Defendant Webb pulled the barbs out [of] the boy’s chest, causing scarring where the barbs had entered the boy’s skin that look like cigarette burns on the boy’s chest.

“The boy, who weighed less than 100 lbs., blacked out.”Instead of calling emergency medical personnel, Officer Webb pulled out the barbs and took the boy to the school principal’s office,” the complaint states.

Following the May 4 incident, Webb, who claims he accidentally discharged the Taser, was given only a three-day suspension.

Three fucking days? You have to be shitting me. People wonder why public perception of cops is so low - here's why. This should never have been able to happen. Period. The only thing the trial should be determining is if the cop was to be dismissed for incompetence or actual malice.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
AngelHedgie on

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Did you mean to make this in your other thread?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Did you mean to make this in your other thread?

No, I think a cop tazering a 10 year old kid for refusing to wash his police cruiser merits its own thread.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    This is just.

Wow.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Re: your last sentence in the OP, Hedgie. I figured by the time you got to that sentence you just wanted to give up, but there's no way one could chalk this up to incompetence. Maybe if he was showing the "good" kids his taser over by the car, and accidentally aimed it in the "bad" kid's direction, but since he went all "I'll show you..." it's just... that's fucking malicious as shit.

This guy and that judge (ex-judge?) in TX should get together and present a class on how not to discipline children who don't listen to you.

• Options
    Re: your last sentence in the OP, Hedgie. I figured by the time you got to that sentence you just wanted to give up, but there's no way one could chalk this up to incompetence. Maybe if he was showing the "good" kids his taser over by the car, and accidentally aimed it in the "bad" kid's direction, but since he went all "I'll show you..." it's just... that's fucking malicious as shit.

This guy and that judge (ex-judge?) in TX should get together and present a class on how not to discipline children who don't listen to you.

The point is that an officer should treat his Taser as he would his sidearm. At no time should it have ever been pointed at anyone he wasn't going to light up like a Christmas tree.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

The point is that an officer should treat his Taser as he would his sidearm. At no time should it have ever been pointed at anyone he wasn't going to light up like a Christmas tree.

Hell it was a 10 year old kid. The Taser probably had a higher chance of killing him than a single bullet.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular

But he did mean to light the kid up
    This isn't incompetence here, it's straight up deliberate malice

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I have a hard time believing it was intentional. Not with witnesses like that.

Doesn't matter, though, it's still criminal negligence, and he should be both fired and charged.

• Options
    Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    Well, based on that report, it seems like there could be a couple different scenarios:

1) The guy just Dirty Harry-style decides he's gonna fry a kid, "Let me show you what happens to people who do not listen to the police," bzzzaaap.

2) The guy pulls out the taser, threateningly telling the kid, "Let me show you what happens to people who do not listen to the police," and then, like an incompetent moron playing around with weapons, accidentally hits the trigger, fires the barbs, bzzzaaap.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Well, based on that report, it seems like there could be a couple different scenarios:

1) The guy just Dirty Harry-style decides he's gonna fry a kid, "Let me show you what happens to people who do not listen to the police," bzzzaaap.

2) The guy pulls out the taser, threateningly telling the kid, "Let me show you what happens to people who do not listen to the police," and then, like an incompetent moron playing around with weapons, accidentally hits the trigger, fires the barbs, bzzzaaap. And following that, when the kid falls unconscious, doesn't bother to get him any medical attention.
    Yeeeaaaahhhh... At the very least, the guy needs to be charged with some child-abuse-related felony, fired, and bankrupted by the kid's parents' lawsuit.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »

2) The guy pulls out the taser, threateningly telling the kid, "Let me show you what happens to people who do not listen to the police," and then, like an incompetent moron playing around with weapons, accidentally hits the trigger, fires the barbs, bzzzaaap. And following that, when the kid falls unconscious, doesn't bother to get him any medical attention.
    Yeeeaaaahhhh... At the very least, the guy needs to be charged with some child-abuse-related felony, fired, and bankrupted by the kid's parents' lawsuit.

If anyone else had done this, the guy would be in jail awaiting arraignment, probably after having been roughed up and then 'resisting arrest' added to the charges and the police would be talking about this 'horrific' crime, and how 'justice' will be done.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Well duh. But it's a copy, so we should just be happy the kid's not dead.

That might have led to a whole week suspension.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    No, see, this is a step in the right direction. He didn't try to kill, rape or eat the kid, so obviously the system works.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    This case was massively WTF when I read it. It's ridiculous he's not facing any serious consequences for what's essentially assault with a potentially lethal weapon.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I heard about this but not the three-day suspension.

Three fuckin' days, huh?

Wow.

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I still cant belive this... this event made it to the media, and the cop still only gets 3 days of suspension?
    Anyone knows whats the current status of this? Any new official statements, anyone suing or threatening to sue... I mean, this should concern, if not the family of the kid, a myriad of civil groups dealing with police brutality to child abuse and everything inbetween.

(he should be properly judged regardless of media coverage, but things that go unseen usually have a much higher chance of not being delt with apropiately)

Edit: The link in the OP does say that the cop is facing a civil suit, wich is ridiculous, BUT at least its not as if this horrible act has gone completely unnoticed or devoid of repercusion.

FANTOMAS on
    Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Why was a cop ordering a 10 year-old kid to wash his car?

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    I heard about this but not the three-day suspension.

Three fuckin' days, huh?

Wow.
    And note that it doesn't say whether it's paid or unpaid.

I would hope unpaid, but knowing how this shit usually goes down...

• Options
    Thanatos wrote: »

Dude, I was not defending the guy. I was just saying I could see it being an accident because this cop handles a taser like Barney Fife handles guns. That doesn't mean "It was an accident"="Get off with a hand slap".

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    HuffPo wrote:
    The Smoking Gun reports that, in a memo to supervisors, Webb said he had removed the Taser cartridge before showing the device to a group of kids earlier that day, then he forgot that he reloaded it before Tasing the boy.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/10-year-old-tasered?page=1

edit: Also has documents about the court proceedings filed by the mother against the officer. Pretty damning.

TL DR on
  • Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    Not sure if this was posted yet but I haven't even heard anything on this case in weeks.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/queens/queens_cop_kills_unarmed_driver_qCCu7n6WNQgHyfhmecjz4K

Cop road rages then just straight up executes an unarmed motorist with his hands on the steering wheel in front of two witnesses. He'll probably retire with full pension.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Class, when is it ok to point an unloaded weapon at something?

Trick question: The weapon is never unloaded.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Not sure if this was posted yet but I haven't even heard anything on this case in weeks.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/queens/queens_cop_kills_unarmed_driver_qCCu7n6WNQgHyfhmecjz4K

Cop road rages then just straight up executes an unarmed motorist with his hands on the steering wheel in front of two witnesses. He'll probably retire with full pension.
    Hey, now, this is a tragedy, but it's clear that it was a fluke. No one could have possibly predicted that something like this would happen.
    Court records shows the city paid more than $225,000 both in 2001 and 2008 to people who sued Hamdy and other cops he was with for violating their rights. One was a Queens man who claimed he was beaten by cursing officers in 2007

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Class, when is it ok to point an unloaded weapon at something?

Trick question: The weapon is never unloaded.

Heck, I'm better trained than this guy.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    No, see, this is a step in the right direction. He didn't try to kill, rape or eat the kid, so obviously the system works.

Wait, are we dealing with Cops or with Reavers?

... never mind, in the US they appear to be almost one and the same.

Look, I usually find myself ending up trying to be the voice of reason with these things, but this one is just flat out fucked up. Incompetance or malice, either way... totally fucked up.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Seriously what the fuck was going on?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Seriously what the fuck was going on?

I'm pretty sure the article said it was career day. Possibly the cop thought that maybe the kids would like to learn how to be gas station attendants.

• Options
    From the stories I've read it was a pseudo class assignment/field trip thing. Like when your school would walk you to the local park and you'd clean up litter as a "field trip" except entirely selfishly devoted to the police.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Yeah I doubt there's any real discussion to be had here. I can't imagine you'll find anyone here who doesn't think he should be fired and face some jail time over this. All we can really do is moan that it'll never happen. I'm at a loss as to why he wasn't at least fired for this though, I know it's impossible to jail a cop but seriously, what do these guys have to do to lose their jobs?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Yeah I doubt there's any real discussion to be had here. I can't imagine you'll find anyone here who doesn't think he should be fired and face some jail time over this. All we can really do is moan that it'll never happen. I'm at a loss as to why he wasn't at least fired for this though, I know it's impossible to jail a cop but seriously, what do these guys have to do to lose their jobs?

quit

• Options

Conspiracy to commit cannibalism, it seems.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I hope they'll at least stick him behind a desk for the rest of his career. He plainly does not have the discipline to be given weapons of any sort.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I hope they'll at least stick him behind a desk for the rest of his career. He plainly does not have the discipline to be given weapons of any sort.

He'll be rewarded a medal for valour in the line of duty, more than likely.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular

From the stories I've read it was a pseudo class assignment/field trip thing. Like when your school would walk you to the local park and you'd clean up litter as a "field trip" except entirely selfishly devoted to the police.

at least no one got tazed on the cotton picking field trip

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    You guys are full of shit. Cops get fired all the time, and it only takes one fuckup to get shitcanned off the force or stuck into a dark hole until you quit

All you have to do is point out when another cop crosses the line or try to stop another cop from crossing the line :bz

override367 on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The Lower Watch really doesn't have high hiring-standards.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Absolutely shameful.

He should be charged to the fullest extent of the law. If the story is exactly as described above, then he should be charged with assault with a deadly weapon and criminal neglience for failing to get the kid proper medical care.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Just... Imagine if he made the same "mistake" that Oakland Transit cop made.
    If you can't remember, dude's defense was that he was going for his taser and instead pulled his gun and shot the suspect. Suspect was already cuffed and subdued and on the ground.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Just... Imagine if he made the same "mistake" that Oakland Transit cop made.
    If you can't remember, dude's defense was that he was going for his taser and instead pulled his gun and shot the suspect. Suspect was already cuffed and subdued and on the ground.
    Dude only served two years and is petitioning to get the conviction removed from his record so he can return to police service. BART had to pay $1.5 million to his daughter. Hmm. $1.5 million.. or a father.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Semi-serious question...where did this take place, and is this kid white? I don't see a location in the OP.

newSig.jpg