As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassins Ball at PAX Prime 2013! Meetup Schedule is up! [136]

• Options
    kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    dm_magic wrote: »
    What kind of stuff will the Twitter accounts be used for?

As far as I know, this is the first year that faction leaders are being implemented, so I think the usage of each Twitter account will vary. Personally, I'll be using it to tweet out sightings of any enemy faction players, arrange exchanges of second lives, and act as a means for factions members to help each other find targets. Players can also direct game-related questions to me, and I'll do my best to answer them. Anything that I'm unsure about will be redirected to MarsChelios. Hopefully this will help to lessen his work load a bit. :)

@edgeofblade: We should, but how ever shall I find you? ;P

kemikal on
    Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • Options
    edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    We community faction leaders can tweet locations of camping assassins, for example. Or we can put a hit out on faction players who assassinate within their own faction. In addition, we can offer up extra lives for faction members that contribute to the faction in some way. In the Ponies, for example, a player that recruits another player into the game may get an extra life as a referral bonus. (Leaders might be carrying extra kits.) It's up to the individual leaders on how they play it, as an information dealer, as faction bosses keeping the troops in line, or as a recruiting powerhouse building an army.

Keep in mind that faction leaders are players themselves. They are susceptible to being assassinated or assassinating others. Of course, bosses have lots of lives, but depleting the lives of a faction leader will keep them from being handed out to their faction.

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
  • Options
    I will be carrying a black walking stick with a joystick adorning the top. I'm hard to miss. :-)

6YJGH2V.png
  • Options
    KayhynnKayhynn Registered User regular
    Kayhynn wrote: »
    At least myself and one other will be doing Kingsport Raiders - ordering badges tonight. If you still need a community leader for Kingsport Raiders, I'll volunteer.
    Awesome! Thanks for volunteering but someone just beat you to it!

No worries. Glad someone signed up just before me. Otherwise I might have to mercilessly tease other raiders about not honoring the old gods enough to be a leader :P

• Options
    zeromystzeromyst wat Registered User regular
    Can't believe I almost let this pass me!

How did I miss the Kickstarter? poop

Ah well it doesn't matter. Just ordered my kit!

CRANK UP THE C. CRANK UP THE D.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    If a faction leader is assassinated, do they have to use an extra life to retain faction leader status? Last year, if you were assassinated, you could still play the game by gathering intel. Can/should you pass on faction leader status if you are "dead"? If you take out a faction leader and they are out of extra lives, do you win the game? :P

kemikal on
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    kemikal wrote: »
    If a faction leader is assassinated, do they have to use an extra life to retain faction leader status? Last year, if you were assassinated, you could still play the game by gathering intel. Can/should you pass on faction leader status if you are "dead"? If you take out a faction leader and they are out of extra lives, do you win the game? :P

I'm interpreting that as no. I mean, faction leaders are really just an organizational status. We are assassins players all the same. We just have additional lives to dispense and kits to give out, as well as the community leadership connecting through their Twitter. Also, keep in mind that extra lives can only be activated once a day, so any player can be back in the game the next day, including leaders. So, ideally you can be killed twice on Friday and once each on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.

The game is "won" first by whomever had the most fun meeting new people, and second by whomever has the most points from registering kills. :-)

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
  • Options
    zoramzoram Registered User regular
    So I might do this but I can't help but feel it might not be fun if there are no boundaries for the game or any rules for when NOT to go after people.
    @MarsChelios

For example I might be cosplaying, and if I do It would be lame to get assassinated while someone was getting a photo with me. Likewise anytime going to the bathroom, or any restaurant during a meal it would be rude in my opinion to bother anyone in such circumstances, let alone assassinate them in the game. Just some thoughts. Because I really think this would be a good spontaneous game for waiting in lines or otherwise walking about the convention and city.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Hey no worries. There are rules about not being rude or going after people in the bathroom or panels. And the game is on hold outside the convention center.

Check out the rules at http://phenixone.com/resources/games/AssassinsBall2/AssassinsBall_Rules_PRIME_2013.pdf and pay special attention to the last page where it enumerates the safe zones.

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
  • Options
    thanks for clearing that up. I read the OP twice and the whole thread and somehow failed to see that. Now I can really look into doing this.

• Options
    helen0rzhelen0rz Registered User regular
    zoram wrote: »
    thanks for clearing that up. I read the OP twice and the whole thread and somehow failed to see that. Now I can really look into doing this.

My only concern at this point is to remember to look for people lol

48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • Options
    helen0rz wrote: »
    zoram wrote: »

My only concern at this point is to remember to look for people lol
    honestly, I feel like if I do finish my costumes I'll be easy bait. XD

• Options
    acydlordacydlord Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    Set up the twitters for the Raiders as well, will probably use it for extra lives and intel.

paxsignature.png

• Options
    MarsCheliosMarsChelios Registered User regular
    zeromyst wrote: »
    Can't believe I almost let this pass me!
    How did I miss the Kickstarter? poop
    Ah well it doesn't matter. Just ordered my kit!
    Thank @zeromyst!
    dm_magic wrote: »
    What kind of stuff will the Twitter accounts be used for?
    As far as I know, this is the first year that faction leaders are being implemented, so I think the usage of each Twitter account will vary. Personally, I'll be using it to tweet out sightings of any enemy faction players, arrange exchanges of second lives, and act as a means for factions members to help each other find targets. Players can also direct game-related questions to me, and I'll do my best to answer them. Anything that I'm unsure about will be redirected to MarsChelios. Hopefully this will help to lessen his work load a bit. :)
    We community faction leaders can tweet locations of camping assassins, for example. Or we can put a hit out on faction players who assassinate within their own faction. In addition, we can offer up extra lives for faction members that contribute to the faction in some way. In the Ponies, for example, a player that recruits another player into the game may get an extra life as a referral bonus. (Leaders might be carrying extra kits.) It's up to the individual leaders on how they play it, as an information dealer, as faction bosses keeping the troops in line, or as a recruiting powerhouse building an army.

Keep in mind that faction leaders are players themselves. They are susceptible to being assassinated or assassinating others. Of course, bosses have lots of lives, but depleting the lives of a faction leader will keep them from being handed out to their faction.

Thanks for answering this question @kemikal and @edgeofblade! Like kemikal says, this is the first time the community leader thing is being tried (Thanks to edgeofblade for the idea!) so there's no rules or guidelines. The intent is for the leaders to help out players in their faction as well as to recruit new players into the faction and keep players alive but can try other things as long as they fit within the rules.

I'm really interested in seeing how this plays out and what leaders do with their factions! I feel like the addition leaders could really change up the game
    and opens up a space for new things to be tried.

Kits are shipping!
    Started building kits this weekend with the first batch being shipped out last night! I plan to have all current orders shipped out by Thursday of this week. If you're on the East Coast you should get them within 2-3 days, everyone else should get them within 3-5 days.

• Options
    When is the deadline for kit orders? And will we be getting a count of how many members are (currently) in each faction?

• Options
    edited August 2013
    These are the created community Twitters to date.

Make sure you follow your leader. Interact with them. Meet them. Help us make the game awesome.

@KngsportCorsair
    @PAXRobotNinjas
    @VarsityDead
    @CowboyVerse
    @PAXPonyAssassin

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
  • Options
    When is the deadline for kit orders? And will we be getting a count of how many members are (currently) in each faction?
    Shipped ordering closes on the 18th, after that you'll have to pick up kits from me in person. Online ordering closes on the 23rd, after that you'll have to meet with me in person to get kits (The site will ask for contact info and I'll send you contact information).

• Options
    michaeldemossmichaeldemoss LouisianaRegistered User regular
    How did I not know about this? My wife and I will be signing up later today!

ba2znj3fyg5r.png
  • Options
    Littlebutton88Littlebutton88 Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    So excited to get my button and cards! Raiders Rule!

Littlebutton88 on
  • Options
    Sweet - just order kits for my wife and I. Can't wait!

Oh also, I noticed the faction page for the ponies is blank: http://www.phenixone.com/assassins/factions/sparkly_ponies

ba2znj3fyg5r.png
  • Options
    Sweet - just order kits for my wife and I. Can't wait!

Oh also, I noticed the faction page for the ponies is blank: http://www.phenixone.com/assassins/factions/sparkly_ponies

Information on the covert operations of the Ponies has been redacted for national security reasons...

6YJGH2V.png
  • Options

Information on the covert operations of the Ponies has been redacted for national security reasons...

Genius!

*secret sparkly pony wink*

ba2znj3fyg5r.png
  • Options
    For whatever reason, I don't think Google sent my entire address when I ordered. I emailed a correction using the order interface on Google. Let me know if there's any trouble.

ba2znj3fyg5r.png
  • Options
    ReighvinReighvin Registered User regular
    Question, I got my kit today (Go Ponies!) and am curious about how the extra life kits work. Since I give up my Assassination Card when I'm killed, and all that is in the kits are Death Code Stickers, how does this all work? Do I just give them the sticker? Also, it looks like the everything on the website is still set up for PAX East, or am I missing something there?

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Reighvin wrote: »
    Question, I got my kit today (Go Ponies!) and am curious about how the extra life kits work. Since I give up my Assassination Card when I'm killed, and all that is in the kits are Death Code Stickers, how does this all work? Do I just give them the sticker? Also, it looks like the everything on the website is still set up for PAX East, or am I missing something there?

EDIT: I misread. You're sitting in front of a complete kit. Let me leave this to @MarsChelios to explain.

Original response.
    First, you register your kit on the website when you get the kit in the mail (or pick it up from @MarsChelios at PAX).

Then, if someone finds that your button matches their Mission, they can assassinate you and take 1) your current Mission card and 2) your current Assassination card. Those first cards are bound to your initial kit. You are now out and need to flip your button upside-down. (Your assassin keeps their completed Mission card and your surrendered Assassination card together to register the kill for points later, and they start searching for the target you were searching for using your surrendered Mission card.)

Once a day, if you have a Second Life kit, you can break it open after you're assassinated. It has 1) a new Mission card, 2) a new Assassination card, and 3) a ReLife card. Enter the code from the ReLife card on the website to activate the codes on the new Mission and Assassination cards, and pick up where you left off with a new mission.

Second Lives are relatively new. Be sure to activate the Second Life on the website before you introduce the new Mission and Assassination cards into the game. In the past, people could just play without caring about the website scoring, but for proper scoring validation, I think the kits need to be activated pretty consistently. @MarsChelios can probably elaborate on the technical functions if I missed something.

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
  • Options
    1. Phenix website only shows PAX East for registration. Do I register as PAX East, or am I waiting for an update?

2. The Second Life kits only contain 1) New mission card, 2) Relife Care, 3) Small Death Code Sticker. There is no new Assassination card. And since I give my Assassination card when I am killed for the first time, I would have no assassination card to give the second time I am killed.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Glad you got your kit! The Second Life packs have a new Assassination Card to replace the one you gave up and a new Mission Card for you to use. In addition to that, there is a code that is on another card in the kit or on the front of the smaller Second Life envelope that you use to register your Second Life (This needs to be done before playing with that Second Life). If something I mentioned is not in your Second Life pack(s) let me know and I can replace it for you.
    1. Phenix website only shows PAX East for registration. Do I register as PAX East, or am I waiting for an update?
    2. The Second Life kits only contain 1) New mission card, 2) Relife Care, 3) Small Death Code Sticker. There is no new Assassination card. And since I give my Assassination card when I am killed for the first time, I would have no assassination card to give the second time I am killed.
    1. I'll update the site tonight for that. You'll be able to register your Kit soon.
    2. Sounds like you only got the sticker which is not how it's supposed to be. I can provide you with a card to stick that on at the show.

MarsChelios on
  • Options
    1. I'll update the site tonight for that. You'll be able to register your Kit soon.
    2. Sounds like you only got the sticker which is not how it's supposed to be. I can provide you with a card to stick that on at the show.

That clears everything up, thank you. I have two second lives and neither one of them have the cards in them. Not sure if I was just real unlucky or if there was an issue. Any idea on how I might be able to find you at PAX when the time comes?

• Options
    Death code stickers? Sounds interesting, I can't wait to get my kit and check out all the game changes for myself. :)

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Got mine today :)

This is so cool~ it has the sticker of my Raiders clan on the envelope! Going to familiarize myself with the stuff now! but quick question @MarsChelios, per the rule I must wear my button on the left side of my chest, is it possible to wear it on my bag strap? I'm a chick, so this means my bag (it's like a tiny messenger bag, more like a satchel?) i'll be wearing it at all times and side ways, so it might get in the way of the button. Also, do you have to have a WordPress account to register your kit?

helen0rz on
    48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • Options
    Death code stickers? Sounds interesting, I can't wait to get my kit and check out all the game changes for myself. :)

yeah it appears to be the stickers on the assassination card. with the second life envelope, instead of a separate assassination card, it's just a code sticker.

48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • Options
    Just got home to find that my kit arrived in the mail too! Looks like they don't ship too well in the mail, as the cards were all out of place for me. But I'm really liking the new player button and the second life cards! I'm assuming that faction leader kits will be going out at a later date?
    That clears everything up, thank you. I have two second lives and neither one of them have the cards in them. Not sure if I was just real unlucky or if there was an issue. Any idea on how I might be able to find you at PAX when the time comes?

Reighvin, looking at the what's included in the base kit and what's in the second life kits, I don't believe you need an "assassination card". The assassination card seems to mainly be there as a way to hand off your death code. I'd imagine that if you are on a second life, you could just stick this sticker onto the second life card and hand that off (or even just give the sticker to your assassin).

• Options
    That's what I thought too; I was going to stick the sticker on the back of the card and hand it to whoever that kills me :/

48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • Options
    Never thought about just sticking the death sticker to my relife card and using that as Assassin Card. That seems like it would work pretty well too. If nobody has issues with it, I will proabably do that as well.

• Options
    I'm having fun putting together Passbook items today. I just threw together a quick reference guide for the game in Passbook. iOS users can click this link to add the guide to their Passbook directly.

Remember to click the "i" to see the text of the guide.

https://api.passdock.com/passes/1409990/77264ee06726377b57f5e21b8f683743513589ec.pkpass

6YJGH2V.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Edit: Never mind I figured it out

helen0rz on
    48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Any idea on how I might be able to find you at PAX when the time comes?
    I'll be sending an email out and posting on the Kickstarter soon about where I'll be for meetups each day and how to contact me by phone.
    Just got home to find that my kit arrived in the mail too! Looks like they don't ship too well in the mail, as the cards were all out of place for me. But I'm really liking the new player button and the second life cards! I'm assuming that faction leader kits will be going out at a later date?
    Glad you got it, hopefully shipping didn't make it too messy! Yeah, community faction leader packs will be shipped out later this week.

Reighvin, looking at the what's included in the base kit and what's in the second life kits, I don't believe you need an "assassination card". The assassination card seems to mainly be there as a way to hand off your death code. I'd imagine that if you are on a second life, you could just stick this sticker onto the second life card and hand that off (or even just give the sticker to your assassin).
    What I think happened was that for East the person I had helping me wasn't clear on how to build the Second Life kits and just put the sticker in the kit instead of attaching it to an Assassination Card. The code will work fine so if you want to attach it to the Second Life card that's not a problem and I'll also be available to give you an Assassination Card to attach it to. This should not affect newer kits that do not contain the Second Life card and instead have the label appear on the outside of the envelope.

MarsChelios on
  • Options
    I'll just stick it on my second life card then. That'll be easier for the both of us

48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • Options
    draco24draco24 Registered User regular
    Any chance Robot Ninjas are going to get a twitter or something?

• Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
This discussion has been closed.