As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why the hell don't we have a [Mad Men] thread? (past season SPOILERS)

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    Great to see Don and Peggy happy together again, kind of a companion piece to "The Suitcase" in Season 4 (my favorite episode). What if... what if they became romantically involved by the end? Am I mad to think it?

Well, that is the sort of thing that would effectively end the series, if it happened. Personally, I'd most likely feel disappointed if when the show drew to a close, that was what Mad Men decided to finalize on.

Somehow, I expect death. Maybe figurative death, but death. This is a show that ends when things are over, not emphasizing happy new beginnings.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Mid-Season finale.
    So much happened. RIP Bert. Fuck you Cutler. Fuck you Joan. Seriously, she's a partner because of Don and he opposed her getting pimped out, now it's reveleaed the reason for her ultimate bitchniness towards him was because of money. Look at how her face lit up when she heard she'd get a million dollars.

Roger being back on top is awesome, and I dearly hope that was the last we've seen of Megan. Her storyline is done, her and Don are over. I liked that we ended on the fantastic dance number with Cooper's ghost, he'd been almost a complete asshole ever since Season 4 so everything from "Don, my boy" on made me smile. Still too bad that he never had any awesome "Who cares?" or "Who's really signing it anyway?" moments after Season 3.

• Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    Looking forward to season eight next year

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Watching Joan and Pete almost jump up and down at the money figure was hilarious. "I've got 10%!"

I also liked how Pete accused Ted of being selfish right after that.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Pete is just so ... Pete. he can't ever turn it down even one little notch.

That episode did a great job of clearing the table for the final run. I loved how Harry managed to screw himself *again* by being right about the larger industry and making the wrong moves personally. I honestly don't know how he's going to handle losing $1m or whatever. It's going to be bad.

I loved how Sterling finally just sighed and stood up to do something awesome. He was gonna let it go and let it go, but Cutler (who was mostly doing the right things, imo) went too far and didn't pay Bert Cooper enough respect.

I hate fantasy sequences. And I'm pretty sure these writers do them just because they know how much fans like me hate them.

Inkstain82 on
  • Options
    Harry's always in the right place at the wrong time

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    RIP, Cooper

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    "She was born in 1898 in a barn. She died on the 37th floor of a skyscraper. She was an astronaut."

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Mid-Season finale.
    So much happened. RIP Bert. Fuck you Cutler. Fuck you Joan. Seriously, she's a partner because of Don and he opposed her getting pimped out, now it's reveleaed the reason for her ultimate bitchniness towards him was because of money. Look at how her face lit up when she heard she'd get a million dollars.

Roger being back on top is awesome, and I dearly hope that was the last we've seen of Megan. Her storyline is done, her and Don are over. I liked that we ended on the fantastic dance number with Cooper's ghost, he'd been almost a complete asshole ever since Season 4 so everything from "Don, my boy" on made me smile. Still too bad that he never had any awesome "Who cares?" or "Who's really signing it anyway?" moments after Season 3.
    You really can't fault Joan, or Pete for that matter, for going crazy over that much money. An online inflation calculator is telling me that $1 million 1960 dollars is $8 million 2014 dollars. Joan lives in a crappy two bedroom apartment with her mother...

For someone struggling to make her way through the world, having money for life snatched away is an understandable grievance to hold onto. Their current deal would be $12 million for her and $24 million for Pete. Anyone disparaging how they jumped at the chance for that cash is just looking for something to criticize. Hell, Roger and Bert did the same thing when that British agency made a great offer a few seasons back.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Mid-Season finale.

You really can't fault Joan, or Pete for that matter, for going crazy over that much money. An online inflation calculator is telling me that $1 million 1960 dollars is $8 million 2014 dollars. Joan lives in a crappy two bedroom apartment with her mother...

For someone struggling to make her way through the world, having money for life snatched away is an understandable grievance to hold onto. Their current deal would be $12 million for her and $24 million for Pete. Anyone disparaging how they jumped at the chance for that cash is just looking for something to criticize. Hell, Roger and Bert did the same thing when that British agency made a great offer a few seasons back.

In todays dollars its more than inflation. I have seen people take much, much larger cuts in much much smaller companies than that. Either way its a stupid amount. I always thought the firm was pretty big, and a big deal, but they have been downplaying it the last season it seems, probably for this lead in.
    I hated the final scene too. I thought 'oh there going to go with a "don has a brain tumor" angle' for a moment. and then I thought that was the series finale, and went, 'wow I just got fucking trolled'. Then I saw its a split season, and now that moment only fucking makes sense if you are watching the show in real time and have to wait. Which I hate even more.

To be honest, I get pete's response to everything, it was completely in character, if a little harsh since his recent changes.
    But to be fair he recently got super pissed off with the event at the start of the episode. He was just done with ted and was not going to put on airs.

I wonder if the last half of the season will be
    a time skip. maybe the 5 year jump? Peggy could be shown with trying to get into her kids wife, and I have no idea where we see don.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Mid-Season finale.

In todays dollars its more than inflation. I have seen people take much, much larger cuts in much much smaller companies than that. Either way its a stupid amount. I always thought the firm was pretty big, and a big deal, but they have been downplaying it the last season it seems, probably for this lead in.
    I hated the final scene too. I thought 'oh there going to go with a "don has a brain tumor" angle' for a moment. and then I thought that was the series finale, and went, 'wow I just got fucking trolled'. Then I saw its a split season, and now that moment only fucking makes sense if you are watching the show in real time and have to wait. Which I hate even more.
    i thought it was just a contextual clue that don is going to have to realize the money really doesn't matter (or already knows it subconsciously) as well as a nod to Robert morse's roots in musicals

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Mid-Season finale.

No no no, I wasn't criticizing her reaction to the money, just equating it with how the only reason she hates Don is because he indirectly prevented her from making more. It's petty and superficial, he's only ever supported her.

Bubby on
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Mid-Season finale.

No no no, I wasn't criticizing her reaction to the money, just equating it with how the only reason she hates Don is because he indirectly prevented her from making more. It's petty and superficial, he's only ever supported her.

I would be upset with even my closest, most supportive friends if they cost me $8 million dollars. I suppose it is superficial but I think to call it petty you'd have to be speaking from some position of extreme wealth where such matters are a trifle to either of us. If Joan and Don were both billionaires and he cost her a few million, sure, water under the bridge.

Plus it's not like Don's stopped to talk it out with her, to apologize, etc. I was a little surprised at the start of this season when both Peggy and Joan were openly hostile to Don, but it made sense in hindsight and Peggy turned around once Don opened up to her like I expected. He never made that overture with Joan.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    The shot of Sally smoking her cigarette exactly like Betty was creepy.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Last night was pretty good and I'm angry at 2015 for not being here already.

I didn't know this was the midseason finale. I'd have guessed I'd watched, like, 3-4 eps this season.

I do love where they've landed, though. Don definitely is a different man right now. It would fill me with optimism if not for the fact that this is Mad Men and it probably means he's going to die or be ruined or something in the end.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    I don't know how different Don is yet. I mean he's changing, but I think he's got a little to go. When he was 'convincing' Ted to sign up, I think he was projecting the underlying insecurities he's still dealing with, telling Ted that there's nothing beyond the world and identity he knows. Since status quo is back, I think season eight will need something else to focus on. Is it just going to end with Don in the same position but with less philandering?

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Kiernan Shipka's ability to imitate January Jones has officially progressed from "impressive" to "creepy"

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Remember one of the main reasons Joan is pissed at don is
    he dropped jaguar because he just didn't feel like dealing with the exec, and this really upset Joan because of what she had to do to get the account in the first place. I recall her being like "YOU couldn't deal with him? What about me??" Etc

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    he dropped jaguar because he just didn't feel like dealing with the exec, and this really upset Joan because of what she had to do to get the account in the first place. I recall her being like "YOU couldn't deal with him? What about me??" Etc

Series finale, Don apologizes to Joan then they have sex. Fanbase erupts.

• Options
    Don is definitely in a different place now. He's not 100% reformed, but he's on the way, and I think a lot of the scenes in this episode were meant to establish that.
    The scene with the secretary was played for laughs, but it also shows how Don doesn't want to abuse his power to get his rocks off anymore. His graceful breakup with Megan established maturity and self-awareness. He let Peggy have the glory of landing Burger Chef rather than hogging the spotlight.

I think Don understands where he is, and has a strong sense of where he wants to be. He's not there yet, but he's working toward it in a way we haven't really seen before. And I think the show will wind up in a place where Don has a legitimate chance of honest redemption for much of what he's done in the past.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

That account was toxic anyway, and the partners who pushed for Joan to do that should've realized it.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    So did Don hallucinate in the end sequence?
    It was interesting because as far as I can recall (and I could really just not be remembering everything) the absurd fantasy symbolism in the series has always been situated in the context of the characters perceptions, like when they're in an altered state (drugs, dreaming) or imagining something. Don says 'Bert?' (or something like that) then after he witnesses the dance, he looks confused and sits there puzzled. Those actions seem to be occurring within Don's reality. If Mad Men has consistently used absurd symbolism within context, why would this just be something that doesn't have anything to do with the reality of the character, instead being just a way to say something outside of that context and functioning solely for the viewer. I guess I'd wonder why do this now if not done at any other time so far. Is this event meaningful in terms of Don's reality? Was Ginsberg right?

As to Don and redemption, I guess I can see a redemptive arc being the culmination. There does seem to be a 'weathering the storm' perspective on existential crises throughout the series. Pete went through it last year and came out as slightly less offensive Pete, more at rest with who he is. I'm curious as to where the intensified drama will be in the last part of the series though, if it's relatively smooth sailing for Don from here on out. Everybody seems to be in a pretty good place right now.

Lucid on
  • Options
    Lucid wrote: »
    It was interesting because as far as I can recall (and I could really just not be remembering everything) the absurd fantasy symbolism in the series has always been situated in the context of the characters perceptions, like when they're in an altered state (drugs, dreaming) or imagining something. Don says 'Bert?' (or something like that) then after he witnesses the dance, he looks confused and sits there puzzled. Those actions seem to be occurring within Don's reality. If Mad Men has consistently used absurd symbolism within context, why would this just be something that doesn't have anything to do with the reality of the character, instead being just a way to say something outside of that context and functioning solely for the viewer. I guess I'd wonder why do this now if not done at any other time so far. Is this event meaningful in terms of Don's reality? Was Ginsberg right?

As to Don and redemption, I guess I can see a redemptive arc being the culmination. There does seem to be a 'weathering the storm' perspective on existential crises throughout the series. Pete went through it last year and came out as slightly less offensive Pete, more at rest with who he is. I'm curious as to where the intensified drama will be in the last part of the series though, if it's relatively smooth sailing for Don from here on out. Everybody seems to be in a pretty good place right now.

A ending where the computer installation caused a gas leak that drove everyone crazy and imagine
    broadway zombies and the homosexual agenda with venting through self mutilation and ginsberg being right
    would just be the best ending.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    My biggest concern is that you would generally have everything go to shit immediately before a resolution in which everything is fixed.

So if the midseason finale instead has everything pretty much fixed...

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Lucid wrote: »

A ending where the computer installation caused a gas leak that drove everyone crazy and imagine
    broadway zombies and the homosexual agenda with venting through self mutilation and ginsberg being right
    would just be the best ending.

The whole show was a VR simulation

end credits

SPONSORED BY: OCULUS RIFT

the ultimate advertisment

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    My biggest concern is that you would generally have everything go to shit immediately before a resolution in which everything is fixed.

So if the midseason finale instead has everything pretty much fixed...

Yeah overall Don seems in a pretty good place now.

Which does not bode at all well for the next seven episodes.

But who knows!

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    To everyone wondering about the strange scene at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoJWzTasHE4

This is a young Robert Morse (Cooper)

Who starred in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
    so it may have just been a grand send off to the actor. perhaps he is retiring?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    so it may have just been a grand send off to the actor. perhaps he is retiring?
    From what I read in an interview, Weiner specifically wanted to use Morse's talents for singing and dancing at some point. This was the only place he felt he could appropriately do it.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    Hey, Bob, we got some good news and some bad news. The good news is that we finally found a way to show off your singing and dancing!

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

That account was toxic anyway, and the partners who pushed for Joan to do that should've realized it.
    When your answer to a problem requires a time machine it isn't a very good answer. Yes, they should not have pursued the account and the fact that they had to get it in that way just makes it all the more obvious. But, well, you can't unring a bell. Blowing up the account isn't just bad from a forward looking basis of all the money you lost, it also retroactively further devalues the cost that you imposed on Joan. Because you are apparently willing to act cavalierly towards an account that took so much from her personally. If you recall what she said to Don before the leave of absence, "Just once I would like to hear you use the word we. Because we're all rooting for you from the sidelines, hoping that you'll decide whatever you think is right for our lives."

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    moniker wrote: »

When your answer to a problem requires a time machine it isn't a very good answer. Yes, they should not have pursued the account and the fact that they had to get it in that way just makes it all the more obvious. But, well, you can't unring a bell. Blowing up the account isn't just bad from a forward looking basis of all the money you lost, it also retroactively further devalues the cost that you imposed on Joan. Because you are apparently willing to act cavalierly towards an account that took so much from her personally. If you recall what she said to Don before the leave of absence, "Just once I would like to hear you use the word we. Because we're all rooting for you from the sidelines, hoping that you'll decide whatever you think is right for our lives."

It really didn't seem like an account they were going to ever get paid for. For all they knew that guy was simply going to string it along for free dinners, then drop them when it came to the actual pitch "it's not national enough".

Don dropping it for the reasons he did may have been wrong, but he was right to think they should - toxic is toxic - an account in which they have to listen to one execs personal control of the story, which leads to the agencies work appearing mediocre, is bad for the business as a whole. Not to mention the ticking clock on how long before he'd make sleeping with Joan again yet another dealbreaker for whether they keep them on.

Joan also didn't get nothing out of the deal - she got a bunch of money and an ongoing partnership out of it. Those things are worth a heck of a lot more then any 1 account which was more then likely going to be a net loss for the agency.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    I am betting on
    a time jump to the... 90's? to see how the characters live with regret for their choices.

Joan sleeps on a pile of money and has tons of work done on her and is still chasing men/being chased.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

It really didn't seem like an account they were going to ever get paid for. For all they knew that guy was simply going to string it along for free dinners, then drop them when it came to the actual pitch "it's not national enough".

Don dropping it for the reasons he did may have been wrong, but he was right to think they should - toxic is toxic - an account in which they have to listen to one execs personal control of the story, which leads to the agencies work appearing mediocre, is bad for the business as a whole. Not to mention the ticking clock on how long before he'd make sleeping with Joan again yet another dealbreaker for whether they keep them on.

Joan also didn't get nothing out of the deal - she got a bunch of money and an ongoing partnership out of it. Those things are worth a heck of a lot more then any 1 account which was more then likely going to be a net loss for the agency.
    Yeah, that's what makes it prostitution instead of just her having sex. She considers her already bruised dignity among the leaders of the firm to be worth a heck of a lot more than Don having difficulty dealing with the guy. And rightly so. The fact that he later immolated himself and nearly the whole firm as well doesn't exactly help matters either.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Netflixing show, started Season 5.

I really like the agency stuff, the Don stuff is interesting when it's just him and his past, but January Jones is terrible (I liked Season 4 a lot because she wasn't really in it), and Sally is terrible (who seems to get more screentime each year).

I mentioned this in another thread but Jones ruins this scene from season 3, just sucks all the fun out of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXnoPasZdkA

What makes it even worse is everyone else is really good at their roles which only highlights these two hella weak links. Like really yo, Betts stays but Sal is gone? Travesty!

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Sal might be back. There's been...a number of people that seemed to disappear, only to return much later with...unfortunate hairstyle choices.

• Options
    Sally is terrible????

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Sally's character, and her prominence in middle seasons, could be fine, but the actress is terrible.

A general rule is that kids are bad actors anyways, but on a long running TV show the real reason becomes more clear. Most shows skip around this by making them background noise (Everybody Loves Raymond, for instance, or Dexter). Sometimes they do an episode or two focused on a kid but never full on subplots. Glenn is actually good example from the show, because we're introduced to him in a different manner, he has silence and pity/creepy built into him and his character, and he works for 30 seconds a show every five episodes.

Sally, however, is a good example of how a kid can ruin scenes. In the first seasons she was too young to really know what she was doing. She was on set playing around and being a ballerina, saying what they want her to say. And that's fine. Seasons 3, 4, 5? She's now old enough to realize she's on a big time show, and is now having a subplot dedicated to her, so, in that weird way egos work in hollywood where everyone around her will tell her she's great when she's not, she's hamming it up even more, doing that childish thing of deluding herself into thinking she's going to win an award for every episode she does or every scene she's in is super poignant (anyone who remembers later seasons of Full House will recognize this). And it just gets bad. That episode where she is yelling at Don in the SCDP offices and runs away until Megan helps her up, blech. I could see what they wanted to do but the actress ruins it.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Most critics seem to think that Sally's actress is actually really good. I happen to agree with them--look at the way she's mimicking January Jones in recent episodes, for instance. I think she's got good presence, and enough talent to keep up with Jon Hamm, which is no small feat.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    She's got a knack.

Also she gets better as she gets older. I do see the ego thing a little bit in the earlier seasons but she's pretty good now.

• Options
    I'm only midway through Season 5. I just got to the episode with Joan and Jaguar.

I get a sense it's not so much she's good but that she's around everyone else who's good/great so no one wants to say she's bad, especially a kid. Especially on top of January Jones being so vapid that she's not on screen so much anymore (unless season 6 and beyond brings her back). Just because a tennis player can hang with Federer or Nadal but still lose doesn't mean they're on the same level, feel me fam?

I just don't understand how or why so much is devoted to her in the series. Ad executive kids are on the fifth rung of who I give a crap about, below mistresses and actual wives and the copywriters.