As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me recommend "games where you raise dragons and maybe fight them" for my wife....

TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
So my wife is playing Dragon of Atlantis. She loves it. It's a Facebook Free-To-Play game. She loves the fact that she can grow all kinds of different dragons and collects them but the fact that it is Free-To-Play frustrates the hell out of her. She is extremely financially conciseness and refuses to spend any money on it (thank God). But she wants to get all these different dragons and play this game and can't. I keep trying to suggest other games for her to try (like Age of Empires or something) but she wants to dragons. Stuff where you have dragons. I am tired of watching her try to play this stupid game and I swear I am going to buy her something.

It needs to simplistic. She's not much of a "gamer", only the occasional Zelda or Mario game on the Wii or fighting games (she loves those) on the Xbox. It needs to be for either Mac, 360 or Wii (we don't have Wii U yet but if there is some killer game I might consider it). I want to find her something she can play. She doesn't spend a bunch of time on it but usually an hour every few evenings when I'm at work. It shouldn't be extremely hardcore, as she doesn't really like "videogames" or "video gamers"

Can you recommend something? I have no idea anymore. I was thinking maybe Pokemon for the Wii....? Do they have that?

sig4.jpg

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I can't specifically think of something focused on dragons in particular, but if fantastical creatures in general will do, you could look into one of the Viva Pinata games for the 360 (not the party game). There's a catching/raising/caring element to it, the pinatas are pretty exotic and colourful and cute, and the gameplay is pretty casual friendly.

Something different in style, but that might also appeal is the Animal Crossing game for the Wii.

Entriech on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Yeah, Viva Pinata is good and will eventually have A dragon; get Trouble In Paradise tho. She might like one of the Monster Rancher games although they get pretty complex as they go on but I'm sure she could handle it.

How to Train Your Dragon apprantly has a game out that is pretty much just raising dragons. It's seems VERY casual and possibly not very good but wevs.

• Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    Some friends of mine created Neopets-esque Flight Rising.

It's still in an alpha (beta? I can't remember at this point...) but if it's something she would be interested in, I could probably get her a friends and family invite.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Does she care if the dragons actually do anything? If she doesn't mind a more cutesy aestetic and has an iphone or ipad (not sure if it's on Android) there's a game my girlfriend got me into called Dragonvale where you breed different types of dragons, level them up (1 to 20) with increasingly greater amounts of food, collect gold from their habitats to pay for more food and decorations and whatnot, etc.

It's also Free to Play, but there are mechanics in the game that let you earn pretty reasonable amounts of the in game currencies for buying some things (upgrades, more space, cheap dragons). The only thing you can't really do are buy the super expensive dragons, but with enough patience I believe it's possible to breed every single non-limited time dragon in the game. Some might take dozens upon dozens of attempts, but you can do it (I think I've got 2 of everything at this point and I've never bought a single dragon, just used the gems (said in game currency) to speed things up now and then and purchase the few available upgrades).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    PantshandshakePantshandshake Registered User regular
    I don't know if this will help... but I just killed a good 45 minutes at work reading though it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dragon_video_games

• Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    Too bad there's no "Nintendragons" on the gameboy.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    The old GBA pokemon games are the most fun IMO, and they're pretty cheap. But it's important to know if it's a big deal for the collectible animals to fight.. there are a ton of little pet collection games where they don't really DO anything, just sit and look pretty and you can collect them.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    Maybe Dragonvale if you have an android or iOS device? It seems very similar where you grow dragons and you can technically spend money, but you have access to everything even without the money.

Oh, well, apparently Forar already recommended it, but yes, seconding it!

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Hypatia wrote: »
    Maybe Dragonvale if you have an android or iOS device? It seems very similar where you grow dragons and you can technically spend money, but you have access to everything even without the money.

Shit, I'm probably going to download it now. I love decorating things, probably why I'm so addicted to the newest Harvest Moon. If the wife were addicted to Farmville I'd tell you to get her a 3ds and Harvest Moon: A New Beginning

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    If you're willing to drop the 20 bucks to pick up a used PSX and some time to tracking it down, I'd suggest a game called "Dragon Seeds". It sounds right up her alley.

It was never produced in huge numbers, and it certainly never made it to hit status, but it was a pretty entertaining little RPG where you bred dragons to fight other dragons. Combat is all turn based, marginally more complicated then Paper-Rock-Scissors. When you beat the game it doesn't end, you just unlock two new types of dragons and just keep raising dragons to fight dragons amassing an ever growing array of dragon weapons, dragon shields, dragons and piles of money until you get sick of it.

• Options
    Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Not exactly what you're looking for, but Choice of the Dragon is fun and free.

Brian Krakow on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    If you're willing to drop the 20 bucks to pick up a used PSX and some time to tracking it down, I'd suggest a game called "Dragon Seeds". It sounds right up her alley.

It was never produced in huge numbers, and it certainly never made it to hit status, but it was a pretty entertaining little RPG where you bred dragons to fight other dragons. Combat is all turn based, marginally more complicated then Paper-Rock-Scissors. When you beat the game it doesn't end, you just unlock two new types of dragons and just keep raising dragons to fight dragons amassing an ever growing array of dragon weapons, dragon shields, dragons and piles of money until you get sick of it.

I remember my brother playing this game. It was very much about catching and raising and such. If an overarching monster theme is not off-limits, Monster Rancher is another monster raising game. It's just that the monsters are rarely specific, so dragons may or may not be common in whatever the newest incarnation is.
    Elin wrote: »
    Hypatia wrote: »

Shit, I'm probably going to download it now. I love decorating things, probably why I'm so addicted to the newest Harvest Moon. If the wife were addicted to Farmville I'd tell you to get her a 3ds and Harvest Moon: A New Beginning

@Elin If you like Harvest Moon, have you tried Rune Factory? It's Harvest Moon with the added bonus of going out and killing monsters, or taming and raising them to help on the farm. That along with fishing, farming, mini-games, and an RPG backed story, as well as cooking, forging, and alchemy make it kind of a catch-all RPG/light sim game. In the states it has the subtitle of "A fantasy Harvest Moon" and is indeed made by the Harvest Moon people. There are 3 on the DS, 2 on the Wii, and the newest one on the 3DS.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    @Elin If you like Harvest Moon, have you tried Rune Factory? It's Harvest Moon with the added bonus of going out and killing monsters, or taming and raising them to help on the farm. That along with fishing, farming, mini-games, and an RPG backed story, as well as cooking, forging, and alchemy make it kind of a catch-all RPG/light sim game. In the states it has the subtitle of "A fantasy Harvest Moon" and is indeed made by the Harvest Moon people. There are 3 on the DS, 2 on the Wii, and the newest one on the 3DS.

The fighting in Rune Factory gets in the way of farming and courting. The new 3DS Harvest Moon adds in the town building al la Dark Cloud, and I get a stylist and a tailor shop to play dress up.

Also: Monster Rancher is a very good monster raising/fighting thing. I'd get over the disappointment of no dragons quickly with giant chickens and yarn caterpillars.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Creatures - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatures_(artificial_life_program)

It is NOT about breeding dragons. What you breed is freakishly cute little cat-monkey like creatures and have them evolve their appearance as well as their behavior and intelligence over generations. I played the first one a bazillion years ago, but there's been 2 more since then. You can download most part of the third game, officially, for free - http://www.creaturesdockingstation.com/. The problem is getting it to run on a modern computer. ---> http://www.gog.com/forum/creatures_series/tips_getting_creatures_exodusdocking_station_to_run

The 4th one is currently in development. Dev Update ----> http://www.creatures4-thegame.co.uk/news/the-light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel

Siska on
  • Options
    Officer 1BDIOfficer 1BDI Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Ha, I was going to recommend Creatures, too. If you purchase one of the full games off of GOG, they come with a breed of reptilian monsters called Grendels that might appeal to her (though I think only the ones in C3 can be interacted with in a satisfying manner without 3rd party mods).

Otherwise... the only thing I can think of is Pokemon. Maybe find a used cartridge that hasn't been wiped clean so that she already has the story mode out of the way and can jump in to catching and training everything that's available (including dragon-types).

Officer 1BDI on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Not exactly what you're looking for, but Choice of the Dragon is fun and free.

I was going to suggest the same. It might not be exactly what she has in mind, but there's a pretty decent chance she'll get a kick out of it. There's also an iOS version out.

• Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    So she likes the idea of Rune Factory and said she likes Harvest Moon. Is Monster Rancher on the Wii? Might just pick up all three. Viva Pinata also might work.

You guys are awesome and fantastic and steering us in the right direction! She is kinda excited about playing games that are "fun"...

sig4.jpg
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Gah. installed Dragonvale on my phone as a result of this. It's exactly the sort of game that has no redeeming value, but I can't stop compulsively checking it to see if my eggs have hatched yet.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Talonrazor wrote: »
    So she likes the idea of Rune Factory and said she likes Harvest Moon. Is Monster Rancher on the Wii? Might just pick up all three. Viva Pinata also might work.

You guys are awesome and fantastic and steering us in the right direction! She is kinda excited about playing games that are "fun"...

Unfortunately the last Monster Rancher was on PS2. There was a short-lived Asian MMO a couple years back, but it's dead now.

Which sucks because I'm really jonesin' for a MR fix...

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »

Unfortunately the last Monster Rancher was on PS2. There was a short-lived Asian MMO a couple years back, but it's dead now.

Just chiming in that there is a Monster Rancher for the DS (in English, too). It is quite the decent MR fix for someone who wants to play again. I can also suggest Dragon Seeds as an older dragon game. It was quite a good distraction between Monster Rancher games. :P

Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is a game which had terrible marketing and looks like generic JRPG fare but is actually story/art by Studio Ghibli and gameplay by Take 5, and it is Pokemon meets Spirited Away. And it is amazing as hell.

It's PS3 only though, but if you have one or access to one it's probably the best thing ever for scratching that itch.

• Options

I will mention that my wife plays the Rune Factory games and prefers them over the Harvest Moon games, because be it fighting, farming or courting, there's always something to do. She just got Rune Factory Frontier because we just got a Wii, and she really seems to be enjoying that one a bunch, though the 3D sometimes messes with her head (she's used to the top down interface of the ones for the DS). I have heard less good things about the second Wii RF game, but the first three for the DS are good, and if you start with the first and play through them sequentially, you'll (or more specifically she'll) find new systems and options with each new update.

I will also mention that there are a ton and a half of monster raising games for the iPhone and Android. In fact, Monster Rancher has one on both platforms, called, "My Monster Rancher". I have not tried it out yet, but I do know it exists.

• Options
    RadicalTurnipRadicalTurnip Registered User regular
    They're a bit dated nowadays, but have you considered the Spyro games? My wife loved them, and you *are* a dragon, and you fight Dragons.

• Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

I was going to mention this one. The shopkeeper had huge tits. Also, I liked the Evil and the, umm... What were the inorganic ones? The ones that look like that Japanese god? Anyways, them. There were also mutant Dragons. One I got once mutated into a spider with a kabuki face on its back.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I was going to mention this one. The shopkeeper had huge tits. Also, I liked the Evil and the, umm... What were the inorganic ones? The ones that look like that Japanese god? Anyways, them. There were also mutant Dragons. One I got once mutated into a spider with a kabuki face on its back.
    The inorganic ones where Natura dragons.
    Never made much sense to me when I was playing it that the dragons with a name almost like "Natural" almost all looked like steam powered robot tea pots.
    But then I remember that the Evil dragons looked like assorted doors or boxes.

• Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »

Yeah, reading through this thread really made me want to play MR! I wonder if there are similar games (more raising and training monsters, less adventuring with monsters like pokemon) that will give the same feel?

But that's another thread maybe, so let me stay on topic! So, if you have a PS2, seconding Monster Rancher as it is super fun. I am pretty sure it has dragons, as I distinctly remember my super awesome punching rabbit getting destroyed by a dragon in one of the higher tier tournaments.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I just started playing Monster Rancher on the IPhone. It's called My Monster Rancher, and is a bit more "social" of a game, in that you want neighbors because that's one of the ways you gain the ability to synthesize new monsters (though you can get disks from missions and buy others from the shop as well with in-game or out of game currency). All in all, it's a pretty fun Monster Rancher game considering it's a phone platform; there aren't animations for the battles and very simple ones for training, but I still am enjoying it. It's free, so you might check it out if you like Monster Rancher games.

And there are dragons, amongst other monsters.

• Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

The inorganic ones where Natura dragons.
    Never made much sense to me when I was playing it that the dragons with a name almost like "Natural" almost all looked like steam powered robot tea pots.
    But then I remember that the Evil dragons looked like assorted doors or boxes.

Weren't they like coffins and stuff? The other one you unlock were the Spirit dragons. They looked like their parts were made up from different animals. Of course, there were the regular dragon types too. I never could get the hang of evolving my dragon properly before they got too old.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Gah. installed Dragonvale on my phone as a result of this. It's exactly the sort of game that has no redeeming value, but I can't stop compulsively checking it to see if my eggs have hatched yet.

Welcome to my world. Between Dragonvale and Jurassic Park Builder, whenever I have a few spare minutes waiting in line or between reports I open one of them up and see what has bred/cash can be collected/deal of the day is/etc.

If you or anyone else is on IOS and wants to become gamecenter allies, I'll happily do my part to send you the gem per day players can fire over to each other.

It's not a lot, but it adds up over the weeks and months, and again, aside from buying the rare dragons (which are absurdly priced), pushing a breeding cycle up a few hours with a couple gems or buying some of the occasional items that cost them can usually be done without a lot of struggling. You can get up to 1 gem per friend per day (wooo...) and up to 5 per day from a Colosseum (available around level 10 I think? Nothing happens really, you just park a dragon in it for a day) and another 50 or so per month through a special island that has gem breeding dragons, but those are rare breeds, so they can take a while to get. Or you can get lucky and snag one on your first try.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Sadly, I am on Android.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Wife caught me playing Dragonvale on my iPad, and now she is playing it on hers. Of course she keeps complaining that I had an unfair headstart.

I could also use some more gamecenter allies. Just PM me.

BitTWist on
    3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
  • Options
    MelinoeMelinoe Registered User regular
    I've also started playing now thanks to this thread and am also on Android, so Darkewolfe if you wanna be gem trading buddies I would be up for that.

• Options
    Raneshower77Raneshower77 Registered User new member
    I'm a bit late....but I have just run across a "Google Play" (for touchscreen phones only) game called, "Dragon World". It is a free to play game, but of course, if you want things done faster, there is the option to spend the monies. It has pretty awesome graphics for a phone game and you raise gorgeous dragons! I casually play, so waiting is fine for me. You can battle other dragons from people across the server and I like that you don't lose anything if you lose a Battle. And no one "attacks" your islands while you are gone.....so you can relax and take it as slow as you like. This so far has been the only game I have found where you are raising beautiful dragons on your gaming terms. I haven't tried Dragonvale, but Dragon World seems to have more realistic looking dragons. I will also check out Dragonvale, looks fun. Always gotta check out another Dragon game,hehe ;-)

This discussion has been closed.