As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ASUS laptop screen won't turn on

KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
I bought an ASUS g75 laptop a little over a year ago, and it's been fine until recently. A month or two ago, after turning it on from being asleep, the screen would stay black, but the computer was obviously on (cd drive spun, fan was working, windows made it's boot up sound, etc). I turned it off and on and it still didn't work. Finally, I unplugged the adapter, took out the battery, and plugged the adapter back in and turned it on. It turned on and the screen was back to working.

This morning I go to turn it on and it seems like it's doing the same thing. The trick I tried previously did not work. I looked up the problem real quick and oddly enough, what I had done before was a recommended method of fixing this issue. But it didn't work the couple times I tried before I had to go to work.

One thing I can think of that might have caused issue is that over the past couple of months, I have caused the laptop to shut off in a non safe way. I have a mic/headphone combo that I plug in every now and then, and I've accidentally put the jack in a usb port instead of the headphone/mic port (which are next to each other) and this immediately turned the computer off. To turn it back on, I would have to take the battery out and turn it on. This has happened 3 or 4 times. Could this have caused some permanent damage to my laptop?

One thing I will try when I get home is to see if I can still get an HDMI connected to my tv to see if that works. Otherwise, I have no other ideas.

Thoughts?

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    The cable could be loose or damaged, coming back on after some fiddling would match intermittent loss of connection, sometimes you can jar it back in but it eventually comes out again.

It runs through the hinge, so even though it's designed to be flexed it's still metal and gets bent back and forth a lot. You'll have to take the laptop apart to where you can remove the keyboard and probably top half of the chassis, too. Don't know your specific model, but in most Asus that I am familiar with the cable will come from the left hinge and connect to the top of the main board. Make sure it's well seated, and check it for signs of wear where it enters the hinge. If it is damaged, you'll have to disassemble the screen assembly, too, to disconnect it from the screen panel. It's a cheap part, but labor intensive to replace.

Hevach on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Likely culprits are a cable issue or pending inverter failure (inverter being the bit that essentially powers the backlight).

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    I've got an Asus g51jx gaming latop that's going on three years old now, and I have the same issue, the difference being I hibernate my laptop after use and I don't put it in sleep mode. Without diving into the internals or sending it in for repairs, the easy fix I've being doing so far is simply shutting the screen, waiting for it to enter sleep mode (lights shut off, drives spin down), and then raising the screen and pressing the power button. It'll snap back from sleep and the display works.

I'm wondering if your testing with the battery and AC is giving you a bit of a red herring?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

If it's the inverter, in good light you'll be able to faintly see the screen as it's still displaying, just not being lit. Batteries going bad is a thing, and when they die, they'll make a laptop do some weird shit.

• Options
    SwatkinzSwatkinz Registered User new member
    Great help, I have the exact same problem... Iv been reading these posts and the battery sound like the culprit for sure. Started and restarted plenty of times but and nothing happened. I removed the battery and started again for the 6th time or so and it worked! Thanks for the help :)