As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Classic martini that isn't awful?

Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships)Registered User regular
I'm perfectly willing to assume that this just might not be the drink for me, but I'm trying to mix a martini and enjoy a nice, classic drink, and it always turns out godawful. I've gone with light on the vermouth, heavy on the vermouth, dry vermouth, just gin that waves at the vermouth as it goes by, with olive, with onion, with lots of olive juice, used vodka instead, and every time I end up with a drink that does nothing to appeal to me. Am I doing something wrong, or should I just stick with gin and tonics?

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    What are you using for vermouth and liquor? Brand wise?

I mean, if you're using 2 1/2oz of the liquor and 1/2oz of vermouth, stirred, you should be golden.

One of the things that a lot of people fuck up on is not realizing that vermouth NEEDS to be refrigerated. It will go bad, it's just a fortified wine. If that vermouth has been sitting out, it's likely gone bad.

Esh on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Alternately, you've picked a gin that hates vermouth. Do you even like vermouth? Some like it on the rocks (me), while some might like Dubonnet instead.

• Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    Do you like straight gin to begin with? Because if you don’t like gin, nothing will make you like a gin martini.

• Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    I like a "perfect" martini.

2 1/2 oz gin (Hendrick's or Bombay Sapphire)
    1/2 oz dry vermouth
    1/2 oz rosso vermouth

Garnish with a lemon twist.

midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    Bagginses wrote: »
    Alternately, you've picked a gin that hates vermouth. Do you even like vermouth? Some like it on the rocks (me), while some might like Dubonnet instead.

There isn't really a gin that "hates" vermouth. I'd be curious to see what you think that is.
    supabeast wrote: »
    Do you like straight gin to begin with? Because if you don’t like gin, nothing will make you like a gin martini.

He obviously likes gin if he's drinking gin and tonics. In 8 years behind the bar I've seen maybe...two people order straight gin. A good vermouth will balance out the taste of straight gin. I highly recommend the Dolin variety.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I like gin a lot straight (and no ice) but never took to martinis; it's entirely possible that it's just not your poison.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Esh wrote: »

There isn't really a gin that "hates" vermouth. I'd be curious to see what you think that is.

He obviously likes gin if he's drinking gin and tonics. In 8 years behind the bar I've seen maybe...two people order straight gin. A good vermouth will balance out the taste of straight gin. I highly recommend the Dolin variety.

Gins have all sorts of botanical mixes, with some even neglecting juniper (although they need to have a juniper flavour in the US), so there are almost certainly some blends that don't play particularly well with wormwood. I'll grant that those are likely odd, smaller batch gins that the OP wouldn't be judging martinis in general by.

• Options

Gins have all sorts of botanical mixes, with some even neglecting juniper (although they need to have a juniper flavour in the US), so there are almost certainly some blends that don't play particularly well with wormwood. I'll grant that those are likely odd, smaller batch gins that the OP wouldn't be judging martinis in general by.

Yeah, I know. I've been bartending in some pretty nice places over the years and am friends with some of the best bartenders in the states. Also, wormwood is rarely, rarely found in vermouth anymore, so there's that...

• Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    I like gin a lot straight (and no ice) but never took to martinis; it's entirely possible that it's just not your poison.

Seeing as he listed about 8 combinations he's tried, yeah, I think maybe it's time to admit defeat on this one. How's that old saying go? Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me eight times, maybe I don't like martinis.

Although I'm interested to see where the great wormwood debate leads us. We've seen Esh's credentials, but maybe Bagginses can one up him here. Time will tell.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Hewn wrote: »

Seeing as he listed about 8 combinations he's tried, yeah, I think maybe it's time to admit defeat on this one. How's that old saying go? Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me eight times, maybe I don't like martinis.

Although I'm interested to see where the great wormwood debate leads us. We've seen Esh's credentials, but maybe Bagginses can one up him here. Time will tell.

Well, as the saying goes, a drink is only as good as its cheapest ingredient. A shitty vermouth (which most people use) is gonna break a martini.

EDIT: I'll swing by a couple places after classes tomorrow to ask a couple people. I have to head past those restaurants/bars anyway on my way to Powell's and then to eat oysters.

Esh on
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    Stick to gin and tonics. I love gin and I hate martinis as well, can't pin point why exactly. You'd think that with a passion for gin and olives a martini would be a no brainer drink for me but it doesn't seem like it's meant to be. But don't take my word for it, I have low-class tastes when it comes to alcohol. Gordons London Dry is my favorite gin and Wild Turkey is my bourbon. Shit, I got some Makers Mark for my birthday and I gave it away.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Elin wrote: »
    Stick to gin and tonics. I love gin and I hate martinis as well, can't pin point why exactly. You'd think that with a passion for gin and olives a martini would be a no brainer drink for me but it doesn't seem like it's meant to be. But don't take my word for it, I have low-class tastes when it comes to alcohol. Gordons London Dry is my favorite gin and Wild Turkey is my bourbon. Shit, I got some Makers Mark for my birthday and I gave it away.

Gordon's and Turkey are just fine liquors. Now, if you said Monarch...

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Esh or someone can correct me here, but one thing is that vermouth can actually go bad if you let it sit around opened for too long. Also it should be kept refrigerated after opening.

ASimPerson on
  • Options

Argument from authority. I was simply noting that if mixologists spend large amounts of time determining the ideal make of spirit to use in a cocktail, there is most likely a problematic make at the other end of the spectrum. Given that gin is much more varied than other spirits due to its infused nature, it stands to reason that the cohesiveness of a cocktail depends at least somewhat of the choice of gin, which is likely why gin cocktails are more likely than other cocktails to call for a specific brand when copyrights aren't involved (looking at you, dark and stormy).

Of course, this could all be like wine pairings in that it's something that obnoxious people do for marginal gains on enjoyment when simply drinking what you like is more effective and easier.

• Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Of course, this could all be like wine pairings in that it's something that obnoxious people do for marginal gains on enjoyment when simply drinking what you like is more effective and easier.

That's my take. I can't imagine the variation is great enough to suddenly change his mind. He might find it more tolerable, but that's not really worth the effort. Remember, he's describing them as "godawful." I love martinis, some more than others, but even the worst didn't offend me to the point of not taking some satisfaction. If a drink requires the perfect mix, with the perfect brands to be passable, I'm not sure it's a drink I'd get into personally.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Esh or someone can correct me here, but one thing is that vermouth can actually go bad if you let it sit around opened for too long. Also it should be kept refrigerated after opening.

Yep. I mentioned this in the second post.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Well, I don't know the science behind it but this is what works for me:

Bombay Sapphire Gin
    Martini + Rossi Dry Vermouth
    3 friggin huge green olives.

I add the vermouth to a shaker full of ice then drain it out. Add the Gin and let it set for 5 minutes in the fridge then pour into a chilled glass. Add the olives and I am a happy happy man.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Are you chilling the glass or mixing with ice then straining? Getting the temp down is key to a good martini.

• Options
    OH right, forgot to mention that part. The glass is chilled, then the whole shaker goes into the fridge while the gin absorbs the vermouth, then I pour into the glass.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    3's for me. 2 Shots vodka + 1 shot vermouth poured on 3 ice cubes and 3 olives. Stir till cold.

I try not to mix cheap with mid/expensive either. If I grab cheap vodka, that means I'm getting cheap vermouth.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    go to a nice cocktail bar and drink a couple if you're not sure if it's even 'your drink.' why mix yourself when you don't know what it tastes like and don't know if you'd like it anyway?

my only other advice: never drink a martini from a wine glass

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Could be the vermouth he's using, instead of the gin. I've found vermouth to be very hit or miss, and very finicky to work with.

Now, it's quite possible to just make a Vesper Martini instead, since it goes down much smoother (I find) and be all "Bond, James Bond".

• Options
    edited November 2012

Bombay Sapphire Gin
    Martini + Rossi Sweet Vermouth

I add the vermouth to a shaker full of ice then drain it out. Add the Gin and let it set for 5 minutes or so then pour. Add the olives and I am a happy happy man.

So much wrong here.

1. A martini uses dry vermouth, not sweet.
    2. You don't let it sit in ice for 5 minutes (waters it down waaaaaay too much). You put the ingredients (minus garnish) into a stainless steel shaking tin. FILL with ice. Stir 15-20 times one way, then 15-20 times the other way. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Add garnish. Good to go.

Esh on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Is it called something different if it uses sweet vermouth? Because otherwise he can't be wrong for enjoying what he enjoys and stop being a fucking douche.

If it is actually a different drink, that's a different story.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Is it called something different if it uses sweet vermouth? Because otherwise he can't be wrong for enjoying what he enjoys and stop being a fucking douche.

It would be a completely different drink. What that guy is drinking is closer to a Gin Martinez (lacking the maraschino and bitters though). A martini is gin (sometimes vodka), dry vermouth, done.

Digging through my drink books, that might be called a "Sweet Martini", but no one's drank one of those in almost 100 years. Basically what I'm saying is that if you walked into a bar and ordered a "Martini", Gin/Vodka and Dry Vermouth is what you're getting. I doubt 99% of bartenders would know what a Sweet Martini is.

Anyhoo, where's the OP?

Esh on
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    Hey Esh, is there any name besides a "perfect" (which is open to all kinds of interpretation) that would describe my dry/sweet martini preference to the average bar tender? I usually just describe it to bartenders when I order one.

midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    Midshipman wrote: »
    Hey Esh, is there any name besides a "perfect" (which is open to all kinds of interpretation) that would describe my dry/sweet martini preference to the average bar tender? I usually just describe it to bartenders when I order one.

Nope. That's the most common (and only that I know of) way. One worth his salt should know what you mean.

• Options

Bombay Sapphire Gin
    Martini + Rossi Sweet Vermouth

I add the vermouth to a shaker full of ice then drain it out. Add the Gin and let it set for 5 minutes or so then pour. Add the olives and I am a happy happy man.

So much wrong here.

1. A martini uses dry vermouth, not sweet.
    2. You don't let it sit in ice for 5 minutes (waters it down waaaaaay too much). You put the ingredients (minus garnish) into a stainless steel shaking tin. FILL with ice. Stir 15-20 times one way, then 15-20 times the other way. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Add garnish. Good to go.

Argh. You're right. I meant dry vermouth. Also, I let it sit on ice in the fridge so it doesn't water it down much.

• Options
    Anyway, the only use for sweet vermouth that I can think of is Manhattans. (Whiskey or bourbon and sweet vermouth.)

• Options

It would be a completely different drink. What that guy is drinking is closer to a Gin Martinez (lacking the maraschino and bitters though). A martini is gin (sometimes vodka), dry vermouth, done.

Digging through my drink books, that might be called a "Sweet Martini", but no one's drank one of those in almost 100 years. Basically what I'm saying is that if you walked into a bar and ordered a "Martini", Gin/Vodka and Dry Vermouth is what you're getting. I doubt 99% of bartenders would know what a Sweet Martini is.

Anyhoo, where's the OP?

Okay, that last part's pretty tenuous. "Sweet," "perfect," and "dry" are almost always in reference to vermouth type. Most bartenders will think you're just asking for a variation on the fly, but I can't imagine it tripping anyone up. I'm pretty sure you know this, so I'm going to chalk it up to a brain fart on one of our parts.
    Anyway, the only use for sweet vermouth that I can think of is Manhattans. (Whiskey or bourbon and sweet vermouth.)

Americano variants and possibly the el presidente.

• Options

Anyhoo, where's the OP?

Okay, that last part's pretty tenuous. "Sweet," "perfect," and "dry" are almost always in reference to vermouth type. Most bartenders will think you're just asking for a variation on the fly, but I can't imagine it tripping anyone up. I'm pretty sure you know this, so I'm going to chalk it up to a brain fart on one of our parts.

It's an extremely antiquated drink that hasn't come back into vogue unlike a lot of pre-prohibition drinks. If someone asked me for a Sweet Martini my response would be something like, "Sooooo, you want a...martini with sweet vermouth?". Like I said, many years (in one of the more serious cocktail cities in the country) and I've never had anyone order one. It's that rare.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Anyhoo, where's the OP?
    Experimenting. *hic!*
    *edit*
    And yes, I've been refrigerating the vermouth. The one constant has been Martini & Rossi vermouth, and I like both the regular and extra dry straight. Gin has been Gordon's, Beefeater, and Bombay (the vermouth bottle told me to!). I mix my drink's really cold - when my hands ache and the shaker's frosted over is when I know it's time to pour.

Straight gin is totally not my thing, but I like it in other mixed drinks.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Ok, well, those are all great martini gins, and while there are better vermouths, that's not a bad one. I think you might just not like martinis.

• Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    I agree with this. A gin martini is pretty much just a big glass of cold gin, and everything else is just window dressing.
    Also, in martinis I really notice a big difference from using the more expensive gin brands. If you're using bottom shelf gin it'll probably taste bad, whereas I don't really notice the difference in gin and tacos.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    That is my supposition, especially the ones that are mostly gin. So I've got an extra dry, and a regular bottle of vermouth, what should I do with them besides mix with gin?

• Options
    That is my supposition, especially the ones that are mostly gin. So I've got an extra dry, and a regular bottle of vermouth, what should I do with them besides mix with gin?

Drink them on the rocks with a twist of lemon.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    vermouth's great for cooking.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Vermouth mixes well with various whiskeys.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options

Drink them on the rocks with a twist of lemon.

Now this I agree with... except for the lemon. I hate lemon.

What else is in your liquor cabinets? Just adding something from the fridge to what we've confirmed you have, a bronx might be nice. There are both gold (yolk) and silver (white) versions, and I'm sure a royal (both) would be nice. A negroni would also possibly work with the dry we know you have if you use classic proportions rather that the more gin-heavy proportions that have become popular as gin quality has increased.

If you really want to give the people you're drinking with a heart attack, try a New Englander.