As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Assassin's Creed] Syndicate is out and is apparently pretty damn good

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I don't think Haytham Kenway was ever an Assassin.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    He was trained as one by his dad, the AC4 guy, whose name escapes me atm

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    He was very young when he was converted to the templar order though.

All in all, I think Haytham was more templar than he ever was assassin.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    Trained, but never was one.

So, maybe? We'll see I guess.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    And with the templar game, as DOA as it will be thanks to last-gen and no-pc, maybe, just maybe we can move form 'Assassins GUD! Templars BAD!' dichotomy to something more like oh hey these two groups just have different philosophies.

I would not be shocked at all if Rogue sells more than Unity. So I have no idea where this "DOA" idea comes from.

Also, there's no PC version because they aren't going to release Unity and Rogue for the same platform, around the same day. How would that even work?

Maybe by next May or so they'll do a port if Rogue was successful on consoles.

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    They barely manage to get one AC game to the PC each year within a month of launch. If Rogue makes it, it'll definitely be next year.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I'll wait. Having played a seafaring AC on both PS3 and PC I'm only interested in PC. I'm sure it will get a Liberation-style release, at least I sincerely hope so.

And watching the trailer it's clearly not Haytham. Is he supposed to be Welsh? Did Edward Kenway have another son maybe?

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    The character's name in Rogue is Shay Patrick Cormac.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Rogue will certainly come to PC, just not at the same time as Unity. That's pretty obvious.

Though, if I were given a choice between an AC with naval stuff or without, I'm gonna go with "with." It's just too good and I want more of it.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    This is probably by the team that ported the Vita game to PS3. Either way I'm intrigued.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I'm hearing some interesting stuff about the Arctic open world that strikes my fancy. Like blasting open ice burgs and leaving trails of flaming oil as a weapon.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    With Rogue just announced I could really go for some pirate action right now, so I figured I'd replay my favorite parts of AC IV.

Turns out that aside from story missions the only thing you can replay is Naval contracts and the Templar key missions. You can't replay the legendary ship battles or assassination contracts.

That's really disappointing. I hope that they learn from that and make as much as possible replayable in Rogue/Unity. I think I heard something about Far Cry 3 having a feature to reset bases or something, I wouldn't mind such a feature for legendary ships, navel bases and assasin contracts.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I just play it again. The need to take on ships to build up yours is the most fun part of the game to me. Once you have no need for money anymore I get a bit bored.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    I just play it again. The need to take on ships to build up yours is the most fun part of the game to me. Once you have no need for money anymore I get a bit bored.

I can see that. Thing is the after-game isn't entirely bad. You still have warehouses to raid and enough tools to make that fun, as well as ships to raid and animals to hunt. The social events would be a neat addition if they didn't nuke their spawn chance into oblivion. If there were recurring assassinations on land and recurring "ship" assassinations (with unique ships like the legendaries and unique objectives for a great reward) I think I'd actually be completely content.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I think I just played it sooooo much I needed a break.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Even after fully upgrading Adéwalé and the Experto Crede and being able to get free gear from vendors, I still can't resist the urge to loot my victims. That guard might have a rope dart!

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Does the Freedom Cry DLC on Steam show up as installed for everybody, even if you don't own it? When I bought the base game off Amazon, I was surprised to see this:
    6tyh9ozt0nmj.jpg

I was a bit sad when I realized I didn't actually get Freedom Cry as a bonus, but oh well. I'm still not quite ready for more AC4 after playing through the game last month.

ac4.jpg 20.1K
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    It's currently not installed but I will be doing a super crazy no ingame map no health no ui run at some point. I'm gonna print off a major landmark only world map and do it by hand.

I like doing no health, armor, medicine etc runs of these games. Really makes you break out the mean stuff more and feel less cheap about it.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    That's one thing I missed about watchdogs. They even have the neat AR GPS thing, but no way to turn off the map

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Assassin's Creed Rogue gameplay demonstration videos have been released.

Arctic Naval gameplay:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6M_jpmLydw

River Valley Land Gameplay:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG-ImjoPCAM

Looks to be Assassin's Creed: Black Flag Too. A few differences in gameplay here, with some different naval weapons which appear to replace stuff from Black Flag. The fight with the assassin in the land gameplay video looked a little interesting too, although I could also see it getting annoying.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    The fight against the assassin looked annoying as shit. Gonna have no qualms about hunting the brotherhood after that.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Disappointing. Some new weapons and tiny alterations, nothing more. This was a chance to experiment a little and try out some major differences in gameplay, but it looks like they're still too afraid to change the tried and true formula much.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I think Unity is going to be the big shake things up one, gameplay wise.

Rouge looks like a cash in. Very same-y to AC4. I just how the local and story are good.

• Options
    It was at least nice to see that Haytham is hanging out on your ship. But yeah, it's pretty samey. I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually, but like Black Flag, I'll be waiting on a sale.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    It was at least nice to see that Haytham is hanging out on your ship. But yeah, it's pretty samey. I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually, but like Black Flag, I'll be waiting on a sale.

Black Sail expanded on the sailing enough to keep me interested. Plus I really liked the locations, and playing as a pirate just has an innate charm.

To be fair I also like the setting of Rogue, and the weapon additions are neat, especially the forward facing cannons, or the gas mask, or the air rifle - that's what you'd expect from the Templars since they're usually much better equipped than Assassins.

steam_sig.png

• Options

Rouge looks like a cash in. Very same-y to AC4. I just how the local and story are good.

*Rogue. Rouge and Rogue mean two completely different things.

It looks like Rogue is being made as a game for people who haven't bought new consoles (or just have PC and really like Black Flag) and really liked Black Flag and want more gameplay like it, which a lot of people really do. It'd be really disappointing to a lot of people to have a new AC game without any of the naval stuff.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    Rogue is going to give me the option to fire on Canadian ports. I don't know how I feel about that, I've never fired on my homeland before.

• Options
    Frei wrote: »

It looks like Rogue is being made as a game for people who haven't bought new consoles (or just have PC and really like Black Flag) and really liked Black Flag and want more gameplay like it, which a lot of people really do. It'd be really disappointing to a lot of people to have a new AC game without any of the naval stuff.

I've gone rogue on the English language.

Rebel 4 lyfe

• Options

I've gone rogue on the English language.

Rebel 4 lyfe

I got rouge all over the English language.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I thought rogue would put you more in a leadership role than it looked. I figured that because the templars sure like their cronies/meat shields/expendables it would be like ship-to-ship crew fights but on land and better developed.

At least it has penguins. BF didn't have penguins.

EDIT: I've decided that my decision to buy Rogue when it comes to PC will be dependent on whether it has a heavy weapon sheathe for axes or two handed swords. I missed that so, so much in BF. I picked up every weapon possible just to use something different.

OpposingFarce on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Rogue will be worth it if they cut down the number of "eavesdrop or follow this dude" missions by half. By 90% would be best, but I doubt it.

I've also heard it's the first game in the series where killing civilians doesn't have the penalty because your ancestor TOTALLY did that.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Rogue will be worth it if they cut down the number of "eavesdrop or follow this dude" missions by half. By 90% would be best, but I doubt it.

I've also heard it's the first game in the series where killing civilians doesn't have the penalty because your ancestor TOTALLY did that.

Assassins Creed: Hail Hydra

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    I thought rogue would put you more in a leadership role than it looked. I figured that because the templars sure like their cronies/meat shields/expendables it would be like ship-to-ship crew fights but on land and better developed.

EDIT: I've decided that my decision to buy Rogue when it comes to PC will be dependent on whether it has a heavy weapon sheathe for axes or two handed swords. I missed that so, so much in BF. I picked up every weapon possible just to use something different.

yes! my actual biggest disappointment was the lack of variety in melee weapons in Black Flag. dont know why they'd take those away. No carried heavy weapons or even a dagger. You couldn't even single wield if you wanted to!

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular

yes! my actual biggest disappointment was the lack of variety in melee weapons in Black Flag. dont know why they'd take those away. No carried heavy weapons or even a dagger. You couldn't even single wield if you wanted to!

I can't agree more. It felt really lame after a while, and one of the big reasons I haven't gotten around to playing it. That, and you know, shit mission design for 60% of it. The open world stuff was where this game shined.

I just wanted a claymore through all of it.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

My friend, let me be the one to let you know that those are examples of the en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Auk

Penguins are in the southern hemisphere, much as it would warm my heart to see those dutiful observers bearing witness to my Assassin's Creed stabbery.

I'm...kinda on board with Rogue. I admit that a lot of the WOW factor of Black Flag don't surf here. It went from 'Holy fuck, a ship!' to 'Oh, it's the ship again.' Same thing with the shanties everyone loved last year. I mean, I still love em, but...I can't tell what's reasonable and what's too much to expect.

Part of my brain says it would be cooler if they re-recorded the shanties so they don't sound quite the same as they did in the Golden Age of Piracy, and, hey, maybe they did. I haven't managed a real listen yet, but they did say 'over twenty new shanties' which...I never really cared about how many shanties I had, just that I had some really enjoyable songs to be all gung-ho about carrying on and being a pirate and feeling like one of the lads.

Part of my brain also says that since the basis of this game is really tried and true proven tech, the emphasis should really be on the content this time around, meaning, more locations and things to do. Maybe? The whole River Valley thing seems to be their gambit, and I'm kind of worried that the idea is that it's there to replace having cities to run around in. Maybe that'll work. Maybe not. I did think Black Flag needed to figure out a way to have ship gameplay and on-foot gameplay overlap more.

I like the idea of fending off boarding parties a lot, it speaks to me in a good way of being a really elegant reversal, as well as making it more challenging to keep a standing crew together. I like the idea of sailing through the icy seas while powder swirls in the frosty air. Black Flag made me made me see the Assassins as more ewokish dorks with their forest villages and stupid matching hoods and female characters in miniskirts for some reason, so, I'm good with playing someone who just wants to wipe them out.

I just want to know how committed they really are to this storyline. I don't want Shay to have some revelation and decide it's wrong to kill Assassins. I guess I'd be okay if the Templars had to turn on him at some point, but I don't see it making a whole lot of sense. I hope Shay doesn't have a some dead romantic interest or something that's driving him to want to kill all the assassins, or whatever.

Mainly, a lot of games encourage you to play the role of an oppressor anyway, so starting from the path of the villain, or at least the committed antihero, should force their hand in terms of making a more interesting storyline for this game.

TLDR; I'm hoping for a B+ experience but am prepared to hear if it turns out to be more of a B- experience.

Linespider5 on
  • Options

My friend, let me be the one to let you know that those are examples of the en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Auk

Well, that was a depressing read.
    I like the idea of fending off boarding parties a lot, it speaks to me in a good way of being a really elegant reversal, as well as making it more challenging to keep a standing crew together.

Although I won't be surprised if defending from a boarding party works in mostly the same way as being as boarding party in Black Flag. There will probably be randomized objectives each time, culminating in "kill the captain of the other ship." Meanwhile, your crew count slowly ticks downward, but the chances of you losing all your crew will be roughly the same as boarding an enemy boat was in BF (my crew count never got anywhere close to 0 in Black Flag).

I do hope the storyline does something interesting and different. I think it'll at least be as fun as Black Flag. I'd be happy if this game is sort of like the jump from AC2 --> Brotherhood, rather than Brotherhood --> Revelations.

• Options
    Eh, if it should be comparable to the AC2/Brotherhood jump then they actually would need to mirror one of the changes: AC Brotherhood introduced, well, the brotherhood system. AC Rogue would need to introduce the "fleet" system, where you can send ships on missions, have them upgraded and their crew level up, being able to call them in for maneuvers. This of course would go hand in hand with expanded sea battles, where you'd fight fleet against fleet.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited August 2014
    New gameplay of Unity, walkthrough of a mission. Looking good. More freeform missions + more open environments and interiors is a great thing. was hoping to see some combat but it looks like he pretty much did all of this stealth.

http://youtu.be/nF9bO-tPxKE

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Yeah, although the release date feels 'soon' even though it's more than two months away, I hope they have more stuff to show off to get people (me) excited for this title. Even it's just dumb little confectionery stuff like customizable hats, designing your own flag for your ship, or being able to go below decks and see where your crew lives and sleeps. I mean, none of that would really change anything about the core experience, but that kind stuff is the exactly the sort of Awesome Frosting that can add a ton to a game based off its predecessor's tech.