As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[One Piece] A wild trip on the Grand Line

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    It's just the feeling she needs, innit? If you're oblivious or a huge badass, you're fine.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    She petrified a pacifista. Only a part of it but that implies a broader criteria

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I think the petrification part is an actual Devil's Fruit power. Her natural beauty just keeps them distracted long enough to hit them with the Love Love powers, not an actual requirement to get them working.

Then again I remember she tried a move on Luffy and it didn't work, so maybe it is dependent on carnal desire.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Or the robots are programmed to love.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Or the robots are programmed to love.
    That's just the first step towards them learning other emotions, like anger. Then you know what happens!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IB019GSvXk

Anyway, yay I just finished an entire year of re-watching the whole series. Now that I'm caught back up I can finally come back to this thread!

Trafalgar Law <3

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    One Piece 760
    Flashback Time!

Or, maybe not? Keep in mind we already had the mini-flashback of Law as a child that only lasted 1 page or so.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Chapter 760.
    What a huge baby.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Episode 661/manga spoilers:
    I've been going back and forth with my friend over when exactly in this arc shit officially gets real. This episode? This week?

Shit just got real. B)

However, shit can get real without the arc hitting critical mass, since I think there's a small lull before the arc becomes escalating awesome every week.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    The more I think about it? The more I LOVE Dolfi's backstory.

He's a typical Celestial Dragon child(In other words, raving fucking asshole) who's father went "WHOA, FUCK THIS SHIT" and decided to live like a normal person. Dolfie's family was branded traitor's because of it, his mom died from nebulous circumstances and so he blames his father, kills him, brings the Dragon's his head and they STILL don't give a fuck and his status is not re-instated.

So he rages like the asshole little Celestial Dragon he is by swearing to bring them down no matter what, and thinks he's got the most harshest backstory in existence.

Like I can't get enough of how GREAT THAT IS.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Episode 3D2Y movie:
    Seeing Buggy again with his crew just reinforces how, if (and hopefully when) Buggy and Usopp face off, they won't actually fight, but instead their respective followers will just compare the Legend of Clownstar Buggy vs. the Legend of God Usopp, and victory will be determined by whose followers can tell a better tale.

Also this 3D2Y thing is pretty great, and Hancock is awesome.

Insane spoilers at the end if you aren't 100% caught up with the manga.

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular

He's a typical Celestial Dragon child(In other words, raving fucking asshole) who's father went "WHOA, FUCK THIS SHIT" and decided to live like a normal person. Dolfie's family was branded traitor's because of it, his mom died from nebulous circumstances and so he blames his father, kills him, brings the Dragon's his head and they STILL don't give a fuck and his status is not re-instated.

So he rages like the asshole little Celestial Dragon he is by swearing to bring them down no matter what, and thinks he's got the most harshest backstory in existence.

I really like how unashamedly evil he is, and this revelation just seals it. A lot of mangas, or stories in particular, nowadays like to try and make you sympathize with the villain, at least a little. But, sometimes you just need a completely evil bastard like Dolfi to hate. And he really fits that role.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Given that we now have a tragic backstory, I guess that means that the crew is going to have a new member soon.

• Options
    Zomro wrote: »

I really like how unashamedly evil he is, and this revelation just seals it. A lot of mangas, or stories in particular, nowadays like to try and make you sympathize with the villain, at least a little. But, sometimes you just need a completely evil bastard like Dolfi to hate. And he really fits that role.
    He still seems like a good captain to the executives in his crew, even if he's awful to everyone else.

• Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    Zomro wrote: »

He still seems like a good captain to the executives in his crew, even if he's awful to everyone else.

Given how OP operates, 50-50 chance that even THAT is just a front...

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    No, found the right video. This was posted today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIkgYcMOYcU&amp;feature=youtu.be

So this is apparently a thing.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    I think something to that effect has been posted before. Or else this is a sequel.

• Options
    To what lengths will you go to capture Luffy, Smoker? At what cost?

• Options
    EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    dat jiggle physics

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    new chapter is out
    flashbacks are in

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    One Piece 761 thoughts
    It seems all but confirmed that Corazon nr. 2 used his "immortality" card on Law

Doflamingo Pirates seem to be the group with the most devil fruit expertise: One of them could produce artificial devil fruits, and appearantly they have something that allows them to track down respawning devil fruits: They got both the Op-Op fruit back (after Corazon died/sacrificed himself) and they got possession of Ace's fire fruit after he died. Maybe Doflamingo has a piece of technology, or maybe knows when/where devil fruits reappear after their user has died. I'm curious to see what else we will learn about devil fruit mechanics!

Remember that Doflamingo told Law that he "could've been the third corazon"? So assuming Corazon the second sacrificed himself to cure Law, what about the original Corazon? Did he also eat the Op-Op no mi? If so, who did HE turn immortal?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    One Piece 761 thoughts
    It seems all but confirmed that Corazon nr. 2 used his "immortality" card on Law

Remember that Doflamingo told Law that he "could've been the third corazon"? So assuming Corazon the second sacrificed himself to cure Law, what about the original Corazon? Did he also eat the Op-Op no mi? If so, who did HE turn immortal?
    Don't forget, we've already seen someone in Dolfy's crew that seems to have stopped aging

• Options
    edited September 2014
    EvilOtaku wrote: »
    One Piece 761 thoughts

Don't forget, we've already seen someone in Dolfy's crew that seems to have stopped aging
    Sugar? Wasn't it explained that it was her Devil Fruit? I guess she does seem to have eternal youth
    Or is it someone else?

Also, the current english translation floating around is terrible

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
  • Options
    One Piece 761 thoughts

Sugar? Wasn't it explained that it was her Devil Fruit? I guess she does seem to have eternal youth
    Or is it someone else?

It was said that it was part of her devil fruit. It would make sense to turn her immortal alongside Doflamingo himself, but I wouldn't think he'd stop her from aging FIRST. So it might just be part of her DF after all.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    One Piece 761 thoughts

Doflamingo Pirates seem to be the group with the most devil fruit expertise: One of them could produce artificial devil fruits, and appearantly they have something that allows them to track down respawning devil fruits: They got both the Op-Op fruit back (after Corazon died/sacrificed himself) and they got possession of Ace's fire fruit after he died. Maybe Doflamingo has a piece of technology, or maybe knows when/where devil fruits reappear after their user has died. I'm curious to see what else we will learn about devil fruit mechanics!

The power jumps to a nearby regular fruit. If you're at the scene, tracking it becomes much easier.

• Options
    One Piece 761 thoughts

Or is it someone else?

Viz's translation is usually the best.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Yes. Everyone should subscribe to Viz's service - it's seriously so cheap.

Also, they're starting to translate the first 3 chapters of every new series added to WSJ, so that's pretty cool, too!

• Options
    The only thing I don't like about Viz's translations is that they drop honorifics completely (no -san, -kun, -chan, -sama, -dono, etc.) and make no distinction in speech based on pronouns (ore, boku, watashi, atashi, washi, watukshi, ore-sama, etc.). But I am a huge nerd, so there's that.

Chapter 761:
    Finally the inevitable Law flashback story.

As for the fight, this is the hardest Luffy's been pushed in a while.

• Options
    Episode 663:
    Yes. Yeeeeeeeeeeees. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessss!!! Literally all the feels! SO GOOD!! Been waiting SO LONG for this episode!!

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Well, occasionally some artists will draw stories for another artist's series. It's more rare for manga, obviously it happens all the time in the west, but it still happens. There's an Attack on Titan prequel manga series, its not being done by the main Attack on Titan artist(s?). Presumably the original creator has to okay it - maybe they're only tackling stuff from the 2Y era, or doing bonus stories that Oda never got a chance to do in the original run - he's mentioned a couple of times that some things get left out.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    New chapter!
    Backstory in a backstory!
    Children killed!
    Killer Child!

urquanlord88.png
  • Options
    Oh man:
    Flashbacks always seem to spell trouble for everyone involved.

• Options
    Jeebus
    This has to be one of the highest body counts of a flashback.

Also WTF Law; is this the same dude that sat around Punk Hazard while children were being experimented on?

• Options
    For this arc as a whole:
    We're up to five tragic backstories? Rebecca, Riku, Kyros, Doflamingo, and now Law. I figured I'd have arc fatigue by now, but nope, gimme MORE of your sweet sweet flashbacks, Oda. It'll only make the payoff that much greater.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    HOLY SHIT
    Law has the D
    Corazon speaks!
    Why does he look more and more like Emporio Ivankov
    EDIT: Also
    "My sons were shot 16 times"
    "My daughter killed herself"
    "My wife was burned alive"
    grimdark
    EDIT EDIT: Comment from reddit
    It's supposed to be "Water Law".
    As in, Trafalgar D. Watel LawWaterloo. It's like he was named to crush the hopes of Donquixote Doflamingo.

Also, flamingo's brother Rocinante is another DQ reference
    GAH I can't stop thinking about this

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
  • Options
    BigWillieStylesBigWillieStyles Expert flipper of tables Inside my mind...Registered User regular
    Honestly, I'm annoyed they haven't added another crew member in forever. There are a few jobs they haven't filled yet. Like helmsman. That's why I thought that one fish guy who is a relative of Jinbe would join their crew.

3DS Friend Code: 1006 - 0121 - 6969
    PM me with yours if you add me
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Latest chapter question
    So, is young Rocinante the same person as the Corazon we've been seeing lately? I remember reading about there being more than one Corazon... haven't quite gotten that clearly yet. Maybe the brothers real names were Rocinante and Doffy and then became Corazon and Doflamingo?

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Latest chapter question
    So, is young Rocinante the same person as the Corazon we've been seeing lately? I remember reading about there being more than one Corazon... haven't quite gotten that clearly yet. Maybe the brothers real names were Rocinante and Doffy and then became Corazon and Doflamingo?

I think that hasn't been clarified yet.
    All we know is that there was 2 Corazons in the past. One of which was Rocinante aka Doflamingos brother.

My previous theory was that the Corazon of the group would always eat the Ope Ope no Mi and then use its powers to make someone ageless. However, as it seems the Don quichote pirates haven't yet found the Ope Ope no Mi at the time of Laws introduction, that seems unlikely.

As for "Is Rocinante the first or second Corazon? No idea. I'd think he's the first, as Doffy probably founded his crew together with him. It'd be weird if he only picked him up at a later point.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Alright, looking forwards to getting that cleared up.
    Corazon's warning to Law that a D must not stay near Doflamingo makes me wonder... maybe the Will of D is known by the Celestial Dragon families, so Doflamingo would know something about the Will of D that would make it dangerous for one to be around him, considering his outlaw status.

The Celestial Dragons that are in power might be more content not to interfere with the Ds, but a renegade like Doflamingo might use that knowledge for something dangerous.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Names.
    The card-suits are titles or codenames.

Chapter 763.
    Everybody wants the D.

PLA on
This discussion has been closed.