As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Strap on a job helmet and squeeze down into a job cannon [Job Thread]

MortalToasterMortalToaster Registered User regular
edited January 2013 in Social Entropy++
Any exciting plans for you folks at work in 2013? I'm planning on making a career change this summer after I finish up a project in March.

MortalToaster on

• Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    Well, I applied for a job at Big Fish Games. If I get it, my life will improve immensely, plus I'll use my degree while working for a video game company. Wish me luck!

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Now that I've got a stable schedule, I'm gonna start looking into any schools around here that do online courses. I've already gone to university once for the arts, getting a degree in the sciences seems like it would pay off

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Planning on using some of my sweet sweet paid time off now that my probationary period and the holidays are through.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    how am I going to combine 48 hours of travel with three major deadlines? By the power of TECHNOLOGY.

Meaning I hope to fuck i can find free wifi in some of the airports I'm hitting up in the next few days.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm setting time aside tomorrow for some mental breakdown time. Otherwise known in the common tongue as "writing cover letters".

now that I have my 2 year work visa, I can actually start applying to real jobs and hoping that they'll either hire me or they'll at least inform me that they're not hiring me because I am somehow flawed as an individual. And not just use the excuse of "your visa sucks".

• Options
    cover letters blow.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    cover letters blow.
    So very much.

I think I must be terrible at writing them as once I started using decent recruiters I was getting more more attention.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    i can't write a resume for myself for shit and it has fucking crippled me thus far you guys

it's like, I'm 18 and just out of highschool, and I just feel like I don't have anything worthwhile to put on there

all of the volunteer shit i've ever done I did when i was, what, 10-13?

I suck at every language i've attempted

I've only ever had one job, and while that's something at least it it still just doesn't feel like enough

oh and my GPA in highschool was shit

help me you guys

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    literally the only stuff i can ever come up with that seems like it would MAYBE be attractive to an prospective employer is knowledge about computers and shit, and none of that is formal so

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Well, I applied for a job at Big Fish Games. If I get it, my life will improve immensely, plus I'll use my degree while working for a video game company. Wish me luck!

Good luck! :)

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    That feeling when you want and need a gig, but you're not sure if you'll be the one selected for it. Maaaaan...

• Options
    how am I going to combine 48 hours of travel with three major deadlines? By the power of TECHNOLOGY.

Meaning I hope to fuck i can find free wifi in some of the airports I'm hitting up in the next few days.

@tynic

Which airports? Also, will your company allow you to expense internet access if need be?

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I put in a request for a two-week vacation recently. The site my job uses for scheduling tracks every time-off request you've ever made. As I was looking it over, I realized that I'm a dedicated goddamn employee.

In the nearly-two years I've been here, I've never once requested more than two days off. Like, never ever. And of those requests, the vast majority were just locking down days I typically have off anyway.

• Options
    JoeUser wrote: »

@tynic

Which airports? Also, will your company allow you to expense internet access if need be?

Heathrow and Qatar. And possibly, actually! I never thought about it but if it's reasonably priced then I think that would be perfectly ok.

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I think Heathrow has wifi.

also, hi kids. I'm out of school which means oh god I need a job. Same story as the last six months, except now it's not "forward thinking," it's "panic mode".

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    I've got an interview next week for a position as an x-ray assistant at a hospital in the outer suburbs. If I get it it's a foot in the door for work in a research laboratory someday.

For about 20 minutes after I got the call I was walking around going "ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod" in my head.

• Options
    I think Heathrow has wifi.

also, hi kids. I'm out of school which means oh god I need a job. Same story as the last six months, except now it's not "forward thinking," it's "panic mode".

It does but you have to pay. I've sometimes had luck scavenging off the club lounges, but last time I was there they'd managed to block that.

• Options

@tynic

Heathrow and Qatar. And possibly, actually! I never thought about it but if it's reasonably priced then I think that would be perfectly ok.

It looks like Heathrow uses Boingo, which is a pretty common provider. It looks like you can get a 24 hour pass for about 10 pounds, and I think they have smaller time increments too.

You should also look into one of the airport lounges if you really need to get work done. They include wifi and are generally much quieter and have real areas to work in.

Look into the Servisair Executive Lounge or the No. 1 Lounge. They range from 18 to 30 pounds but would probably be worth it.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    woo gonna get some OT this weekend

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    I've got an interview next week for a position as an x-ray assistant at a hospital in the outer suburbs. If I get it it's a foot in the door for work in a research laboratory someday.

For about 20 minutes after I got the call I was walking around going "ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod" in my head.

I am the biggest worrywart when it comes to interviews and the like. I end up stressing myself out to the point where I get nauseous all the time and can't sleep well the night before. Then I go in and two minutes into the interview I feel fine. I really wish I could convince myself to cut that shit out.

ANYWAY, today/next week I'll be sanity checking all of our new images to make sure that they deploy properly, have all the shit they need, etc. Then we fire them off to our tech deployment warehouse folk (my old job) and they will begin using those on the new machines. Here's hoping I don't fuck anything up!

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Oh hey, here's the job thread.

So far I'm pretty happy just casually working during my holidays in a warehouse, just processing clothes to be store-ready. Almost my entire team is great to work with, just hanging out, shooting the shit while working and having fun doing so. I'll definitely enjoy the week-long break I've gotten though so I can join HyperBallad up the coast with her family on their vacation. I'll probably miss work a little though, except for this one dude I've been put with on the same shift.

Holy hell this guy, he has to be one of the mist ignorant, high and mighty type of people I've ever met. Very intelligent, however he loves to prove to other people he's smart by putting down so much of what we say. He's also one of those guys who gets under your skin on purpose "just for a laugh." And it really pisses me off even more so than normal when he takes that attitude to some of the interesting, and usually balanced, discussions we have at work. The worst I can remember is that one guy mentioned his friend at high school was given someone to write for him in his final exams seeing as he broke his hand shortly before they began. Then the asshole jumps in to discuss how people with autism, or dyslexia "have it easy" and "should consider themselves lucky" because they get given more academic guidance and special provisions due to their circumstances. I was wary at this point, and just nudged here and there to make sure none of us were misunderstanding his words, but no he talks about how he'd prefer to have either of those conditions so he'd be "treated better" than the rest.

Some of us even pointed out the social ramifications that come with baggage like that, and I specifically mentioned how people who have autism or dyslexia are bullied because of it. His response?

"Well, look, you can't guarantee they'd ever be bullied! If I were them I'd still see it as a blessing and get over it!"

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    @Gatsby what the christ. Also I love the fact that a guy with obviously no knowledge of the disorders just thinks people should "get over it" if they have it. Because that's something that's just as easily done as suggested!

Some people.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    If one more TA comes in and asks me if the evaluations that I am working on right in front of them are finished I'm just going to throw them all at their face and leave.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    should be hearing about my raise sometime in the next week or two

i am backlogged till march so that's good

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    So our network was set up by some guy, we'll call him Jimmy.
    Jimmy no longer works for the company.
    I need permissions to do administrative things.
    Jimmy doesn't want to give me permissions to the network that I need full access to that he doesn't work on anymore.

What the fuck, Jimmy?

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    If one more TA comes in and asks me if the evaluations that I am working on right in front of them are finished I'm just going to throw them all at their face and leave.

Do it.

Dooooo iiiiiit.

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Jimmy is a dick.

• Options
    godmode wrote: »
    Jimmy doesn't want to give me permissions to the network that I need full access to that he doesn't work on anymore.

What the fuck, Jimmy?

Some people are so goddamn power-hungry, even over stuff they shouldn't have power over anymore.
    Some of the people in our security department are like that. They would routinely lock us out of our own server, and end up bringing production to a standstill. When you have 40 computers you're trying to get out same-day and restore people's data from a server that you have suddenly no access to, tempers tend to flare.

• Options
    godmode wrote: »

What the fuck, Jimmy?

@godmode

Looks like you get to test the security of your network now!

• Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    Somehow, out of the majority of the technical support team that I work on, I am ALWAYS the person my teammates go to for help on computer-related issues. Like, I just got called over because someone's resolution was wonky.

This is a technical support team, damnit, this is what you get paid to do.

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    Does anyone here write short fiction?

Like short stories that go into publications, magazines, some type of syndication?

Just wanna ask a few questions.

Maybe this is a better question to post in Writer's Block.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Well I mean, I also have the password to the Administrator account (After Jimmy asked around to find out what my experience is), but the Administrator account does not have permissions to do what I need to do right now.

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    i can't write a resume for myself for shit and it has fucking crippled me thus far you guys

it's like, I'm 18 and just out of highschool, and I just feel like I don't have anything worthwhile to put on there

all of the volunteer shit i've ever done I did when i was, what, 10-13?

I suck at every language i've attempted

I've only ever had one job, and while that's something at least it it still just doesn't feel like enough

oh and my GPA in highschool was shit

help me you guys

You're 18 and just out of high school; you're going to get entry level jobs... work retail in the mall, work as a server in a restaurant, just get some experience in something that interests you (or that you think you can learn from). Also, they're not going to care about your GPA, so don't worry about that.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    you're not supposed to have a resume when you're 18

you're supposed to have a piece of paper with your phone number on it, indicating you have a heartbeat and basic brain function

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Jasconius wrote: »

you're supposed to have a piece of paper with your phone number on it, indicating you have a heartbeat and basic brain function

MAKE SURE YOU SPELL YOUR NAME PROPERLY!
    I may have sent out resumes once with my name misspelled in my email address. Which is my first and last name @ gmail.com
    I saw it and just shouted GOD DAMMIT.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

Also if you can come up with something about yourself to go in your cover letter, it will demonstrate that you can at least put words together in a sensible order.

• Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    I have literally never had to write a cover letter, but I can put words together good.

• Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    Well, my job search is in full swing. My current job is fine for now, but I can't see myself doing this job function for longer than a year. I'm bored because the work is too easy and there's no opportunity for me to take on any extra responsibilities. Plus, I'm not doing anything legal related and I spent too much time and money on becoming a lawyer to not actually do lawyer work.

Fortunately, my wife and I have been entertaining the idea of moving back to California, so my search area isn't limited to where we currently live. So far I've applied to 7 jobs; I have no expectation of hearing back from any of them, but at least my resume is out there.

Also, I set up a networking lunch next week with one of my company's outside counsel, so hopefully something positive will come out of that. I'd like to stay with the company; the people are nice here. I just need to be in legal rather than doing what I'm currently doing.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular

@tynic

It looks like Heathrow uses Boingo, which is a pretty common provider. It looks like you can get a 24 hour pass for about 10 pounds, and I think they have smaller time increments too.

You should also look into one of the airport lounges if you really need to get work done. They include wifi and are generally much quieter and have real areas to work in.

Look into the Servisair Executive Lounge or the No. 1 Lounge. They range from 18 to 30 pounds but would probably be worth it.

The servisair lounge is really good! Free wifi and drinks/snacks. It was really quiet when I was in it.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    literally the only stuff i can ever come up with that seems like it would MAYBE be attractive to an prospective employer is knowledge about computers and shit, and none of that is formal so

Go work in a computer store.

It's retail, but selling shit you know.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
This discussion has been closed.