As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV: ARR] Old Thread. Use the New Thread!

• Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    I find this amusing
    1097722_10200573402237218_133421782_o.jpg

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Jars wrote: »
    this is a stress test. it's not "play the game a week early!". if things are breaking then it's working because now these issues are getting fixed before the actual game release. would you rather there was no stress test? because then no one would be able to play this weekend, and then release would be filled with these issues.

Oh?

http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/download/en/FFXIV_2.0_BETA_Roadmap_EN.pdf
    This roadmap lists one of phase 3's goals as stress-testing the data centers. On the other hand phase 4's only "stress-testing" is related specifically to the housing system.

Maybe you'll say that roadmap is outdated. Fair enough.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/98692
    This thread on their beta forums once again only mentions stress-testing the housing system, and it was posted a few days ago.

Oh, but perhaps we have to read between the lines? How about this letter from the lead producer/designer to the community?
    http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=3d5fa59e659ca7bafb93b1b37474b6d6839860a5
    Although we've lowered the level cap for this phase, for all intents and purposes, you could say what you'll be playing is a trial version of the game. The test period will be short, but all save data will carry over to release, so have a good time and make every moment count!

Or what about his post detailing each beta phase?
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/6262
    Phase 4 will for all intents and purposes serve as a trial version, allowing players to freely explore and enjoy the game.

Are we done moving the goalposts and white knighting? Alright then.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Finally got into Sargatanas. Talen Stark looking for invite, please. :)

Also, are we expecting these characters to be wiped before actual game release?

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Finally got into Sargatanas. Talen Stark looking for invite, please. :)

Also, are we expecting these characters to be wiped before actual game release?

Shouldn't be a wipe unless some gamebreaking bug forces it (No the server issues wouldn't do it)

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Melee starting is a little less boring. I have no concept of the game at all though so all i am doing currently is killing all the things.

But disliking stand still skilling and such combat as it is, the absurd global CD is really really painful. It feels like mmo in slow motion in these early levels.

• Options
    draw4wilddraw4wild Registered User regular
    So I haven't been following this game at all since the servers went down last year. Is there anything I need to do before launch to get my legacy character onto Sargantas? Pretty sure we were on Masamune before the shutdown.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    draw4wild wrote: »
    So I haven't been following this game at all since the servers went down last year. Is there anything I need to do before launch to get my legacy character onto Sargantas? Pretty sure we were on Masamune before the shutdown.

Go back in time to when server transfer apps were available and apply for Sargantas.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    or wait will they reopen transfers in about 2-3 weeks after launch

edit: so done for the day unless they clear up 3102 anarchist is a lot of fun and i visited the housing area in LL. looking forward to EA!

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    Anyone heard anything about any rumors concerning a game breaking bug where people are exploiting to get max level in a couple hours?

Not sure if this is legit or just people playing scare tactics but I thought I would ask if anyone has heard anything similar.

• Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    aunsoph wrote: »
    this is a stress test. it's not "play the game a week early!". if things are breaking then it's working because now these issues are getting fixed before the actual game release. would you rather there was no stress test? because then no one would be able to play this weekend, and then release would be filled with these issues.

Oh?

This road map lists one of phase 3's goals as stress-testing the data centers. On the other hand phase 4's only "stress-testing" is related specifically to the housing system.

This thread on their beta forums once again only mentions stress-testing the housing system, and it was posted a few days ago.

Oh, but perhaps we have to read between the lines? How about this letter from the lead producer/designer to the community.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=3d5fa59e659ca7bafb93b1b37474b6d6839860a5
    Although we've lowered the level cap for this phase, for all intents and purposes, you could say what you'll be playing is a trial version of the game. The test period will be short, but all save data will carry over to release, so have a good time and make every moment count!

Phase 4 will for all intents and purposes serve as a trial version, allowing players to freely explore and enjoy the game.

Ok great points, you had expectations, got it. It sucks that this is happening, I totally sympathise. However, yes its still "a beta phase" and its super rare to not have problems at the Launch of any MMO. Lets hope they get it straightened out and it becomes a memory after a month or so like just about every other MMO launch.

• Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    So I thought I saw that thier was a mass item creation option? Whats it take to unlock that? I can't find it on any of my crafting classes.

Blood Drive on
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Nyht wrote: »
    Anyone heard anything about any rumors concerning a game breaking bug where people are exploiting to get max level in a couple hours?

Not sure if this is legit or just people playing scare tactics but I thought I would ask if anyone has heard anything similar.

First I've heard anything of the sort. I would imagine it's people screwing with others (or not understanding what legacy servers are :D ). Also on a legacy server there are people who are already max level from 1.0 so....meh.
    So I thought I saw that thier was a mass item creation option? Whats it take to unlock that? I can't find it on any of my crafting classes.

You gt access to it once you hit lvl 10 on a crafting class and do the quest. However it's really only good for mass producing low level ingredients as you don't get the benefits of high quality materials and you get half the EXP you would get for doing it yourself. So for leveling it's not very useful other than getting yourself a bunch of the lower level mats you might need for higher level crafts.

A convenience thing mostly :)

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    aunsoph wrote: »

Oh?

This road map lists one of phase 3's goals as stress-testing the data centers. On the other hand phase 4's only "stress-testing" is related specifically to the housing system.

Oh, but perhaps we have to read between the lines? How about this letter from the lead producer/designer to the community.

Ok great points, you had expectations, got it. It sucks that this is happening, I totally sympathise. However, yes its still "a beta phase" and its super rare to not have problems at the Launch of any MMO. Lets hope they get it straightened out and it becomes a memory after a month or so like just about every other MMO launch.

Right. Okay. SE messed up for their part in setting those expectations, and their inability to deliver on that is worthy of criticism. If the unexpected existence of server troubles and a game-breaking bug in a beta test is enough to make you never want to play again that's fine. More power to you. Everybody has every right to be frustrated and disappointed, but I am really flabbergasted at some people's inability to recognize that this is a beta test that they didn't pay for. I'll be complaining with you if all of this happens again when the game comes out, but until then I think people need to really calm down, and I don't think anybody recognizing that this is a free beta that nobody paid for is "white knighting" anything.

For what its worth, I had to wait around all day on Friday before I could make a character on Sargatanas, and then I've been unable to advance any story or class quests all weekend due to Error 90000. I also had to make a new character on a different server so I could play with my friends who couldn't get on to Sargatanas. Its been pretty frustrating, but so is hitting all red lights on my way to work! If we had paid money for this experience, it would be super unacceptable. If what you're saying is that you expect the problems this weekend to not be fixed by release, then you should definitely cancel your pre-order. (and probably never pre-order anything again because pre-ordering is kinda silly anyway) Maybe buy the game a week after release when everything is almost guaranteed to be smooth, if you like the game. Or not, if you don't. Whatever, who gives a shit.

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    ENzoENzo Registered User regular
    Bugs in a beta/launch of an mmo.. go figure. Not my first song and dance. This also isn't the best/worst I've seen.

Just try and be patient. Rage quitting because of some errors is just going to get you frustrated. If it's like this after the first month, they owe us some money :D

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular

It's AWFUL. You unlock it when you hit level 10. Here's the thing though. Each item you "quick" synthesize takes ~5 seconds, which is about how long it takes to manually make bronze ingots or whatever anyway. The 2nd lame thing about it is all it does is hit the basic synthesis over and over, so when i was level 11 armorer making level 1 or 2 bronze ingots with "quick synthesis," like 1 or 2 of them would fail for every 20 I made. I would NEVER fail the synthesis doing it manually because even with a bad stretch of failures i'd just use the thing that gives durability back once and it'd be fine.

The quick synthesis is neither quick nor efficient. It's maybe the worst implementation of a convenience feature they could've done.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    anyone should know that closed beta is never going to stress the servers as much as open beta. if you didn't expect issues then I don't know what to say.

but keep on complaining

about the free phase

that is still in beta(you agreed to beta tester terms, after all)

or maybe you should go do something else and wait for the actual game release

• Options
    DecatusDecatus Registered User regular
    So, I've been playing this yesterday and some today. I managed to make a character on Sarg this morning while it was open. I told myself yesterday that it was just okay, and I didn't see myself playing it long term. But then, lo and behold, I logged in and got another few levels under my belt this morning. This game seems to scratch that "traditional" MMO itch that I've had since I quit WoW a few years back. I'm tempted to buy it and play, but I've got a few questions first.

First, does this game give me something that other MMO's haven't? I appreciate that not every game tries to reinvent the wheel, and it seems like FFXIV is one of those games. Traditional questing is well and good, and it's streamlined enough and efficient in its placing, so that's fine. The FATE's are fun, and I haven't had a chance to try out the leve quests or the Guild things - any quick and dirty info on those?

Basically, I'm on the fence about buying this game. The only thing I've really got against it is the sub fee, which really isn't that bad (I suppose). But I'm also curious what the endgame is (if there is any) - is it going to be traditional raids and dungeon style with a loot treadmill, or is it more of a "level all of your alt classes and jobs!" kind of game?

Also! Will I have to travel to the other starter cities in order to unlock those Classes (jobs? I get the terms mixed up)? If so, will I be able to do starter quests in those areas in order to level the new class a bit? I noticed that there aren't any repeatable starter quests (other than FATE's and such); how much does that impact leveling speed of a new class/job/thing?

Sorry if these have already been answered, but I'm far too lazy (and don't have the time) to read through the last 51 pages of responses. Thanks for any info, guys - if its good info

PSN: decatus90
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I'm playing on Ultros server with some RL friends. Ultros is a standard, non-legacy server.

Yet last night, I grouped with a Conjurer in the Copper Mine instance, and he was wearing a pretty cool looking white mage robe. I asked where he got it and said it was a legacy item. How was he able to get a legacy item on a non-legacy server?

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Are people really still telling themselves, "It's beta!" as some sort of comfort slogan?

It's (open) beta, of a game that is relaunching after a massive failure in design and performance.

You have an issue that's been around for 3 years, on servers they've operated since day 1 of the original release. The 3102 error should not be happening, and it shouldn't be sat on the entirety of the stress test for no real reason. You have people who have not been able to play since the first hour of the first day and there has been no update or official word. I am sure they'll sort it out at some point, but to think that this is happening because it's a beta is really poor logic.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'm playing on Ultros server with some RL friends. Ultros is a standard, non-legacy server.

Yet last night, I grouped with a Conjurer in the Copper Mine instance, and he was wearing a pretty cool looking white mage robe. I asked where he got it and said it was a legacy item. How was he able to get a legacy item on a non-legacy server?

Woo, I'm on Ultros too, how bout that.

Also, I think (but not 100%) that former players still receive veteran bonuses and such even if they're on a non-legacy server. Legacy servers only allow you to play characters that were made before ARR and that is all.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    man some of yall are really getting your panties all twisted about not being able to play a beta version of the game.

• Options
    MukkMukk Registered User regular

The instances pool players from all the servers of a data center, so playing on a NA/EU server can get you grouped with any of the other NA/EU servers, legacy or not.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I'm on Ultros too because purple comedy squid is my spirit animal

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    Nyht wrote: »

There was something like that in 1.0. I did it for maybe about 15 minutes, realized it was boring as shit and proceeded to go punch skeletons for their eye patches to sell.

Also, after playing a good portion of 1.0, I've gotten a lot more patient when it comes to broken as hell MMOs. Stuff not working? Oh well, time to read Foreign Affairs or something. Can't make a character on the server I wanted? I'll just try again at a later time. And 3102 was very much a different sort of error then it is now from 3 years ago. The error now seems to be something more like that episode of SG-1 where the team get's stuck inside the Stargate than being disconnected from the server on a cat wench dancing in town trying to vendor wares.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    Random thoughts:

So despite getting 3102'd I do have to say that I really enjoy this game. Which I find surprising since I've been pretty tired of hotbar combat for awhile now.

Even though the combat is mechanically similar to WoW there is just so much more going on in the game that I can overlook it. To me knocking this game because of the combat is like knocking a feast because the hors d'oeuvres were plain.

I do find leveling to be fairly speedy and have yet to decide if that is a good thing or not.

I'm also a tiny bit bum'd that the Jobs are more like specializations as opposed to a new class. I really enjoyed going out and collecting all the classes I could in FFXI, was hoping FFXIV would capture that spirit, but alas. Not a deal breaker.

Graphics are of course amazing. More accurately the attention to detail in this game is stunning.

Sound design and music is top notch and there is a fair amount of detail put in to the sound as well. Like during a FATE the more people in the FATE zone the louder the sounds of "battle" become. However, the same applies to cities. The more people crowded in to the same area the louder the sound of "conversations" become and if you are in a section of the city with little to no players the streets become silent.

I actually read the NPC dialogue. So far it has all been great and the actual story stuff (both the main and class stories) have been top quality. Not too surprising though. Despite FFXI being akin to a swift kick to the nuts most of the time, the story was actually one of the better ones from any Final Fantasy game.

Lambs are adorable and I feel guilty for slaughtering them en masse.

I really, really wish this game had an Outfit system though. I'd love to be able to continually rock glasses or an eye-patch. Among a few other armor pieces I've come across.

So all in all I'll probably be sub'ing for a few months at the very least. We'll see how things look in a month or so. Currently I am optimistic.

• Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    I really, really wish this game had an Outfit system though. I'd love to be able to continually rock glasses or an eye-patch. Among a few other armor pieces I've come across.

This is something I wish the game had so much. Especially since the 1.0 mentality was, "You can wear whatever you want to wear" type attitude when play. Even if the gear wasn't all that great for the class. I know I wanted to be that lalafell in the Gridania intro with the heavy gloves throwing magic at people.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    Hunter_KillersHunter_Killers Registered User regular
    edited August 2013

This is something I wish the game had so much. Especially since the 1.0 mentality was, "You can wear whatever you want to wear" type attitude when play. Even if the gear wasn't all that great for the class. I know I wanted to be that lalafell in the Gridania intro with the heavy gloves throwing magic at people.

I'm pretty sure that or something similar is coming later.

Hunter_Killers on
    4efe575fea51ec35.png
  • Options
    Those of you on Ultros:

Friend me when you can. My character name is Alora Sunfury. I'm already 20 on Gladiator and I'm working on getting 15 for Conjurer so I can unlock Paladin during the early access next weekend.

• Options

I'm pretty sure that or something similar is coming later.

Yup they have been pretty vocal about making sure players will be able to do this, just not at launch.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Those of you on Ultros:

Friend me when you can. My character name is Alora Sunfury. I'm already 20 on Gladiator and I'm working on getting 15 for Conjurer so I can unlock Paladin during the early access next weekend.

I would if it wasn't full! Send a friend request for Montague Higgenpuff though

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Random thoughts:

Even though the combat is mechanically similar to WoW there is just so much more going on in the game that I can overlook it. To me knocking this game because of the combat is like knocking a feast because the hors d'oeuvres were plain.

Not that the combat is BAD, but it does nothing to push the simple hotbar standstill combat forward and that 2.5 second GCD to me, pushes it back. Although I noticed there are telegraphed skills to avoid, which makes it at least a little bit entertaining for melee (which allows you to move). Maybe this changes drastically later on (which I will most likely never see because I can both not afford to buy a new game and can absolutely not afford a sub), but right now I can' say the combat is better than what I remember from wow and I haven't played that in 2 years. And I am definately not praising wow, its just they kind of had a long enough time to perfect that kind of oldschool mmo combat. Which is what I call it now, because most are moving away from it.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Beezel wrote: »
    Those of you on Ultros:

I would if it wasn't full! Send a friend request for Montague Higgenpuff though

Indeed. I'm 3102'd at the moment, but my character's name is Pale Moon. Working on getting Warrior.

edit- Maybe not a bad idea to get a linkshell up for us PA Refugees on Ultros. :P

Axen on
  • Options
    It won't let me add either of you guys till you're online. 3102 is affecting a lot of people.

The good news is, this bug was introduced in the phase 4 client, and it's likely already fixed in the internal builds at SquareEnix.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I have a bunch of friends that want to roll on Ultros...so I would be okay with that. I'm 3102'd as well but when I can...

• Options
    I'm actually surprised a lot of us weren't on Ultros already. I mean. I could totally see Ultros telling dick jokes

• Options
    It won't let me add either of you guys till you're online. 3102 is affecting a lot of people.

The good news is, this bug was introduced in the phase 4 client, and it's likely already fixed in the internal builds at SquareEnix.

Sad irony being that I can't get online because I am already "online". :(

Ah well, thankfully it didn't happen to me on the first day.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The page on the forum addressing the 3102 is on page 1450. I'd say it's effecting a shitload of people.

And that's just (mostly) people posting their server and character names.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I actually like the slower deliberate GCD in this game. On my MRD, it means I have to decide whether to put a bleed on this guy, or use 2 GCDs to use my combo that will give me a nice hefty sundering strike for bonus dmg and enmity. Later, I get another combo move that comes off heavy strike so I have to decide which to use and keep my dmg buff uptime high. It's definitely a bit slower paced than some other MMO combat, but that's part of what I like about it.

• Options
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Are people really still telling themselves, "It's beta!" as some sort of comfort slogan?

It's (open) beta, of a game that is relaunching after a massive failure in design and performance.

You have an issue that's been around for 3 years, on servers they've operated since day 1 of the original release. The 3102 error should not be happening, and it shouldn't be sat on the entirety of the stress test for no real reason. You have people who have not been able to play since the first hour of the first day and there has been no update or official word. I am sure they'll sort it out at some point, but to think that this is happening because it's a beta is really poor logic.

Except that its an entirely different issue from anything that has ever happened on 1.0. It does however share the same error code.

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    question about the lvl 15 conjurer quest
    am I just supposed to heal the dudes while they kill everything?

This discussion has been closed.