As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Borderlands 2] Pre-Sequel lands on the goddamn moon. Now with Improved Drop Rates!

• Options
    rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    Just beat zarpadon on helios and I gotta say this game is only about as good as the lower end b2 dlc. Its OK but it isnt $50 preorder good.

The sad thing is the "mundane" parts on helios are much more fun than the moon parts. I think the moon isn't good as a "base" environment. You need some more familiar terrain to keep the moon and the space stuff exotic. But I did enjoy the space hurps helios sections, they felt really the most "borderlands".

The scavs/outlaws just have so much less character than the bandits/nomads/bruisers. I think the expressionless faces and lack of dialog just make them boring and generic.

Also coming into this game from playing a ton of Firefall meant I couldn't possibly not be disappointed with the movement since that game handled jumpjet boosted fps movement perfectly fluidly. This one feels very clunky by comparison.

The moon buggy parts were annoyingly frustrating and a whole map full of instant death cliffs and poor driving mechanics make for a bad experience starting out. I don't think the oxygen thing adds to the game much but the claptrap toon lets you bypass that whole mechanic.

I'm sure I'm doing the butt slamming wrong but it feels like there either aren't good opportunitys for it or it doesn't do that much. But then again I'm wearing the level 11 legend mask that increase gun damage with oxygen stored so my damage hasn't scaled with my level. I wish players had a "closer" attack like the enemy psychos do that let you make a fast arcing slam to get into the enemy's face.

Overall I would rate this a 6.5 with nothing standing out except for maybe claptraps dialog with the other claptrap unit opening jacks office.

If this was released as $20 expansion/DLC for b2 it would be fine but I don't think it is worth a standalone game much less full retail price.

I'll still beat it of course and maybe with more then 1 toon, but I don't think its going to give me 400+ hours like b2 did.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    So I think I'm most of the way through the game, playing through as wilhelm and theres a few observations that I've had that I've had that I wonder if others had as well.
    1. Teh laser pew pew: So far Lasers are easily one of my favorite additions to the game. Origionally I was worried that they were going to be gimmicky nonsense, but each itteration of it (splitter, rapid, rail gun and beam) has had a use and the value of them as elemental weapons has been amazing; a cryo railgun was a gavourite of mine for dealing with flyers. Oh and the oz kit I have (bonus damage in an atmosphere), my skill tree (gun show and bonus laser damage), Shield (bonus damage with lasers and chance to absorb them) and relic (bonus rate of fire and recoil) are all giving me a disgusting damage output when I pew pew.
    2. Freezing is the best thing ever: Holy crap how did we ever live without this? Stun, damage boost and DOT... I'll happily trade slag for it. Dunno if I would if it was multi-player, but the sheer volume of things this element does is amazing.
    3. Fire where art thou?: fire seems to be wierd in comparison to earlier editions; in a lot of areas in the game it's pure bunk due to the lack of atmosphere, but in other areas it seems to be... I dunno, more powerful? Lord knows the boson was a test to see who could burn the other faster.
    4. Bosses ain't so easy: The first three bosses the game threw at me were in comparison to ones I've faced in previous BL games a huge kick in the teeth; deadlift would have been an unbearable game of cat and mouse if it hadn't been for wolf hunting him down and keeping his shields from restoring, Red and belly had me hunting for cover for most of the fight due to the relentless onslaught of shots coming at me and my poor shields, and the boson was blowing through them near instantaneously; litterally 2 seconds after getting second wind I'd be down again.
    5. Oranges: I've seen a lot of these things this game; dunno if it's just a really lucky first go, but I've gotten 5 oranges so far, including a hyperion ice smg, a Dhal laser, a laser themed shield, and a relic (which unfortunately doesn't work with my build).
    6. Moonstones: so much better then eridium; in BL2 that stuff just sort of piled up in my inventory after I'd upgraded a bunch of my stuff and then just went to waste. the decision to have chests that consistently hold purples being openable by a 40 stone payout usually at the end of the area (when you'd actually have a bunch of them) is a nice change of pace.

I'll probably have more thoughts when I finish the game but I thought I'd air my thoughts so far.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Woot Steam cards are in--well if you care about that sort of thing.

Free money if you don't.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I HAVE MOTIVATIONAL ISSUES

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I HAVE DISABLED THE JUMP PAD
    I'm sorry jump pad
    I didn' mean it

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I WAS AT A VERY DARK PLACE IN MY LIFE! I REALIZE NOW THAT "FRIEND ZONING" IS A VERY MISOGYNISTIC WAY OF LOOKING AT RELATIONSHIPS!

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    My favorite quote thus far is:
    That is the 10-year-old we hired to help us.
    Obviously in context, it was hilarious.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Access Denied... You are now a racist hot dog.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    I wasn't going to do anything to her! Honest!
    ...strangle.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I WAS AT A VERY DARK PLACE IN MY LIFE! I REALIZE NOW THAT "FRIEND ZONING" IS A VERY MISOGYNISTIC WAY OF LOOKING AT RELATIONSHIPS!

Mr. Torgue is so awesome.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    My favorite quote thus far is:
    That is the 10-year-old we hired to help us.
    Obviously in context, it was hilarious.
    You're fired, John.

teriferin#1625
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    This game is a really great prequel and I usually am not a fan of those. Makes me think about some places, things and people in BL2 differently.

Does a really nice job of enriching Borderlands 2 and adding abit more backstory and depth to a growing fun little universe.

There are a lot of eerie scenes in the game that are like watching the evil empire from Star Wars coming together before your eyes. Basically kind of like those last three movies but without being gut wrenchingly disappointing and more seamlessly integrating into what came before.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    4. Bosses ain't so easy: The first three bosses the game threw at me were in comparison to ones I've faced in previous BL games a huge kick in the teeth; deadlift would have been an unbearable game of cat and mouse if it hadn't been for wolf hunting him down and keeping his shields from restoring, Red and belly had me hunting for cover for most of the fight due to the relentless onslaught of shots coming at me and my poor shields, and the boson was blowing through them near instantaneously; litterally 2 seconds after getting second wind I'd be down again.
    Playing as Nisha, bosses die so quick, you forget there's even a boss.
    Then again, playing a Fan the Hammer tree Nisha, with zero health regen, enforces an overwhelming offense play style to stay alive.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Before Borderlands 2, I couldn't imagine playing anyone but Lillith.
    Before Pre-Sequel, I couldn't imagine playing anyone but Zer0.
    Now, I can't imagine playing a game without Fr4gtrap.

In a way, it's unfortunate that the stable is so large. It's, what, 14+ character classes? I'd love to see every Vault Hunter (or at least their class for characters that are no longer with us) brought back for BL3, buuut it's kinda hard to imagine

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Borderlands: The Epilogue Post Credits Totally Not a Sequel, Sequel!

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Sort of wish I could play Gaige in Pre-Sequel, since Death From Above might actually work properly due to the low-grav.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Anybody seen a list anywhere of what drops custom heads as far as bosses go?

I love collecting that kind of stuff. Yes, I'm that guy thats constantly asking you if I can grab that worthless stingray skin that just dropped.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Wilhelm is fine. I'm enjoying playing him.

But mostly I want to get back to Nisha. Activating Nisha's special is pretty much this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlAsSyDAWR8

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Head's seem to drop way less frequently, which was a bummer for me.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Anybody seen a list anywhere of what drops custom heads as far as bosses go?

I love collecting that kind of stuff. Yes, I'm that guy thats constantly asking you if I can grab that worthless stingray skin that just dropped.

I'd be up for this list as well, I'm not all all impressed with the assorted quest reward heads Wilhelm gets. Especially the normal mode story/TVHM raid boss heads, those things are just awful, and I suspect that Nisha and Athena get the same thing.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Head's seem to drop way less frequently, which was a bummer for me.
    I don't know, man.

I remember killing Henry 30 times in BL2 and she only dropped like one or two heads. I've killed Redbelly about thirteen times now and got six heads, two of claptrap, two of Wilhelm and one of Nisha.

They're still rare drops but thankfully it doesn't seem like anything that will consume too much time if you really want to farm for one.

But I may have just had a good run of luck and I'm going to go through hell trying to get the others.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    world drops and treasure chests seem as shitty as ever this time around, but it seems like vending machines got a nice buff (i see a lot of purples) and maaaaaaybe bosses though it's really early to tell. i picked up two heads and a unique (not legendary) and i haven't been farming at all.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    yeah, vending drops are excellent this time around :D

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Speaking of which, I found an orange shield (Cradle) in a Triton Flats vendor today. 13 minutes left, ran out to try and collect some money to afford it, having blown all of it on the orange Magma from last night. Come back, missed it by two minutes, which isn't a big deal since I didn't have the money anyway. Check the ammo machine to the right.

Another Magma.

Edit: You know, I think I've seen nearly as many oranges already as I did in the entirety of my time with BL2.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i picked up a striker while swinging by redbelly while i was in the vicinity. useless to me now, but i was planning on sidelining a nisha in a little while, so in the stash it goes.

that said, it did take quite a bit longer to find that than my first in borderlands 2, which was a kerblaster from midgemong. just, number 2 in that game took forever. we shall see

• Options
    rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    Since I beat the game last night I'll have to bump up my score from 6 to 7. The eridian and vault environments work well, the guardians are great enemies. The end boss was also interesting, no harder than the other borderlands story bosses but at least it had a coolness factor. Its too bad that the first half of the game isn't as good and leaves a bad first impression.

Its like the 2kAus didn't study b2 at all to learn how to create interesting, well paced levels (top of the dam, wildlife exploitation were the best) or compelling scripted sequences (slab king + followup fight).

The shugguraths annoyed me also because first they were contextless and second making a major enemy floating nowadays screams I'm too lazy to animate a walking sequence.

Overall its an OK game and I think my original $20 expansion pack price point is right for it. But it did do its job in making me excited for B3.

• Options
    pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    I soloed the raid boss on my first try as Nisha yesterday. Either I'm awesome or she is.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I really should try playing this game with people instead of solo, I may enjoy it a bit more

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Personally I want to play solo for my first go-through just because I am a slowpoke who will fart around Concordia trying to get on top of the highest tower no matter how long it takes before going afk for a half hour or more to look at the Internet.

• Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    I only every play solo. It's better that way.

• Options
    IndoorsmanIndoorsman Registered User regular
    Fellow Claptrap players:

I want that EMPR-TP head. Internet says it only drops from the Bosun. I must have killed that guy 20 times today and no luck. He'll drop the WR4P-TP head, but not the emperor one.

Anyone have this? Does the Bosun drop it, or are there other ways?

ty in advance

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    Nisha's Tombstone skill combined with an Oz kit that gives you crit damage when you are airborne is hilarious. For further comedy, get a maliwan lazer, because the lazer bounces to other enemies on contact. Showdown mode basically becomes, "Look at things to kill them"

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    I love the shotgun that the kid's sister drops you. It reminds me of the sniper rifle in BL2 that sounded like a nagging mother-in-law; I kept that gun around for so long just because it made me laugh. Hilarious.

• Options
    I tried showdown with a jakobs shotgun just for lols and holy shit, that is some beautiful stuff.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    I love the shotgun that the kid's sister drops you. It reminds me of the sniper rifle in BL2 that sounded like a nagging mother-in-law; I kept that gun around for so long just because it made me laugh. Hilarious.

oh yeah that's my new favorite

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Indoorsman wrote: »
    Fellow Claptrap players:

I want that EMPR-TP head. Internet says it only drops from the Bosun. I must have killed that guy 20 times today and no luck. He'll drop the WR4P-TP head, but not the emperor one.

Anyone have this? Does the Bosun drop it, or are there other ways?

ty in advance
    This guide claims it drops from
    Zarpedon.

I don't think bosses ever drop more than one type of custom head for each class so WR4P-TP is about all you'll get from the Bosun.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    I really should try playing this game with people instead of solo, I may enjoy it a bit more
    If you like to explore every nook and cranny and take in all the story/dialogue then doing a solo run is the way to go. Co-op is much more fun, imo, but you tend to rush through stuff and don't have much time to sort out inventory.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    From the other two BL games, co-op via Matchmaking is strictly run and gun, no time for any funny stuff; also, people are assholes with loot. Co-op with friends is the shit. The game itself is WAY better because the difficulty is scaled, thus the loot is so much better. Be wary of co-op friends that are toooo drunk; it's like babysitting, lol. "Where are you guys? I can't see anything. Is there... ooooo, is that a chest? Wait, are we in a boss fight? Guys, hold on. I have to pee."

Also, you should really get to know your skill trees well. You'll find that you have a solo spec and a group spec for each class. I can't wait to try out Wilhelm's healing spec. Looks like a ton of fun.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    If you like to explore every nook and cranny and take in all the story/dialogue then doing a solo run is the way to go. Co-op is much more fun, imo, but you tend to rush through stuff and don't have much time to sort out inventory.

I played BL1 and Bl2 with monger and I did not enjoy the solo times I played by myself anywhere near as much.

Just find someone who doesn't mind exploring.

He had played but has a shitty memory, so he kind of sort of knew what was going on and would not tell me any spoilers but if I needed help would basically be like "I don't remember" and actually mean it. So we hard to work out half the game on our own all over again while he's going "Oh yeaaahhhh! That's what happens!"

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
This discussion has been closed.