As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Ni No Kuni] Ghibli + Pokemon = awesome?

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    I watched a documentary recently and there was a segment with Goro and I got the impression he just doesn't care as much as miyazaki. He is interested in making films, but I don't think he has the passion his father did. He said he started out not really being interested in making films but became interested later. He kind of annoyed me. Came off like a bit of a whiner.

The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness is the documentary and I recommend it. Miyazaki is a cranky old lovable chainsmoking philosopher dreamer. It's amazing.

Honestly though is this any surprise? Look at it this way, would YOU want to be the Boy King after Hayao? Really, think about THAT kind of expectation... he's basically Japan's Roy E. Disney. How many remember him fondly?

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Nope, the ship isn't in the northern part of the map either. It just keeps sitting there in Castaway Cove without a crew, mocking me but not allowing me to board and continue the bloody game...

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Quick update: I've restarted the game, even thought I might just give up due to that gamebreaking bug. The lure of Ghibli is just... too... strong.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    The game is totally worth it. That sucks, though. But the game is so goooood.

Inx on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    SEQUEL!

https://youtu.be/Zs2i9NtcRZQ

whaaaaaat

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Well, holy crap.

Looks fantastic, but a look at the credits seems to indicate Studio Ghibli isn't involved at all. Though longtime Ghibli composer Joe Hisaishi is, so that's awesome.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    The main character's voice is much less grating than in the original so I might be able to make it all the way through this game!

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Wow, this was unexpected

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Please god have better combat than the first game.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Please god have better combat than the first game.

Well, at least they probably couldn't have worse.

Unless they go with YoKai combat. :bigfrown:

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I can stomach the combat if they give you some means to make it easier to catch the monsters. Counting on a completely random and miniscule percentage and then having fractions of seconds to react and get the things was really aggravating.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Just improve the AI and I'd be happy.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    The combat itself wasn't that bad (I didn't think), just the control they gave you over your party members and their AI was fucking terrible.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Yup, up until you were solo in your party, the combat was enjoyable, but when they introduce your brain dead companions who use up all the mana in two turns to heal 1HP, it all completely fell down on itself.

Also the combat music was so bad, and it was the only one for the whole game.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    It all looks quite nice, but famed animation house Studio Ghibli (Spirited Away, The Cat Returns) doesn't appear to be involved this time around, though Level-5 is using the same visual style from the last collaboration, as well as Ghibli collaborator Yoshiyuki Momose on character design. Frequent Ghibli composed Joe Hisaishi, who did the music for the last game, is also doing the music this time around (it's great!). Level-5 CEO Akihiro Hino will serve as story and general director.

But probably no delicious Ghibli cutscenes. Which is a shame. Still the trailer looks nice and the character designs are good.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Yup, up until you were solo in your party, the combat was enjoyable, but when they introduce your brain dead companions who use up all the mana in two turns to heal 1HP, it all completely fell down on itself.

Also the combat music was so bad, and it was the only one for the whole game.

Holy hell the combat music sucked.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Which was so disappointing, since the rest of the music was superb. Actually the combat music was pretty long and it got much better, but the first 30-40 seconds (Which is what you heard over and over again) was so bad.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    TATATATAAAA
    TATATATAAAAAAA

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    It was? I didn't really pay attention.

I showed my girlfriend and she was disappointed that its a human cat boy given the old cat king was basically a gigantic cat.

Then she had a horrible idea.

What if...when you hit puberty.

You turn into a cat? Talk about growing hair in unwanted places...

(It was just a joke but we lolled about it for a while)

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular

I showed my girlfriend and she was disappointed that its a human cat boy given the old cat king was basically a gigantic cat.

Well, his momma seems to be a full human.

Don't think about it.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options

Well, his momma seems to be a full human.

Don't think about it.

Why not? Hell, they kinda took the premise directly from Ghibli's library of stories anyway. Check out The Cat Returns if you don't believe me.
    It all looks quite nice, but famed animation house Studio Ghibli (Spirited Away, The Cat Returns) doesn't appear to be involved this time around, though Level-5 is using the same visual style from the last collaboration, as well as Ghibli collaborator Yoshiyuki Momose on character design. Frequent Ghibli composed Joe Hisaishi, who did the music for the last game, is also doing the music this time around (it's great!). Level-5 CEO Akihiro Hino will serve as story and general director.

But probably no delicious Ghibli cutscenes. Which is a shame. Still the trailer looks nice and the character designs are good.

It looks like instead of hand drawn cutscenes, all of the game will be in that awesome new engine they showed. That's close enough to Ghibli's style for me. Dragon Quest didn't need Akira Toriyama to make all the characters and scenes for that series either.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    This sort of gives me hope that MAYBE some folks in Studio Ghibli will break away and make a rival studio, sort of like a Japanese Don Bluth Productions. Studio Ghibli needs a kick in the pants and a reminder that they need to stay fresh in people's minds, otherwise they'll start to atrophy much like Disney did in the 70s after Walt's death.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Speaking of which, we haven't heard a peep from Ghibli in over a year, since they first announced their "pause" or whatever.

It's a little concerning that Joe Hisaishi has time to work on this when the rest of Ghibli isn't involved.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    It's entirely possible Ghibli will basically retire from major animation. It was, more or less, all one or two people driving everything. The main director has retired and there aren't any replacements. Their other big director is also retiring.
    I watched a documentary and it's really clear how much was riding on Miyazaki.

Basically, the other animators/artists at Ghibli are good at actually making something they've been asked to make, but they're not so good at the whole creative direction thing.

Another thing is that Miyazaki used to drive talented people to near burnout, and in fact straight burnout in some cases. If you were talented, Miyazaki expected everything from you and pushed you harder. A lot harder. As hard as he pushed himself. Which turned a lot of supremely talented people away because the pressure was too much. Another reason for the lack of people to step up.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Since this is coming out next month I am reviving this thread!

First with the reminder note that the key animator from multiple Ghibli films who worked on the last game is still on the team for this game. Despite not having Ghibli itself make the cutscenes the Ghibli pedigree is still part of it.

I just skimmed through this new gameplay video a bit to avoid spoilers but hot DAMN does this look awesome to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arqMvn4Q1ws&feature=youtu.be

• Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    The combat system looks tons better than the first game, but I'm going to miss the familiars. Using familiars in combat was a chore, but I enjoyed collecting them and trying to assemble a good team. The new sprite things look more appropriate for the new combat, but they're not as interesting as the weird pokemon knockoffs.

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    bficky wrote: »
    The combat system looks tons better than the first game, but I'm going to miss the familiars. Using familiars in combat was a chore, but I enjoyed collecting them and trying to assemble a good team. The new sprite things look more appropriate for the new combat, but they're not as interesting as the weird pokemon knockoffs.

I pretty much agree with all of this.

I enjoyed the familiars and overlooked much of the combat issues because I was so charmed by the game.

So while I'll miss them the combat looks pretty darn fun now so it seems like a good trade-off.

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Gonna have to watch the video later but I had completely forgotten this comes out soon, which will probably make it to my birthday wishlist.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Shit, I’ve had this preordered for a while and lost track after the last delay. Can’t wait.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I will have to check on my pre-order now.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

First with the reminder note that the key animator from multiple Ghibli films who worked on the last game is still on the team for this game. Despite not having Ghibli itself make the cutscenes the Ghibli pedigree is still part of it.

I just skimmed through this new gameplay video a bit to avoid spoilers but hot DAMN does this look awesome to me:

So this game is....Tales?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

It better fucking not be or i will be massively pissed.

• Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I mean it's got action RPG combat but it doesn't look anything like Tales combat from that trailer, so no?

Is every turn based JRPG Dragon Quest?

• Options

Is every turn based JRPG Dragon Quest?

actually yes but keep it on the down low

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Wow. Those graphics are spectacular

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Kf5NeAJ-k&ab_channel=EasyAllies

A pretty damn good preview that has me extra excited.

Everything here seems so up my alley(minus the weapon switching god dammit I fucking hate weapon switching I hope I can brute force past that).

But yea, this is a good preview here that just gives a little glimpse at all aspects of the game.

• Options
    These cities look really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOuzr0Ln5s8

• Options
    edited March 2018
    There's a final trailer out that supposedly contains spoilers.

So avoid that if you care.

But more importantly the fellow that popped in to warn people was Jason Schreier who also mentioned in the conversation when asked about the game being good that he wouldn't care so much to be warning people if it wasn't.

So that seems promising!

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    CalebrosCalebros a k a TimesNewPwnin Registered User regular

But more importantly the fellow that popped in to warn people Jason Schreier who also mentioned in the conversation when asked about the game being good that he wouldn't care so much to be warning people if it wasn't.

So that seems promising!

Thanks for the heads up! I like to go in to experiences like this knowing as little as I can once I see enough to understand what I'm getting into.

• Options
    Calebros wrote: »

But more importantly the fellow that popped in to warn people Jason Schreier who also mentioned in the conversation when asked about the game being good that he wouldn't care so much to be warning people if it wasn't.

So that seems promising!

Thanks for the heads up! I like to go in to experiences like this knowing as little as I can once I see enough to understand what I'm getting into.

Yea I'm the same way. I haven't been watching any of the trailers besides some gameplay videos myself. But since I heard this one might be extra spoilery I figured I'd spread the word.