As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

To [Disney Infinity]...and beyond!

Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!"Registered User regular
disney_infinity_characters.jpg

What is it?

Do you like Skylanders? Do you like games like Minecraft or LittleBigPlanet? Do you love any of the literally thousands of characters owned by the Disney corporation? If you answered "Yes!!!" to any of these questions, then Disney Infinity is the game for you!

Penny Arcade Report's own Sophie Prell can explain it far better than I can;
http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/disney-infinity-is-both-game-and-platform-mixes-skylanders-and-littlebigpla

Official Announcement
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96U2gkgK0o4&list=PLNAsIANslbRxVtBX-JDhDlA0BJEOxEZYQ&index=1

Unboxing and Comparison to Skylanders Figures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4CCtdxGlQM

This game is slated for a June 2013 release, for Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, PC, mobile devices, and Nintendo 3DS. If Skylanders is any indication, all of these sets, figures, and assorted doo-dads aren't going to be cheap, so start saving those pennies now if you don't want to have to break open your Hamm!

5028742_std.jpg

This is my first attempt at a new game thread, so any comments or suggestions would be welcome.

kyrcl.png

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    All I can say is that my heart goes out to my fellow forumers with children. :P

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    As cool as the idea of this game is, what litle gameplay I can see in the videos looks beyond boring and the framerate is awful.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I feel most sorry for Disney fanatics who are already heavily invested in Skylanders. I always thought they looked pretty cool, but wasn't really interested in Spyro.

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    I feel most sorry for Disney fanatics who arealready heavily invested in Skylanders. I always thought they looked pretty cool, but wasn't really interested in Spyro.

I'm not either but the game is still really really fun.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    If this at all turns out to be a good game, it will come as a laser-guided precision strike on my girlfriend's birthday. It is basically her perfect game.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I passed on Skylanders because, even though I thought the concept of the game was cool, all these little weird monster mutant creature things never interested me.

Though in this case, I have no problem with collecting statuettes of James P. Sullivan and Bob Parr for display on my shelf.

As I've posted twice before, this is the shot in the trailer that sold me.

d3cD6.jpg

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    We avoided Spyro partially because when they first hit the scalpers were merciless around here and we tried a demo and the gameplay just really wasn't spectacular. If this plays well and the building aspect works out well, we'll be in. My son watched the trailer and was ready to buy immediately.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    This looks awesome, except I can't afford all the little toys. lol.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Also here's some packaging shots and other random images:

image-16upsc.jpg
    Neat to see Kermit the Frog there. I'm guessing the Electric Mayhem bus as a vehicle.

imagegfrx5.jpg

81r-aq0n-il._aa1500_anu1f.jpg

810g8ddjq8l._aa1500_8vutj.jpg

81a5binllll._aa1500_w8und.jpg

814j4tkfo8l._aa1500_aru6c.jpg

814njk315fl._aa1500_tlu8c.jpg

81-sn1lisil._aa1500_08uy4.jpg

81yfh0-jral._aa1500_5suwr.jpg

infinityypury.jpg
    Tron coin with the starter set?

I'm surprised to see so much Incredibles love. That seemed like a franchise/license/IP that Disney had more or less forgotten about. I mean, Monster's Inc. makes sense because of this year's film, and Pirates is Disney's baby, but The Incredibles seems out of left field.

Also if this thing takes off, I guess you could see figure packs taking the place of movie/tv show tie-in games. I definitely would rather pick up a few Wreck-It Ralph figures rather than play that horrendous game that Activision published.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    If you thought Wal Mart scalpers are bad, wait till you see what the inevitable Disney Park Exclusive figures and sets will go for on e-bay.

For some reason, of all the confirmed figures I've seen so far, the one I'm most excited about is Barbossa. If an apple isn't one of his accessories, I'll be very disappointed!

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm kinda surprised he isn't already holding an apple.

• Options
    I'm confused as to why he's brandishing Jack (the monkey).

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm impressed they're tweaking the designs to make, say, the Pirates of the Caribbean crew fit in with everyone else.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Before I actually watched the trailer my main concern with the idea was that it might end up being jarring seeing the different art styles come together.

However, now that I have seen the trailer I am happy to see they are going for a unified art style among all the IPs. So that is cool.

• Options
    Jinx!

• Options
    edited January 2013
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I'm impressed they're tweaking the designs to make, say, the Pirates of the Caribbean crew fit in with everyone else.

Sony should take notes.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Also here's some packaging shots and other random images:

image-16upsc.jpg

So according to that shot, we'll be able to ride the cars from the Dumbo and Peter Pan's Flight rides, the Electric Mayhem's bus, the horse from Brave, and Rapunzel!

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Ooooh, nice catch. The Muppets will show up eventually, and princesses won't be shunned.

• Options
    I better be able to recreate The Muppets Take Manhattan scene for scene.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    More stuff from a shot MZ posted elsewhere:

imagegfrx5.jpg

Looks like Nemo, Bolt, Frankenweenie... and on the far right, is that Ichabod Crane?

• Options
    Yeah - I was super excited to see Muppets and Tangled getting in the mix. We'll likely be getting the WiiU version for this one - between Lego City, Rayman and now this the console will be getting a lot of use in our house.

• Options
    Oh I am also impressed by the figures themselves. They are really good looking and surprisingly big. I can easily see people buying the figures just to have the figures and not caring about the videogame.

• Options
    Since this game builds on the "Toy Box" mode presented in Toy Story 3, can anyone comment on whether or not that was any good, or which version to get? I'm considering picking it up, and wondering whether it would be better on PS3 or Wii. My preference is PS3, but M'Lady Sif likes the Wii.

kyrcl.png
  • Options

imagegfrx5.jpg

Looks like Nemo, Bolt, Frankenweenie... and on the far right, is that Ichabod Crane?

I think that's Ichabod and the Headless Horseman's spectral charger.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Since this game builds on the "Toy Box" mode presented in Toy Story 3, can anyone comment on whether or not that was any good, or which version to get? I'm considering picking it up, and wondering whether it would be better on PS3 or Wii. My preference is PS3, but M'Lady Sif likes the Wii.

It's fun. Played it with the ladyfriend on PS3. I can't compare the two, but I can tell you that it looks great and runs well on PS3.

Also, it has Move support for a single, separate mini-game, so don't assume you can play the whole thing with it.

• Options

imagegfrx5.jpg

Probably the best guess, since there aren't many jet-black horses in Disneyana besides Frollo's horse in Hunchback, Merida's horse in Brave, Black Beauty and maybe one of the pegasi in Fantasia. The odd white-guy profile with a prominent ear and the creepy dark green background suggests Ichabod and the Horseman's horse more than any of the others.

• Options

imagegfrx5.jpg

You're likely right.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Holy crap it's a Bolt one...I'm in trouble. I just hope they don't just delegate the minor characters to tokens - I want figures of them. I know I'm in the minority but I really don't care for Monsters Inc, next to Cars it's my least favorite Pixar creation - I would have rather seen a different focus for that area for my tastes though...

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    God help me if they release Wall-E figures :D

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »

It's guaranteed to happen. Just accept it.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »

It's fun. Played it with the ladyfriend on PS3. I can't compare the two, but I can tell you that it looks great and runs well on PS3.

Also, it has Move support for a single, separate mini-game, so don't assume you can play the whole thing with it.

Maybe I can use this as a gateway drug to the PS3!

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Actually, even better: they should release Scrooge McDuck and his attack will be a pogo stick. And then someone will recreate Capcom's Duck Tales in the game editor thingy. And it will be awesome.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options

Actually, even better: they should release Scrooge McDuck and his attack will be a pogo stick. And then someone will recreate Capcom's Duck Tales in the game editor thingy. And it will be awesome.

I can't find the shot, but Scrooge McDuck's money bin is already in the game.

• Options

I can't find the shot, but Scrooge McDuck's money bin is already in the game.

20130115-114354.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    One thing that excites me about this is that the individual IP story games are not beholden to a particular play style.

Theoretically each game could play like any manner of genre. RPGs, Party games, RTS, puzzle/platformers, and so on. The only thing they are really beholden too is the art style, which I really enjoy.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    I will buy ALL the Incredibles figures. Put out that little kid on the big wheel and he will be bought.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Here's a couple of articles from Wired. Nothing especially new in either one, but the first includes the clearest explanation I've seen of how the round and hexagon coins work;

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2013/01/disney-infinity-figures-announced/

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/01/disney-infinity/

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    GEDC0791.jpg

Upper right, the first I've seen of the Mouse himself being included.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Alice in Wonderland, too.