As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A God Damned Separate Thread For Your Argument About Obamacare

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    If I added my wife I'd be over 400 a month.

If we had kids I'd be at 400 per paycheck.

Laboratories of Democracy/Free Markets at work!

It's interesting to see what everyone's costs are.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    God if I could go back to $400 a month I would feel a lot of stress be lifted off my shoulders but with daycare costing me $1600 a month and $1400 a month going to health insurance and then $1100 a month going to mortgage and another $500 going to student loans... There's just not a lot of money to spend on fun stuff anymore.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    God if I could go back to $400 a month I would feel a lot of stress be lifted off my shoulders but with daycare costing me $1600 a month and $1400 a month going to health insurance and then $1100 a month going to mortgage and another $500 going to student loans... There's just not a lot of money to spend on fun stuff anymore.

At $1400 a month you have to wonder if you'd be further in the black if you just sacked away the $1400 a month into a savings account for medical emergencies, never mind actually investing it.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I could see his HR being unfamiliar with it or with his HR effectively saying he wouldn't get anything they give to people who don't take their insurance plan and being unclear on that. What does he do if (hypothetically) his wife's job had an open enrollment period not in sync with his company? There has to be a way to cancel early.

There is, but you can't just cancel early because you want to cancel early. Open enrollment is meant to keep the subscriber pool stable and keep people from dropping in and out only when they are sick and need insurance. They absolutely can drop you outside of the open enrollment period if you have a qualifying life event. Getting another insurance policy of your own through the government exchange isn't one of those events. If your spouse got a new job and got a better package that you wanted instead, that would count. If your wife simply picked up the insurance from her current job and her enrollment period was out of sync, I don't believe that counts as a qualifying life event. EDIT: Poking around, it actually probably does qualify.

Those costs are... absurd. That has to be multiple kids in daycare right? Tell me that's for 2+ kids. Would you mind divulging which state you're in?

Cog on
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    I could see his HR being unfamiliar with it or with his HR effectively saying he wouldn't get anything they give to people who don't take their insurance plan and being unclear on that. What does he do if (hypothetically) his wife's job had an open enrollment period not in sync with his company? There has to be a way to cancel early.

There is, but you can't just cancel early because you want to cancel early. Open enrollment is meant to keep the subscriber pool stable and keep people from dropping in and out only when they are sick and need insurance. They absolutely can drop you outside of the open enrollment period if you have a qualifying life event. Getting another insurance policy of your own through the government exchange isn't one of those events. If your spouse got a new job and got a better package that you wanted instead, that would count. If your wife simply picked up the insurance from her current job and her enrollment period was out of sync, I don't believe that counts as a qualifying life event. EDIT: Poking around, it actually probably does qualify.

Those costs are... absurd. That has to be multiple kids in daycare right? Tell me that's for 2+ kids. Would you mind divulging which state you're in?

It depends greatly on where you live, but daycare costs are *very* expensive in the Northern Virginian area. My wife and I pay $500 a week for daycare for two children.

I will be happy when they go to college. It will be cheaper ;)

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015

I believe he noted it's a family of 4.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »

At $1400 a month you have to wonder if you'd be further in the black if you just sacked away the $1400 a month into a savings account for medical emergencies, never mind actually investing it.

ummm what

do you know what medical emergencies actually cost? You'd spend 1400 before you even got to the ER

• Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    zekebeau wrote: »
    Also, don't forget you might not be eligible for a subsidized rate because you do have employer insurance as an option. Don't know if the exchange price quote was assuming you got premium assistance or not, but good to double check.

You're only ineligible for the premium assistance if your employer coverage costs more than 9.5% of your income. At $1400 a month there's no way you're under that limit (and if you are, then you're making > 400% FPL and can't get a subsidy anyways).

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular

ummm what

do you know what medical emergencies actually cost? You'd spend 1400 before you even got to the ER

Yep, and you can't price them out beforehand. Even a mundane trip to the emergency room because a child is running a high fever, could cost you 4-5 grand or more out of pocket.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Roz wrote: »

ummm what

Yep, and you can't price them out beforehand. Even a mundane trip to the emergency room because a child is running a high fever, could cost you 4-5 grand or more out of pocket.

I had surgery last year, completely non-emergency and planned. Couldn't even get an order of magnitude of the price before hand. $1,000? $10,000? $100,000? No idea.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

I believe he noted it's a family of 4.

Yeah, me + wife + 2 chillin's.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Of course this is illegal now, and you'll pay a fine to the IRS for doing so.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular

ummm what

Which is more of a problem with how much hospitals are allowed to charge than being an advocate for insane insurance prices. I question the idea that you should be running to the ER for a mundane high fever as well, but I'm childless so I'm not sure what the best practices are. I know I never went to the ER for a fever as a child.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options

ummm what

Which is more of a problem with how much hospitals are allowed to charge than being an advocate for insane insurance prices. I question the idea that you should be running to the ER for a mundane high fever as well, but I'm childless so I'm not sure what the best practices are. I know I never went to the ER for a fever as a child.

An urgent care place would probably be best unless you needed an ambulance.

But they'll charge you 250 just to walk in the door most places if you don't have insurance.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2015

ummm what

I had surgery last year, completely non-emergency and planned. Couldn't even get an order of magnitude of the price before hand. $1,000? $10,000? $100,000? No idea.

My hospital is actually working on a pricing transparency initiative. They have an office people can call to get estimates. I wrote a few reports for them so that they can look up procedure codes or charges and see how much encounters where those occurred tended to total. There's still a lot of variation because random other stuff can always happen, but it's something. And it usually at least settles into a particular relatively small range, not spanning several orders of magnitude.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015

ummm what

A fever over 104 in young children can lead to permanent brain damage.

Maybe you should have gone heh heh heh

spool32 on
  • Options
    (that was a joke)

• Options
    Uh, 104º is pretty much everybody should be under immediate medical care kind of fever.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

Of course this is illegal now, and you'll pay a fine to the IRS for doing so.

It's also a terrible idea and a good way to end up in financial ruin for the poor and middle class so that's ok.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    071015krugman2-tmagArticle.png

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Thanks Obama!

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    071015krugman2-tmagArticle.png

HZe4vKy.png

(It's a good trend.

DAT Y-axis tho.)

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Circuit court weighs in that filling out a form is not a substantial burden on religious beliefs.

Let's see if we get ScotusCARE 3: This time it's Catholics again

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
  • Options
    Oh phew. That's not the hospital system I work for.
    I got worried there for a bit, particularly when the Al-Jazeera article incorrectly said Trinity was the largest.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    Every now and then a story pops up where a pregnant woman, in the US potentially dying in agony from a failing pregnancy, is denied healthcare because the hospital doesn't do abortions. I don't know if anyone has actually died but I have read about several different cases where care was delayed for hours, while they scrambled to find a doctor who would dare to even provide pain relief.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    There have been a couple protests around here related to Catholic hospitals merging with non. Naturally people go straight to the "religious bigotry!!!!one" line as the reason why it's been opposed.

Shit like that is the real reason. You go to a Catholic hospital there's a good chance you'll be stuck with Catholic doctrine and some of it is very very bad.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Someone in the Bernie thread mentioned the Cadillac Tax as a bad thing. I thought it was necessary to discourage super-premium plans which would drive up the price of health care because they have so much buying power?

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Someone in the Bernie thread mentioned the Cadillac Tax as a bad thing. I thought it was necessary to discourage super-premium plans which would drive up the price of health care because they have so much buying power?

It's bad, but not that bad?

I dunno. The Cadillac tax isn't in place yet and most employers have already adjusted to ensure they fall below that threshold. So what would it accomplish?

Maybe ensuring that a high bar exists, but even then I think that eliminating it and allowing employers to really go hog wild with health insurance as a benefit could only help us. We want an insurance floor, not necessarily an insurance ceiling.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

I think the problem with the Cadillac tax is that as health care costs go up, more "normal" people health plans provided by employers will fall under them, and normal people can't cope with the Cadillac tax.

• Options
    edited October 2015

That's only half of the issue. The other part is those super premium plans are compensation from employers to employees that are completely untaxed. Due to basic math, the government not taxing something at it's usual rate is the same as the government funding that thing at that rate. So these super expensive health plans that have negative effects on the system as a whole also are government subsidized.

Basically your average CEO can get $100,000 dollars worth of health care or $60,000 dollars in straight cash (after taxes). If he thinks he'll need $100,000 dollars of health insurance that is a ridiculously good deal for him. The Cadillac tax means he's choosing between $60,000 dollars worth of health care versus $60,000 dollars in straight cash which is no longer such an obviously good deal.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    The Cadillac tax has the potential to ease us off of employer provided insurance to everyone being on an exchange, more like Switzerland. But slowly as insurance inflation out prices regular inflation. So there isn't a single point where everyone has to adjust to everything being different. Which is kind of the second shoe of attacking 'job lock' that prevents people from having more bargaining power generally.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Saw this popping up on my FB feed, googling has given me nothing. Guessing there's more to the story or this is just outright fabricated.

10450978_1286878131453220_2279964431364158654_n.jpg?oh=c35d2a62187de45ae358d8b63ddae492&oe=56D224D5

http://twitchy.com/2015/10/15/obamacare-fines-starting-indiana-man-posts-notice-from-irs-for-2344-shared-responsibility-payment-screenshot/
    Mr. Miller writes in the post accompanying the pic that he didn’t buy Obamacare because his premiums jumped by over $1000 per month after his current insurance was cancelled:

Thanks Obama for the fine for not having insurance
    Because the the plan I had that was 398.00 a month for my family only increased to 1400.00 a month in 2014
    So I chose not to pay 1400.00 a month
    So got a nice little fine
    Thanks for the affordable care act.
    Thanks for making it so affordable!![/spoiler]

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Tommatt wrote: »
    Saw this popping up on my FB feed, googling has given me nothing. Guessing there's more to the story or this is just outright fabricated.

10450978_1286878131453220_2279964431364158654_n.jpg?oh=c35d2a62187de45ae358d8b63ddae492&oe=56D224D5

http://twitchy.com/2015/10/15/obamacare-fines-starting-indiana-man-posts-notice-from-irs-for-2344-shared-responsibility-payment-screenshot/
    Mr. Miller writes in the post accompanying the pic that he didn’t buy Obamacare because his premiums jumped by over $1000 per month after his current insurance was cancelled:

Because the the plan I had that was 398.00 a month for my family only increased to 1400.00 a month in 2014

It's probably accurate.

And to be frank, if this person genuinely did do a CBA he would have known this was coming. He paid 2400.00 once for the privilege of not having to pay for health insurance, knowing that in an emergency society would have picked up that bill in the ER.

TLDR

Fuck that selfish ass

jmcdonald on
  • Options
    Also note that 400 a month for a family is basically "We'll give your corpse some Tylenol" level of insurance.

• Options
    DunderDunder Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Tommatt wrote: »

I'm gonna go ahead and say this is the same as literally every other situation where people complained that the aca massively increased their premium: the guy picked the most expensive plan possible on the exchange and claimed it is the same as his old plan. That is the usual story once people start fact-checking.

I'm sure he cancelled and got the fine though, everyone knows there is a fine for not having insurance. hard to feel sorry for someone who got the shaft by trying to prove a political point.

Dunder on
  • Options
    The fine is also half what he would have paid for a year of his cheaper insurance.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Also note that 400 a month for a family is basically "We'll drop your corpse's coverage because Life is a pre-existing condition" level of insurance.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Wait

He posted a picture of his address on the internet?

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    Wait

He posted a picture of his address on the internet?

Apparently. Also what looks like a QR code there which may well have lots of hilarious information embedded in it.