As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Halo Reach || Daily Challenge: Post in The New Thread, This One Is Done

• EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    xTYTXl.jpg
    Sup dudes.

Fyre is slightly angry:
    FYjxy.jpg

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Quick Defiant technical review:

Do not attempt to forge Highlands in splitscreen. The framerate goes to shit and the map discos like hell. It's clearly just too much for the 360. Normal splitscreen doesn't do it, it's just Forge (since they have to render all the spawn points/objectives/etc)

It's not like you have to try either, it was discoing off the default starting spawns and the easiest way to stop it was to make one of us look down at the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L31Up_2dTfQ

I looked through the list real quick, there isn't really anything to forge with on Highlands. There's a ton of selections for the Crate category that you can kinda sorta use to change the map flow, but that's pretty much it. There isn't even any one-way shield doors to use for Invasion variants. What you see is what you get out of Highlands for the most part.

Highlands is also the first Reach (and currently only) map to NOT support the Special FX filters. Weird.

Condemned is also not very Forgeable. You cannot delete the sorta-kinda-shield doors, those are actual geometry if you were wondering. There's a neat Plasma Storage object that goes boom pretty nicely (I think it's on one of the disc maps though). No one-way shields for use here either. It's also going to be like Orbital, you're going to take a few plays to get a handle of how this map is laid out.

So in short.. both maps are about on the level of customization of Halo 3 disc maps in Forge. It's not a bad thing.. but Highlands is SCREAMING to be cut up into little maps, but there just isn't enough objects (not even rocks) to convincingly make it look like a completely different variant. You're going to be relying on Soft Safe zones for the most part here to cut it into smaller maps. It's definitely pushing the engine as it is, so I don't think Highlands ever had a chance of having a Forgeworld level of customization. It does support every vehicle, which is cool.

Hopefully the next 343/CA maps are a little more flexible on the Forge front. The maps themselves are great and look like tons of fun, but I'm not going to sugarcoat it: both of them stink for forging. (Although, both are definitely more Forgeable than Heretic). It doesn't have to be FW levels of customization, but at least give us something to close up doors / windows / tunnels with like the Breakpoint "Door" object and one-way shields. (Think the Energy Blockers on Cold Storage)

Unearthed is an awesome Firefight map, and fills the Lost Platoon shaped hole in my Halo heart. Framerate on here is silky smooth, you will not be disappointed.

Buy the pack next Tuesday is what I'm saying here. I've already got my 800msp ready to go.

Also, those of you wondering, Bungie.net auto-embargos any screenshots or other files you take on Defiant maps, hence why all pictures/video so far from the community are going to be off-screen.

FyreWulff on
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Unearthed is an awesome Firefight map, and fills the Lost Platoon shaped hole in my Halo heart. Framerate on here is silky smooth, you will not be disappointed.
    How useful is the rocket hog in Unearthed? It's worthless on Beachhead, so I had hoped we'd get a regular chaingun hog instead.

Arteen on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So Bungie Beta sing up still isn't working, and seems to have been put on hold for the time being?

Edit: To keep this Halo related.

<iframesrc="http://www.bungie.net/Silverlight/bungiemediaplayer/embed.aspx?fid=14593785"scrolling="no"style="padding:0;margin:0;border:0;"width="640"height="360"></iframe&gt;

Edit2: How does one post embeded rendered videos?

Leitner on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Leitner wrote: »
    So Bungie Beta sing up still isn't working, and seems to have been put on hold for the time being?

Edit: To keep this Halo related.

<iframesrc="http://www.bungie.net/Silverlight/bungiemediaplayer/embed.aspx?fid=14593785"scrolling="no"style="padding:0;margin:0;border:0;"width="640"height="360"></iframe&gt;

Edit2: How does one post embeded rendered videos?

You can't. Upload it to YouTube and post that link.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Making a BTB one-flag map. Afraid it may just end up being Invasion by the time it is finished. Also afraid it is too big for mostly-on-foot. We'll see.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Arteen wrote: »
    How useful is the rocket hog in Unearthed? It's worthless on Beachhead, so I had hoped we'd get a regular chaingun hog instead.

It seems like it would be pretty useful to me. Lots of long 'corridors' created by the layout, setting up victims for the rocket assault

FyreWulff on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think the gauss hog is criminally underrepresented in multiplayer.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    I think the gauss hog is criminally underrepresented in multiplayer.

Underrepresented in the game as a whole. Hell, the series.

Willeth on
    edited March 2011
    At least in the campaign you get to use it. I haven't seen it in MP in Reach at all. It was one my favorite things in Halo 2. Riding around in Zanzibar with a friend driving, racking up the kills by shooting people in the toes. Good times.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    At least in the campaign you get to use it. I haven't seen it in MP in Reach at all. It was one my favorite things in Halo 2. Riding around in Zanzibar with a friend driving, racking up the kills by shooting people in the toes. Good times.

An instakill cannon with unlimited ammo with better-than-average accuracy is completely ridiculous to put into multiplayer.

EvilBadman on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    EvilBadman wrote: »

An instakill cannon with unlimited ammo with better-than-average accuracy is completely ridiculous to put into multiplayer.

Indeed. Someone obviously never played Big Team Battle on Standoff Heavy.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yay, got a defiant code from the HaloWaypoint twitter. For those that don't know, they post 2 codes every hour (at the 17minute mark)... these codes have a few ?s in them, but the ? characters are always 3s or 4s.

http://twitter.com/#!/HaloWaypoint

Ratsult2 on
  • DogEightDogEight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kor wrote: »

Indeed. Someone obviously never played Big Team Battle on Standoff Heavy.
    Damn it, Kor. I had almost fully repressed that memory. That one goddamn Standoff Heavy game encouraged me to write to both the Vatican and United Nations requesting the use of Gauss Hogs against human opponents be defined as a crime against God/humanity.

DogEight on
    edited March 2011
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Yay, got a defiant code from the HaloWaypoint twitter. For those that don't know, they post 2 codes every hour (at the 17minute mark)... these codes have a few ?s in them, but the ? characters are always 3s or 4s.

Grumbles... there's no way I'm gonna get this without a keypad.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Jesuits wrote: »

You can enter keys online.

EvilBadman on
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Both of them redeemed within 30 seconds

oy

Theodore Floosevelt on
    f2ojmwh3geue.png
    edited March 2011

oy

Keep trying. Fyre, Rat, and I have won.

Copy, paste and a bit of luck are going to be your friends.

EvilBadman on
    edited March 2011

You can enter keys online.

I am a big idiot, thanks much.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited March 2011

oy

Keep trying. Fyre, Rat, and I have won.

Copy, paste and a bit of luck are going to be your friends.

FyreWulff on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Also, need some people for map testing plz!

Viscountalpha on
    edited March 2011
    Also fun fact about Defiant: Highlands is the first official Halo map to have default teleporters and not be a remake of an earlier map with porters since the Halo 2 multiplayer map pack disc.. in 2005.

The only maps that had porters by default in 3 were remakes (Avalanche, Cold Storage)

edit: to be specific, the last non-remake to have a default teleporter on the map was Relic, in May 2005.

Relic (May 2005) -> Highlands (March 2011) is almost a perfect six year gap.
    Pretty sure ladders are never coming back.

FyreWulff on
  • hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Aww, I kinda liked ladders.

hailthefish on
    edited March 2011

It's basically the tank turret without the splash.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Is there some sort of max-entity count in Forge? I've still got $1360 left in the budget, but I can't place anything.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    There's a limit on the amount of any one object you can place, items from one category, as well as a limit on the map. If you hit any one of them, you can't place any more of those/anything from those categories/anything on the map.

Willeth on
    edited March 2011
    Willeth wrote: »
    There's a limit on the amount of any one object you can place, items from one category, as well as a limit on the map. If you hit any one of them, you can't place any more of those/anything from those categories/anything on the map.

I mean, I have 51 more inclines usable, and now after deleting some superfluous spawns, $1300 in budget. It's a shame that there has to be a cap on the map, since a goodly portion (race geometry) isn't even visible in most modes. This may dash my hopes of making this compatible with every gametype.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited March 2011

I mean, I have 51 more inclines usable, and now after deleting some superfluous spawns, $1300 in budget. It's a shame that there has to be a cap on the map, since a goodly portion (race geometry) isn't even visible in most modes. This may dash my hopes of making this compatible with every gametype.

Well, your budget is your map limit. The number next to each object is how many you have left of that object.

Willeth on
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Damn it you guys are getting this for free? I need to get on a desktop and do whatever trick it is you guys are up on. D:

Ranced on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I can't do that twitter giveaway because for some reason Xbox.com keeps hanging when I try to load the "Redeem Code" page.

DarkPrimus on
    edited March 2011
    Pretty sure it's done anyway. :(

Ranced on
    edited March 2011

Well, your budget is your map limit. The number next to each object is how many you have left of that object.

I'm sayin I must have hit some sort of upper boundary on placed objects. I can't place any more objects of any sort with $1300 budget, but if I delete some spawns or objectives I can use more of the budget. Invasion looks like it takes a lot of objects (mostly free budget-wise), but pushing this upper limit, I may have to load an old version and make a separate invasion map with the same base geometry.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Ranced wrote: »

You could have ventured to Boston for Pax East and got one there.

EvilBadman on
    edited March 2011

I was there briefly on Friday. Silent went around some panels while another friend and I checked out the seemingly underwhelming city of Boston!

Ranced on
    edited March 2011

I'm sayin I must have hit some sort of upper boundary on placed objects. I can't place any more objects of any sort with $1300 budget, but if I delete some spawns or objectives I can use more of the budget. Invasion looks like it takes a lot of objects (mostly free budget-wise), but pushing this upper limit, I may have to load an old version and make a separate invasion map with the same base geometry.

There is in fact an (undetermined) number of total objects you can place on any map, which is a file format limitation called the OLN (Object Limit Number). Regardless of how much money is left, it won't let you go over the OLN.

Every single object you place (objective/spawn/spawn area/weapons/etc) counts towards the limit.

In Halo 3, it was 640 objects, and also had a bug where the initial objects on the map permanently counted towards it. I have no idea if they bumped that up for Reach, but they did talk about the counter bug being fixed.

FyreWulff on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

I was there briefly on Friday. Silent went around some panels while another friend and I checked out the seemingly underwhelming city of Boston!

Then don't come to portland, oregon expecting it to be awesome then either. Pax in seattle is really neat though.

Viscountalpha on
    edited March 2011
    We've just confirmed that the Defiant achievements are not like Noble where the entire team gets them. Only the individual people that grabbed the Stockpile flags or the person who counts as returning the flag.

FyreWulff on
    edited March 2011
    Girfball is completely redeemed in my eyes. Did about 5 matches tonight with 3 RL friends. 4 wins (3-0) and 1 tie (2 - 2). For most of the games I was pretty on fire. The tips someone here gave a couple pages ago about timing with the gravity hammer really paid off. I had several killing sprees, one of which was 1 short of a frenzy. Several triple kills as well. The highlight for me was the round where I flogged the bomb carrier in the back, picked up the bomb, then steamrolled 2 of his teammates with it on the way to the pad for a triple kill and the bomb set.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Also, nice to know that reports from PAX East seem to indicate that they're still doing a piss poor job of running the Halo tournament, but at least the MLG team got beat this year. You have your own tournament guys!

Seriously, don't bother with the Halo tournament at either PAX Prime or East until they come up with a different Enforcer to run it. It's been poorly run every time I go there, and every time people go to the ones I'm not at.

FyreWulff on
    edited March 2011
    New weekly: Win 50 Games in MM, 7777cR

FyreWulff on