As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game Over Cult Victory]Christmas Down Under: A Do-It-Yourself [Miniphalla]

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    So was there seriously no real reason for my vote? Other than misspelling?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

I think you just got caught on the bad end of a page changeover with a bunch of people racing the vote-close.

Also, whoever gave Obi a divining rod (ebum?), you are the man.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    For the record, I was trying to get a neutral alignment since that's one of the few roles I haven't had. I also probably should have been less creative with the items I was giving out since only ones of those saw any use as far as I can tell.

Granted I did good laugh when I saw the results given that INANTP killed me as Robot Santa in Baidol's SE++ phalla. I guess revenge is a dish best served cold. :P

but THAT kill was for attacking me in DDS!

there's likely a moral here, but on the other hand

DEATH DEATH DEATH

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

I think you just got caught on the bad end of a page changeover with a bunch of people racing the vote-close.

That was one of my shenanigans. It's one of the reasons why I wanted to run a role that gave out defective gifts.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Discrider, some soph-to-frosh advice: if you get a role that entertaining it is usually a good idea to keep it on the down-low for a day or two rather than go crazy Day 1, if only to learn the lay of the land. My education in that regard came at premium's hands earlier this year, which is where his habit of Day 1 voting me originated, even iif he forgot.

I then swore yet-to-be realized vengeance. Some day I'll make him rue his actions!

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    6l6JsvJ.jpg

a merry Vegemite Christmas to all!

I was very happy that other people chose roles with post restrictions, because it ended up letting my dudes get lost in the crowd until the last day.

Also, at first I was pretty sure that I had no idea how my cult worked, as I wasn't getting any host confirmation on their conversion, and when I would ask, roman would make sure to mention "successful" conversions as if I might not be able to change someone. I soon had the idea that maybe I wasn't even a real cult! I got super paranoid.

Then of course, on the last day I realized that the reason we hadn't found a mafia was because we were the mafia, and I felt a bit better. If only INANTP hadn't died, it would have been my second perfect cult victory. But as it stands, it should be a very Merry Vegemite Christmas for everyone!

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Discrider, some soph-to-frosh advice: if you get a role that entertaining it is usually a good idea to keep it on the down-low for a day or two rather than go crazy Day 1, if only to learn the lay of the land. My education in that regard came at premium's hands earlier this year, which is where his habit of Day 1 voting me originated, even iif he forgot.

I then swore yet-to-be realized vengeance. Some day I'll make him rue his actions!

Meh.
    At some point through Day 1 I suddenly decided that I didn't have the tact to successfully roleplay Sam Kekovich without offending everybody.
    This role was also not the original one I submitted, which was more or less a silent cult (i.e the win condition wouldn't propagate from me, and wouldn't affect anyone else's gameplay) based on turning people into lamb-lovers through either PM conversations or people voting last on the vote leader (sheeple).
    And then I got fixated on ObiFett through a (correct) read that suggested he was just throwing any and every accusation at me for no reason.

Basically, as vote leader on the last day of day 1 within like 10 minutes of the first vote on me, and without much motivation to actually use my role, I may have lost all my will to live.
    So I just started having fun instead, whilst also trying to incriminate ObiFett because I didn't even consider that someone would behave in that manner as a villager.

discrider on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Sometimes roles sound better in your head? ._.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Cults are really powerful, even more so in a game like this. Sad that i died so early, since i had three or four more croc pics lined up.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I should not have touched the jellyfish (tried to steal a present from farangu)

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Well the initial idea was, as a player with a completely independent win condition I'd be free to move to align myself with whatever group. And so long as that win condition was sufficiently hard, I'd have to be interacting with everybody anyway and eventually form some sort of alliance between some group and myself.

But then when my role turned purely dependent on the posts of others in the main thread, I became a resource rather than a player, especially as the standard village win condition seemed unattainable that game.
    I tried to make the best of it by posting frequently (and getting metaed for it) and by forcing it down people's throats (hence the tin of spam comments). But in the end, the winning strategy for that role was probably to just get infected and then boost the power of the team that infected me.

So I still like the original role idea I sent in, but, without knowing about the cult mentality of this game a priori, the role I wound up with just seemed like a vanillager.

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    It's over... I'm kinda sad now. Oh well, I'll claim victory alonside Hippie.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I should have figured out how to give Langly the "if somebody PMs you, they get poisoned" power... ;)

• Options
    Cults are really powerful, even more so in a game like this. Sad that i died so early, since i had three or four more croc pics lined up.

They are, though there being only the cult as a group and having the post restriction helped a little I think. If someone has caught on sooner to my viral spread, I could have been voted off quick.

The holidays really did help though I think.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Well the initial idea was, as a player with a completely independent win condition I'd be free to move to align myself with whatever group. And so long as that win condition was sufficiently hard, I'd have to be interacting with everybody anyway and eventually form some sort of alliance between some group and myself.

But then when my role turned purely dependent on the posts of others in the main thread, I became a resource rather than a player, especially as the standard village win condition seemed unattainable that game.
    I tried to make the best of it by posting frequently (and getting metaed for it) and by forcing it down people's throats (hence the tin of spam comments). But in the end, the winning strategy for that role was probably to just get infected and then boost the power of the team that infected me.

So I still like the original role idea I sent in, but, without knowing about the cult mentality of this game a priori, the role I wound up with just seemed like a vanillager.

Oh I was talking about me. I didn't impact the game at all. Oh well.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »

They are, though there being only the cult as a group and having the post restriction helped a little I think. If someone has caught on sooner to my viral spread, I could have been voted off quick.

I really don't get why you weren't voted out sooner. Getting a power that only inflicted a post restriction really didn't seem like your bag.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I think I have to award my favourite role to Discrider for Sam Kekovich, though Kime was probably a close second.
    Sam Kekovich's Aussie Assault on Christmas

Sam loves lamb.

Support Aussie Famers:
    You may publicly try to convince someone of the power of lamb.
    For anyone who publicly embrace Lamb's power, active abilities they use that night are unblockable and immune to redirection. Once a player has embraced lamb's power, they may not do so again.

Taking over one Barbecue at a time:
    You may kill anyone who expresses a preference of other competing meat other than lamb in the main thread.
    This is limited to one kill per day.
    (Seafood does not count as a competing meat, others may be judged as they come up)

Direct references to things like Sausage/meat pies and other meats of unknown origin are not included unless their type has been specified and does not include lamb).
    This can be prevented if they turn from their ways and support Aussie Farmers publicly.

It is not possible for this ability to be redirected to target Sam Kekovich. Sam Kekovich only eats lamb all the time. If this attack tries to target Sam Kekovich, it rebels and hits the guy who targeted or moved the target to Sam Kekovich.

Win Condition: Ensure Christmas remains lamb-filled, safe and fun for everyone.

It just fit the spirit of the theme so well and I really liked the roleplay. I'm sad that it's probably lost on non-natives.

Awww, second. Well, not bad for coming up with it in 10 minutes or so :P
    Kime, did you just want to be the spirit of death, or did you never contact me while still a tourist for some other reason?

Ummm... no real reason I didn't contact you. I actually wanted to survive longer as a Tourist since that helped me live longer as Death, but it turned out that it didn't matter anyways. I mean, besides them being linked thematically, I didn't think there was another reason to do so.

Obviously I was wrong haha. Whoops! I probably would have had I lived another day or so, but oh well.
    Kaplar wrote: »

I really don't get why you weren't voted out sooner. Getting a power that only inflicted a post restriction really didn't seem like your bag.

I honestly thought I could win with Langly, so ummm... yeah. Otherwise I'd have killed him for being a cult leader a lot earlier :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Yeah, I was on to the cult the day before I got converted, but with a ton of wildlife and the only tourist dead, I wasn't about to tell what I was pretty sure was a bunch of mostly-hostile people I couldn't join about the cultists.

I was pretty sure from the PMs that sickened me that jdark was, like, all of the spiders in Australia or something, which was pretty close, so I stopped PMing him.

This game, particularly due to the Copy Croc, ability steals, and so on, could have gotten much crazier than it did; I was a little disappointed there weren't more tourists to help out, myself. :P

• Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    For reference I was tempted to call the game last night when the cult has control of the vote but If a particular set of circumstances occurred (kime kills langly, cult votes out a villager, vertroue roleblocks langly, and a cultist kills themselves with the exosuit) It could have forced a village cult draw.

• Options
    But no kime victory?

sadface

Of course I was apparently the only mafia player so yeah :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    There was no mafia. After I saw the submissions I had the option to try and Macguyver together a mafia or just let it roll with a cult and handful of SKs.

• Options
    I liked my original WC better :P

But yeah I guess I was in a tough spot once I died. I think part of the problem was it's hard to pick being the mafia when you don't know who the good guys and bad guys will be haha

Steam profile
  • Options
    vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    Sorry still like my simple role. I ahould have askes to not be allowed to be killed since I am a god but eh. Still fun. Also I was totally not helping kime at the wnd. Nope.

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
  • Options
    vertroue wrote: »
    Sorry still like my simple role. I ahould have askes to not be allowed to be killed since I am a god but eh. Still fun. Also I was totally not helping kime at the wnd. Nope.

:P

You were very low on my kill-list because you seemed so nice and useful!

Steam profile
  • Options
    Kaplar wrote: »

Yes I was very lucky. My Vegemite dudes did a really good job as well.

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Thanks for running the game, roman!

• Options

What game was this? I honestly don't remember. I'd like you to at least make me rue actions I remember.

• Options
    premium wrote: »

What game was this? I honestly don't remember. I'd like you to at least make me rue actions I remember.

YOU WILL REMEMBER AND RUE WHEN I AM GOOD AND READY FOR YOU TO!

• Options
    Thanks for running the game, roman!

Yup! It was fun as always :D

Steam profile
  • Options
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    It's over... I'm kinda sad now. Oh well, I'll claim victory alonside Hippie.

@Mikey cts you are a cult member. You were my final convert.

I worked with hippie to ensure you both won.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Hey Roman, why'd you change my role power?

• Options

If this is over something dumb I swear I will make you rue making me rue my actions

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Mill wrote: »

That was one of my shenanigans. It's one of the reasons why I wanted to run a role that gave out defective gifts.

I laughed pretty loud when I got that stupid item.

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Ah. Well alright then. Nice. Thanks, Langly.

On the one hand, I had you pegged and just couldn't get the village to vote with me.

On the other, I win with the cult and Hippie so yeah. :p

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options

If this is over something dumb I swear I will make you rue making me rue my actions

Don't sweat it, at the rate I'm going it'll be 2016 before I feel sufficiently capable of rue generation.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Lousy Copy Crocs. The Home on the Range song would've totally been my victory dance, but no, someone had to use a reflective power....

*grumpgrumpgrump*

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I never said anything bad about INANTP. :(

Also freaked out a little when gizzy died since I only contacted Obi and he said he was a jellyfish. Defiently expected to have more time this game but with the holidays it wasnt ment to be.

Colors were crazy confusing.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    This was my role as I submitted it to Roman:
    Role:

Santa's Naughty/Nice list.

You are Santa's big book of names, cataloging if every child is naughty or nice. It's gotten pretty bloated over the years though, so Santa has trouble finding who he wants to look for in it.

Abilities: The Naughty/Nice list knows any/all Santas in the game, and any/all Santas know of the list. The list has a nightly seer and wins when it knows the alignments of all characters in the game. Any Santa characters can forgo their nightly action to look up a character in the list, if the list is aware of the alignment of the player the Santa will be informed of it.

You get to decide who counts as a "Santa"

My plan was for there to be both a good and evil type santa and have to work to keep them both even while I tried to find out who everyone was but then there were basically no santas at all so I got stuck with the most useless seer in the history of phalla.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    The other role I wrote but was not assigned was to be masoned with a snowman as his carrot penis

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine