As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Don't Starve!] ...or get eaten by anything horrible. (But you totally will.)

• Options
    RichardRichard Registered User regular
    It might be a good idea to do a lot of dying at the start of the game. On my second play I'm 26 days in and counting but I'm pretty much scared of everything.

• Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    Really want to enjoy this game. It's charming, but I guess I'm not in the right mood to play it. It's been the same with FTL. We'll see if I end up in a roguelike mood in the next week or so.

6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    What do you do when you just cannot find flints or boulders fucking ANYWHERE? Like I'm so low on flints I'm afraid to chop down anymore trees.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Registered User regular
    "You are dead".

26 days in.
    Turns out too much spider meat can kill you.

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    What do you do when you just cannot find flints or boulders fucking ANYWHERE? Like I'm so low on flints I'm afraid to chop down anymore trees.

You can always die and try again. I've learned to be a bit more conservative with my flint now and my next aim will be golden tools as at least gold is an infinite resource (detailed in spoiler)
    Give the pig king meat and he gives you gold. Farm rabbits for meat as they can never be extinct.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Visit the pig people after a full moon for better trade values. It's like a stock market thing for how they decide what to give you. Especially the king.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    I have not yet found pig people. Can they be enslaved? I'm playing Imperialist! taming the wild, squashing the natives, exploiting natural resources.

Soon: tophat.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I couldn't tell if the pig people were hostile so I just stayed away from them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    You can cook it..
    Also 2 cooked eggs and 2 cooked meats make a hearty breakfast once you have that oven thingie..
    Oven? Theres more ways to cook than just the campfire/firepit? What do you need to make them? I got the Alchemy Engine and Science Machine already
    It's called Crock Pot or somesuch, you can research it for 50g, think it's in the "structures" menu. 4 items make new food ( and you can use flowers cones seeds etc as filler).

Meat, berries or carrots each make different foods, the more of them you put in, the more nutrition you get. So 1 meat 3 flowers is less nutritous than 3 meats 1 flower.
    The best part is is that you can use monster meat and it's not poisonous anymore after that.
    There are also other recipies, I'm not gonna spoil them :)

Drunken Bastard on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    What's the 'features implemented' to 'features planned but not yet available' ratio?

This does sound fantastic, but given my limited gaming time I prefer to save playing games until they're actually finished.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    It's called Crock Pot or somesuch, you can research it for 50g, think it's in the "structures" menu. 4 items make new food ( and you can use flowers cones seeds etc as filler).

Meat, berries or carrots each make different foods, the more of them you put in, the more nutrition you get. So 1 meat 3 flowers is less nutritous than 3 meats 1 flower.
    The best part is is that you can use monster meat and it's not poisonous anymore after that.
    There are also other recipies, I'm not gonna spoil them :)
    It's under the "Food" menu, actually.

A bit sad that I haven't met the pig people yet. But I'm okay, since my game currently has a pretty good spawn point in a grassland, with the second island full of swamp and quarry.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Alright, done for tonight. Advice in spoiler.
    Burning down a forest: bad thing? Not if you can use the charcoal to make a crock pot. Also, make a fire pit and spear ASAP. The pit is renewable, and I've found 3 or 4 logs will last you a whole night. The spear lasts a long time and is a huge bargain for the materials used.

Also, day 16 on my first playthrough and I'm still alive. :) Of course, I doubt I would've lasted that long if I didn't read this thread.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Just make sure all of you guys with Pig People go visit them during the full moon. They've got some cool stuff going on then.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Man. The crock pot is a GODSEND. Suddenly I can murder and eat spiders with no consequence.

Since I've already researched most of what I might need, I decided to save up points and get the top hat. Cause, you know...even in the woods trying not to starve, what are we without class?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    kraughmarkraughmar Kingston, ONRegistered User regular
    Yeah I considered making a post about this. Got into it a couple weeks ago. I'm sitting on a fully explored patch of land with full research and infinite food, so they drive to survive has resolved. Still, excellent game and glad for the continuous updates. I'll have to die sometime to unlock the rest of the characters though...

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    I agree. My straw hat is p boss.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Just make sure all of you guys with Pig People go visit them during the full moon. They've got some cool stuff going on then.

This feels like a trap.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    kraughmarkraughmar Kingston, ONRegistered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Man. The crock pot is a GODSEND. Suddenly I can murder and eat spiders with no consequence.

Since I've already researched most of what I might need, I decided to save up points and get the top hat. Cause, you know...even in the woods trying not to starve, what are we without class?

Yeah that seems to be the main point of having a crock pot for the moment. Berries and even meat do more for you by themselves, but monster meat can turn into tasty things over time. A few weeks ago could get regular Meat from spiders if you trapped them in box traps. That was a good time.

I now have every hat. I'm considering starting a new game and playing as a meat-atarian to give give some challenge. Or possibly a no-mining mode.

• Options
    Learned something important today. Don't attack the beefamoos. Because then it's just a huge stampede of DEATH.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Aaargh. Had such a great run going before Optimus Pine ruined my day. Need to figure out what controls him waking up, as I was replanting everything I cut down, and in past games, I've definitely chopped down more. Think it has to do with the amount of trees around, so, going into a forest and chopping stuff down is much more dangerous than chopping the single trees you find in the fields.

However, I discovered a kickass method of survival--place your fire pit in the range of 2+ rabbit holes, and just drop traps right on top of them. You'll be able to collect rabbits through the night. I had 15 bits of cooked rabbit by the time I met my end, and that was just on Day 4.

I fully expect that to be changed at some point so that a giant death bunny emerges if you harvest too many from the same place. :P

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    optimus pine is pretty easy to beat if you have a spear, you can usually get 3 hits in, then run away while he swings, you never get hit, and he dies fairly quickly. I started a fight with him at dusk and killed him/got back to my campfire before night hit

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    I have yet to see a rabbit hole, kinda weird. Haven't left the starting island, nor explored a bunch of the main one I'm on.

Do bee's have any benefit to your berry bushes?
    Also do flowers have a use besides the cooking pot?

The Crock pot is awesome.

Made it to day 25 or something til the Tree Avenger got me, when I had like 6% armor to start with.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    Flower petals heal health if you eat them raw.

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Oh man. I would have lasted longer if I knew that sooner. I was relying on food, which wasn't a problem with crops/berries. Was working off berries.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Lack of flint seems to be my biggest factor in how long I can survive, need that flint to chop trees, so I don't get eaten at night. So basically now I scour each island for all the rocks/flint I can find, then move on.

Anyone try using a sleeping roll without lighting a fire to see if you can safely pass through the night? I know you can use one + 1 log in a firepit and be fine, but if I didn't need the fire it would be easier. Maybe a bit of grass to light the fire would be all I need, then use the sleeping roll, going to do some tests later.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2012
    Pretty sure flint is one of the resources that isn't renewable.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    However, once you research gold tools, you can get infinite gold.

• Options
    Update hitting in about 2 hours.

• Options
    Do we know what's in the update?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »
    Do we know what's in the update?

Its posted in the OP. :)

• Options
    Oh. Well that'll teach me not to read.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Patch is live on Steam. Notes not up yet though. I'll post them as soon as they go up on the forum though.

• Options
    Well, even without patch notes I will tell you that you can now flush giant turkey's out of berry bushes.

• Options
    New features:
    Character differences! Now it matters who you pick!
    Pond fishing
    Hammer time - use the hammer to break apart structures
    Build and deploy preview interface to help you place things carefully
    New lighting equation, for more nighttime fun
    For steam: Chrome save/profile import

New stuff:
    A new bird type, and regional bird variation
    New hats: Feather and Miner
    Some new cooking recipes to discover (5 of them!)
    The Gobbler...

Tuning and Bug fixes:
    Graves don't reset when you load
    Never-closing chest now closes
    Crafting interface doesn't close automatically when you build something
    RMB drops deployables
    Gold doesn't always drop from rocks
    Fire now hurts you if you stand too close!
    Max stack size is a little smaller (sorry!)

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    New lighting equation, for more nighttime fun
    Gold doesn't always drop from rocks

nooooooooooo.jpg

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Gold not always dropping is gonna end up annoying me. I can already tell.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I'm nearing on 40 days and the only threat to me is the giant ent thing. He's angry with me because I may have kind of sort of burned 1/3rd of the world down to kill a spider nest.

I dont know how big or small worlds get, but my world feels pretty small after finally mapping the whole thing out. My camp is pretty much set up that I can survive forever so long as I dont do something stupid like going near pigland on a full moon, Or set the other 2/3rds of the world on fire.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    I just have one question.. Could this game be considered FTL in the forest?

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    if by FTL you mean sorta like a roguelike, but not quite, then sure. But beyond that the 2 games don't really have a lot in common.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Roguelike, but not really. A game where you'll die a lot, until you start to understand the mechanics, or until you get some good luck on your side.