As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, January 13, 2014 - The Beast WIthin

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited January 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Good godDAMN dat face.

and the pubes sneaking out of the pixellation.

This comic is aces.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    My experience of Rust was that people were almost TOO helpful. Guys are throwing blueprints for Kevlar armor and laser attachments at me and it's like thanks man but I got to get back to hitting this tree with a rock.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    I don't play Rust, but I do play DayZ and well uh

yeah

yeah this comic is about right.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    That is a hell of a comic to wake up to.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Birthday comic.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I love that last panel.

Wallpaper please.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Switch out the third panel with the third panel from "The Thirstening".

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Birthday comic.

Me too!

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    What the heck is Rust? As far as I can tell, it's Naked Man Murder by Rock Simulator 2013.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    What the heck is Rust? As far as I can tell, it's Naked Man Murder by Rock Simulator 2013.
    Minecraft + Garrys Mod + Fallout = Rust.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Is Rust actually fun? Sometimes these building/open world games are more of a chore than a fun game.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Is Rust actually fun? Sometimes these building/open world games are more of a chore than a fun game.
    In the moments before a guy broke in to my nice house and gunned me down, I was quite enjoying myself. It is, however, perfectly possible to spawn miles from anything and die of hunger without seeing anything like fun.

• Options
    JackdawGinJackdawGin Engineer New YorkRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Yes, but people have a varied definition of fun. Some people find Final Fantasy to be fun for instance.

• Options
    OgreSmasherOgreSmasher Registered User regular
    Yeah this sums it up.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    What was that comic with I believe Gabe wearing a t-shirt and when he stretched out his arms we got a pixelated dick shot?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    I've been searching for a word to best describe Gabe's increasingly weird art style, and I think that word is "grotesque." I guess it isn't for me though, it's for the fans of the Ren and Stimpy art style.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    What was that comic with I believe Gabe wearing a t-shirt and when he stretched out his arms we got a pixelated dick shot?

Southern Exposure, June 4, 2012.

• Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    Uncensored version http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-gKbtQJj/0/XL/i-gKbtQJj-XL.jpg

Sporting an erection and 70's Bush

Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    MinuteWaltMinuteWalt Mister Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    re: the uncensored version,

Tasteful, all things considered.

This is PA we're talking about. Gabe could have gone Cardboard Tube Samurai behind the pixels ;)

MinuteWalt on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    It's funny because it's true.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Every time I get the chance to see Gabe's unpixelated wang, I take it. I'm not sure why...

Carpet=/=Drapes

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Am I the only one who finds it amusing that they're perfectly OK with showing horrific violence, but censor nudity? Oh, our fans can handle someone's head being smashed in, brains flying every where, but that penis? No way.

I still want to try Rust, I'm just not sold on paying to be a beta tester.

• Options
    We're talking about Rust now? I thought we were all still on Gabriel's wang...

• Options
    (I just re-read that last sentence. No regrets.)

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    Am I the only one who finds it amusing that they're perfectly OK with showing horrific violence, but censor nudity? Oh, our fans can handle someone's head being smashed in, brains flying every where, but that penis? No way.

It's not really amusing or interesting or anything. That's just America™.

Like, abject violence like that would probably be considered safe-for-work but a donger would totally be over the line and inappropriate pretty much anywhere.

• Options
    JackdawGinJackdawGin Engineer New YorkRegistered User regular

Welcome to America.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Man, that first "i" in "within" must be really important.

• Options
    miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    i love it when the artwork is like this rather crazy

• Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Man, that first "i" in "within" must be really important.
    That's an L silly goose.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

It's because the censored version is funnier.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Also Rust does actually have an in-game nudity censor, but no in-game violence censor.

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Birthday suit comic.

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    I've been searching for a word to best describe Gabe's increasingly weird art style, and I think that word is "grotesque." I guess it isn't for me though, it's for the fans of the Ren and Stimpy art style.

Well, do remember that someone who John Kricfalusi once counted as an influence is in the office now. It's entirely possible that a little bit of Katie's sneaking into PA too.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Birthday suit comic.

Hey how I browse the forum is nobody's business!

• Options
    TravanTravan Registered User regular
    Aurich wrote: »
    My experience of Rust was that people were almost TOO helpful. Guys are throwing blueprints for Kevlar armor and laser attachments at me and it's like thanks man but I got to get back to hitting this tree with a rock.

The presence of modern firearms alongside primitive subsistence level survival is probably the biggest turn off for me. What Tycho described in his news post and what I saw in the video he linked to may as well be two different games.

Gamertag- Travan7838

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Travan wrote: »
    Aurich wrote: »

The presence of modern firearms alongside primitive subsistence level survival is probably the biggest turn off for me. What Tycho described in his news post and what I saw in the video he linked to may as well be two different games.

And see, I think it's the combination of the two that makes the game interesting. On one hand, you have naked cavemen running around with rocks trying to bash each other's heads in and simply survive through the night. On the other, you have people who have found (or looted) the resources necessary to build modern firearms and C4 and stuff like that, and there are air drops and radiation zones and soon even attack helicopters will be in the game in some form. Is it post-apocalyptic? Is it all some kind of a weird hunger-games style setup? A future island prison, perhaps? No one really knows yet. This mystery, and the progression of caveman to unstoppable killing machine / base architect is extremely satisfying.

That said, the developers have said they are already planning to replace many of the modern weapons with more handmade kind of stuff. They've already done this with one weapon, replacing the default 9mm with a cool looking handmade 8-shot revolver. I don't think they're going to remove all modern weapons entirely, but it does sound like they're going to make them much harder to get.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    I heard/read somewhere (was it here?) that they are thinking about removing the zombies as well so it's more man vs. wild. I can appreciate that, but I'm worried that's basically like removing the endgame. Well, zombies aren't that difficult anyway, but there's got to be something to challenge you once you have guns and armor and can make ammunition pretty much willy-nilly.

• Options
    jsp69jsp69 Registered User new member
    I don't believe most of the people who play Rust (or DayZ, etc.) turn into aminals, rather, they play Rust because they want to play a game where they can bash someone's head in with a rock...or shoot the rock wielder in the face with their 9mm...or shoot the 9mm wielder in the face (from a distance) with their M4.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Is it just me, or are all the people in the comic Gabe?

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    MuchAdoMuchAdo Registered User new member
    Best comic yet guys. Made me laugh even when I hadn't played the game, then made me instantly buy the game. (it's epic, btw readers. Or at least it will be when it's past Alpha and they've ironed out all the exploits). Perfect face on Gabe in the last panel, and the blurring makes it funnier for some reason (and yes, I did click to the unedited version).

Keep up the good work!

Also, really enjoyed Strip Search, can't wait for season 2.