As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

David Hayter podcast interview.

KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
According to Hayter, Snake is fucked:

From GameSpot:
When it comes to game voice actors, few are as famous as David Hayter. The thespian's name is virtually synonymous with Solid Snake, the character he has played for nearly a decade in the various Metal Gear Solid games.

Unsurprisingly, Hayter has been recast as Solid Snake in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, which is due out for the PlayStation 3 later this year. He leads a bevy of returning cast members, including Quinton Flynn (Raiden), Paul Eiding (Roy Campbell), and Christopher Randolph (Hal "Otacon" Emmerich).

During a Konami podcast, Hayter also raised the prospect that Snake will (finally) meet his doom in Guns of the Patriots--a fact hinted at in the game's trailers. "As bad as it gets for Big Boss, Solid Snake gets really screwed over," he warned. "I don't know yet, as we aren't done with the script, but what I'm trying to give is the sense that it is his last mission, and he knows it. He's deteriorating, he's aging badly."

He then demonstrated Snake's new voice, which has been reduced to a gravelly rasp. "This game will represent the ultimate in cynicism from Solid Snake,"Hayter summarized. "He's been screwed over in every possible way. So I think he knows this is his last opportunity to tell the soldiers around him what he's learned."

Hayter also revealed the "secret" of how he gets into character. "What I do, and I don't usually tell people this, is when I'm recording for, say Metal Gear [Solid] 4, as we are now, I go back and play Metal Gear [Solid] 3 and drop myself back in this world of Snake," he joked.

When not playing Snake, Hayter is a successful Hollywood screenwriter. His current projects include a Paramout Pictures technothriller called Black Monday, which sees a bacteria wipe out the world's oil supply in a week. He also said the long-awaited film version of the classic comic book Watchmen was "moving forward" at Warner Bros., and that he is producing a television anthology based on several short stories by Phillip K. Dick.

Despite Hayter's successful writing career, he still has a soft spot in his heart for Solid Snake. "It means everything to me," he said. "The character of Snake and the world of Metal Gear is by far my signature role. It's the most detailed role I've ever played, and I've been playing it for so long, whenever I get a script and I see that this character is coming back or that character is coming back, I get really excited."

The Konami podcast interview:

http://mp.i-revo.jp/user.php/kp-ryan/entry/79.html

Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
TWITTER TWATS
KING LITERATE on

• Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Metal Gear Twist: By "screwed" he means lots of butt sex.

I'm excited.

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    All I can think of during this interview is "this guy is interviewing snake. HES GOING TO FUCKING BREAK THIS GUY'S NECK".

Spoiler alert. never happened.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    InitialDK wrote: »
    Metal Gear Twist: By "screwed" he means lots of butt sex.

"Proper fucked?"

Also, 'Black Monday' sounds trippy. Like Syriana meets Outbreak. Nice.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    He also did the script to The Watchmen.

JJ on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    And the first two X-Men movies, no less.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    He was also in Guyver: Dark Hero

...what? I liked it....

Duchess Prozac on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hayter actually plays the games, huh? That kind of makes me tight in the pants for him.

Captain K on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Captain K wrote: »
    Hayter actually plays the games, huh? That kind of makes me tight in the pants for him.

It makes me feel kind of guilty about never liking Snake's voice.

But I dig the hell out of his screenplay work, so it's all good. The first X-Men is the most intelligent treatment I think superheroes have gotten on film.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I like his voice if not purely because he gives it a unique, characteristic quality you don't often find in voice work for video games. He doesn't sound big, gruff and mean, rather he's just haggard and wizened.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    jimenexjimenex Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I had never heard the real man talking....EARGASM!

jimenex on
    bg.gif
  • Options
    The_RatThe_Rat Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Perhaps Hayter took inspiration for Black Monday from OILIX in MG2?

The_Rat on
  • Options
    alivatnaalivatna Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Did he call the boss naked snakes mom?

"having his arm broken my his mom"

"shooting his mother"

alivatna on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    alivatna wrote: »
    Did he call the boss naked snakes mom?

"having his arm broken my his mom"

"shooting his mother"

He may be a little confused but she does act as a mother figure to Snake.

JJ on
  • Options
    Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    From a cinematic standpoint, The Boss was his mother, for all intents and purposes.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2007
    He does snake voice whenever he talks about snake, I wonder if he realises.

Tube on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    "Do you think love can blossom in the interview room?"

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    since we're on voice acting

the guy who played ninja in twin snakes sucked ass

Tube on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

didn't they have to bring in someone new for TS because the guy who originally voiced Ninja died?

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hurt me more!

Yessss, thats good snake.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Wraith260 wrote: »

didn't they have to bring in someone new for TS because the guy who originally voiced Ninja died?

Nope, that was the japanese actor. Greg Eagles COULD have died though, of having a voice too awesome for this world.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    fair enough, just remember reading something about how them having to record the entire dialogue instead of just the new stuff because of a death.

though personally i never thought the Ninja's voice acting was that bad. though its been a while since i played either the original or TS.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It's not bad, it's just hammy and average. Not as good as the old one.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    to be fair there wasn't really a lot to work with. the writing and dialogue in the MGS games does tend to be a bit on the melodramatic side. maybe the actor could have tried a bit harder, but i would lay all blame at his feet.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    man, that'd be an easier sell if another actor hadn't awesomed it all up in the house

Tube on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    ok, so Ninja's voice work is a point of contention, but you've got to admit that the script leaves a lot to be desired. i mean Liquid Snake might as well have spent half the game twirling the end of his well waxed moustache. i could have maybe bought into that character if it wasn't for the god awful accent that the actor put on for it.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I actually hated him a lot more in twin snakes as well. They must have changed some lines, there were some real howlers I didn't remember.

Man, I love MGS's scripts. They're cheesy and over the top, and it's great, but sometimes there's some genuinely great stuff.

Tube on
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've always liked Hayter voice, despite how cheesy it is.

I dont like how this podcast plays each persons voice on only one speaker. It's weird. Having said that I very rarely listen to podcasts.

BiggNife on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    don't get me wrong, i love a little melodrama now and then, and for the most part the MGS series does it well, but Liquid was just a bit too over the top.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The security guard story is awesome.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I lol'd at the part where he talks about how cool it would be if Solid Snake and Naked Snake were to meet.

Zek on
  • Options
    Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

He knows he does that, it's mentioned in that podcast. I'm sure he just thinks that's what we want to hear, and I know I damn sure do.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This makes me want to check the supplement of the X Men movies to see if he was interviewed or anything.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

Yeah, he mentions near the end of the podcast that he was purposely putting it on for the podcast but in real life, he doesn't sound like Snake at all.

As for Greg Eagles and Twin Snakes, the weirdest thing is that he returned to voice the DARPA Chief but not Grey Fox. I really wish he had've done Grey Fox again, but then, I think the game was broken long before the voice acting was included.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    aettaett NorCalRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    I lol'd at the part where he talks about how cool it would be if Solid Snake and Naked Snake were to meet.

It sounded like he doesn't know much about the original two Metal Gear games.

I'd have no problem if they remade those, even if it was just for the PSP.

aett on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I fucking love David Hayter.

I wonder how much he gets paid for each Metal Gear Solid game he does?
    don't get me wrong, i love a little melodrama now and then, and for the most part the MGS series does it well, but Liquid was just a bit too over the top.

He's supposed to be the more eccentric, over the top, of the "Snakes".
    I love Liquid.
    I mean, his voice. It's like sexy smooth warm gravy... being poured into my ears.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I love Hayter. It's kinda neat to hear him talk in his normal voice here and pick up subtle hints of Solid Snake.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    i mean Liquid Snake might as well have spent half the game twirling the end of his well waxed moustache.

...Liquid never had a mustache. Perhaps you're confusing him with Ocelot?

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    He can't say he didn't like Ocelot. He just fucking can't.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I actually hated him a lot more in twin snakes as well. They must have changed some lines, there were some real howlers I didn't remember.

Man, I love MGS's scripts. They're cheesy and over the top, and it's great, but sometimes there's some genuinely great stuff.

"He prayed for death, and it found him!" - This was removed, and I wasn't amused with it.

I wanna check out this Black Monday thing, it sounds awesome.

Henroid on
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    God I love David Hayter. Hearing him say those Snake lines from MGS1... "A Hind D?!"

I lol'd.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen