As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tropico: Tropico 5 is out! El Presidente's approval rating soars.

1111213141517»

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I like the Colonial Era. It's a nice, relaxing opportunity to really lay the foundations of your economy without having to worry about trivial things like healthcare and education.

In my opinion, the World Wars era is the worst one. It just doesn't really have an identity of its own. It's just the Cold War before the Cold War.

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Man. I FINALLY figured out happiness. I'm going to link the video for anyone still having trouble like I did. It's not the greatest vid, but if you pay attention to what is going on, it finally clicked for me. It is that simple.

I feel like an idiot now because of two reasons:
    1. I was looking at the wrong page of the almanac to figure out what to build. I was looking at the factions page and going down into individual tropicans to figure out what to build instead of just looking at the 2nd almanac tab for areas of happiness.
    2. I didn't understand that the taverns/resteraunts/etc had a max number that wasn't revolving. Those were permanent spots that were taken. When I saw 58/60 I had thought "not full yet" instead of "overloaded, build another one."

I am also finally starting to understand the impact of buildings that provide more service quality but use the previous generation's buildings as almost an emergency fallback so that the tropicans that can't go to the good stuff have at least SOMETHING.

Next up, really digging into constitution options to figure out wtf. I can finally enjoy this game without constantly fighting to keep my happiness up for elections! I just finished the invasions scenario with about $100k in cash and 85% approval on the normal difficulty. That's like super-duper awesome for my. Normally I was at 35% happiness and managing to eke it above 50% for an election.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Steam sale. 33% off ($26.79 USD) until the 18th!

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Hey guys Tropico 5 got an expansion today for $20. It is called WaterBorne and is all about building shit on the water surprise surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSojBRbMTrE

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I don't know why but Tropico 5 didn't really grab me, despite being objectively a damn good game. I'll have to get back into it at some point.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Tropico 5 is available for just under $27 for MS's Countdown to 2015. But only for the next five or so hours (~5a EST). I'd have mentioned it earlier...but I totally forgot about this thread.

Probably to pricey, though. But hey, options.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Did they ever rectify the bizarre transportation behaviour?

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Thread-surrection: Yes, yes they seem to have rectified the bizarre transportation behaviour. I went back to the game over the holidays, and traffic is much improved. I don't know if it's me being smarter with layout or what, but traffic issues start to emerge near the modern age, and then metro stations do seem to keep any problems from popping up and shutting down my island.

The DLCs have also added some neat buildings, like the Oyster Farm and the Drone Control. But a lot of the buildings are either useless or I can't figure them out. Like the Defense HQ, which is just outclassed by the Army Base... or the Inquisition, which... is it just for role revelation before you get Police Stations?

hippofant on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Is the HQ cheaper and/or smaller footprint? The base may be better, but if you're looking for a specific number of soldiers/generals, the smaller locations can provide a simple and quick boost. Like the building they introduced in 4 which holds a massive amount of residents at a fairly high satisfaction so long as you pay for periodic maintenance. I would tend to go for the ultimately better option, too. But sometimes in a pinch the so-called lesser building can work in a pinch.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Is the HQ cheaper and/or smaller footprint? The base may be better, but if you're looking for a specific number of soldiers/generals, the smaller locations can provide a simple and quick boost. Like the building they introduced in 4 which holds a massive amount of residents at a fairly high satisfaction so long as you pay for periodic maintenance. I would tend to go for the ultimately better option, too. But sometimes in a pinch the so-called lesser building can work in a pinch.

Army Base
    Cost: $13 000
    Availability: World Wars
    Size: 5x4
    Workers: 3, illiterate
    Budget: $75
    Job Quality: 65
    Wealth Provided: Well-off
    Military Unit: Tanks, 9000 health, 100 attack
    Upgrade: Reactive Armor, $5000
    Military Unit (w/upgrade): Tanks MKIII, 10 000 health, 100 attack

Defense HQ
    Cost: $17 000
    Availability: Modern Age
    Size: 6x6
    Budget: $65
    Workers: 8, illiterate
    Budget: $65
    Job Quality: 65
    Wealth Provided: Rich
    Military Unit: Commandos, 8000 health, 60 attack
    Upgrade: Flak Vests, $7500
    Military Unit (w/upgrade): Special Forces, 8000 health, 70 attack

Okay, sure, I guess it's not strictly better, but it's damn near close. Unless there's some interactions with military unit types I don't know about....

hippofant on
  • Options
    hippofant wrote: »
    the Inquisition, which... is it just for role revelation before you get Police Stations?

The Inquisition is also there to persecute factions, but I'm not sure what that actually means since I've never tried it. I assume it means the targeted faction is going to shrink and also really dislike you.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Honestly Defense HQ and Army Base are aimed at two entirely different Tropico situations.

Both are intended at boosting defense. True.

However.
    Army base:

-High budget.
    -Employs three persons who count as Well-off.

Defense HQ:
    -Lower budget than Army base
    -Employs 8 persons who count as Rich.

So the Defense HQ is a better choice if you to push up your profit, approval ratings and dropping unemployment. Army base on the other hand is a better choice if you need to get the maximum out of each worker.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Honestly Defense HQ and Army Base are aimed at two entirely different Tropico situations.

However.
    Army base:

-High budget.

Defense HQ:

So the Defense HQ is a better choice if you to push up your profit, approval ratings and dropping unemployment. Army base on the other hand is a better choice if you need to get the maximum out of each worker.

P.S: Overall Defense HQ gets the most bang per buck except in terms of original investment.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    How does adding a flak vest to a commando make them a better attack? Are they swinging the vests as clubs?

• Options
    How does adding a flak vest to a commando make them a better attack? Are they swinging the vests as clubs?

It's because El Presidente says so. Nothing in Tropico happens without the will of El Presidente!

P.S: For a more logical explanation, they've been trained to fight more aggressivly.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    The flak vest is known to induce the "Rambo Effect", by which soldiers feel invincible and will attack more aggressively. While the flak vest increases the soldiers survivability, this is balanced by the increased disregard for one's own life. Thus, the HP do not increase, but the damage dealt does.

• Options
    So it's laced with PCP, then? Cool.

• Options
    the Inquisition, which... is it just for role revelation before you get Police Stations?

The Inquisition is also there to persecute factions, but I'm not sure what that actually means since I've never tried it. I assume it means the targeted faction is going to shrink and also really dislike you.

I've tried persecution, but the religious faction was still my largest IIRC (or at least was still quite large) PLUS they hated me and kept generating rebels, so :bigfrown:

However.
    Army base:

-High budget.

Defense HQ:

This is pretty contrary to how I've come to understand management of citizens and money in Tropico. I think it'd be more prudent to employ those 5 extra people, say, growing cocoa and just use the extra profit to bump up building budgets, or educating them up into more productive jobs. In the mid-game, after I've established a consistent income, usually my problem becomes management of citizens and making sure they're each being efficiently utilized, especially with all the new DLC buildings. There are too many needs to balance, in addition to maintaining my economy and infrastructure, to waste citizens on unproductive jobs. (I'll usually lock people out of my Smuggler's Docks, Drydock, and Inquisition, etc., bulldoze all my clinics, catholic mansions, groceries, etc)

Then again, I suppose late-game, my game focus again shifts to dealing with tons of illiterate people and all the profitable jobs becoming educated ones. Still though, I usually pipe all my illiterate people into a new tourism industry or into entertainment buildings.

• Options

I've tried persecution, but the religious faction was still my largest IIRC (or at least was still quite large) PLUS they hated me and kept generating rebels, so :bigfrown:

Oh well, at least the Inquisition has an upgrade that lets it make money the more religious buildings you have, so that's... well, at least it offsets the expenditure on missions and churches and cathedrals a bit.