As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dr. Squatlove, or How I Learned to Stop Wasting Away and Love [Strength Training]

19495969798100»

• Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    Octagonal plates are the worst.

• Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Would you say that you eight them?

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    New bench max of 265 today. Almost got 270. Drat.

Been doing a lot more dumbbell work with my chest. I think isolating the muscles has really helped up my strength. Definitely going to keep doing that.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Front squats, back squats and deadlifts Friday left my back feeling awesome yesterday.

Also, it's been a good thread, folks. And I never even made a proper intro with links and such like I said I would!

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    anyone have a good write up or can educate me on warm-up sets vs. working sets and how to go about them?

I'm reading up and it seems to vary wildly

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    It varies wildly because a lot of different things work for a lot of different people

I step up to my working weight one set of each, empty bar (8~) > half weight (8~) > 3/4 (5~)> working weight

Whatever if takes to get used to the bar on the back and get the muscle recruitment down

• Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    So I want to give high bar squats a try once my leg doesnt make me want to die every time I bend it a certain way. Having never done them, is there a significant difference I should be aware off vs low bar squats? Anyone have any decent tutorial/overview vids?

Also, in a month I've dropped 7 lbs and 2% body fat.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Made up lunches this week in prep of my cut. Each meal contains 5oz chicken, 4oz mixed veggies and 2oz of long grain brown rice. Each meal is roughly 475 calories. Will be eating this 3 times a day. Also throwing in two bananas for snacks. Through Thursday I'll also be having a small protein shake after the gym.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    @CangoFett -nice job, also: The high bar squat is usually considered a more intuitive movement than low bar - put the bar on your traps, shoulder width'ish stance, big breath, tight back, squat down with your butt between your heels. Hip and knees break at the same time, torso should be upright at the same angle throughout. Ankle mobility will most likely be the limiting facto in achieving depth, for which I encourage using this stretch. Post a vid when you have a go and we can advise from there. Best to get it right from the start.

@Nogs You probably can't find a detailed consensus because as Black Hunters says, there isn't one: The amount of work required to get warm, supple, mobile and mentally prepared to lift your working weight is highly variable between individuals.

Personally I do minimal warm-ups - one set of 5 at ~50% WW with pauses to get warm and settle into the right bottom position, then a few singles or doubles up to WW. So for squat triples at 160 I'd do 60kgx5, 100x2, 140x1, 150x1, 160x3x7. If you still feel that you need to work on form then there is value in doing a few more reps when working up, particularly if you aren't doing a lot of volume for your work sets (3x5 or 5x5 say).

Hey DL, are you going to make a new thread? I can't live without this place...

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Well no telling when I'll have time to check the forums today but it must be remade! Whoever gets the chance to.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    I need some perspective/opinions from some real people.

I train in my local gym that's only for local people and I'm the only person there who does any kind of the heavier weights. My main goal is weight loss, currently I weigh in at 127Kg and I think 114Kg is my goal (I'll see how I feel/look when I hit it, I'm 6ft 1 if it matters). But I'm trying to maintain my current strength.

As I don't train with or know anyone who goes to the gym in the same way I do (country living problems), I don't know if what I do is poor and could be increased/good to hold while loosing weight/To much while loosing weight(?)

So a broad overview of what I currently can do.

Bench 100Kg (3 sets of 8)
    Shoulders (between 30Kg-50Kg in each hand depending on interior/top/exterior) (3 sets of 10)
    Deadlift 120Kg (3 sets of 8)
    Bicep/Triceps 20-30kg (3 sets of 10)

I would add Squat values to the list but I don't know any more as the rack doesn't exist, but I'm maxing out the extension machines weight stack, leg/knee (119Kg) and Leg Press machine (178Kg) and can pretty much keep going till I get bored.

How am I looking from a numbers perspective? Are they at a good level to try and maintain with the weight loss? I know its probably going to be brought up and I would move to a new gym to be around others but the nearest one is 30 min drive and I can walk to this one in 2 min which just works for my spare time atm.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Alrighty, officially starting my cut. Just weighed in at 294. Going to weigh in every day and you all will get to watch me try to drop a significant amount of weight and bitch about it through the entire process.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    Prime wrote: »
    I need some perspective/opinions from some real people.

I train in my local gym that's only for local people and I'm the only person there who does any kind of the heavier weights. My main goal is weight loss, currently I weigh in at 127Kg and I think 114Kg is my goal (I'll see how I feel/look when I hit it, I'm 6ft 1 if it matters). But I'm trying to maintain my current strength.

As I don't train with or know anyone who goes to the gym in the same way I do (country living problems), I don't know if what I do is poor and could be increased/good to hold while loosing weight/To much while loosing weight(?)

So a broad overview of what I currently can do.

Bench 100Kg (3 sets of 8)
    Shoulders (between 30Kg-50Kg in each hand depending on interior/top/exterior) (3 sets of 10)
    Deadlift 120Kg (3 sets of 8)
    Bicep/Triceps 20-30kg (3 sets of 10)

I would add Squat values to the list but I don't know any more as the rack doesn't exist, but I'm maxing out the extension machines weight stack, leg/knee (119Kg) and Leg Press machine (178Kg) and can pretty much keep going till I get bored.

How am I looking from a numbers perspective? Are they at a good level to try and maintain with the weight loss? I know its probably going to be brought up and I would move to a new gym to be around others but the nearest one is 30 min drive and I can walk to this one in 2 min which just works for my spare time atm.

How often are you lifting? I'm assuming your main goal is fat loss not necessarily plain weight loss, correct? I have a hard time ever recommending cutting back in lifting for people trying to lose weight due to the positive hormone response from lifting. What are your deadlifts like? I'm assuming you are controlling the descent given the reps per set? Trying to figure out a good squat alternative is hard without the rack, especially with the amount of tissue a squat hits however there are some other variants like hack squats that could suffice. Personally I like barbell reverse lunges but that'll require you to clean the weight and then get it on your neck...not something I'd recommend for most. If you have heavy enough dumbbells you could always do them with those.

Just throwing things out from the top of my head.

Whats up, thread.

• Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Jyardana wrote: »

How often are you lifting? I'm assuming your main goal is fat loss not necessarily plain weight loss, correct? I have a hard time ever recommending cutting back in lifting for people trying to lose weight due to the positive hormone response from lifting. What are your deadlifts like? I'm assuming you are controlling the descent given the reps per set? Trying to figure out a good squat alternative is hard without the rack, especially with the amount of tissue a squat hits however there are some other variants like hack squats that could suffice. Personally I like barbell reverse lunges but that'll require you to clean the weight and then get it on your neck...not something I'd recommend for most. If you have heavy enough dumbbells you could always do them with those.

Just throwing things out from the top of my head.

Whats up, thread.

3 or 4 days a week. Sorry, yes fat loss not weight loss. What are my Deadlifts like? Good I feel, I mean the last half of the 3rd set very hard but I can push through them. If controlling the descent means slow, its pretty slow. I try and do around 4 sec rep with a quick lift and a slower down. This is all from odds and sods I've picked up over the years, if there is better I'm all ears.

An alternative to a squat would be welcome, the biggest dumbbell in the building is the 45Kg pair.

Prime on
This discussion has been closed.