As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Make my rogue awesome (3.5)

ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
edited October 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm playing D&D 3.5 and have a Rogue 5/Assassin 4 with money to blow. The DM is pretty easy-going as far as magic items - pay the list price in the DMG and you can find someone to make them. I'm having a hard time figuring out what to spend this money on, though. What I have so far:
+1 keen dagger
+2 flaming dagger
+2 mithril chain shirt (shadow, silent moves)
Cloak of resistance +3
Ring of sustenance
Ring of iron will
Gloves of Dexterity +2
Boots of striding and springing (gets me out of the Dwarf 20 speed hole)
Grey bag of tricks (good for trap finding!)
Gem of brightness (blinds)
Immovable rod
Various poisons, scrolls and potions, and a wand of cure light wounds.
Edit: Handy Haversack

My thoughts were increasing the bonus on the gloves or the chain shirt, but I'm looking for more creative ideas to stay alive. We're running Rappan Athuk, so survival is key (I and one other player are the only ones to have survived so far).

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
Shadowfire on

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    How much money and what sources are fair game?

The second is actually far far more important.

Edit: Initial thought, I would avoid further Keen stuff as it does very very little for you. A bonus 1d4+ some small number just isn't relevant. Do you use two weapons or simply have two weapons?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    An eversmoking bottle http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#eversmokingBottle is a steal at 5400gp. The important thing is that the fog breaks line of sight, which means you can no longer be targetted by any non AoE spell (The enemy can still fling a fireball to your general location). Depending on the GM you can also not be charged (It depends if you go along with 'can someone attempt to charge a square instead of a person', even then it's a 50% miss), and since you are a rogue you can hide in it and come out sneak attacking, if you find a way to see through the smoke. Lowlight/Darkvision/Light don't help btw.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Good points, @DevoutlyApathetic. I'm currently sitting on around 19,000 gold, and I'd prefer to stick with the DMG. Sources outside of that are often kind of sketchy, and he's approved pretty much everything in the book aside from Blink/ring of blinking (too much to keep track of).
    The keen dagger isn't that big a deal, but I do dual-wield when I can. If I can get a flank in, and I'm not fighting something that can take my entire health pool in one round I'll flank and dual-wield. Otherwise, I'm working my way toward spring attack.
    That eversmoking bottle isn't a bad idea except I can already cast Obscuring Mist. It may not be as big an area, but that large an area could hinder the party as well as it helps me.
    Also: added Handy Haversack to the list since I forgot about it. The group also has a portable hole and a brazier of commanding fire elementals at its disposal that we found in the dungeon.

• Options
    Boring but probably most effective option: Upgrade the gloves to +4.

Just out of reach and still kinda boring but effective: Cloak of Displacement, Minor. Pretty much a constant 20% miss chance for stuff attacking you. Can help when you're caught in melee.

Also just out of reach and not as good as it sounds but still classic: Ring of invisibility. It's a standard to activate and only lasts three minutes but it's on demand invisibility. This certainly isn't bad.

Still just out of reach and absolutely as good as it sounds: Wand of Greater Invisibility. Stab people with sneak attack all day, every day. Well, the next 50 combats anyways.

Man, with just a little more gold most of those become options. Maybe offer free somethings to party mates for a short term loan of a couple grand.

• Options
    The cloak is a pretty great idea, really. Only concern - I'd be dropping the cloak of resistance, and that has bailed me out a lot (tons of will and fort saves in the dungeon). I can also cast invisibility already (along with ghost sound, obscuring mist, feather fall, and spider climb), and I'll get greater invisibility in a couple more levels. Still, the wand might be really nice... hrm...

• Options
    There really isn't any way to alleviate that in just the DMG unless you break out the custom magic item creation rules. Neck shares the "protection" affinity so that'd be an easy sell. In further books they added "Vests of Resistance" to address this but by the DMG it doesn't have the right body "flavor".

Which reminds me, a con boost is always good as you approach higher levels. Right now a +2 to Con (in the amulet slot I believe) is 9 hit points. That's not shabby for 4k.

• Options
    That would also give me a +1 to fort saves. Hrm... that's a possibility too. Thanks for that. :)