As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Blade Symphony] Retail is LIVE!

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
edited May 2014 in Games and Technology

maxresdefault.jpg

What is Blade Symphony? Blade Symphony is a sword dueling game inspired by Jedi Outcast's wildly popular dueling mode. Currently live, the game can be purchased on steam for 15 dollars.

The game has a couple swords per sword types, such as a katana that is a cardboard tube Penny-Arcade style, and user made masks/sword models.

characterselect.png

The Fighters have different perks, such as distance closing, enhanced defenses, what can be described as break dance sword fighting, and a lady fighter that is deceptively strong and graceful.

The swords: Katana, Jihan, Scimitar, Foil, and Longswords have unique perks. Some can turn you sideways when parrying: Some can wind up special attacks faster and can hit multiple times some have unique Defense shattering moves, Some have a special parrying move.

There are also 3 fighting stances, and an air combat move and every character has their own style of fighting in each stance.

character_phalanx1.pngcharacter_judgement1.pngcharacter_ryoku1.pngcharacter_pure1.png

There is even a ladder system that keeps track of your matches. Winning will earn you points to unlock new blades and skins. From oak to master, take on your opponents and rank up and play against players with the same rank.

URL here: blade-symphony.com/

oHw5R0V.jpg
Roe on

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I really think a lot of people will like this game if they tried it.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    This looks neat. How do you control the bladework? Does it plays more like Chivalry or a 3D fighting game?

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I just want a proper Bushido Blade sequel. :(

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    yeah I'd like to know more about how it controls. It kinda reminds me of dark souls pvp just from the trailer, can anyone comment?

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    Bushido Blade 20XX?!

• Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    Its a combo/directional swing system, so similar to chivalry and even mount and blade. Its obviously a much more fast paced game though, and the team took a lot of inspiration from different games. Its actually quite a lot of fun because of the fact that the fighting styles can be mixed up allowing you to sort of figure out your own particular martial form. I'm a big fan of breakdancing psycho monkey (i actually shout that before I attack), which actually has worked for me about 50% of the time. Otherwise, I try to gauge my opponent before diving into a combo. Hope that helps :D

fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Hows the online population? Is it easy to find fights, are people organizing at all at this point?

Also, what if any single player stuff is there? Like bots or practice missions

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Sounds cool. How many characters do they plan to ship the game with? Fighting games need a respectable roster.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    4 I believe, there is a female character they are adding soon. The roster is basically the sword styles combined with different swords, this isn't a traditional fighting game.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Well, I'm sold. I'll give it a look in a week when my new hardware arrives. Hopefully people are still bad at this game by then so I can ladder on (mostly) even footing.

Grey Paladin on
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Fencer + rapier = poop
    Fencer + scimitar = lol multi hit for half your hp

Game is fun guys. You should play it.

• Options
    apparently there were invites that people who preordered could send out I think? If anyone still has one they don't need I wouldn't mind trying it out

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    apparently there were invites that people who preordered could send out I think? If anyone still has one they don't need I wouldn't mind trying it out

Not at my PC till tomorrow but add albino bunny on steam and if they've flicked me a guest pass you'll be first on the list.

• Options
    nevermind i just bought it instead

15 bucks is worth a gamble on a thing that looks this cool

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    nevermind i just bought it instead

15 bucks is worth a gamble on a thing that looks this cool
    Remember rappers can't multi hit and are therefore poop.

• Options
    judgments heavy attacks are insane

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    malkothmalkoth Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    im having fun with it so far, still not sure on the mechanics going on though. i always get owned by the monkey dude, although i like his style. tried him and phalanx, guess i should check out judgements move set next

*edit* and this just answered everything http://www.blade-symphony.com/guide/

malkoth on
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind." - Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    so far i like judgment the most

i don't see a lot of phalanx users and naruto is a pain in the ass with his light attacks

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    I just want a proper Bushido Blade sequel. :(

Have you heard of Clang? It's not really a Bushido Blade sequel, but it sounds interesting.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    That's some wii type stuff with the motion control. Although admittedly the razer hydra is far more accurate than the Wii controllers.

• Options
    so far i like judgment the most

i don't see a lot of phalanx users and naruto is a pain in the ass with his light attacks

Phalanx is man mode.

Just get that med string in with them against the wall and melt their health.

Ryouka or whatever the monkey is called seems to be played mostly by people who can't do anything other than spam light stance attacks so just learn the timings and side step. If you're using a katana don't block him because he can more or less keep you there forever.

• Options
    ryoku light attacks just seem too long and with a too big range

i get that the devs want to make him a cool 'breakdance' class but giving him a super long combo isn't the way to do it.

plus, aren't heavy attacks supposed to break through lighter ones? the amount of times i'll hit someone, nothing happens, and then they start their light attack chain on me is crazy

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Attacks such as medium vs light, also depends on the fighter I think. I've seen knights break through everything including other knights with medium attack.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Higher stance knocks the opponent off balance.

If you're attack wasn't going to connect it wont do anything and there's nothing stopping them stepping in and light stabbing your face if you treat it like a free combo.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    After playing for a couple days, Ive got everything down except playing Ryoku. Knight does a ton of damage, its also harder to master, if not a little Overpowered. Ive been getting most of my kills with knights, and bought a nice looking Katana.

The thing that throws me off a lot, is how precious a good ping is. If you have a ping in the 100s your attacks wont meet, and your dodging becomes sluggish.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    i've been getting a lot better at this. Currently rank 463, can beat most of the people i go up against. Ryoku is less of a pain to fight now. I still need to learn good uses for heavy attacks and how to grab better.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    There's a tournament going on right now, you can watching it over Twitch.tv

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Did someone say Jedi Outcast because my Anti-Saberist's Code senses are tingling.

I hope there are ways to sufficiently troll all the "honorable" fighters that are bound to show up in this game.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Saber duels are great, @TOGSolid! If I could take a vibrosword with me in my Cutlass I would. Back to this game, though. It seems interesting, I'm just not sure if I want to commit yet.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    It's a neat game. I have fun when I play it.

If you want to troll fighters you pretty much just have to get super good. If you want you can spam throwing knives till the end of the round but that's pretty easy to bully and close range on.

• Options
    It's actually half off right now on Steam($7.49), for this week only.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013

If you want to troll fighters you pretty much just have to get super good. If you want you can spam throwing knives till the end of the round but that's pretty easy to bully and close range on.

I only asked just due to the bad history in JKO involving the Saberist's Code guys that ruined that game and JKA. It left me with a permanent sore spot for anyone trying to whine about people playing "honorably.". If it pops up in games I'm always sure to find a way to metaphorically poop in my opponent's Christmas stockings.

This is an archive page of the old ASC site that'll give you an idea of wtf happened to the JK community.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20031008021939/http://www.oculis.org/asc/about.html

Bad history aside hopefully this game is awesome and I get a chance to play it soon. I'm gonna be not home for the next six months. D:

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

I only asked just due to the bad history in JKO involving the Saberist's Code guys that ruined that game and JKA. It left me with a permanent sore spot for anyone trying to whine about people playing "honorably.". If it pops up in games I'm always sure to find a way to metaphorically poop in my opponent's Christmas stockings.

This is an archive page of the old ASC site that'll give you an idea of wtf happened to the JK community.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20031008021939/http://www.oculis.org/asc/about.html

Bad history aside hopefully this game is awesome and I get a chance to play it soon. I'm gonna be not home for the next six months. D:

I do the same thing in Mount and Blade: Warband. Dudes will put away their shield and raise their swords at each other and that means they want to duel and everybody else is expected to back off and let them fight. I use it as an opportunity to put and arrow/throwing axe into someone's face, whether they're dueling me or someone else. If I wanted to duel/watch someone duel I'd play on a dueling server.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Ugh, yeah, that's the exact sort of crap the SC guys would try to enforce in public servers. People who do that crap and then expect everyone else to abide by their rules can go throw themselves into a woodchipper.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    malkothmalkoth Registered User regular
    Most of the modes are 1v1 luckily, although I think there is a kind of FFA mode where you can also initiate a duel with someone and it will make you both immune to outside damage.

"Be who you are, and say what you feel because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind." - Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    There's only two modes last I played:

1) Dueling arenas: 3 arenas, winner stays on

2) FFA: challenge someone to duels, can go crazy on people not in duels if you want but it doesn't actually get you any points.

Basically the whole thing is purely 1v1 and works best as a 1v1.

• Options
    I'm getting really good at using phlanx with my scimitar. I've also learned how to be proficient at Ryoku.

Also, I was wrong about before. You can break through any defence with strong stance.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Picked up the game through the Humble Bundle store because I was curious when reading this thread before, but rather disappointed that there doesn't seem to be a true Practice mode where I can dick around and get a feel for everything before facing off against live opponents. :(

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Picked up the game through the Humble Bundle store because I was curious when reading this thread before, but rather disappointed that there doesn't seem to be a true Practice mode where I can dick around and get a feel for everything before facing off against live opponents. :(

FFA is made for this very reason. Try going to School of war FFA and duel a player you might learn from who is as skilled as you are. Also, if you find yourself on a good duel server, there should be players who are starting out like you. Search for players that have a 5000 ranking or higher.

If you come across a high level trying to take you on after you duel and win against a ~5000 rated player, press tab before you complete the second win and click the view button, it will bring you back into the queue so you can play selectively.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg