As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Choose Your Own Adventure] Summary in second post! Regular updates resume!

hoodie13hoodie13 punch broRegistered User regular
edited April 2013 in Social Entropy++
New to the game? Check out this thread to get caught up. A "previously on CYOA" post will follow this one so new players can get caught up fairly quickly. Right now, the Bug people have sent one of their spies into a Lizard stronghold to convince a councilmember to give up land-use rights...

---

You are a master spy. The Bug leaders sent you on this journey to the Lizard capitol as a precaution, but it appears your services were needed. The Lizard council has decided your people are no longer allies, and have forbid you from using their resources without extensive penalties. One could even call the requests a tribute. All of the precious gems your people have collected, just thrown away to appease some vertebrate's hurt feelings? Nonsense! The time for open hands has passed, but neither will a closed fist suffice. Sometimes...

All that's needed is a sharp blade.

---

Before the guard can react, you turn the corner and knock him over the head with the flat of one of your bladed arms. You catch him and lower him slowly to the ground, propping him up against a bookshelf, a heavy tome in his hands. Maybe he just fell asleep reading one of the books? No matter.

Through the bookshelf, you can see two more guards in the room, and the exit to the left. Now... how to get there without being seen?

tumblr_mjymo7WL5K1r7wcjxo1_500.jpg

MOVING AND GUARDS:
-You can move 3 squares per turn. Note which square you'd like to move to in BOLD.
-Guards can generally see all squares 3 spaces in front of them, but not through obstructions.
-Guards can hear small sounds in all directions at a distance of 2 squares. Loud sounds (attacks, special actions like yelling or throwing things) echo throughout the room and will alert the other guards. Movements would be a small sound, hearable only within 2 squares.
-At the end of your action, guards may move or change orientation. Guards will only move one square per turn, though they may throw their spears at a distance.
-If you can draw a line from yourself to the guard on the map, you can hit them with one of your THROWN attacks.
-CLOSE attacks must be performed when next to a guard.

Options:

A) NO SPECIAL ACTION
B) Yell out, drawing guards to your position
C) Wait for the guards to move, then act (you will delay your actions until the end of the guards turn, then you'll move. On your next turn, you'll go first. You can use this action to move speedily, but you can only use it once in a row.)
D) Kill the guard up-close
E) Knock out the guard up-close
F) <Please describe the action and I will determine its difficulty. Actions should NOT require the use of an item, though you can recommend a item for use. Requires 4 people to support your decision. Please use RED when proposing/supporting an action!>

Your items and abilities:

1) USE NO ITEMS
2) 1 Stun Lightning Bugs (thrown)
3) 1 Pheromone Grenade (thrown, wide-effect, 3x3)
4) 1 Pheromone Burst (close/touch, short-range, 1x1)
5) 1 Assume Disguise (close/touch)
6) 1 Fire Breath (thrown)
7) 1 Poisoned Throwing Blade (thrown)
8) Arm blades (close/touch)

You have TWO HP.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
XBL: Torn Hoodie
@hoodiethirteen
hoodie13 on

• Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Previously on The Saga of the Bug People CYOA game:

You are a civilization of intelligent bugs. Made up of a number of different species, you realized early on in your time that you needed to work together to survive in this difficult world. Being a social civilization, you chose to specialize in politics and subterfuge rather than the way of the sword, the spell, or science.

You first expanded north, coming across many resources to expand your empire. You created weapons and light armor to help you defend yourselves, but they were of no use when faced with your first potential enemy: crawfish from the large northern lake. Thankfully, your queen used her powerful pheromones to influence the crawfish's demeanors, making them allies in your quest. You continued north, toward a large stone structure on the coast that you referred to as The Megalith.

The Megalith was built from carved stone by an ancient civilization unknown to you. You set up camp outside and sent expeditions inside to investigate. They found a large chamber with a sacrificial altar, connected in magical and mechanical ways to a massive door. Upon experimentation, you discovered that the altar responded to blood and ichor. You made the hard decision of sacrificing some of your people as Martyrs to open the door, and were successful.

On the other side of the door lay a curious room. A small bridge extended into a seemingly bottomless chasm, and at the end of this bridge there was a circular platform with machinery (still humming with power and motion) arranged around it. Two skeletons, one large and the other small, lay against one of the machines. At one side stood a long-petrified tree with a face, its roots embedded in the stone platform. In the center of the platform sat a huge amber sphere with something inside that you couldn't make out. As a people, you resolved to investigate this room instead of closing it off.

Meanwhile, you continued to expand your empire to the south, having claimed all of the northern portion of the continent. It was then that you first encountered the Death Beasts, a nomadic group of mammalian bipeds that summoned death energy to sustain themselves, at the cost of draining the life from the land (and several of your people). One of your spies kidnapped a Beast and you created weapons to fight against the Beasts' magic.

You continued to push south, and also encountered another civilization, the Lizards. The Lizards lived a solitary existence at the south end of the continent, content to mine and refine the ore that a neaby volcano provided. They stayed behind the high, thick walls of their city and only hesitantly did they respond to your requests for an audience. You successfully traded some technology with them, and finagled a deal to let you deal with the Death Beast threat in exchange for a favor, to be cashed in later.

Immediately following this, you fought your first battle against the Death Beasts. Your technology won you victory handily, but the Cougar leader and several lower ranking members escaped to warn the second village. You decided pursued them to the second village and, finding it abandoned, sent booby-trapped Death Beast captives ahead of you. The captives killed a great many Beasts at the third camp, but you still needed to wipe them out completely. Through a series of battles lasting several days, you destroyed the Death Beast civilization and claimed their lands for your own. During the battle, you kidnapped one of the Lizard soldiers, a Lanzer, and studied it to be able to assume the identity of Lanzers in the future. You even successfully captured the Cougar leader and questioned it, though it died during a particularly aggressive tea session with interrogators Mothra Stewart and Paula Bee Dean.

You then learned of something terrible from your science team from the Megalith. Before the first battle with the Death Beasts, as a people you'd been plagued with thundering visions in your minds: "I see you," "I know you," and "I am within you." You eventually discovered that these were psychic messages from the inhabitant of the amber sphere in the Megalith, a Shaman of the Fish People who'd been sealed away by the Tree People, ages past. The machines had kept the amber sphere's magic working all these years, but the concentration of mental energy and misplaced reverence from some of your people empowered the Shaman, allowing him to break free by taking control of a nearby scientist Ant and sabotaging one of the machines. The Ant was injured, but he lived to tell the tale. The Shaman has not been seen since.

Your people have advanced significantly. You've used genetic engineering to make powerful pheromones, trained spies in the art of mimicry, and created massive Water Striders to eventually cross the great sea. You've modified yourselves to have tougher chitin shells and you now possess natural weapons like sharpened blades you can hide within yourselves. Your pyromaniac Moths manufacture lightning bugs and explosive grenades. But all of these advancements require resources, and resources can be scarce.

After the destruction of the Death Beasts, you find yourselves on a continent without enemies, facing numerous resources already claimed by your allies. In order to avoid a war, you send a diplomat and spy to the Lizard main city to convince the Lizards one way or another to let you use their resources to expand your empire.

The Lizards refuse, citing war atrocities committed by you as deteriorating the trust between your two civilizations. You resolve to convince the council by sending a spy to change the Head Councilman's mind, one way or another. After stealthily making his way through the Councilman's hallways and library, your spy assassinates the Councilman and assumes his identity. Perhaps you can change policy from within?

What happens next? It's up to you!

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Aw yuss

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I say we should hold our move action and then throw a book towards M12? Get the guards' attention focused there for a bit

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I say we should hold our move action and then throw a book towards M12? Get the guards' attention focused there for a bit

We already made one loud noise. Another in this room will put all guards on high alert.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Ah fair enough.
    H11 and see where the guards move.

• Options
    BTW, you got lucky with that last roll for attacking the guard. You rolled a 7, he rolled a 6.

@hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Luck has nothing to do with it, my good man. We have loaded the dice, you see

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    BTW, you got lucky with that last roll for attacking the guard. You rolled a 7, he rolled a 6.

You say "luck", I think it was skill. We used just enough to get the job done.

Move to K7 - 2 Stunbug the guy, then we can get out of this library.
    Kind of feel bad for guard lizard in L12, I mean it's not a great thing to have all your buddies knocked out without you ever noticing. Dude probably has kids and a wife to support at home, and you just know that this isn't looking good on his next employee evaluation.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    If all goes according to plan, we'll be the ones evaluating.

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    If all goes according to plan, we'll be the ones evaluating.

And we will tell them that is probably very little they could have done to avoid the matter, promote them to a supervisory position, and make sure they have enough busy work at the office, and good life at home, so that they never get a chance to ask too many questions.

• Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    Leaving guards knocked out like this is going to raise questions.

I think that once we replace the king, we should immediately destroy or hide some important document or treasure, and start a witch-hunt among the lizard-folk. Sow dissension, keep the heat off the false king. Also gives us an opening to create a secret police in the lizards and do some real messed up stuff.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Agreed.

Before we came to the library, I was hoping we could make it to the king totally undetected, so that there's no real cause for suspicion. At this rate we definitely need to start planning a cover up.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Man, I am so glad we are doing this instead of fighting another war

• Options
    oh ho ho ho hoooooo

@hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited March 2013

Move to K7 - 2 Stunbug the guy, then we can get out of this library.

NeoToma on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, it's back! Yay!

Time to go on the offensive.

K7, 2

Then we set the library on fire for good measure.

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    I'll support K7 2

I'm worried about using up our supplies, but I think it's the strongest option here

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Move to k9.

No action.

Next move l10 push the bookshelf onto the lizard.

Stun bug the final dude.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    K7

• Options
    edited March 2013
    K7 2

Tox on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    So are we just assuming that once we reach the exit the other guard will not notice us or anything wrong?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    So are we just assuming that once we reach the exit the other guard will not notice us or anything wrong?

Pretty much. Rules say Lizards can only see three squares ahead.
    Even if the lizard moves diagonally to K11, it won't be able to see us in K7. Unless we botch the stunbug roll and make a lot of noise, we should be pretty much unnoticed.
    No idea how long it'll take the lizard guard to notice his unconscious buddies though.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Set fire to the library and he'll be too busy to pursue us anyway!

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    K7 2

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options

Yeah. The other lizard probably won't notice anything. It's not like they're people.

• Options
    Kaplar wrote: »

Yeah. The other lizard probably won't notice anything. It's not like they're people.

Besides which, all we need to do is stand still and we're functionally invisible to all their senses.
    I learned that from Jurassic Park. And Jurassic Park wouldn't lie to me about something like this. Not when lives are at stake.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    That is only relevant to trexs.

Jesus christ isla nuba would have killed you in an hour.

• Options
    I mean fuck, the second scene he says that raptors don't see just movement.

• Options
    Please, I would have just closed the door behind me.
    I mean, dinosaurs don't know how to open doors. I'd be perfectly safe.

• Options
    Right, so, I've had this update here in the comment box for the last 4 days, but I haven't been able to find my map to make the corrections so I didn't post it yet. But I still can't find my map.

So here's the new update, sans regular map. Pardon our dust, and all that.

You are a master spy. The Bug leaders sent you on this journey to the Lizard capitol as a precaution, but it appears your services were needed. The Lizard council has decided your people are no longer allies, and have forbid you from using their resources without extensive penalties. One could even call the requests a tribute. All of the precious gems your people have collected, just thrown away to appease some vertebrate's hurt feelings? Nonsense! The time for open hands has passed, but neither will a closed fist suffice. Sometimes...

All that's needed is a sharp blade.

---

Seeing an opportunity, you rush for the exit. A stun bug climbs into your claw and you whip it forward around the bookcase and into the chest of the waiting guard. A tiny web of electricity courses over his body and he drops. You're now standing next to the door, and decide to just go through it because really what else is there, you've got the chance, might as well take it!

You enter a longer room, lined with columns, that ends in double doors. Two Lizard sentries, wide awake, guard the doors. You strongly suspect the councilman is behind those doors.

Now how to get past those guards?

tumblr_mk7xtfX2rW1r7wcjxo1_500.jpg

MOVING AND GUARDS:
    -You can move 3 squares per turn. Note which square you'd like to move to in BOLD.
    -Guards can generally see all squares 3 spaces in front of them, but not through obstructions.
    -Guards can hear small sounds in all directions at a distance of 2 squares. Loud sounds (attacks, special actions like yelling or throwing things) echo throughout the room and will alert the other guards. Movements would be a small sound, hearable only within 2 squares.
    -At the end of your action, guards may move or change orientation. Guards will only move one square per turn, though they may throw their spears at a distance.
    -If you can draw a line from yourself to the guard on the map, you can hit them with one of your THROWN attacks.
    -CLOSE attacks must be performed when next to a guard.

Options:

A) NO SPECIAL ACTION
    B) Yell out, drawing guards to your position
    C) Wait for the guards to move, then act (you will delay your actions until the end of the guards turn, then you'll move. On your next turn, you'll go first. You can use this action to move speedily, but you can only use it once in a row.)
    D) Kill the guard up-close
    E) Knock out the guard up-close
    F) <Please describe the action and I will determine its difficulty. Actions should NOT require the use of an item, though you can recommend a item for use. Requires 4 people to support your decision. Please use RED when proposing/supporting an action!>

Your items and abilities:

1) USE NO ITEMS
    2) 1 Stun Lightning Bugs (thrown)
    3) 1 Pheromone Grenade (thrown, wide-effect, 3x3)
    4) 1 Pheromone Burst (close/touch, short-range, 1x1)
    5) 1 Assume Disguise (close/touch)
    6) 1 Fire Breath (thrown)
    7) 1 Poisoned Throwing Blade (thrown)
    8) Arm blades (close/touch)

You have TWO HP.

@hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Phremone burst.

Make them kiss.

Rush pass.

Pfft. Not even up for debate.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Blake T wrote: »
    Phremone burst.

Make them kiss.

Rush pass.

Pfft. Not even up for debate.

You mean grenade? How about we have them both go off into a corner and kiss instead of having one seduce the other. And for them to run to F1.

Kaplar on
  • Options
  • Options
    Yeah as much as I'd love to save our pheromones until we assume councillor status, we probably can't afford that.

Don't we want to be using the grenade, though, not the burst?

• Options
    Yeah as much as I'd love to save our pheromones until we assume councillor status, we probably can't afford that.

Don't we want to be using the grenade, though, not the burst?

Yes. Unless we use the burst on the sexiest lizard.

• Options
    Also, just thinking about the future, do we think all lizards can breathe fire? Like could, say, the councillor?

• Options
    The burst as I understand it, will effect both of them and have the same effect as the grenade.

But the grenade effects a wider area.

So it would make sense to use the one that would just work.

But if that is not the case then sure, use the made.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Also, just thinking about the future, do we think all lizards can breathe fire? Like could, say, the councillor?

We could use our grenade on him, have him embrace us as a lover, and then cleave him in twain.

Kaplar on
  • Options
    I'm not worried about him putting up a fight, I'm thinking about, uh, waste disposal

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    The burst as I understand it, will effect both of them and have the same effect as the grenade.

But the grenade effects a wider area.

So it would make sense to use the one that would just work.

But if that is not the case then sure, use the made.

I assumed that 1x1 meant just the one square and that 3x3 would be 9 with the target square being the center.