As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Fate Series]: Unlimited Blade Works TV Series Now Playing! Heaven's Feel Film After!

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Kiritsugu
    I got the impression that the cold hearted thing was more like a veneer, proven by Natalia's death and him talking with Irisviel about just taking off in episode 7. He's calculating, yeah, but he's certainly emotional.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I found out that you can get all 24 episodes of the Fate Stay Night anime on DVD for $35. In comparison, I had to pay a total of $90 to get all 12 Madoka Magica episodes ($30 for each 4 episode DVD).

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Well sure, you could. I haven't exactly heard that it's the best adaptation though... But it could be worse, like Tsukihime's anime (based off another excellent Type-Moon work), where everyone who actually knows the original story just pretends it doesn't exist.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Good VN adaptations are few and far between. Steins;Gate is considered the only good one, far as I know.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    If Type-moon is really good at one thing it's layering plots over each other in that peculiarly VN way. Tsukihime in particular was really good at it, it's really interesting going through different choices and gaining more and more context about what was going on in previous playthroughs at the same time.

Trying to take that construction and turn it into a single linear storyline is kind of tricky. Especially when you take the most boring route as the primary basis.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    I actually really like the adaptations for ef: A Fairy Tale of the Two (ef: A Tale of Memories and ef: A Tale of Melodies). They aren't 100% faithful to the original story, but they're really good and I actually feel like both versions of the story have something to offer, especially given the visual style they used. The dub cast for the anime (I realized there was a dub recently and nabbed it) really needs to learn how to pronounce certain honorifics if they're going to use them as English-speakers though. They weren't even consistent, man. I mean it wasn't a bad dub, it just could've been better.

Fate/Zero is indeed being dubbed, right? Have any of you guys actually seen it yet? I know good dubs are possible... Funimation definitely does them these days, for example. I really want F/Z to have a good dub so I can more easily rope people into the series. I also do usually like dubs better than subs when they're done at least passably well, I've gotta be honest.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    GIGANTIC TAGER is the voice of Rider. I'm sure it'll be great.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Right now the dub is exclusive to Neon Alley, though I imagine it'll be released on DVD/BLU shortly afterward.

A Toonami run would be quite excellent, and has been requested for some time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EJKawT3UNw&hd=1

• Options
    Fate/Zero getting a VN. How meta: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/21/fatezero-the-adventure-coming-to-iphone-this-spring/

"Cut-in graphics" probably means still artwork. I'd be very surprised if Ufotable actually did new animation, so it'll probably be like the PSP Madoka game and just feature new stills.

New endings sound intriguing though.

Fingers cross for Saber/Irisviel alternate happy end.

I know I've rolled my eyes over yuri shipping, but I'm pretty sure Saber is a bisexual. It'd be a heck of a better outcome than staying with Kiritsugu, in any case.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Going for the 'Rider/Velvet rule the world' path.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Man, Rider is so much fun in this show.

I love how
    the man has so much charisma that it is literally his ultimate weapon

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    You know that Rider is the epitome of charisma and awesomeness when even
    fucking Gilgamesh respects him.

Also, seeing how Monster Hunter is growing in popularity, both in this board and outside, you might get a kick out of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ixQg_qSNriQ&hd=1

• Options
    Fate/Extra CCC was the biggest selling new release this week, only under Luigi's Mansion, which has been out. Hopefully it bodes well for a localization, but I've seen that the game has some serious cheesecake that might hurt its chances.

It's equal opportunity fan-service, I'll give it that.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    Especially considering that I believe this is Nasu's last foray into the Fate universe. Really wish it'd be localized, but I have my doubts as to whether it'll actually happen.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    Seriously, I need to know the story behind the
    gigantic breasted clawed Sakura clone (?)

That is not something he should be closing the Fate series with.

• Options
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Stay fabulous Gil.

Also man, that CCC spoiler.
    Shows you with the servant of your ally instead of the one you pick. I wonder if it's temporary or can be permi net like servant changes are in /stay night[|spoiler]

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Good VN adaptations are few and far between. Steins;Gate is considered the only good one, far as I know.

You forgot the Kei adaptions of Clannad After Story and, from what I hear, Little Busters. But yes, S;G had a fantastic adaption.

It's best to pretend the /stay night and Tsukihime animes don't exist. They're that terrible.

• Options
    Just started the VN of Fate(Realta Nua, PC). Glad I ignored the anime this long, I love it so far, especially that it's from Rin's perspective at the start.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    It damn well should have been for Heaven's Feel.

That would have easily made up for that route's biggest shortcoming.

• Options
    You know, I initially would've disagreed that Rin should've been the main character... but now that I think about it, a lot of the plot would actually worked just as well with Rin in the lead. Most of the stuff Shirou finds out about during the story Rin actually doesn't know either (except for certain things in Heaven's Feel, but that would've been handled differently).

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Just started the VN of Fate(Realta Nua, PC). Glad I ignored the anime this long, I love it so far, especially that it's from Rin's perspective at the start.

Yay. Prepare for lots and lots of awesome moments an make sure you see all the bad ends/alturnative ends. For one some of them are really good. For another it unlocks the Fate-route epilogue.

And as much as I make fun of it, the Fate route isn't bad... it's just that the other two are leagues an leagues better. It does do it's job of establishing the characters and setting well. It's major problem is just that the pacing is all over the place.

There's a silly little comparison I use to describe the three routes...

Fate is being taught how to swim in a public pool with a lifeguard on duty.
    UBW is being dropped, handcuffed and bound, miles out in the shark infested ocean and being told 'swim or die'.
    HF is being dropped, handcuffed and bound, into an erupting volcano...

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular

Yay. Prepare for lots and lots of awesome moments an make sure you see all the bad ends/alturnative ends. For one some of them are really good. For another it unlocks the Fate-route epilogue.

And they make fun of you, too. Go back and try the stupid choice!

• Options
    So there is no way Fate/Extra CCC is coming out here.
    More NSFW cheesecake.

no fricking way.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    And after all the effort they went through making cheesecake for everyone, too! Tsk. What a shame. It's funny, because the second game's ridiculousness has me much more interested in playing the PSP games than the first one did. Oh well, gives me an excuse to put my newfound Japanese skills to the test by importing it.

• Options
    That's actual the tame stuff. I wouldn't post the worst ones even with an NSFW warning.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Fate/Zero getting a film adaptation....only not in the way you'd expect.

Between this and Prisma Illya, I feel that they're really squandering the success of Zero. Their immediate follow-up should have been an animated Urobuchi-supervised adaption of Heaven's Feel, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime soon. EXTRA may be selling like hotcakes over in Japan, but the premise and tone of that game just doesn't grab me the way Zero and the original VN did. It may suffice as a side thing, but not as a proper successor.

I really want to see Nasu and Urobuchi collaborate on something again, be it Fate or otherwise. An HF adaption still feels like the best possible thing to do next, because it not only animates the Fate route that hasn't seen an animated adaption yet, and can also improve on several of the story flaws I had with the original.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Fate/Zero getting a film adaptation....only not in the way you'd expect.

Between this and Prisma Illya, I feel that they're really squandering the success of Zero. Their immediate follow-up should have been an animated Urobuchi-supervised adaption of Heaven's Feel, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime soon. EXTRA may be selling like hotcakes over in Japan, but the premise and tone of that game just doesn't grab me the way Zero and the original VN did. It may suffice as a side thing, but not as a proper successor.

I really want to see Nasu and Urobuchi collaborate on something again, be it Fate or otherwise. An HF adaption still feels like the best possible thing to do next, because it not only animates the Fate route that hasn't seen an animated adaption yet, and can also improve on several of the story flaws I had with the original.

Having seen the new Vita version CG openings for /stay night by ufotable, I really want to see a Heaven's Feel adaption by them. Seriously, the Opening is -fantastic-. I'm going to put it behind a spoiler because it actually contains actual serious spoilers for the route for people that haven't gone through it, but damn. Anime when?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNsjHcWDt1Y

No good-quality direct feeds that I can find on youtube. Sorry.

ufotable are so much better than DEEN it hurts. Outside of the great soundtrack, the Unlimited Blade Works movie is disappointing in its rendition of the fights compared to the VN, and that's all that it is (5% of the plot of the route, 70% of the fights) and it's better to pretend that the /stay night Fate-route anime series doesn't exist unless you're using it for a drinking game.

But if you want more great ufotable Type Moon animation, watch the Kara no Kyōkai (Boundary of Emptiness): The Garden of Sinners movies. It not only shows how impressive ufotable's animation is with a movie budget, but it's also a good story even if it's not fully related to the rest of the Natsuverse (the Light Novels its adapted from are a prototype for parts of Tsukihime in a way).

I think Type Moon will go back to serious for the next adaption though based upon their current cycle. They've done Gag Comedy (Carnival Phantasm) --> Serious (Fate/zero adaption) --> Magical Girl Parody (Prisma Illya) next season. It should be time for more serious after that, whether it's a Heaven's Feel or Fate/Apocrypha or Tsukihime adaption. Though they're probably saving a Tuskihime anime till after the visual novel remake gets completed.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    And here's the UBW opening (in shitty quality) for the hell of it:
    And the Fate-route OP which I can actually find in high quality:
    Neither are as spoilery, nor as awesome as the Heaven's Feel opening, but they're way better than the originals and make DEEN's work look like Flash animation.

• Options
    Goddamn, that Berserker.
    breaks my heart we never got Berserker as an ally in any of the routes.

Someone has to localize the Vita version. Aksys, Atlus, XSEED. Somebody get on it already.

Also....
    (Sakura crying)

I bet Urobuchi is stroking his chin muttering "Yes....yes...". You know he would be overjoyed to adapt HF.

Wait, if Nasu and Urobuchi are old friends, and Urobuchi oversaw Nasu working on Fate/Stay Night....

Dear God, Urobuchi was the inspiration for Kotomine. It all makes sense now.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Goddamn, that Berserker.
    Well, Rin and Shirou tried in UBW. It just... didn't work out. Poor Illya. :(

At least she's getting her own anime.

Also, I totally imported CCC. Well, more like I imported Bride Nero and got CCC with it.
    9wcsYDi.jpg?1

I am lacking in Type-Moon merch. I really want to get a Rider figure eventually (both /stay night and /zero).
    I do have a great Emiya shirt though. Glow in the dark magic circuits image in the front, "trace on" on the back.

And I really need to superglue the swords for that UBW Rin. They don't stay into their little slots well at all, nor in the positions they're supposed to be in. It is a great statue though, and it's huge... towering over my previous 'this is huge' figure of Emperor Lelouch.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm getting deluged by choices in Chapter 1 of F S/N. Does any of this affect a path, or just go with whatever? And I guess the stuff Fate/Zero spoiled was background story for the characters, but ah well. I like having an idea of what's coming, but not the full picture.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Goddamn, that Berserker.
    Well, Rin and Shirou tried in UBW. It just... didn't work out. Poor Illya. :(

At least she's getting her own anime.

Also, I totally imported CCC. Well, more like I imported Bride Nero and got CCC with it.
    9wcsYDi.jpg?1

I am lacking in Type-Moon merch. I really want to get a Rider figure eventually (both /stay night and /zero).
    I do have a great Emiya shirt though. Glow in the dark magic circuits image in the front, "trace on" on the back.

And I really need to superglue the swords for that UBW Rin. They don't stay into their little slots well at all, nor in the positions they're supposed to be in. It is a great statue though, and it's huge... towering over my previous 'this is huge' figure of Emperor Lelouch.

That's a heck of a Rin statue.

It keeps making me think of an earlier comment about if Rin was the protagonist for Heaven's Feel.

That would have been excellent.

Seriously, it would have fixed more than half the issues I had with that route.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I'm getting deluged by choices in Chapter 1 of F S/N. Does any of this affect a path, or just go with whatever? And I guess the stuff Fate/Zero spoiled was background story for the characters, but ah well. I like having an idea of what's coming, but not the full picture.

If it's your first time playing, you do all the routes in sequence; Fate, UBW, then Heaven's Feel. Some choices are just flavor, but some will net you a bad end. Save whenever one pops up.

edit- goddamn drafts

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    One thing I always liked about /stay night is that no matter what, someone doesn't get saved depending on the route you choose. The harsh reality contrasts well against Shirou's superhero selfless desire to save everyone.

/stay night spoils parts of /zero and /zero spoils parts of /stay night. No matter which order you went in you were going to get spoilers.

As above you're locked into the routes in order until you complete them, and then you can chose choices that determine which one you end up on. Choices affect character relationship points and whether you make a bad or good tactical decision: both factors influence which of the 39 bad endings and 1 non-canon ending that could have been its own route if it were ever shown. In the later two routes they'll also affect which of the two endings you get.

When you get a bad ending you unlock a Tiger Dojo. These are the most hilarious things in the visual novel and you want to see all 40 of them. Not to mention that getting all 5 regular endings and all 40 bad ends unlocks the Epilogue.

• Options
    Boy does that sound convoluted. The Tiger Dojos sound like the Help Me Dr. Kokonoe(you screwed up and here's why) segments from BlazBlue.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Boy does that sound convoluted. The Tiger Dojos sound like the Help Me Dr. Kokonoe(you screwed up and here's why) segments from BlazBlue.

Don't forget that the translation comes with a flowchart if you ever miss a bad end or otherwise want more guidance. Since I like to see everything in every game (and it's 100% worth seeing all the bad endings in F/SN) that was very helpful to me, but otherwise if you screw up somewhere the Tiger Dojos pretty much literally tell you what you did wrong. I really wish they had translated the message that precedes the Tiger Dojos differently though, because it's caused a lot of confusion that could've been avoided with different word choice (not using the word 'image'). All it means is the Tiger Dojos (not the endings they follow, of course) aren't serious.

Essee on
  • Options

I believe that is precisely where BlazBlue got the idea from.

Anyway, the simple answer is to make a save every time a dialogue option comes up. They give you more than enough slots to do that with all three routes, and it's worth doing just to see the multiple endings.

I need to go back one day and get all the bad/neutral endings. Everyone keeps going on about "Mind of Steel".

• Options
    F/SN's finally gotten rolling.

5vPmFCN.jpg

Rin is the bestest. (And I love the surprised expressions.)

wVEsyIc.png