As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'm Not Sorry [Feminism]

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Wrote less and was still slower. Boom.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Wrote less and was still slower. Boom.

Nobody faults you for your tiny arms, smof

on account of they are afraid you will devour them.

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    THE POINT IS as soon as I'm done with The Color of Magic I'm starting a year of diverse reading.

• BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Look at me all ghostin' dinosaurs over here. The fuckin' ectoplasm of protoplasm.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    FortyTwo wrote: »
    Sheri wrote: »
    Can we talk about how people are flipping shit because a writer suggested that people take a year off of reading books by straight, cisgendered white men?

Can we talk about how baller Neil Gaiman is??

http://gizmodo.com/the-great-internet-debate-over-not-reading-white-men-1690376231

At the end of the school year i put on my board a list of books that I think would be awesome for my students to read. Granted I teach freshmen, so i have to keep that in mind. But I try to be diverse in topics and protagonists and authors. I try to keep it light, no real stories about heavy depressing subjects: in 9th grade alone my kids read "The Bluest Eye," "To Kill a Mockingbird," and "The Kite Runner." Basically they get a lot of death, racism, and rape in their lit.

I still find myself with a bit of a dearth of African-american and female voices on this list.

Suggestions to counter this?

the list in the past:

Fiction:
    Good Omens
    Anasi Boys
    Hitchhiker's (that will ALWAYS be on my list)
    Oscar Wao
    A Confederacy of Dunces

Nonfiction:
    Assassination Vacation
    Freakonomics

Comics:
    Ms. Marvel
    Bravest Warriors
    Captain Marvel
    Sandman
    The Watchmen

Octavia E. Butler is both black AND a lady. Samuel R. Delany is also black and the few of his books I've read were really feminist with strongly written female characters, also very dense with fantastic ideas. Kind of like a readable acid trip (I imagine).

For ladies of sci fi, I read my first Ursula K Le Guin a while ago and it was awesome

• FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Can we talk about how people are flipping shit because a writer suggested that people take a year off of reading books by straight, cisgendered white men?

http://gizmodo.com/the-great-internet-debate-over-not-reading-white-men-1690376231

At the end of the school year i put on my board a list of books that I think would be awesome for my students to read. Granted I teach freshmen, so i have to keep that in mind. But I try to be diverse in topics and protagonists and authors. I try to keep it light, no real stories about heavy depressing subjects: in 9th grade alone my kids read "The Bluest Eye," "To Kill a Mockingbird," and "The Kite Runner." Basically they get a lot of death, racism, and rape in their lit.

I still find myself with a bit of a dearth of African-american and female voices on this list.

the list in the past:

Fiction:
    Good Omens
    Anasi Boys
    Oscar Wao
    A Confederacy of Dunces

Nonfiction:
    Assassination Vacation
    Freakonomics

Comics:
    Ms. Marvel
    Bravest Warriors
    Captain Marvel
    Sandman
    The Watchmen

Octavia E. Butler is both black AND a lady. Samuel R. Delany is also black and the few of his books I've read were really feminist with strongly written female characters, also very dense with fantastic ideas. Kind of like a readable acid trip (I imagine).

OH YEAH. See I totally forgot about Butler. I read Kindred in college. That is going on the list this year.

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Authors who are awesome and teens might enjoy instead of white dudes:
    Patricia McKillip
    Patricia Wrede
    Robin McKinley (Deerskin is freaky though)
    Pat Cadigan
    Diana Wynne Jones
    Nicola Griffith
    Margaret Atwood
    Anne McCaffrey (beware of creepy sex)
    Tamora Pierce
    Naomi Novik
    E.L. Konigsburg
    Gail Carson Levine
    Jane Yolen
    Diane Duane
    Ellen Raskin
    Mary Robinette Kowal

Authors who are slightly more trashy/serious/naughty but still fun:
    Mur Lafferty
    Lauren Beukes
    Jaye Wells

Authors I have heard are good/fun but haven't read myself yet or only read short fiction:
    Kameron Hurley
    Amber Benson
    Beth Cato
    Cassandra Clarke
    Nnedi Okorafor
    Tananarive Due
    Catherynne Valente
    Seanan McGuire (aka Mira Grant)
    Silvia Moreno-Garcia
    Aliette de Bodard
    Alice Sheldon, aka James Tiptree Jr.
    Lois McMaster Bujold
    Elizabeth Bear
    Elizabeth Moon
    CJ Cherryh
    Leigh Bardugo
    Kristin Cashore
    Melina Marchetta
    Katherine Kerr
    Ann Rinaldi
    Karen Cushman
    Isobelle Carmody
    Noo Saro-Wiwa
    NoViolet Bulawayo
    Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
    Isak Dinesen (aka Karen Blixen)
    Tana French
    Hilary Mantel
    Yoon Ha Lee
    Banana Yoshimoto
    Sloane Crosley
    Marisha Pessl
    Irene Nemirovsky
    Ali Smith
    Sarah Waters
    Amy Bloom
    Lynne Reid Banks

Not my cup of tea but many people like them so you probably will, too, because what the hell do I know:
    Mercedes Lackey
    Robin Hobb
    Ursula LeGuin
    Susanna Clarke
    Susan Cooper

Non-fiction for when you get bored of fantasy realms:
    Mary Roach
    Sylvia Earle
    Deborah Blum
    Catharine Arnold

Quoth on
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Mary Doria Russell's The Sparrow is one of the most thought provoking works of sci fi I've ever read.

It needs more POC writers. I need to do some research. This was all off the top of my head.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

the list in the past:

Fiction:
    Good Omens
    Anasi Boys
    Oscar Wao
    A Confederacy of Dunces

Nonfiction:
    Assassination Vacation
    Freakonomics

Comics:
    Ms. Marvel
    Bravest Warriors
    Captain Marvel
    Sandman
    The Watchmen

Delany is also gay.

I'd definitely recommend Lumberjanes for the comics list. Fun, funny, feminist, and queer, and just an all around great all ages comic.

If you want some more feminist/gender-diverse science fiction in your list, Ursula K. Le Guin's Left Hand of Darkness would be a good place to start. Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale as well, though if you're trying to avoid heavy, depressing reads, maybe not so much.

this might be of interest as well: http://thedarkfantastic.blogspot.ca/

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    To the book depository!

Unfortunately, I got hell of books to read by white guys. Eh, Herman Hesse ain't going away.

Fuck off and die.
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Teju Cole, although his stuff is pretty heavy so maybe not. Lauren Beukes (Zoo City) - white author but her protagonists usually aren't (she's South African).

Seconding Ursula LeGuin (Left Hand of Darkness perhaps). If you do the EarthSea trilogy, its worth examining how almost no characters in there are white (and in fact are explicitly stated not to be), but they still apparently managed to totally whitewash the tv adaptation. Actually there's a lot of meta-text to explore in that series, with the way that LeGuin kept coming back to that world long afterwards and trying to 'fix' what she saw as problematic elements in her own writing.

Exactly. The white guys aren't going away. But the ladies might because if no one buys their work they will not get paid to make more.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Quoth wrote: »
    Patricia McKillip
    Patricia Wrede
    Robin McKinley
    Pat Cadigan
    Diana Wynne Jones
    Nicola Griffith
    Margaret Atwood
    Anne McCaffrey

Mur Lafferty
    Lauren Beukes
    Jaye Wells

Authors I have heard are good/fun but haven't read myself yet or only read short fiction:
    Kameron Hurley
    Mary Robinette Kowal
    Amber Benson
    Beth Cato
    Cassandra Clarke
    Nnedi Okorafor
    Tananarive Due
    Catherynne Valente
    Seanan McGuire
    Silvia Moreno-Garcia

I would recommend seanen maguire for teens (her urban fantasy series with female protagonist is fun) and gail carriger has some neat fantasy/steampunk stuff that they might like as well!

So It Goes on
    Yeah my logic is "the white guys will be there next year"

A BBC producer is getting death threats on Twitter after he recklessly endangered Jeremy Clarkson's knuckles.

I know this isn't really a feminist issue, but I thought it was an unusual instance of how victim blaming can even happen to a well-off white guy if the other guy is even richer, older and (by all metrics barring actual skin tone) whiter.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    The Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley is one of the books I'm working through now. I can't say that I'm a fan so far.

Some SFF women of various degrees of weightiness, with the book of theirs that I'd recommend as the best starting place:
    Julie Kagawa (The Immortal Rules)
    Ann Leckie (Ancillary Justice)
    Carrie Vaugh (Kitty and the Midnight Hour)
    Jacqueline Carey (Kushiel's Dart)
    Gail Carriger (Soulless)
    Connie Willis (Blackout and All Clear)

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    A BBC producer is getting death threats on Twitter after he recklessly endangered Jeremy Clarkson's knuckles.

I know this isn't really a feminist issue, but I thought it was an unusual instance of how victim blaming can even happen to a well-off white guy if the other guy is even richer, older and (by all metrics barring actual skin tone) whiter.

5 MILLION points from Whovian House for linking to the Daily Mail.

The House Cup is now far beyond your reach.

The death threats are probably coming from the Daily Mail.

I do like how they picked photos of Clarkson that are particularly red-faced and aggressive. Not that that's difficult.

• FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

the list in the past:

Fiction:
    Good Omens
    Anasi Boys
    Oscar Wao
    A Confederacy of Dunces

Nonfiction:
    Assassination Vacation
    Freakonomics

Comics:
    Ms. Marvel
    Bravest Warriors
    Captain Marvel
    Sandman
    The Watchmen

Delany is also gay.

I'd definitely recommend Lumberjanes for the comics list. Fun, funny, feminist, and queer, and just an all around great all ages comic.

If you want some more feminist/gender-diverse science fiction in your list, Ursula K. Le Guin's Left Hand of Darkness would be a good place to start. Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale as well, though if you're trying to avoid heavy, depressing reads, maybe not so much.

Yeah Lumberjanes FTW.

The comics list is probably going to grow this year as so much is coming out now it has really re-invigorated my comic lust.

Though I think I would get in trouble for recommending Sex Criminals.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Also he didn't actually punch anyone and Clarkson himself reported the incident to the BBC.

Still not cool to yell at people and swear at them.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Sofi Oksanen is someone I've been interested in. I've already been reading up on Baltic history a bit, so it'll be great to see what she has to say on the matter. Buying an e-book right now.

Also, this is perhaps appropriate for this thread: Congratulations to Joanna Jedrzejczyk on capturing the women's 115 lbs UFC belt last night. A brutal goddamn display and a great sign of things to come from the women in the sport.

Fuck off and die.
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Quoth wrote: »
    Patricia McKillip
    Patricia Wrede
    Robin McKinley
    Pat Cadigan
    Diana Wynne Jones
    Nicola Griffith
    Margaret Atwood
    Anne McCaffrey

Mur Lafferty
    Lauren Beukes
    Jaye Wells

Kameron Hurley
    Mary Robinette Kowal
    Amber Benson
    Beth Cato
    Cassandra Clarke
    Nnedi Okorafor
    Tananarive Due
    Catherynne Valente
    Seanan McGuire
    Silvia Moreno-Garcia

I would recommend seanen maguire for teens (her urban fantasy series with female protagonist is fun) and gail carriger has some neat fantasy/steampunk stuff that they might like as well!

The balance I am also trying to strike is getting not just stuff considered for YA audiences. Like I have put up Marquez and considered Zadie Smith - but that might be a little beyond them.

I have also tried to find things that are lighter, because GOD DAMN their reading list in high school is just the saddest darkest stuff.

Yeah I was gonna suggest Zadie Smith but you said lighter, so ...

I've got a bunch of authors in the back of my brain but I'll have to go rummage through my bookshelves to remember their names.

Fyndir wrote: »

Man cut me some slack I've been doing homework all day.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I don't read a ton of books, but I think most of the books I've read recently are by women or...stephen king

Has anyone here read Smoketown?

Thoughts?

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I really liked the Agent of Hel series by Jacqueline Carey.

As well as the Raine Benares series by Lisa Shearin

Psykoma on
    I'm trying to get work done in a cafe with about six under-fives running around, and I think my ovaries just spontaneously shrivelled up.

Fearghaill wrote: »

the list in the past:

Fiction:
    Good Omens
    Anasi Boys
    Oscar Wao
    A Confederacy of Dunces

Nonfiction:
    Assassination Vacation
    Freakonomics

Comics:
    Ms. Marvel
    Bravest Warriors
    Captain Marvel
    Sandman
    The Watchmen

Delany is also gay.

Yeah Lumberjanes FTW.

The comics list is probably going to grow this year as so much is coming out now it has really re-invigorated my comic lust.

Though I think I would get in trouble for recommending Sex Criminals.

Sex Criminals is one of those that I read and go "OK. It's good. I recognize the qualities within this that make it good. People who like this do so for good reasons. But nope, not doing anything for me personally, sorry."

Other authors to add to the list of women writing SFF: Jo Walton, Mira Grant, N. K. Jemisin, Naomi Novik, Lois McMaster Bujold, and Catherynne M. Valente. I haven't read anything by Valente yet - Palimspest is on my list. The others I like, but I'm not wild about. But LMB co-holds the record for most Hugos, so that might be a defect in my taste more than anything else.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »

Man cut me some slack I've been doing homework all day.

You see that M there instead of a B?

There's your slack, like half an alphabet of it.

Doing some research I really need to check out Minister Faust.

Slightly absurdist sci-fi you say?

tumblr_inline_mx5gpjLigX1r3tdto_zpsv5qvissr.gif

• BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    ARGH YES

I've been wanting to bring up Steven Universe again for a while.

First episode this week revealed a same-sex love involving one of the main characters, and it was handled really well.

And that article doesn't even cover what happened on Thursday, during the two-parter.

tagging this because it has big late-season spoilers, be warned
    Garnet was revealed (more like confirmed) to be a fusion between two gems, Ruby and Sapphire, both of whom are roughly Steven sized, and both are madly in love with each other.

They demonstrate this, and the power of that relationship, in the most amazing way possible.

I'm just gonna drop this here because nothing I say can possible do this clip justice.

If you are still on the fence about this show, WATCH THIS RIGHT NOW

I'm making it a text link because recent youtube videos don't embed properly right now.

I have been in awe of how beautiful and well-made this show is, and it just keeps getting better and better, and I can't even

Ah Steven Universe
    Where the climax of the season finale is a social darwinist receiving and epic beatdown from a same sex marriage of color

I love this show,

...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Goatmon wrote: »
    ARGH YES

I've been wanting to bring up Steven Universe again for a while.

First episode this week revealed a same-sex love involving one of the main characters, and it was handled really well.

And that article doesn't even cover what happened on Thursday, during the two-parter.

tagging this because it has big late-season spoilers, be warned
    Garnet was revealed (more like confirmed) to be a fusion between two gems, Ruby and Sapphire, both of whom are roughly Steven sized, and both are madly in love with each other.

They demonstrate this, and the power of that relationship, in the most amazing way possible.

I'm just gonna drop this here because nothing I say can possible do this clip justice.

If you are still on the fence about this show, WATCH THIS RIGHT NOW

I'm making it a text link because recent youtube videos don't embed properly right now.

I have been in awe of how beautiful and well-made this show is, and it just keeps getting better and better, and I can't even

Ah Steven Universe
    Where the climax of the season finale is a social darwinist receiving and epic beatdown from a same sex marriage of color

I love this show,

Holy shit that was great

I've said it a lot, but I am never prepared for how real shit gets on that show.

sarukun on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Wait, did they just leave a little girl to die?

• BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Centuries from now archaeologists will struggle to determine how popped corn went from staple of cultures thatfirst

I want to know where this draft was going

...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
    sarukun wrote: »
    Centuries from now archaeologists will struggle to determine how popped corn went from staple of cultures thatfirst

I want to know where this draft was going

To a beautiful graveyard, by an insane asylum, with a slightly odd boss.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Wait, did they just leave a little girl to die?
    She is a magic alien, they're pretty tough, she survives.

This discussion has been closed.