As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Science fiction novel help?

InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
My partner is trying to remember a novel she read part of some time ago, and this is all the information she has:

"It's set on earth in the far future. People live forever (although I can't recall if everyone does, or just most people), and this is integral to the plot and to the characters. Almost the only specific detail I recall is that the repository of the world's knowledge is held in Tibet, perhaps controlled by a secret cabal.

It was not particularly good, but neither was it particularly bad, and I wish I had finished it to see how it ended.

This probably came out in the very early 2000s, and either the author or maybe a main character's name might be Michael."

Any ideas?

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Was there a monster in a space station named Caliban? I'm feeling like I know this.

• Options
    Was it Ilium, by Dan Simmons?

• Options
    Caliban in a space station is from the Ilium books by Dan Simmons, which I am pretty confident she doesn't mean. We talk about Simmons' books all the time; I think this is something different.

• Options
    Ok. I think I am gettting wires crossed. I think I read Ilium near the same time. Was there a crawler/elevator thing that sort of spidered its way around the world? It carried the main character to Tibet to get this knowledge, I think.

• Options
    I think I'm still thinking of Olympos.

• Options
    She is very confident it is set entirely on Earth; in response to the proposal of Ilium/Olympos, she said "Absolutely not; this is an Earth society, still living on Earth."

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    The only thing that comes to mind is Old Man's War, and it's most likely not that.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Is it Altered Carbon, maybe?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DumpShockDumpShock Does everyone? Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Lost Horizon maybe?
    Not from the early 2000's though......

DumpShock on
  • Options
    Altered Carbon seems the best bet so far, but we are still taking help. :)

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    This sounds like something by Heinlein. Does she remember whether the people had evolved to have no body hair and like... Retractable genitalia?

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Invictus wrote: »
    My partner is trying to remember a novel she read part of some time ago, and this is all the information she has:

"It's set on earth in the far future. People live forever (although I can't recall if everyone does, or just most people), and this is integral to the plot and to the characters. Almost the only specific detail I recall is that the repository of the world's knowledge is held in Tibet, perhaps controlled by a secret cabal.

It was not particularly good, but neither was it particularly bad, and I wish I had finished it to see how it ended.

This probably came out in the very early 2000s, and either the author or maybe a main character's name might be Michael."

Any ideas?

Dan Simmons, Olympus.

EDIT: Apparently not. Sorry :/

V1m on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I was wrong, the one I was thinking of was Clarke. Probably not this, but here it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_City_and_the_Stars