As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Forza] Thread Has Hit A Tire Wall

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Bloodsheed wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Strongly considering just going to buy another disc or digitally. Looked for another hour last night and I just don't know where that fucking thing is. It's incredible.

:(

Have you tried an interrogation lamp and the cat?

He'll never crack!

edit: was about 20 minutes from buying a digital copy but i finally found the god damned thing.

stupid discs.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Kestrel1Kestrel1 falco sparverius Noblesville, INRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZfpdwGM6Gw

AMC Rebel and 2015 Z06?

Hot diggity.

Now, if I only had time to actually play...

Kestrel1.png
    Mixer: Kestrel1 | Twitch: KestrelTV
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Man, whoever is in charge of their release material almost certainly deserves to get paid more. The car pack trailers are different every time, but universally beautiful.

• Options
    ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    I have yet to pick up 5 yet, so I won't be on tonight, and I'm working Thursday night so I'll see you guys next week.

Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    The list, if anyone wants it:
    2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    1953 Chevrolet Corvette
    1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    2015 Audi TTS Coupé
    1970 AMC Rebel "The Machine"
    May Free Car - 1992 Bugatti EB110 Super Sport

I may pick it up next week. A couple in there look quite fun.

I would probably pick it up sooner, but my video game driving budget went into DiRT Rally this week. As has my time. And my hands. And portions of my sanity. It's really, really fun if you're at all interested in Rally stages. It also hits almost the exact same "Sim Balance" as Forza (more than one "review", it's Early Access, has outright called it "the Forza Motorsport of Rally"), though it lacks rewinds and you can't really repair between stages, so there is some real survival/endurance worries you have to content with, hence the difficulty.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    I thought dirt games had some form of rewind... it's codemasters right?

Maybe it's just because early access still.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options

They used to, they specifically cut it to make this one more challenging. This is basically a reboot from their last couple of more-arcadey DiRT games (which were... lets say not well received) with a more sim push. There's still a "Recover Car" option, with time penalty, for when you go sailing off a cliff/into a forest. Which happens... often. The "roads" you're racing on generally feel like they are about 1/2 a car wide and usually involve the inside edge being a sheer wall or ditch and the outside not existing because it is a straight vertical drop with zero runoff and no guard wall (which don't help when they do show up, because generally if you clip one at any speed your car is going to pop up and over it). Also 90% of all corners are blind, there is no mini-map and you have to depend on catching your co-driver calls (which is insanely well implemented).

I am looking forward to the comparative safety and forgiveness of whatever Forza we run tonight. Also grip. Grip will be good.

• Options

They used to, they specifically cut it to make this one more challenging. This is basically a reboot from their last couple of more-arcadey DiRT games (which were... lets say not well received) with a more sim push. There's still a "Recover Car" option, with time penalty, for when you go sailing off a cliff/into a forest. Which happens... often. The "roads" you're racing on generally feel like they are about 1/2 a car wide and usually involve the inside edge being a sheer wall or ditch and the outside not existing because it is a straight vertical drop with zero runoff and no guard wall (which don't help when they do show up, because generally if you clip one at any speed your car is going to pop up and over it). Also 90% of all corners are blind, there is no mini-map and you have to depend on catching your co-driver calls (which is insanely well implemented).

I am looking forward to the comparative safety and forgiveness of whatever Forza we run tonight. Also grip. Grip will be good.

BTW Sorry you're trapped in an Ariel Atom until FM6.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015

I can't tell, is that a yay or nay for purchase? Wait for a sale or get it while the getting is good? Any multi worth a damn?

Veevee on
  • Options

You monster.
    Veevee wrote: »

I can't tell, is that a yay or nay for purchase? Wait for a sale or get it while the getting is good? Any multi worth a damn?

I'm loving it, but it is in a way I imagine some people who are not me love Dark Souls games. It's a great challenge and fun even when you smash your radiator in for a second stage in a row and have to run for the finish hoping your engine doesn't explode. I would suggest if anyone is interested check out some YouTube looks at it, that's what I did. They have a nice plan for rolling out more content, Pikes Peak and Hillclimbs are coming at the end of the month.

Multi is all leaderboard stuff, at least for now (makes sense, since that's all Rally is). They have Daily, Weekly and Monthly events where you get one shot, no restarts, at setting a time on a stage/event and get rewards based on how you place.

• Options

You monster.
    Veevee wrote: »

I'm loving it, but it is in a way I imagine some people who are not me love Dark Souls games. It's a great challenge and fun even when you smash your radiator in for a second stage in a row and have to run for the finish hoping your engine doesn't explode. I would suggest if anyone is interested check out some YouTube looks at it, that's what I did. They have a nice plan for rolling out more content, Pikes Peak and Hillclimbs are coming at the end of the month.

Multi is all leaderboard stuff, at least for now (makes sense, since that's all Rally is). They have Daily, Weekly and Monthly events where you get one shot, no restarts, at setting a time on a stage/event and get rewards based on how you place.

Sounds almost like a roguelike in racing form, especially those daily/weekly/monthly events, and you description sounds like I'll like it a lot. I'll have to put it on my radar and see how it pans out.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    So, since we're back in 5 for the moment, any interest in something... *gasp*... organized? Perhaps with a SBC heading? Michel gave a couple of options (so blame him for these):

Option A:
    1980s B Class Open
    Which, dropping a few cars for too high PI or OPness would give a list of (* for DLC):
    1980 Abarth Fiat 131*
    1986 Alfa Romeo GTV-6*
    1986 Alfa Romeo Spider Quadrifoglio Verde*
    1983 Audi Sport quattro
    1981 BMW M1
    1987 Buick Regal GNX
    1987 Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500*
    1984 Honda Civic CRX Mugen*
    1982 Lancia 037 Stradale
    1986 Lancia Delta S4
    1985 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE*
    1984 Peugeot 205 T16*
    1987 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am GTA*
    1980 Renault 5 Turbo*
    1989 Toyota MR2 SC*
    1985 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT Apex
    1984 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI
    1981 Volkswagen Scirocco S*

Option B:
    Stock PI Challenge
    For something completely different. Basically, we'd take a small PI range and pick cars which are bone stock in that range with zero upgrades or tuning. The example he gave was PI 590-600 (which I think is a bit high for this, but you get the idea), which would give us:
    2012 Jag XKR-S
    1952 Ferrari 375*
    2012 Camaro ZL1
    2013 BMW M6 Coupe*
    2013 Mercedes E63 AMG*
    2014 Audi RS7 Sportback
    1966 Ford GT40 Mk II
    2013 Ford Shelby GT500

Or any other suggestions/ideas anyone would like to put up. Figure we can discuss and figure something if people are interested.

Bloodsheed on
  • Options
    I like option A.

Mostly because I had a shitload of fun in that Fiat 131 on Bathurst and want to drive it more.

Also zero upgrades and tuning is yes I would like to understeer into every wall in the world.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I don't particularly like any of the vehicles in option B. If all of those had tunable shocks, camber, and rollbar that might not be as bad, but I'm not sure if all(or any) of those vehicles would have that stock. I just imagine the Ferrari and the GT40 being hilariously bad compared to the modern cars. Option A certainly has more interesting stuff to choose from IMO.

If possible, I would like to keep up the two ~20 minute events a night thing we had going for a while. I like that if you royally fuck up in one you aren't completely screwed for the rest of the night.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Obviously I'm Biased.
    Whatever happens happens.

This is confusing. Option A is B class. And option B is, well, option B. (I have no idea what class those cars are in)

Which "B" were you referring to the class or the option?

Edit: My reading comprehension skills are poor. I didn't notice that Eclibul's post had an example of 590-600 PI. Wah-Wah *sad charlie brown song*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oabcM9SOF-E

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    Option B might be getting a bad rap for that particular example. Let's instead say 490-500, which would give:
    2015 Audi S3 Sedan*
    2011 BMW Z4 sDrive35is
    1995 Chevrolet Corvette C4 ZR-1*
    2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392
    1991 Ferrari 512 TR
    2007 Ford Shelby GT500
    2005 Honda NSX-R
    1939 Maserati 8CTF*
    1961 Maserati Tipo 61 Birdcage*
    2013 Mercedes A45 AMG*
    2010 Nissan 370Z

Probably would need to cut the Maserati's for balance/drivability reasons, but top of C class un-tuned is probably a better example than top of A.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Also, I probably won't be on tonight. Hopefully Michael has initiated his plan to throw a brick with $30 attached to it through Ebo's window.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Aaaaand Live appears to be borked. At least for me, Friends is not functioning. So much fire. Even game chat is sort of functioning in odd and stupid ways.

Bloodsheed on
  • Options
    I want http://media.giphy.com/media/WzLsZENLbKeBO/giphy.gif on the xbox live status page tonight.

that might actually be a bit too high quality for the look i'm thinking of, but I'll allow it for now.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So I grabbed VIP for Horizon because yeah, 2x rewards right? I've been playing it a lot lately, and sure why not...plus some free cars. Except I don't seem to be getting 2x anything. Not CR, not XP, not skill XP. I have the crown next to my name, I got the gift cars...but seems to be a no go on the actual reason I wanted VIP. Did I miss some fine print? Does it just take a bit to go active?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So I grabbed VIP for Horizon because yeah, 2x rewards right? I've been playing it a lot lately, and sure why not...plus some free cars. Except I don't seem to be getting 2x anything. Not CR, not XP, not skill XP. I have the crown next to my name, I got the gift cars...but seems to be a no go on the actual reason I wanted VIP. Did I miss some fine print? Does it just take a bit to go active?

I think the double is the wheelspins? I forget in FH2 if anything else is doubled...

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    mollehmolleh Registered User regular
    Yeah it's just the wheelspins.. when you get a wheelspin it should show the little crowns in the background and I think it says "VIP Wheelspin" on the screen somewhere, but it's been a while since I played.

• Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Sup guys. Yeah I definately am not going to spend the money on a Xbox One + Forza 6 + wheel anytime soon (well, ever..) I built a new computer 6 months ago for Project CARS and GTA V and despite both being delayed constantly they have definately delivered.

Also the more things change the more they stay the same.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    @Basticle how are you liking Project Cars? Is it more simmy than forza but less than iRacing? Do all the people you race with use wheels or do some people use controllers?

• Options
    @Basticle how are you liking Project Cars? Is it more simmy than forza but less than iRacing? Do all the people you race with use wheels or do some people use controllers?

I was going to buy it, but everything i've seen is that their controller handling is not good. especially compared to forza, which is like 95% of the reason I like forza so much.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    If your curious, you can get it for 20% off through greenman gaming using the voucher HAPPY5-THBIRT-HDAY20 bringing it down from $50 to $40

I was bad and downloaded it last night and played a couple hours this morning. It's definitely got a better simulation than Forza, which makes it harder for controller players. Especially the first couple laps when tires are cold; it's impossible to drive straight with a controller then. Once the tires warm up and the handling really kicks in it feels great, even with a controller.

With this voucher I think I'm going to try and convince the misses to let me frivolously spend some money.

Edit: And it's purchased and downloading. Why am I such a glutton for racing sims?

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Who am I kidding? I barely have enough time for Forza.
    I wish I had the time to play other things and only then I could justify buying a wheel.

Right now I get to spend my sweet sweet money on foundation repairs. Yay being an adult!

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular

I was going to buy it, but everything i've seen is that their controller handling is not good. especially compared to forza, which is like 95% of the reason I like forza so much.
    I play it with an Xbox controller and had to turn the sensitivity way down. When you get on long straightaways it's really noticeable as you constantly have to make corrections to stay in your line.

• Options
    edited May 2015

Theres a ton of options you can change both for a wheel and a controller and while I use a wheel everyone I've talked to has said once they adjusted it to their liking it handles amazingly.

I'd recommend taking this to the Project CARS thread but heres a gif I made of me driving a Hyuarararara at Imola in the rain http://gfycat.com/RadiantNervousDikkops

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Basticle wrote: »
    I'd recommend taking this to the Project CARS thread but heres a gif I made of me driving a Hyuarararara at Imola in the rain http://gfycat.com/RadiantNervousDikkops

shhhhhhh there is only one video game racing thread.
    alternatively "there can be only one racing thread" *insert some sort of Highlander music*

• Options
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

I play it with an Xbox controller and had to turn the sensitivity way down. When you get on long straightaways it's really noticeable as you constantly have to make corrections to stay in your line.

yea, that sounds horrible. i can understand if that is one of the options like forza sim steering on controller, but you need an better mode in a modern simlite racer. controllers aren't wheels and making analog sticks drive correctly is sort of an art that pcars seems to have put 2 seconds into and said ok we're done.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Now, the question of our time:

Is Live Not On Fire This Week?

• Options
    So, I think it's decided that we'll be running the 80's cars at B class for our return to SBC. Here's the car list again (* for DLC):
    1980 Abarth Fiat 131*
    1986 Alfa Romeo GTV-6*
    1986 Alfa Romeo Spider Quadrifoglio Verde*
    1983 Audi Sport quattro
    1981 BMW M1
    1987 Buick Regal GNX
    1987 Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500*
    1984 Honda Civic CRX Mugen*
    1982 Lancia 037 Stradale
    1986 Lancia Delta S4
    1985 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE*
    1984 Peugeot 205 T16*
    1987 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am GTA*
    1980 Renault 5 Turbo*
    1989 Toyota MR2 SC*
    1985 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT Apex
    1984 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI
    1981 Volkswagen Scirocco S*

Max PI: B600
    Required parts: Full Roll Cage
    Banned parts: Engine or Drivetrain Swaps

Figure we can maybe do some shakedown next Thursday. I'll figure out a track list before then.

• Options
    MegaPureiboiMegaPureiboi Registered User regular
    This is awesome:
    WTCC on the Nurburgring 24hr layout.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr-6qgtk3_w

Xbox Live: Keml0
    Steam: Kemlo
  • Options
    I was doing a p cars night nurburgring race with goons (since thats happening right now) and if Forza 6 has night racing, this is the terror you can look forward to

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    This is awesome:
    WTCC on the Nurburgring 24hr layout.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr-6qgtk3_w

Ah weird, it cuts off that second section up the hill after the GP start finish straight. Does the 24hrs do that too?

They also still use the old final chicane, give it back to meeeeeee.

edit: also i like the euphemism it's gone and it's won't come back for that guy totally lost the tail in the GP section.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    MegaPureiboiMegaPureiboi Registered User regular
    Here is race 2 of the WTCC on the ring, better than the first.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdTIF2R8VpU

Also I've built and tuned a Scirocco. FWD FTW

Xbox Live: Keml0
    Steam: Kemlo
  • Options
    I am prepared.

0m855rk9t0ca.jpg

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    jesus christo

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png