As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Create On!] Make Your Own Tournament!

BTPBTP Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
How would YOU make a tournament?

If you've ever wanted to make a tournament instead of just participating in it, what would you do? That's basically all this thread is: A test of imagination. Having finally managed to do one of these a little while ago, I'm just curious to see what others would do if they limit themselves to the same criteria as I did, which really isn't all that much.

1) Have some kind of theme using multiple games. Don't just simply throw in the most popular games. Almost anyone can make a pure Smash Bros. tournament or Halo 2 tournament. This is your chance to make something unique.

2) You must limit yourself to only what you own in terms of games and systems. There are exceptions to this which are:

-Help from volunteers/friends are allowed and they can bring their own things, but it still has to be things you own. Example: You own a Wii, but for whatever reason you don't want to bring your own. Your friend can bring their Wii if they want. Additional controllers are fine as well because you can ask each participant "BYOC".

-If you think one part of your tournament could go on too long because of a lack of systems, you are allowed one extra system and game from your friends beyond what you own ONLY ONCE. Example: If you own one Gamecube and SSB:M, you are allowed to use two Gamecubes and two SSB:M assuming a volunteer/friend can bring that. It still can't be a game that YOU don't own.

-Getting a room of a certain size/number of TV's to use has to be realistic to what you can do. For example, renting a room and TV at your school should be realistic.

3) Make the final round something memorable. Maybe bring a game everyone's heard of but few people have played? Kinda like how the Omegathon had Tengen Tetris. Or do something like a race to who can beat Super Mario Bros. first?

That's all there is to it. It should be simple enough for some of you that own easily triple the small library I have. Let's see what you can think up.

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
BTP on

• Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm not in the mood to type out my usual Tournament outline, but I will say this: A tournament without Worms is hardly a tournament at all.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Just to be clear, I'm not asking you to go into great detail about HOW to get your own tournament going. Just what games and what format would you have. If you can get the room and TV's you say you would have, we'll just believe you using the honor system.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hell, I always tried to shake things up a bit when I did Halo tournys. Everyone wanted to do straight team Slayer and MAYBE CTF.

Me and my co-coordinator said fuck that. Lowball (lowest score on the team is the team score), Plots, and Oddball where the order of the day. That first one pissed a lot of people off because most "Teams" were really just one or two guys and the rest were bullet/plasma sponges.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Nocren wrote: »
    Hell, I always tried to shake things up a bit when I did Halo tournys. Everyone wanted to do straight team Slayer and MAYBE CTF.

Me and my co-coordinator said fuck that. Lowball (lowest score on the team is the team score), Plots, and Oddball where the order of the day. That first one pissed a lot of people off because most "Teams" were really just one or two guys and the rest were bullet/plasma sponges.

That sounds like something similar to what happened at my tournament. I didn't have enough people for how the tournament was designed, so instead of elimination all the way, I split the players up into two groups after the first round, where afterwards one side played one set of games and the other side played a different set of gamaes, based on performance in the first round.

Then a couple of people came up to me and asked which side would be the side that would have Smash Bros. Melee in it. If it was one of the games on the side that didn't perform as well as the others, they would've deliberately sabotaged themselves in the first round solely so they could play Smash Bros. Melee.

I wasn't exactly happy some people actually considered doing this.

Edit: Oops, I never got to the punchline.
    There was no Smash Brothers. :lol:

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Iron Gamer style. Have people sign up, and don't tell them what the games are. Then, at the beginning of each round, unveil the Secret Game for the round.

Works well if you take a genre and make people play a horrible game in it. "It's fighter round, LET'S PLAY SOME FUCKING MACE THE DARK AGE."

Or, if you're feeling particularly evil run the game they want you to, but implement the most random rules. "Smash Brothers Melee it is. Everyone must be Bowser or DK. Coin Battle on Hyrule. Only Poison Mushrooms." "Halo2, you say? Alien Pistols only on Waterworks."

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Exactly. The true gamers, true players/whatever, will shine while the others will whine, bitch and complain.

I would see that as a challenge of my abilities, not as a bullshit game.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    Works well if you take a genre and make people play a horrible game in it. "It's fighter round, LET'S PLAY SOME FUCKING MACE THE DARK AGE."

Yeah, I have actually had pretty much same idea. In start of each round, new game is chosen by using roulette program that has goddamn awful, obscure fighting game on each slot. After roulette has chosen new game, each player would have 15 mins to familiriaze himself with the game, and deduce good strategy*.

* Read: Way to abuse the game

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    elkatas wrote: »
    EvilBadman wrote: »

Yeah, I have actually had pretty much same idea. In start of each round, new game is chosen by using roulette program that has goddamn awful, obscure fighting game on each slot. After roulette has chosen new game, each player would have 15 mins to familiriaze himself with the game, and deduce good strategy*.

* Read: Way to abuse the game

Prep time is for pussies. :D

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I love speed runs on specific levels of NSMB. I own 8-6 (i think thats the one I mean, I've not played in a month or two)

LewieP on