As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40k] Forgeworld please take all of our monies.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I was gonna paint this weekend. And I've been lazy. Just hadn't felt like doing anything since I hurt my shoulder and my kids had to leave. And then tonight, my dad called me from the kitchen and before I could get in there he had collapsed. I tried chest compressions and rescue breathing and I could get him breathing. By the time the ambulance finally got there after driving by the house 3 times, he hadn't been breathing for about 7 minutes. I've never worked so hard at something and failed so miserably.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Jesus dude, that sucks. I'm sorry to hear that.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    What's wrong with the monolith? I've found it one of the easier GW vehicle models to work with for my own particluar madness. All that wonderful interior room...

Maybe I just got a bad kit, but the edge's on the bottom don't completely line up and I have some pretty noticeable gaps to fill.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    40k people, I am looking to get rid of the Eldar which I bought but have not really done anything with. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you the details.

Light the @TraceofToxin symbol!

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I thought about it and I might just not bother changing the color scheme on the Necrons I bought and go with a sort of lore reason for it. Not sure if that is a thing that would matter or not. Anrakyr has units from other Tomb Worlds so I could say they are units from other worlds and this is Anrakyr's army. I kind of just don't feel like repainting stuff since I'm pretty bad at it and I feel like it would fit well.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2014
    I'm playing my first 1500 point game with my Necrons on Tuesday. This is the list I am thinking of using. Critiques please.

HQ

Overlord
    -Mindshackle Scarabs
    -Resurrection Orb

Elites

Deathmarks x 5

Troops

Immortals x10 + Overlord
    -Gauss Blaster
    -Cryptek
    -Harbinger of Despair
    -Veil of Darkness

Immortals x10
    -Tesla Carbine
    -Nightscythe

Fast Attack

Scarab Swarms x7

Wraiths x5
    -Whip Coils x5

Heavy Support

Monolith

Canoptek Spyder x2
    -Particle Beamers x2

Annihilation Barge
    -Gauss Cannon

Edit: Geth approves. Geth is a robot. Necrons are robots. No further work necessary.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Well, fuck me Freddie. I'm on a plane to Mississippi. If work makes me miss NOVA, I'm... going to whine about it a lot, I guess.

• Options
    How bad of an idea is it to just prime white over a model that's already been primed black?

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Seems like a wasted opportunity to do some azimuthal highlighting. It shouldn't kill anything though, unless one or both primer layers are particularly thick.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Seems like a wasted opportunity to do some azimuthal highlighting. It shouldn't kill anything though, unless one or both primer layers are particularly thick.

I want to start Tyranids and use a ton of Termagants but it seems like the best way is to get them second hand. I did the math, and the cheapest you can get them new is like $1.50. I should be able to grab them for about .75-1.00 each used, but they might be primed black. I want to use white so I can just use washes to paint their flesh.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Ah well, then you probably do want to strip them first in that case.

Edit: are you aware that we have a painting thread?

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    I dislike building the Imperial Knight, although magnetizing it's torso was a joke.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I dislike building the Imperial Knight, although magnetizing it's torso was a joke.

You are terrible and have terrible opinions.

• Options
    Sounds like you're mad because you spent forever magnetizing something that took me less than 3 minutes.

• Options
    3 minutes huh? Amateur.

Disliking building is what makes you terrible. That thing is a joy.

• Options
    Yeah, not seeing a reason for hate? The Knight is one of the easiest to put together 'big' kits GW make.

Question though, what needs magnetising at all?

• Options
    Nothing, unless you want to be able to disassemble for easier transport.

• Options
    Its not difficult, it's just not enjoyable. I distinctly remember you crying about how hard it was to magnetize.

• Options
    Maybe the cannons? That required a tiny amount of effort as opposed to no effort like the torso.

Bring yours to NOVA, we'll use them as a dick measuring contest. As opposed to the many other literal dick-measuring contests that will happen at NOVA.

• Options
    Also I totally realized the list I posted upthread is only 1395 points. I have a few options.

Option 1

I could drop 2 scarabs and the Mindshackle Scarabs and fit a Triarch Stalker into the list.

Option 2

Add a 6th Wraith, upgrade Canoptek Spiders to be given fabricator claws, and add 1-2 Scarabs.

Option 3

Max Scarabs, add a 6th Wraith, throw on another piece of Wargear to my Overlord.

Thoughts?

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I like option 3. Mindshackle Scarabs are an auto-take in my mind, scarabs swarms are a pain in the ass and munch up vehicles without a second thought and another wraith means another body to help the squad make it to combat.

• Options
    I like option 3. Mindshackle Scarabs are an auto-take in my mind, scarabs swarms are a pain in the ass and munch up vehicles without a second thought and another wraith means another body to help the squad make it to combat.

what about option 2? it does more or less the same but will allow to repair vehicles and be extra annoying. Only diffence would be starting with 8 swarms as opposed to 10 (i will immediately spawn 2 anyway).

• Options

• Options
    Ah nevermind, option 3 it is.

• Options
    Also - I started building my Tyranid army. I started with about 60 Termagants. My next purchase is a bunch of big fucking space bugs. I am definitely throwing down on a Flyrant and a Tervignon, but what else? Do I grab a second Tervignon to spam the shit out of gants? My other idea is to grab a Trygon to get some backfield synapse support. Or an Exocrine to have some decent vehicle killing. Or Hive Guard.

HALP

(just trying to hit ~1000 points for the moment).

• Options
    1 Tervigon is fine. Trygons are really bad now. Carnifex with 2x TL devourers are the workhorse of the codex. Flyrants are the best thing in the book. Biovores are awesome, Exocrines are good if you use the living artillery formation. Haruspex is awful. Harpies and Crones are mediocre. Tyrannofex with the flamer is good. Mawlocs are hit or miss.

• Options
    Also, NOVA folks, what points are we playing at? I usually play at 2500, because I'm a big boy, but I know you ladies will likely prefer something between 1500-2000.

• Options

I figure it's likely we'll end up playing 2 vs 2 at some point which would add up to 3000.

• Options
    Eww. That's so few points. I don't even know how to make a list that small.

• Options
    So bring whatever you want, Mr. Bigshot.

• Options
    1 Tervigon is fine. Trygons are really bad now. Carnifex with 2x TL devourers are the workhorse of the codex. Flyrants are the best thing in the book. Biovores are awesome, Exocrines are good if you use the living artillery formation. Haruspex is awful. Harpies and Crones are mediocre. Tyrannofex with the flamer is good. Mawlocs are hit or miss.

Could I at least make an argument for 2? This is all theoryhammer, but I imagine my army kind of being just a giant blob with like 60 gants w/ devourers as my main screening unit. behind them, on either side, the Tervigons keep cranking out more gants. Behind that I planned on running two squads of warriors, 9 each, 1 with a Barbed Cannon thing (can't remeber the name at the moment), 2-3 more with Devourers, and the rest with bone swords. There would also be Venomthropes to provide cover saves, and Carnifexes blasting away.

I realize this is way above 1000 points but it was the idea I was using.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Back in 5th that may have been a pretty workable list.
    But Tervigons generally do not crank out that many gants, and they broods they do make are small and often pretty negligable. That, coupled with the heavy points cost of the Tervs themselves makes it a lot of points to achieve not very much. (It's worth noting that the Terv is bad at combat, has very little shooting and only mediocre psychic potential for like 200pts or whatever).

I personally would not take 2 as it doesn't really add anything to an army (beyond theming I suppose; if you think it would look cool to run 60+ gants and 2 tervigons (and it probably would) then by all means give it a go). A single Tervigon provides a tough, scoring, synapse unit which can make a good backfield lynchpin, two of them just means you have two lynchpins and 200 less points. (Although there is a case to be made for taking two Tervigons and then outflanking one of them via a Hive Tyrant's 'Hive Commander' ability, this puts a big, tough-ish monster and a brood of spawned gants up in your opponents face much earlier than normal, which can be pretty useful, although again, it is quite expensive).

Also I might make a case for making you big gant broods a mix of Devourers and Fleshborers; you're going to lose some gants before they get to shoot, it's pretty much a certainty given their low toughness and poor save; better of those are 4pt Fleshborer drones rather than expensive Devourer ones.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    So can we get a roll call of who all is doing NOVA so we can set up some PMs to try to coordinate?

Off the top of my head I know:
    Me
    @Gabriel_Pitt‌
    @Extreaminatus‌
    @TraceofToxin‌
    @3lwap0‌
    @HexDex‌

Did I miss anyone?

Bump!

I don't get out of work until 5:30 tomorrow, but I have a feeling things won't really be rolling until after that, anyway.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    What are people planning tomorrow? I fly out of Mississippi tomorrow morning, so probably will make it in the afternoon. (Unless I just jinxed it.) should I just stroll around with my toolbox full of x-wing and 40k? Leave it in the car? Also, should we start a pm with cell numbers so we can make contact?

• Options
    I dont get in until friday.

• Options
    I dont get in until friday.

We are less concerned about you than literally everyone else.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Ah, friendship.

Guys, I'm sorry about posting what I did earlier in the thread. I realize this wasn't the appropriate thread, but I wasn't thinking clearly at the time. Reading thru here has kept my mind occupied in the downtime in the last few days and I greatly appreciate that.

I look forward to hearing about your NOVA exploits, so please keep me posted here. And let me know how our army does in the auction.

EDIT: AND PICS!!! Lots and lots of pics.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I'd call it inappropriate. It's not like you were discussing female space marines or anything.

And I got me some tickets for that there Deathwatch army, so keep it safe for me (assuming a level of luck at games of chance that I've never before experienced).

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Don't worry, the only reason I'm going to NOVA is to steal the army from whoever wins it, then give it back a year later so they can understand what it's like to be part of the project.

• Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    I'm already checked in. Been seeing the sights here in DC. I'm not actually competing in any of the events, so I can meet up with you fine gents whenever!

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

This discussion has been closed.