As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Time Magazine's 100 Greatest Video Games

AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
edited November 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, Time has decided to compile a list of what they consider the top 100 video games of all time. To be fair, it's better than I expected - there are some genuine surprises among the list. Still, there are some clear gaps - Slate points out a rather large one.

So, what do you think they got right? And what do you think they got wrong?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
Jacobkosh on

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    No Fallout...
    No TF2...

Yeah, this is a terrible list.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    There's Cave Story on that list, so it isn't complete rubbish.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    There's Cave Story on that list, so it isn't complete rubbish.

Yeah, there actually is some good thought in the list, but there's a few questionable choices as well.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2012
    No Planescape Torment, no FO1/2, no baldur's gate, no betrayal at krondor, no darklands. Just disgraceful.

spacekungfuman on
  • Options
    Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    mrt144 wrote: »
    No Fallout...
    No TF2...

;_;
    No Planescape Torment, no FO1/2, no baldur's gate, no betrayal at krondor, no darklands. Just disgraceful.

Wait...so there are NO Isometric RPGS at all? Okay, now I just know the list has to be bad. Obsidian just got $4 mil in crowdfunding to build a new Isometric RPG. No way you can miss out on many of those older Obsidian/Black Isle/Bioware titles; they largely defined the genre of PC RPG in comparison to the largely action-adventure oriented J-RPGs on consoles.

Fallout2man on
    On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Also, they included Oblivion, which automatically invalidates the whole thing.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The best game of all-time (X-COM) is missing, so that's a problem. Mega Man should be Mega Man 2. I'm sure there's some other obvious stuff, but I'm headed out the door. I'll check more closely later.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Minecraft omission is terrible.

But are we talking about "greatest" in the "these games are the greatest bro!" sense or in the "these games have the greatest influence upon video games" sense? The large amount of classic games makes me think it's more the latter.

If that's the case, here's what I think:

I would exchange Mass Effect 3 for Mass Effect 2, because 3 was an extension of 2, and 2 took all the rough parts of 1, combined it with a really fun action component, streamlined the RPG parts, and still managed to be one hell of a fun rollercoaster experience.

Oblivion should be Morrowind. I liked Oblivion, but Morrowind was the first time Bethesda managed to reach what they were trying to achieve with Daggerfall and Arena.

The exclusion of Fallout 1 and Baldur's Gate are terrible.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    I appreciated Myth: the Fallen Lords, cause I was into that back in the day (apparently, the ratio is 1:6 against me here).

My summary view of the situation: "best N of X" lists are always vaguely silly and an occasion for endless nerd rage.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Also, that being said, the people voting in that poll are philistines for overwhelmingly saying that Hunt the Wumpus doesn't belong. Hunt the Wumpus was a formative moment for gaming! No sense of history tsk tsk.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Pac-Man? Really? I can't help but feel that list is a result of the sites demographic having not played a video game since 1982.

• Options
    No Xcom was a terrible omission.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    The list:
    Pac-Man
    Super Mario Bros.
    Pong
    Space Invaders
    The Oregon Trail
    Tetris
    Donkey Kong
    The Legend of Zelda
    Asteroids
    Breakout
    Mortal Kombat
    Doom
    Frogger
    Street Fighter II
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Mass Effect 3
    Goldeneye 007
    Grand Theft Auto III
    Contra
    Galaga
    Punch-Out!!
    StarCraft
    Super Mario 64
    SimCity 2000
    Final Fantasy VII
    Metal Gear Solid
    World of Warcraft
    Halo: Combat Evolved
    Civilization
    Centipede
    Portal
    Pitfall!
    Metroid
    Paperboy
    Mega Man
    Solitaire
    Defender
    Diablo II
    Castlevania
    Resident Evil
    Half-Life 2
    Battlezone
    BioShock
    Quake
    The Sims
    Counter-Strike
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    Tomb Raider
    Guitar Hero
    Myst
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    Angry Birds
    The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    Tecmo Bowl
    NBA Jam
    Prince of Persia
    OutRun
    Chrono Trigger
    King’s Quest
    Gears of War
    Wii Sports
    Joust
    Castle Wolfenstein
    Wing Commander
    Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards
    Deus Ex
    Splinter Cell
    Zork
    Madden NFL 95
    Silent Hill
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Batman: Arkham City
    EverQuest
    Demon’s Souls
    Adventure
    Lode Runner
    Metroid Prime
    Rock Band
    Ōkami
    Tempest
    Ultima Online
    Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty
    Ico
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
    Grim Fandango
    Thief: The Dark Project
    Katamari Damacy
    Braid
    Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
    Animal Crossing
    Marathon
    Flower
    M.U.L.E.
    Desktop Tower Defense
    Cave Story
    NetHack
    Hunt the Wumpus
    Myth: The Fallen Lords
    Rez

Glaring omissions (in my opinion):
    -Minecraft
    -Planescape: Torment
    -Dragon's Lair
    -Mario Paint
    -Nintendogs
    -X-COM
    -Ms. Pac-Man
    -Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines

Taramoor on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Is there no Pokemon on that list or am I missing it?

edit: nope, no Pokemon. hm.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    doesn't include daikatana
    fail

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I came here expecting a Time Magazine cover with something like "Gaming Culture Destroying Civilization."

I really wouldn't put it past them.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Was that list compiled via 'man on the street' interviews in a nursing home?

• Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I came here expecting a Time Magazine cover with something like "Gaming Culture Destroying Civilization."

I really wouldn't put it past them.

That's nest weeks headline.

The week after that, "How Computer Gaming Saves Lives."

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Amy gaming list missing x-com isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Well, these lists are always intended to drive discussion and comments, and there's always going to be something missing or misplaced.

And this one is a poll, it's not even curated, with no explanation or discussion. There isn't even a note over whether these are the best or the most influential.

It's an interesting list, though. Braid, Cave Story, MULE, Marathon, and Rez are unusual additions but I don't disagree with any of them. Between those inclusions and stuff like NetHack and Hunt the Wumpus, it's clear they polled some people who really do know what they're talking about.

I'm happy to see Solitaire and Angry Birds on there - most of these lists, because they're compiled by gamers, don't adequately take casual gaming into account. I'd argue that any list of the top 100 greatest (read: most influential) games of all time should at least feature a few of Solitaire, Minesweeper, Bejeweled, Farmville, Angry Birds, and/or Words With Friends.

Honestly, it's probably a better list overall than the stuff IGN likes to crank out every so often when they need to troll geekdom for page views.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    No Fallout...
    No TF2...

;_;

Wait...so there are NO Isometric RPGS at all? Okay, now I just know the list has to be bad. Obsidian just got $4 mil in crowdfunding to build a new Isometric RPG. No way you can miss out on many of those older Obsidian/Black Isle/Bioware titles; they largely defined the genre of PC RPG in comparison to the largely action-adventure oriented J-RPGs on consoles.

You know, I think it would be interesting to publish a feature on the greatest games of all time - not a list, but a series of "family trees" with discussion.

For example, one article could talk about Wizardry, and how that influenced Bard's Tale and Might and Magic, which leads into the next article on...

...the D&D Gold Box series, like Pools of Radiance, which would branch into two articles, the first on...

AOL Neverwinter Nights, which would also shout-out to DikuMUD and talk about Everquest and World of Warcraft...

And the second on early isometric RPGs like Baldur's Gate and how they led to the Elder Scrolls series and 3D single-player open-world RPGs...

There could be similar family trees for shooters (Maze War -> Faceball -> Wolfenstein 3D -> Marathon & Doom -> Quake & System Shock -> Half Life and Halo -> Battlefield 1942, etc.)

Hmm...

Anybody have a video game site they want content for? :D

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    No Fallout...
    No TF2...

The creation of a multi-million dollar hat based economy should not go unnoticed.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    Madden 95 doesn't make much sense. If you want to do a quintessential football game (besides TECMO), I think it has to be NFL 2k. The 2k franchise changed everything about football/basketball games.

I'm glad Rez got some attention but I don't know if it's that great. Someone could definitely make a new version and make it that great though.

It's hard to complain about a lot of these though. You really just can't fit all 100 in and basically all of these are important. Fallout seems like the biggest omission, but for importance I wouldn't even put BG.

I think this is still better than Spike's VGA lists.

• Options
    Fallout introduced Perks, something that RPGs really didnt have, AMIRITE?

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Grand Theft Auto 3 wasn't the best of the series, list automatically flawed.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    The greatest 4X game of all time, Alpha Centauri (and its expansion) are missing, so yeah, no good.

• Options
    Feral wrote: »
    No Fallout...
    No TF2...

;_;

You know, I think it would be interesting to publish a feature on the greatest games of all time - not a list, but a series of "family trees" with discussion.

For example, one article could talk about Wizardry, and how that influenced Bard's Tale and Might and Magic, which leads into the next article on...

...the D&D Gold Box series, like Pools of Radiance, which would branch into two articles, the first on...

AOL Neverwinter Nights, which would also shout-out to DikuMUD and talk about Everquest and World of Warcraft...

And the second on early isometric RPGs like Baldur's Gate and how they led to the Elder Scrolls series and 3D single-player open-world RPGs...

There could be similar family trees for shooters (Maze War -> Faceball -> Wolfenstein 3D -> Marathon & Doom -> Quake & System Shock -> Half Life and Halo -> Battlefield 1942, etc.)

Hmm...

Anybody have a video game site they want content for? :D

You had me until the golden age RPGs somehow evolved into TES. What the fuck, man?

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    The greatest 4X game of all time, Alpha Centauri (and its expansion) are missing, so yeah, no good.

To be fair, it's technically influential, so you'd go with Civ there.

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Sorry, Pokemon is handily a greater omission than Minecraft. Or anything else. That's a fucking shame. Pretty sure we could do without Leisure Suit Larry and slot in a game series that has been massively successful like a decade and a half now, and pretty much stands as the touchstone game for the childhood of an entire generation.

Yeah I feel fairly strongly about that one.

• Options
    You had me until the golden age RPGs somehow evolved into TES. What the fuck, man?

Yeah, that was a brainfart. What happened was I was editing that in notepad and switched around a bunch of stuff and didn't proofread when I was done.

• Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    Ultima IV, but not Ultima VII Part One or Two? Missing Neverwinter Nights?

Lack of Master of Magic? No Age of Wonders?

Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?

• Options
    EupfhoriaEupfhoria Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    I appreciated Myth: the Fallen Lords, cause I was into that back in the day (apparently, the ratio is 1:6 against me here).

:^:

to be completely fair though , if the criteria is about how much influence the games had, I can accept the Myth games not being on the list since as far as I know there hasn't been much (anything?) quite like them since

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I loved the story-telling style and content of the first two Myth games. So well done and so ... just fantastical.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm not too concerned about a publication that in no way specialized in something put out a list about that something.

• Options
    Another oversight: no game that used the SCUMM engine, particularly either Maniac Mansion itself or Secret of Monkey Island. To the best of my knowledge, those were the two games that proved games could be funny. Especially Monkey Island.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Considering there are plenty of other games that you guys feel should've made it to their list (agreed on Minecraft and Pokemon, at least... haven't played the others), what do you guys think they could have taken out?

The list looks like a mish-mash of stuff that's halfway between "these are the best games" and "these are the most influential games", and they kind of forget which criteria to stick to.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Wing Commander but no Wing Commander III. No TIE Fighter or XWing. No Warcraft, no Starcraft, no C&C....

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Haven't played minecraft but I understand it well enough to agree it should be on the list along with Pokemon. I'm a bit surprised they don't have a Command & Conquer or a Heroes of Might and Magic on there.

I do like how they're shooting for influential since that's a bit easier to quantify over what people consider the best games.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Changed the thread title to something less teeth-grindingly hyperbolic.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    And the new title isn't?