As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Heroes of the Storm] Artifacts removed. And there was much rejoicing!

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    You know, I wonder if instead of having talent gating "protecting the new players", they could instead do some "Recommended Talent Builds." Have it bring up a pop-up before the game asking what kind of build you want to go for (DPS, tank, support, etc), and then have it automatically suggest/pick the talent when you level up and tell you why it picked it.

Unless something like that is already in.

The hilarious/sad part of this is they've said it's not to "protect new players", it's to have "cool things to unlock". They've said if they really want to protect new players, they'd just shift talent gating back to profile level.

LOGIC. :rotate:

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    fighting over the watchtower exists because the team that wins that fight traditionally wins the top treasure chest and two lanes of xp (because no one ever goes top lane if the enemy controls the watchtower for some reason)

honestly BB should probably be a two lane map, that top lane is empty like 80% of the time

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Ugh. I don't like it when "my characters" are free. Free Zagara kills my desire to play her this week. I know it's just a stupid mental thing, and probably a bit elitist too, but I just have something against playing free Heroes, even if they are ones who I play even when they aren't free.

Maybe once I have her master skin it will be different, because people will know that I've put the time into her. But right now there's no way to distinguish myself from some random schmoe who has put 3-4 games into her.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Ugh. I don't like it when "my characters" are free. Free Zagara kills my desire to play her this week. I know it's just a stupid mental thing, and probably a bit elitist too, but I just have something against playing free Heroes, even if they are ones who I play even when they aren't free.

Maybe once I have her master skin it will be different, because people will know that I've put the time into her. But right now there's no way to distinguish myself from some random schmoe who has put 3-4 games into her.

i don't usually play arthas during the weeks that he is free. but that was because queues were astoundingly long. i've changed stances recently since the queue times seem independant of that when in a group.

re-talent gating: it is true they thought it would be analogous to perks in an FPS or things similar to that. instead you feel hobbled. i guess this was the least resource intensive option (they could've gone with actual "perks" that changed how abilities/talents behave, unique spell effects/visuals, others hats/skins, etc) and that's why it went in.

re-blackheart's bay: that top lane generally is empty. but it is tough to claim early on since you'd have to run to the treasure chest and risk being way out of position and prior to that the minions aren't there for a while so you are left with standing around doing nothing or participating in the inevitable skirmish over the watchtower. at least most games people don't complain when someone goes bottom lane.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular

I agree, but for a different reason. I tend to leave the free rotation heroes alone because I know at least 2 or 3 of them will be in most of the games I play - and I can bring something to the table others on my team might not have access to.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options

Nah, I totally feel the same way. And it's strange, because I know what should set me apart from other people playing that Hero is my skill. But I can't help but feel like it all gets lost because there's a sea of Kerrigans, or Vallas, or whoever that week.

I have zero issues playing the free heroes in a given week (actually, scratch that, talent gating kills my desire to play the f2p heroes), but if it's one that I play a lot... yeah, I dunno. It's a weird dumb mental thing, yeah. I just like to set myself apart from everyone else in solo queue. Dunno.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    On the plus side, Illidan is no longer free. Maybe I should dump a bunch of games into him while the Lifesteal is good.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    So, I just got into the alpha. I want to like the game, but the talent gating is super bullshit and I'm earning gold so damn slowly. I really wonder how much time they expect people to sink into this to get to a point where it's actually enjoyable.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    that's what skin tint 3 is for!

also kerrigan nova.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    So, I just got into the alpha. I want to like the game, but the talent gating is super bullshit and I'm earning gold so damn slowly. I really wonder how much time they expect people to sink into this to get to a point where it's actually enjoyable.

Yeah, I expect these policies to not last as long, so just try to give the game a fresh start when that happens. It's normally fun, honest!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    you must be mistaken unlocking things is fun friend :)

everyone loves unlocking things

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    In the Dev Q&A, Dustin Browder said they're working a 4 week patch cycle, which seems about right from what we've experienced. Any changes that come are still at least 3 weeks out. We're one week into the Bullshit Patch.

• Options
    I'm quite enjoying "Friend INANTP"

Steam profile
  • Options
    if you spend money in our store you will unlock a special mount

one day

maybe

it is nice we promise friend

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Did they ever even officially validate that? I know we have that leaked splash image from several months back. But I don't remember ever seeing anything official about the mount unlock (or the beta buy-in).

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Telling the community they will be re-releasing old bundles "at some point" baffles me. Why would I want to buy any of the current bundles when I know I will have access to much better ones that I missed out on?

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    Telling the community they will be re-releasing old bundles "at some point" baffles me. Why would I want to buy any of the current bundles when I know I will have access to much better ones that I missed out on?

because the stuff is all going to be reset anyway i guess.

personally i still need to buy the wow expansion so any money i toss into heroes can always be used for wow crap later if i decide everything is garbage.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options

i am confused as well about this. mostly because if everything is going to be reset, who cares what bundles are for sale?

• Options
    well ideally they would put out new, good bundles

too bad they want to make too much money to do that lol

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    It generally doesn't give me the burst I like to have with Envenom. Additionally it effectively only helps one skill(Slime), as despite the intention for Pufferfish to be useful in teamfights, since they broke damage dealers so much with this patch teamfights are usually over before it even has a chance to detonate. Total waste. (Also tank chars can just totally ignore it now)

However if it's a stupidly bulky team that can either artifact-ignore anything I do(tanks/Rehgar) and/or kill me before I can even approach them to do anything significant(Hammer), then yeah I'll go Gathering Power instead and just harass towers down. (Which Murky is actually still surprisingly competent at doing with Slime/Basic attacks behind minion cover)

honestly i have found envenom lacking recently, at least on murky (i still get it on arthas). it certainly feels as though i am cranking out more damage with gathering power since the stacks only reset on "real" death. combined with the ability power relic it seems pretty solid, or you could go CD reduction to just spam slime everywhere.

i agree about the pufferfish being worthless currently though.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    fighting over the watchtower exists because the team that wins that fight traditionally wins the top treasure chest and two lanes of xp (because no one ever goes top lane if the enemy controls the watchtower for some reason)

honestly BB should probably be a two lane map, that top lane is empty like 80% of the time

I think the reason is that it's very dangerous if you don't control the watchtower if you're squishy. Enemy will easily see you're alone and gank you. Plus it's generally just far from the chests/turn-in. Watchtower is also good for seeing when the enemy team is going for golem late-game (and if you don't control it, you will definitely not survive the ganking when their team goes past the top lane on the way)

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Dracil wrote: »

I think the reason is that it's very dangerous if you don't control the watchtower if you're squishy. Enemy will easily see you're alone and gank you.

i think this can be mitigatedearly just by playing safe and hugging the golem area.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I think they can see you from their minions, but they will also see the rest of your team is probably not there. With most other maps, the areas next to the lanes are not visible from the watchtowers, so they can't be entirely sure you don't have teammates waiting in ambush.

Dracil on
  • Options
    It's still not worth the crapshoot of an all-out teamfight in the first 15 seconds of that map every time.

Just let the other team have it, gain extra EXP for a minute, then grab it later when they aren't camping anymore.

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I dunno, the times when the enemy team doesn't contest the watchtower, the deathball just moves on to the lanes and ganks the separated laners instead, and they'll probably still absorb xp from the relatively untouched minions at that point.

Dracil on
  • Options
    Well, that's entirely separate from the watchtower, that's the other team deciding to group up and deathball. That's a strategy your team should be able to handle on any map.

Steam profile
  • Options
    I think they can see you from their minions, but they will also see the rest of your team is probably not there. With most other maps, the areas next to the lanes are not visible from the watchtowers, so they can't be entirely sure you don't have teammates waiting in ambush.

they definitely can, but if they are busy chasing you in a deathball until the first chest you are hopefully gaining an XP advantage from the tug of war swapping top and middle lanes. then ideally even if they do take the top chest uncontested, you all converge on the turn-in point. you likely have all 5 coins from the bottom chest and are up in XP so even if you don't crash on them at blackbeard you could still just out farm.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    For whatever reason, Illidan and Tychus are still part of the free rotation.

Also, a four-week patch cycle for a new moba is, well, I guess what I should expect from the one company that can give Valve Time a run for its money.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    It feels weird to constrain yourself to a specific patch cycle, but whatever...

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited July 2014

they definitely can, but if they are busy chasing you in a deathball until the first chest you are hopefully gaining an XP advantage from the tug of war swapping top and middle lanes. then ideally even if they do take the top chest uncontested, you all converge on the turn-in point. you likely have all 5 coins from the bottom chest and are up in XP so even if you don't crash on them at blackbeard you could still just out farm.

I think it's sort of that you get pushed out of your lanes by the deathballs, so they end up being the ones farming the top two lanes as well as all the doubloon camps while you have to hide behind the towers inefficiently killing minions. It's not like they have to stay as a deathball the entire time. Just establish dominance and keep you out of the lanes and doubloon camps unless you port back and lose XP as you heal and run back.

(Note, I generally don't see all-in on the watchtower, usually both teams send 1 guy to to the bottom)

Dracil on
  • Options
    Also, we don't need four weeks to determine if these changes are bad or not.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    If they are able to deathball two lanes, even on that map, that's probably the fault of your team. You should be able to at least grab most of the experience from those lanes, plus the one on the bottom, which means you should be ahead. Even if they get a slight coin advantage in the beginning from that, they can't sustain it.

Edit: I mean, this is mostly theoretical since I actually don't get that map too often.

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    honestly if they are able to deathball two lanes it's one of those games where you just lost right off the bat because the game has no skill-based matchmaking

there's gonna be a lot of those games right now and you just have to shrug it off

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    one good thing i'll say about this patch is everything feels way more responsive, playing sonya is so much better with less clunky slams

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Yknow, people kept talking about input lag and all that prior to the patch, and I never noticed anything like that before. And I don't really notice anything now after the patch?

Maybe I just wasn't paying attention to "responsiveness" but I honestly don't really notice anything different.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    so my pajamathur skin is locked behind hero levels. i have access to the train "pattern" but not the plane or zerg one. lol?

• Options
    When you buy a skin, it has one default tint. You unlock the other tints via hero levels (which also unlock tints for other skins of that hero).

If you had the tints prior to the patch, then you'll be happy to know that the SUPER FUN progression system made it so that maxing out all of your hero quests in the previous patch equates to only level 7 in the new path. On the plus side, you get to experience the FUN of unlocking them again. Because unlocking shit is fun, fun, FUN! Our focus group told us so!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    "Yeah I got something you can unlock - Here, turn the key!"

But seriously though, I saw someone use a rather creative tactic yesterday to kill opposing Abathurs or Murky eggs hidden behind forts. Apparently since Abathur's attacks don't break cloak on cloaked characters, you can have a cloaked player mount up to the opposing Abathur/egg and just sit there while their teammate's hat spikes him to death without the towers/forts reacting.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    When you buy a skin, it has one default tint. You unlock the other tints via hero levels (which also unlock tints for other skins of that hero).

If you had the tints prior to the patch, then you'll be happy to know that the SUPER FUN progression system made it so that maxing out all of your hero quests in the previous patch equates to only level 7 in the new path. On the plus side, you get to experience the FUN of unlocking them again. Because unlocking shit is fun, fun, FUN! Our focus group told us so!

amusingly, i thought this system works fine from a restart for mount and skin tints. much better than the old games based system. it's crappy to lose ones you already earned, but alphas gonna alpha.

whole thing is crap for talents though, yea.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    So I found out today that Brightwing is actually somewhat decent despite talent gating. You have access to Shield at level 4, Regenerative Rains at 7, Phase Shield at 13, and Critterize/Hardened Focus at 16. Yeah, you'll lack level 20 talents and need to unlock Blink Heal, but I still was able to make things happen because her basic talents are actually pretty good.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
This discussion has been closed.