As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tomb Raider] something, something, exclusive, it's coming out first on xbone, deal.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Well, it depends on the contract. With Microsoft publishing it, you can expect there's at least a year baked into it where Squeenix can't release it anywhere else, or else they'll have to pony up some of money Microsoft put into it. Considering Squeenix went this route because they didn't think it'd make enough, I'm not holding my breath.

Even then, you have to wonder just how many people have become absolutely disinterested in the game that they'll avoid it completely because of all the nonsense associated with it. It's likely not a terribly small number.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I have more games than I can ever play. I am more than willing to triage some of the ones I know I can't devote time to provided I can find a youtuber than knows when to shut up and play.

Wouldn't it take as long to watch as to play?

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Well, it depends on the contract. With Microsoft publishing it, you can expect there's at least a year baked into it where Squeenix can't release it anywhere else, or else they'll have to pony up some of money Microsoft put into it. Considering Squeenix went this route because they didn't think it'd make enough, I'm not holding my breath.

Even then, you have to wonder just how many people have become absolutely disinterested in the game that they'll avoid it completely because of all the nonsense associated with it. It's likely not a terribly small number.

Eh, it'll do just fine on the One, there's plenty of people to sell to.

The only nonsense is that it's not multiplatform. There's no reason for someone who has an Xbox One to skip it.

No I don't.
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    It may do "fine" but it probably won't do "square-enix fine" because they are ridiculous.

It wouldn't be the first time a company broke a console exclusivity deal.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014

This is from a company that was holding a game that sold 3.4 million copies, faster than any previous game in the franchise, to a disappointing total because it wasn't making up for their infinite money pit failures that was FFXIV and the incredibly delayed development of FFXV (and then apparently the disappointing sales of Hitman Absolution on top of that).

"Fine" is relative and this game has no chance of Square-Enix level succeeding if it is only on XB1.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »

This is from a company that was holding a game that sold 3.4 million copies, faster than any previous game in the franchise, to a disappointing total because it wasn't making up for their infinite money pit failures that was FFXIV and the incredibly delayed development of FFXV (and then apparently the disappointing sales of Hitman Absolution on top of that).

"Fine" is relative and this game has no chance of Square-Enix level succeeding if it is only on XB1.

I agree, but my point is that no one is going to avoid it on the one because of this stuff.

If it sees a PS4 release at any point I could see people avoiding it on there, but why would Xbox One owners avoid it?

No I don't.
  • Options
    I'm not saying people are going to intentionally avoid it if they already have a XB1.

I just do not believe that enough people are going to buy an XB1 just to have it to make up for the loss of sales that they are going to suffer for only releasing it on one system initially.

That was outsold by its competitor last quarter by 3 to 1.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I'm not saying people are going to intentionally avoid it if they already have a XB1.

I just do not believe that enough people are going to buy an XB1 just to have it to make up for the loss of sales that they are going to suffer for only releasing it on one system initially.

And has clawed back rather well in the US over the past few months, and actually outsold the PS4 in both the UK and the U.S. last month. The two places tomb raider traditionally sells best.

Also, they don't need to sell nearly as many copies if, for instance, Microsoft pays them for exclusivity, covers the cost of the ad campaign, etc. Microsoft may even bundle the game next holiday season and throw an extra 500k-1mil units into distribution as part of it. The game will sell fine.

Finally, the number of people who will only buy an XBO for tomb raider is probably pretty small. But the number of people who will buy an XBO because it comes with tomb raider and they can also get halo or quantum break or fable or any of the other multi platform things... It's about amassing a library Microsoft does not seem content to rest their future on one title - tomb raider is part of a broader strategy of having really good titles across as many western-oriented genres as possible.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »

And has clawed back rather well in the US over the past few months, and actually outsold the PS4 in both the UK and the U.S. last month.

By extremely aggressively cutting the price to well below where it started, they are still well behind (after being outsold for nearly one year consecutively) and nothing changes that Square Enix are idiots.

Once again, Square thought the original was only successful once it passed six million sales and they are fans of dumping all the failures of their other games on Tomb Raider. FFXV comes out next year and if it falls over, just imagine how much of a money pit it has been and what do you think SE is then going to dump all the expectations on repairing it to be?

There is absolutely no way the game can sell anywhere near SE levels of copies on the Xbone, given even the "low" bar was 3.4 million sales.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    ... and they don't need to because they are not funding the whole project on their own like last time. If you don't have to run an ad campaign and have a company footing the bill for a portion of development, your projections and goals for profitability change.

And even so, there will probably be 20-30 million Xbox ones in consumers' hands by the time this game comes out, not counting new console sales during the release window. And it will probably be bundled next holiday by Microsoft. It will move a couple million units at least.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    My bigger issue is that they are also making a 360 version of the game, for a holiday 2015 release.

The last tomb raider looked nice enough on the ps4/XBO, but it was hobbled by being an up-res prior gen offering.

I don't thing there are going to be many AAA adventure/action offerings next Christmas that are still trying to bring the last generation in. This holiday they are selling as many new games to the new gen as the old gen, even with the massive population disparity. Next year? It's going to be potentially disastrous to spend a lot of money on a release for those older platforms.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Wait it's going to be on the 360? What the hell is wrong with them. Microsoft have a golden opportunity here with TR and they're throwing it away by making the game simply be a port of a last gen game.

Unleeeeeess..... They're not being dumb and have Square make both games independently. So no hobbling.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Wait it's going to be on the 360? What the hell is wrong with them. Microsoft have a golden opportunity here with TR and they're throwing it away by making the game simply be a port of a last gen game.

Unleeeeeess..... They're not being dumb and have Square make both games independently. So no hobbling.

I am strongly guessing that it is Square who is forcing the issue of previous generation and not Microsoft.

If they quietly cancelled that version in the coming weeks/months due to the change n the language of this deal I would shed no tears.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Rise of the Tomb Raider is not going to be a port of a last-gen game. The 360 game is the port.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    MS will have to throw a lot of money at SE for this to be worth it. Remember, Titanfall didn't make up the loss of PS4 sales with their exclusivity deal.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Remember, Titanfall didn't make up the loss of PS4 sales with their exclusivity deal.

How is this even a quantifiable statement? Is there a count for imaginary PlayStation 4 copies sold or something?

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

And has clawed back rather well in the US over the past few months, and actually outsold the PS4 in both the UK and the U.S. last month.

By extremely aggressively cutting the price to well below where it started, they are still well behind (after being outsold for nearly one year consecutively)

And even that's a pretty hollow victory

On the one year anniversary mark they ended up cutting the price from $500 down to $350, bundled it with two games, and Black Friday prices were putting it at $330

And even with throwing everything at the public including the kitchen sink, they managed to outsell PS4 by less than 10,000 units, despite Sony not cutting their price at all (Black Friday bundles were still $400, they just included two games)

That's gotta be disheartening to MS, and has to signify just how much the Xbox brand has fallen off with the general public

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Remember, Titanfall didn't make up the loss of PS4 sales with their exclusivity deal.

How is this even a quantifiable statement? Is there a count for imaginary PlayStation 4 copies sold or something?

This statement makes it sound like you don't believe it is possible to accurately estimate a thing.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Rise of the Tomb Raider is not going to be a port of a last-gen game. The 360 game is the port.

I truly doubt this game will be designed with a next-gen-first mentality. They will make a game that can run on the 360, first and foremost. It will then be prettied-up for the One with zero enhancement beyond the visuals. Square won't pull a Rogue/Unity with this by making two different games for two different consoles; not when it's exclusive to one brand.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

By extremely aggressively cutting the price to well below where it started, they are still well behind (after being outsold for nearly one year consecutively)

And even that's a pretty hollow victory

On the one year anniversary mark they ended up cutting the price from $500 down to $350, bundled it with two games, and Black Friday prices were putting it at $330

And even with throwing everything at the public including the kitchen sink, they managed to outsell PS4 by less than 10,000 units, despite Sony not cutting their price at all (Black Friday bundles were still $400, they just included two games)

That's gotta be disheartening to MS, and has to signify just how much the Xbox brand has fallen off with the general public

I'm seriously considering buying a console for the first time in my life some time in the next year, but for me it'll almost certainly be a PS4 if it's anything. Tomb Raider is the only XB1 exclusive that I really want, I much prefer PS controllers to XB controllers, and the PS4 is a slightly better and beefier system. For me, it'd pretty much need to be a Bioware RPG exclusive on XB1 for me to consider switching my consideration.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    ... and they don't need to because they are not funding the whole project on their own like last time. If you don't have to run an ad campaign and have a company footing the bill for a portion of development, your projections and goals for profitability change.

And even so, there will probably be 20-30 million Xbox ones in consumers' hands by the time this game comes out, not counting new console sales during the release window. And it will probably be bundled next holiday by Microsoft. It will move a couple million units at least.

So you're guessing "a couple million at least" With a maximum consumer base of 20 to 30 million consoles?

Over what time period?

Because when the first game released, the combined number of PCs, PS3s, and 360s totaled a touch more than 20 to 30 million and the game sold 3.4 million across all three in its first month. Which Square Enix thought was bad.

If they're also making a 360 version of the game, that will probably help quite a lot. I am very sure than there will be many more 360 copies sold than XB1 copies sold.

• Options
    If they're also making a 360 version of the game, that will probably help quite a lot. I am very sure than there will be many more 360 copies sold than XB1 copies sold.

I'm not so sure

This theory about the older versions selling more because the install base is higher hasn't been panning out

It didn't pan out that way for Mordor, Dragon Age, Far Cry 4, Destiny...

Assassin's Creed Unity charted at #9 in November, but Assassin's Creed Rogue didn't even crack the top ten

I'm not sure what exactly people are buying for old consoles, but it doesn't appear to be the hot new titles

• Options
    I have to ask, are Xbox One games actually selling poorly compared to PS4 games? I haven't check sales data since the industry thread closed.

No I don't.
  • Options
    I have to ask, are Xbox One games actually selling poorly compared to PS4 games? I haven't check sales data since the industry thread closed.

With the exception of Destiny and Call of Duty, every multiplatform game has sold better on PS4

And even that might be off, because the Destiny bundle exists

Infamous did well back in March. Sunset Overdrive didn't crack the top ten. Master Chief made it to #10 in November

• Options

With the exception of Destiny and Call of Duty, every multiplatform game has sold better on PS4

Infamous did well back in March. Sunset Overdrive didn't crack the top ten. Master Chief made it to #10 in November

Is it just selling less, or selling poorly? Obviously it'll sell multiplatform games less, but is it just proportionate compared to the install bases or what?

No I don't.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

The master chief collection really didn't make much of a splash at all. Another prediction I got right, remember the chat from e3 Syndalis when you claimed the MC collection was going to sell millions? It seems you overestimate sales a bit on the regular :pop:

;)

It's much easier to be pessimistic, especially when it comes to SE. Rise has to do really well, especially compared to already great xbone games that really haven't done much sales wise like Titanfall (one of the most hyped games ever) and Sunset Overdrive (which is really good, but sadly hasn't sold anywhere near as well as it should have). I don't have hope for the series continuing if the game has become genuinely console exclusive, because with the PS4s current lead not going to it has already demonstrated significant downward sales effects on exclusive games (and most multiplatform games sell 2:1 or 3:1).

It will be immensely surprising if Square isn't thinking and seeing he same thing, with a plan to bring it to PS4 6 to 12 months down the track and I hate to say it, with the way sales have gone, I hope this is the case. Or we might well not see any more tomb raider.

Edit: And remember that FFXV comes out next year and if it is a sales flop after being in development a billion years now, who do you think SE are going to put all the sales expectations for fixing their fuck up on?

Aegeri on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Not really seeing the doom and gloom honestly. I can see Tomb Raider doing at least 1-2 million easy just on the X1. And that isn't even counting the 360 and eventual PC release.

But at the same time I think game executives talk out their ass most of the time and a lot of that hub-bub about the last Tomb Raider was just showing off for stockholders.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

This statement makes it sound like you don't believe it is possible to accurately estimate a thing.

If history has been any judge about video game sales, not accurately, no

• Options

I'm not so sure

This theory about the older versions selling more because the install base is higher hasn't been panning out

It didn't pan out that way for Mordor, Dragon Age, Far Cry 4, Destiny...

Assassin's Creed Unity charted at #9 in November, but Assassin's Creed Rogue didn't even crack the top ten

I'm not sure what exactly people are buying for old consoles, but it doesn't appear to be the hot new titles

The difference being those weren't exclusive.

Someone with a PS4 and their old 360 might buy the next Tomb Raider on the 360 instead of buying an XB1 or waiting.

• Options
    edited December 2014

The master chief collection really didn't make much of a splash at all. Another prediction I got right, remember the chat from e3 Syndalis when you claimed the MC collection was going to sell millions? It seems you overestimate sales a bit on the regular :pop:

I mean, it sold 1.1 million in its first week on market, the fastest selling game on the platform (beating out titanfall) with the holiday season ahead of it and is the only non Pokemon 1st party title to chart on the top ten.

What exactly does it have to do to make a splash for you?

Multiple Millions is its likely outcome.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Beat Temple of Osiris today. Pretty fun game, even with the atrocious platforming. I love that there's loot. Like, loot loot. I only go for the 1000 gem chests, though. Theres a fairly easy combat challenge right next to Osiris's shrine. I can plow through it pretty quick with my legendary SMG and amulet. Nets about 600-700 gems a go, so I can farm gems pretty quick. Fun times!

It would be nice to play as the other characters in singleplayer though =/

Not that they probably play any different than Lara, but still...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I truly doubt this game will be designed with a next-gen-first mentality. They will make a game that can run on the 360, first and foremost. It will then be prettied-up for the One with zero enhancement beyond the visuals. Square won't pull a Rogue/Unity with this by making two different games for two different consoles; not when it's exclusive to one brand.

I disagree with this statement. I think it'd be much easier to downport the game than up-port it (outside of them doing a half-assed job on the XBONE version, which seems unlikely). I'm guessing the engine might just be based on what they used for Definitive Edition, and probably doesn't need much tweeking. Then you just lower the polys on the models, cut out some particle effects. Maybe lower enemy density of it ends up being a performance issue. Pretty much done. The two consoles are so damn close to each other that the only main snag is probably performance.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    So I've recently started playing this after downloading it a while ago as the Xbox Live free game of the month, and I'm really enjoying it. However, it is the only game I've ever played that made me physically ill. I noticed a while into playing that the camera was shaking really erratically, not just when you're running and jumping, but also when you were just standing still, during cutscenes, and worst, when aiming. It wasn't a slight tremble maybe due to a loose joystick, this was full on shaking. It gave me the worst headache I've ever had. So I saved the game and the next day loaded it up, and no more shaking.

Is this a gameplay mechanic by any chance? I tried to eat some animals thinking maybe it happened when you didn't eat for a while but that didn't seem to stop it. Only saving and reloading the game did. But the shaking was so bad, that headache aside, it really made the game super difficult, like you couldn't really use the bow because the reticule was constantly shaking around.

Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that sounds like a bug. I don't remember anything like that.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    SpazMuffin wrote: »
    So I've recently started playing this after downloading it a while ago as the Xbox Live free game of the month, and I'm really enjoying it. However, it is the only game I've ever played that made me physically ill. I noticed a while into playing that the camera was shaking really erratically, not just when you're running and jumping, but also when you were just standing still, during cutscenes, and worst, when aiming. It wasn't a slight tremble maybe due to a loose joystick, this was full on shaking. It gave me the worst headache I've ever had. So I saved the game and the next day loaded it up, and no more shaking.

Is this a gameplay mechanic by any chance? I tried to eat some animals thinking maybe it happened when you didn't eat for a while but that didn't seem to stop it. Only saving and reloading the game did. But the shaking was so bad, that headache aside, it really made the game super difficult, like you couldn't really use the bow because the reticule was constantly shaking around.

How far through are you?
    I remember the camera being more erratic early on, but as Lara gets less scared and more survivor, it felt like it calmed down. I assume it was thematic.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    SpazMuffin wrote: »

How far through are you?
    I remember the camera being more erratic early on, but as Lara gets less scared and more survivor, it felt like it calmed down. I assume it was thematic.
    This happened during the area right before you fight the first bad guy who holds one of those riot shields, before the big antenna climb. I guess it was a weird bug, because it didn't seem like it was a "scary" part. It was frantic with lots of fighting, but in later fights the screen didn't shake. I played again yesterday for a while and it didn't happen again, so maybe it was a one time thing, but I did see some other people complaining about screen shaking online, some saying it happened even when just standing still, so I guess it's a somewhat common bug.

Problems aside, this game is really awesome. I love how contextual all the animations are, like when you run behind a box, you automatically kind of duck behind it, and place one hand on it to steady yourself. And the gun play is really good too, though you do mow down just armies of people. I've avoided the health buff upgrade just to help it not seem like I'm a total tank.

Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

I mean, it sold 1.1 million in its first week on market, the fastest selling game on the platform (beating out titanfall) with the holiday season ahead of it and is the only non Pokemon 1st party title to chart on the top ten.

What exactly does it have to do to make a splash for you?

Multiple Millions is its likely outcome.

If it turns out the only reason we're getting Rise of the Tomb Raider is because Microsoft saved it from Square-Enix's insane expectations, I'd buy it just to award Microsoft for saving good games from themselves.

Current backlog (including Tomb Raider on the 360) and my preference for the older style TR games be damned.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Since this thread is active again all the sudden, it's worth pointing out that EVERY Tomb Raider game out there is currently on sale on Steam until Feb 9.

• Options
    932850.jpg

jesus christ

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Why is her butt on fire?