As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV: ARR] Old Thread. Use the New Thread!

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    You're not really cherry picking anything. Warrior has access to 100% of the Marauder's abilities and just gets 5 new tanking abilities. The cross class skills MRD and WAR have access to aren't even that different. Sure, MRD has access to a bunch of shit nobody would ever equip on a tank because it's all super sub optimal compared to the tank stuff Warrior and Marauder both have access to already, but who really cares about that?

Arcanist goes like Arcanist -> DPS or Healer
    Every other class goes DPS -> Same DPS but better or Tank -> Same tanking but better. So right now there's no meaningful specialization at all. Nobody can go "I'm a Marauder but i'm specialized in DPS as a Warrior," because Warrior is a tank class and so is Marauder. You can't even queue for a dungeon as anything except tank while being a Marauder.

If their intent is to eventually have all classes have multiple jobs to choose from for different roles like tanking/dps/healing like the current arcanist does, then that'll be great, but that's not what we're launching with, and I've seen no confirmation that that is even the plan.

So these would all shit nobody would care about:

Delivers an attack with a potency of 140.
    Additional Effect: Increases critical hit rate by 10%.
    Duration: 20s

Increasesdamage dealt by 20%

Increases parry rate by 80%.

Increases the physical defence of all party members within range of target.
    Duration: 30m

Instantly restores 300 TP.

Increases DEX by 15% and physical accuracy by 20%.

Those are some examples of good skills that you would lose access to.

Yo I'm cnj can you list me some good cross class skills, I have been having a hard time finding info in a useful and up-to-date way

Right now my list is
    1. Thunder (thm)
    2. Second Wind (kind of?) (pug)

Here you go my friend:

http://www.ffxivinfo.com/class/conjurer.php

Chart rules, thanks

Though since whm has divine seal which is just 1:1 better than mantra I can't imagine ever not just being whm over cnj with convalescence

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    You're not really cherry picking anything. Warrior has access to 100% of the Marauder's abilities and just gets 5 new tanking abilities. The cross class skills MRD and WAR have access to aren't even that different. Sure, MRD has access to a bunch of shit nobody would ever equip on a tank because it's all super sub optimal compared to the tank stuff Warrior and Marauder both have access to already, but who really cares about that?

Arcanist goes like Arcanist -> DPS or Healer
    Every other class goes DPS -> Same DPS but better or Tank -> Same tanking but better. So right now there's no meaningful specialization at all. Nobody can go "I'm a Marauder but i'm specialized in DPS as a Warrior," because Warrior is a tank class and so is Marauder. You can't even queue for a dungeon as anything except tank while being a Marauder.

If their intent is to eventually have all classes have multiple jobs to choose from for different roles like tanking/dps/healing like the current arcanist does, then that'll be great, but that's not what we're launching with, and I've seen no confirmation that that is even the plan.

So these would all shit nobody would care about:

Delivers an attack with a potency of 140.
    Additional Effect: Increases critical hit rate by 10%.

Increasesdamage dealt by 20%

Increases parry rate by 80%.

Increases the physical defence of all party members within range of target.
    Duration: 30m

Instantly restores 300 TP.

Increases DEX by 15% and physical accuracy by 20%.

Those are some examples of good skills that you would lose access to.

As a Warrior tank Keen Flurry is the only one you'll miss IMO, when compared to Featherfoot, Flash, Second Wind, Convalescence, Hayamker, Provoke, or Mantra.

Most of the rest of those would be good for a theoretical Marauder job specialization that was a DPSer instead of a tank, but as we know that does not yet exist. Then there's protect which is usable by like every class and will 100% be brought to the table by your healer.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Dark Knight will probably fill that DPS Marauder role. But that's purely speculation :D

I think you're right but I actually hope not, because I want DRK to use a 2 handed sword and not axe. =(

Scythe!

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    There's definitely no shortage of jobs in their Final Fantasy bank, but yeah, as it stands, the whole job/class system is hardly robust. Or, worse case, still very much incomplete

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    These are what I want in my life right now: Red Mage, Samurai, Ninja, Dark Knight, Blue Mage.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Pookiepoo wrote: »
    I haven't been able to play the beta but I would love to know if I can expect to play my FFXIV 1.0 character that had a bunch of jobs to 50. Mining is not something I can see myself grinding again...

I am really excited to play but the thread makes the game sound like 1.0+arcanist, which would be very disappointing.

Definitely a lot more than just 1.0+ Arcanist. So much more I won't try to make a list or something, it's well worth some time playing, at least to see if you dig it.

Oh god yes, I missed that part. Yeah I can't stress enough how vastly different the game is from 1.0. So much so that it would be simpler to just imagine that 1.0 did not exist, and that this was the game they meant to make all along.

The combat is different (better)
    The questing is different (better)
    The Graphics are just about the same but they have always been awesome.
    The zones are different (better)
    The Story is brand new (and awesome thus far)
    Chocobos that battle with you, Magitech, Ahriman Mounts
    New Class and new Jobs

Completely vamped pretty much everything from the ground up (They did reuse art assets but the world is fucking GORGEOUS now and no longer the drab repeating landscape from 1.0)

And that's just some of it. It really is a different game

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Just remember everyone, when in doubt:
    PJKSxLb.jpg

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    WydrionWydrion Registered User regular
    These are what I want in my life right now: Red Mage, Samurai, Ninja, Dark Knight, Blue Mage.

Blue Mage would be great for the game, since that class already involves time investment of hunting down specific monsters to learn abilities from, and MMO's are all about your time.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    god he looks so young in that photo

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    I'm still waiting on the email from Amazon, let alone Square

I hope things are ok

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    They did build an enormous amount of credibility (with me, anyway) when they decided to completely remake the game instead of just scrapping it. That really hardly ever happens, especially for high profile titles. There's a lot of fairly important stuff that really strikes me as just plain incomplete, but I've been playing MMOs long to enough to not count that as a deal-breaker out of the gate. I just hope they manage to keep up the communication about things to come, and transparency regarding internal development and feedback.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    So from what you guys have been talking about jobs wise...it won't be viable to just stay as a Gladiator at max level? I -have- to become a Paladin to be worth taking in a group? :(

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    So from what you guys have been talking about jobs wise...it won't be viable to just stay as a Gladiator at max level? I -have- to become a Paladin to be worth taking in a group? :(

I don't think anyone can speak to the viability of one job versus another, only that jobs tend to be augmented versions of their base class.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Well I ask because I like being a sword and shield melee guy. I don't really want to be the main tank, I just like to be scrappy dps / off tank and enjoy the whole sword/shield style of melee. I don't see any other sword/shield job than Paladin so...I guess I might be screwed.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    PookiepooPookiepoo Registered User regular
    I haven't been able to play the beta but I would love to know if I can expect to play my FFXIV 1.0 character that had a bunch of jobs to 50. Mining is not something I can see myself grinding again...

I am really excited to play but the thread makes the game sound like 1.0+arcanist, which would be very disappointing.

Definitely a lot more than just 1.0+ Arcanist. So much more I won't try to make a list or something, it's well worth some time playing, at least to see if you dig it.

Oh god yes, I missed that part. Yeah I can't stress enough how vastly different the game is from 1.0. So much so that it would be simpler to just imagine that 1.0 did not exist, and that this was the game they meant to make all along.

The combat is different (better)
    The questing is different (better)
    The Graphics are just about the same but they have always been awesome.
    The zones are different (better)
    The Story is brand new (and awesome thus far)
    Chocobos that battle with you, Magitech, Ahriman Mounts
    New Class and new Jobs

Completely vamped pretty much everything from the ground up (They did reuse art assets but the world is fucking GORGEOUS now and no longer the drab repeating landscape from 1.0)

And that's just some of it. It really is a different game

Wow, I had no idea it was that much different. I knew I'd be playing either way since I enjoyed 1.0 despite its downfalls, but this is great news. If I end up on the the PA server - even better.

Thanks for making this week 5x longer. :)

Steam: Pookie GG Now Playing: BattleTech, Divinity Original Sin 2, MechWarrior 5
  • Options
    MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    You'd want to make sure to get appropriate damage boosting skills from other classes and make sure your group knows what you're doing though, or people will assume you're a tank. The duty finder will list you as a tank.

Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    the opening cinematic is a good representation of what they wanted to do with 1.0: nuke it off the face of the earth

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

I hope things are ok

@Elldren - Did you get an email around the time you made your purchase from Amazon? I received one at the same time as my receipt back when I preordered. You should have it already.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    PookiepooPookiepoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Well I ask because I like being a sword and shield melee guy. I don't really want to be the main tank, I just like to be scrappy dps / off tank and enjoy the whole sword/shield style of melee. I don't see any other sword/shield job than Paladin so...I guess I might be screwed.

I can't see GLD being used as a dps in groups but since ARR is a new game I guess anything is possible. GLD abilities in 1.0 tended to be very defensive and I did embarrasing damage. End game content was not easy enough that you could be sub-optimal either.

Again, ARR could and probably did change the playing field.

Pookiepoo on
    Steam: Pookie GG Now Playing: BattleTech, Divinity Original Sin 2, MechWarrior 5
  • Options

Paladin has a stance that increases their auto attack damage they can use instead of their tanking stance, and you could get away with just being an off tank/dps that didn't do as much DPS but was tankier and more supporty. Plus, Gladiator has a lot more options of cross class skills, so I'm going to basically go back on one of the things I said earlier and say you could just stay as Gladiator in a group and equip more damage oriented cross class skills to fill that role.

That being said, if you're not wanting to tank stuff you would have to manually form your groups because Glad/PLD can only queue as a tank in the duty finder.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Gyral wrote: »

I hope things are ok

@Elldren - Did you get an email around the time you made your purchase from Amazon? I received one at the same time as my receipt back when I preordered. You should have it already.

noap

I got an email confirming the order

and a notice I'd get an email today

edit: I only pre-ordered on Aug 6 when I decided I'd like to get the PS3 version too

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    DesmondPfeifferDesmondPfeiffer The secret diary of- Registered User regular

I can't see GLD being used as a dps in groups but since ARR is a new game I guess anything is possible. GLD abilities in 1.0 tended to be very defensive and I did embarrasing damage. End game content was not easy enough that you could be sub-optimal either.

All I have to go off of is one of my friends that mained Gld/Pld in 1.0 and messed around on it in beta 3 a bit, but he did say they have more damage potential now. With that said, I don't think they are ever going to be sought after for dps, unless they get a really amazing second Job down the road.

• Options
    jdmichaljdmichal Registered User regular
    jdmichal wrote: »
    SRSBSNS question:

Does anyone think an item request / requisitioning type system for the FC would be useful? I can repurpose the Heads, Butts, and Shafts system from 1.0 to that end. Otherwise I'll finally just take it down, since there's not really any reason to keep it alive anymore.

I don't know what this is, but I'm interested

Tell me more

I made a website for 1.0 (linked in my sig actually) for requesting and providing items. The whole idea was pretty painful in 1.0, because it was impossible to exchange items except in person. Now since you can mail items, it could be more useful, and I'd be willing to revamp the site to work with AAR.

Basic use cases:
    • I'm a miner. I usually end up with a lot of extra stuff that I simply don't need. I can list the stuff on the site, and people can claim it. When I get on FFXIV, I can check the site and mail claimed items to others.
    • I'm a blacksmith. I need a lot of ores and shards for crafting, but don't mine or anything. I can go on the site and claim items other people have listed. Then I can pick them up in my mail after they send them.
    • I'm a warrior. I need some SUPER SUBLIGAR 9000. I can put in a request for the item in the system. A armorsmith can claim the request, make the item, then mail it to me. I get the item in the mail and am now too sexy.

XBox Live: KillerCodeMonky | Steam: KillerCodeMonky
    SC2: KillerCodeMk | LoL: KillerCodeMonky | FFXIV: Shea Demvas (Sargantas)
    Ghost in the Linkshell Item Requisitioning
    Let me know you are from PA, otherwise I will likely ignore you.
  • Options

GLD abilities are still really defensive, and the main combo rotation is a big threat generator.

I mean, I suppose you could riot blade constantly and use mostly cross-class skills, but it still wouldn't be lancer level.

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    I just really hope the ridiculous min/max mentality of XI doesn't permeate into this game as well, because that, more than anything else, is the thing that ruined my experience of that game. I realize things would have probably been very different had I a group of friends to play with, and that the actual mechanics/demands of the game weren't NEARLY as stringent as the playerbase would have you believe, save the very very end-game content, but that just wasn't in the cards.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    "sought after" and "dps" don't go together

• Options
    rpshoggothrpshoggoth Registered User regular
    Just understand you're walking a non-standard path and the vast majority of strangers you run into will most likely not understand or be sympathetic to your goal.

Amongst friends it will probably be, "OK".

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I wonder what they are going to do about people who preorder between today and the 24th. I predict a lot of angry customers who wanted early access...

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Jars wrote: »

And you are kidding yourself if you think the community isn't going to look for specific jobs to be their dps roles in parties, hence "sought after".

• Options
    I wonder what they are going to do about people who preorder between today and the 24th. I predict a lot of angry customers who wanted early access...

Well they would be in the same spot as all of us atm. Once the site calms down and people can regularly enter codes they'll have until release I believe to enter their code and get "Early Access" although every day past the 24th will be one less day they would get in the EA part at least.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    MiniwolfMiniwolf Probably somewhere sniffing somethingRegistered User regular

I doubt we'll have problems tomorrow. They're just having the rush of people right now. Once that dies down, we'll be good.

League Of Legends: Ulven
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options

And you are kidding yourself if you think the community isn't going to look for specific jobs to be their dps roles in parties, hence "sought after".

Kinda hope the Duty Finder fixes a lot of those issues.

Maybe splitting up the JP/NA/EU servers will help, too.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Javen wrote: »

Agreed the Duty finder completely nullifies the idea of 'I am a poor monk no one wants me in their group because I don't do as much damage as a Black Mage'

For End-Game content this may be a different story, however that is being put together by the Free Company anyways, so if someone isn't allowing you into their raid because you're a monk well I am more then sure you'll find raid group that would take you along.

As for non Free Company sever based groups and raiding, Yah there is going to be elitism, that is the nature of hard core raiders/ min-max number crunchers.

Miniwolf on
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »

I would hope so, I'm no fan of it, but it seems to just be the way of things. Stacking black mages against Garuda so they don't have to bother moving to dodge attacks... the laziness is appalling.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    the opening cinematic is a good representation of what they wanted to do with 1.0: nuke it off the face of the earth

Everytime I see it I keep on imagining the old guy is Version 1.0. The people he teleports out are the players that spent money on 1.0.
    And of course Yoshi P. as Bahamut.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    So did anybody play Archer in beta, and what're your thoughts? I'm actually thinking about making it my main job I level because it seems like a super fun class to play. It's the only one I've tried where rather than a combo system like my Marauder, it's more about just hammering your best shots and hitting heartseeker or whatever when it pops off CD from your DoT ticks critting. Part of the thing that excites me is I think the potential to pull agro from any tank is very high with the class, so I'd get the fun of having to actually manage myself, which is sorely missing from DPSing in a lot of modern MMOs.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Pretty sure you login to your Sq

Everytime I see it I keep on imagining the old guy is Version 1.0. The people he teleports out are the players that spent money on 1.0.

nonono.

The old man is YoshiP. He came to save everyone from the 1.0 devs(bahamut) that are ruining everything. But in the end, after a lot of attempts to stop Bahamut, he realizes that the only way to save the players are to just take them out of that hellscape and transport them to a new world.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    So did anybody play Archer in beta, and what're your thoughts? I'm actually thinking about making it my main job I level because it seems like a super fun class to play. It's the only one I've tried where rather than a combo system like my Marauder, it's more about just hammering your best shots and hitting heartseeker or whatever when it pops off CD from your DoT ticks critting. Part of the thing that excites me is I think the potential to pull agro from any tank is very high with the class, so I'd get the fun of having to actually manage myself, which is sorely missing from DPSing in a lot of modern MMOs.

@vagrant_winds played one to 20 I believe

Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    SRSBSNS question:

Does anyone think an item request / requisitioning type system for the FC would be useful? I can repurpose the Heads, Butts, and Shafts system from 1.0 to that end. Otherwise I'll finally just take it down, since there's not really any reason to keep it alive anymore.

I don't know what this is, but I'm interested

Tell me more

I made a website for 1.0 (linked in my sig actually) for requesting and providing items. The whole idea was pretty painful in 1.0, because it was impossible to exchange items except in person. Now since you can mail items, it could be more useful, and I'd be willing to revamp the site to work with AAR.

Basic use cases:
    • I'm a miner. I usually end up with a lot of extra stuff that I simply don't need. I can list the stuff on the site, and people can claim it. When I get on FFXIV, I can check the site and mail claimed items to others.
    • I'm a blacksmith. I need a lot of ores and shards for crafting, but don't mine or anything. I can go on the site and claim items other people have listed. Then I can pick them up in my mail after they send them.
    • I'm a warrior. I need some SUPER SUBLIGAR 9000. I can put in a request for the item in the system. A armorsmith can claim the request, make the item, then mail it to me. I get the item in the mail and am now too sexy.

this is awesome

we should do this

I need more people to ask me to craft them stuff!

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Yeah I'm totally down for some kind of Free Company crating commune.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Pretty sure you login to your Sq

nonono.

The old man is YoshiP. He came to save everyone from the 1.0 devs(bahamut) that are ruining everything. But in the end, after a lot of attempts to stop Bahamut, he realizes that the only way to save the players are to just take them out of that hellscape and transport them to a new world.

Nah, Yoshi Bahamut killing old man 1.0 is way better...makes him a total badass in the cutscene.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
This discussion has been closed.