As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android: Netrunner] Creating and Controlling since 2012

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    In English, the dot dot is a Diaeresis, and usually used to indicate that a vowel should be pronounced separately, so I'd guess in this case it's "kas-EE-uh"

*edit* Oh, you misspelled it. "Caïssa" was the Greek goddess of chess, and is pronounced "kah-EE-suh".

*edit2* Sorry, fictional Greek Goddess of Chess, first published in 1527 in the poem Scacchia, Ludus by Italian poet Hieronymus Vida.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caïssa

Houn on
  • Options
    grungeboxgrungebox Registered User regular
    grungebox wrote: »
    Won a GNK today, 16 players (Portland). Played these two decks:

MN Psycho Beale
    NBN: Making News (Core Set)

Agenda (11)
    3x AstroScript Pilot Program (Core Set)
    2x Breaking News (Core Set)
    3x NAPD Contract (Double Time)
    3x Project Beale (Future Proof)

Asset (3)
    3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves)

Upgrade (2)
    2x SanSan City Grid (Core Set)

Operation (19)
    2x Celebrity Gift (Opening Moves) ••••• •
    2x Closed Accounts (Core Set)
    1x Fast Track (Honor and Profit)
    3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
    1x Manhunt (First Contact)
    3x Midseason Replacements (Future Proof)
    3x Psychographics (Core Set)
    1x Restructure (Second Thoughts)
    3x Sweeps Week (True Colors)

Barrier (6)
    3x Eli 1.0 (Future Proof) •••
    1x Hive (Double Time) ••
    2x Wraparound (Fear and Loathing)

Code Gate (3)
    1x Enigma (Core Set)
    2x Viper (Cyber Exodus) ••

Sentry (5)
    1x Caduceus (What Lies Ahead) ••
    2x Data Raven (Core Set)
    2x Dracō (What Lies Ahead)

15 influence spent (max 15)
    20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
    49 cards (min 45)
    Cards up to First Contact

Deck built on NetrunnerDB

Stimshop - Corroder.o8d.txt
    Chaos Theory: Wünderkind (Cyber Exodus)

Event (19)
    3x Diesel (Core Set)
    2x Legwork (Honor and Profit) ••••
    3x Quality Time (Humanity's Shadow)
    2x Scavenge (Creation and Control)
    3x Stimhack (Core Set) •••
    3x Test Run (Cyber Exodus)
    3x The Maker's Eye (Core Set)

Hardware (4)
    1x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
    3x R&D Interface (Future Proof)

Resource (4)
    3x Personal Workshop (Cyber Exodus)
    1x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (6)
    2x Corroder (Core Set) ••••
    1x Femme Fatale (Core Set)
    2x Gordian Blade (Core Set)
    1x Mimic (Core Set)

Program (7)
    3x Magnum Opus (Core Set)
    1x Parasite (Core Set) ••
    3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)

15 influence spent (max 15)
    40 cards (min 40)
    Cards up to Honor and Profit

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Went 4-0 with Corp, 3-1 with Runner.

As Corp, faced Andy (Supplier build), Noise (all-in on milling), Kit (stealth), Noise (Anarch breakers, more competitive build).
    As Runner, faced NEH (Biotics), NEH (horizontal untrashable), HB (NEXT glacier), RP (glacier).

Regarding decks, the Making News deck I took to two regionals, I've posted it here before. Caduceus replaced Ichi since I found I never rezzed Ichi. Manhunt replaced one Closed Accounts. I think it's a good choice, the constant tax is great (and if they go tag-me, that's perfect for a Psychographics deck).

The CT deck was an experiment for me to play. I mean, it's not my deck-- in deed, I totally net-decked it from the Stimhack tournament list but replaced a SOT with Plascrete and a Legwork with a Parasite. It's a scarily good deck, and Opus gives you a chance against RP. In Round 4, my turns were often "Run R&D, spend 6, see 2 cards. Okay, gain 6 with Opus. Next turn, gain 8. Next turn, run R&D." Opus just lets you do that forever, and you can easily trash Sundew/MH Clinic/etc. Against NEH the hope is that you get 3 Maker's Eyes early while they have crappy ice. I lost to NEH, though, so ymmv?

But, is the CT deck better than Andy-Sucker? Doubtful :)

Are the scavenges just there for test run synergy? Have you considered eden shard, or whatever lets you make the Corp draw two? Do you find yourself using mimic often?

Scavenges are there for Test Run and/or redirecting Femme. I've since toyed with taking them out and replacing with Astrolabe. That console is very good.

Quail is just hipster chicken
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Yeah, Test Run is three influence, but it let's you grab any program from Stack or Heap. Special Order is two influence and it's only icebreakers from stack. I could do it, but if I did, I might as well ditch the single Opus because I won't be able to dig it out when I need it.

On the plus side, it's payday, so I'll probably swing by the LGS and grab Study in Static.

Right. Express Delivery then.
    The point is, there are a lot of ways to increase your ability to consistently draw and use a bunch of cards. Test Run isn't cheap in terms of influence or play cost. You can also consider using Deja Vu to recur them, or Same Old Thing depending on deck composition. All of these suggestions require no extra copies of Icebreakers.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    So me and a few friends are kinda curious about this game. As Magic players with a serious trouble to keep up, the idea of of a LCG really appeals to us, that you can buy the packs instead of a deck costing upwards of 500 bucks, and this seems to be very distinct from Magic.

How is it on the deck idea and customization angle? Can you make oddball decks like you can in Magic? The whole "cards, which comparatively aren't that numerous, are split between four corps and three runner factions and you mostly use the cards from your faction" sorta made me worried it might be a Yugioh case, where the game tries to build your decks for you.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Oh you can make very different decks even within the same faction, mostly because of how the IDs work. Different IDs lend themselves to different sorts of decks, so there's variety within just what ID you are choosing.

As for just how much you can do in the way of oddball decks, that depends largely on how competitive you're trying to be. Casual games or small-stakes tournaments? You can absolutely play just about any sort of wacky deck you like and have fun. But if you're trying to make really consistent, strong decks you're going to cut out some of the ID/deck options, yeah.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Grabbed Study in Static.

Considering I'm using Dyson Memchips, I wonder if Underworld Contacts would be worth it in Anarch?

*edit* Oooh, Doppleganger is nifty, too.

Also, I wonder if Weyland "Because We Built It" would be better with my Ice Advance/Trick of Light deck.

Houn on
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I would love for Because We Built It to be good.

But it is not.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    How do you guys feel about a deck built around Cassïa programs and Deep Red? I built one sort of on a whim the other day and I've gone 9-1 with it at my local shop. I don't think people expect it, which is nice, but then again I'm not playing against super awesome players either (nor would I consider myself one either).

Also there's debate on how to say the word, as it pertains to chess. Is it KI-suh, KE-suh, or Kah-EE-suh?

Caïssa are great fun, but tricky to use effectively. Most obviously, they can be very slow and click intensive. They can also be problematic to build effectively in to decks. The problem with Caïssa in general I think is best explained in the classic Anatomy of an Anarch article by Team Covenant. The Caïssa themselves are not enough to operate as your whole breaker suite: while Rook can create free accesses and Knight can provide AI-based guaranteed access, they are both quickly and easily trashed. This makes you want to include the standard and fantastic Anarch breakers along side it. Sadly, you almost always need to find room for the Anarch tricks of the trade as well. Imp, Datasuckers, Parasite, etc are invaluable. You're going to need the multi-access that either Medium/Nerve Agent or Keyhole provide. Unfortunately, the support programs, plus breakers, plus Caïssa, is way too much memory. You could choose to ignore the support programs, but generally the way to go lately has been an AI focused build, either Knight and Crypsis, or even better, Knight and Overmind, with select Caïssa and the desired support programs.

This was one of the most successful Anarch builds at the end of the last datapack cycle, a Tag-Me economy denial deck with AI breakers, select Caïssa (Knight+Rook), Deep Red, Account Siphons, DLR, and the Anarch support programs. Unfortunately, it's fallen out a bit. Some pretty mean counters to Tag-Me, either indirectly i.e. The Vault or offensively with Bad Times/Information Overload/Universal Connectivity Fee/etc. Most recently, the new Weyland ID Blue Sun is a big middle finger to Caïssa decks as it can just blow them up for free.

As for pronunciation, it's closest to Kah-EE-suh, as the ï means the "a" and "i" are pronounced separately, such as in the word hiatus.

Endaro on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Endaro wrote: »
    How do you guys feel about a deck built around Cassïa programs and Deep Red? I built one sort of on a whim the other day and I've gone 9-1 with it at my local shop. I don't think people expect it, which is nice, but then again I'm not playing against super awesome players either (nor would I consider myself one either).

Also there's debate on how to say the word, as it pertains to chess. Is it KI-suh, KE-suh, or Kah-EE-suh?

Caïssa are great fun, but tricky to use effectively. Most obviously, they can be very slow and click intensive. They can also be problematic to build effectively in to decks. The problem with Caïssa in general I think is best explained in the classic Anatomy of an Anarch article by Team Covenant. The Caïssa themselves are not enough to operate as your whole breaker suite: while Rook can create free accesses and Knight can provide AI-based guaranteed access, they are both quickly and easily trashed. This makes you want to include the standard and fantastic Anarch breakers along side it. Sadly, you almost always need to find room for the Anarch tricks of the trade as well. Imp, Datasuckers, Parasite, etc are invaluable. You're going to need the multi-access that either Medium/Nerve Agent or Keyhole provide. Unfortunately, the support programs, plus breakers, plus Caïssa, is way too much memory. You could choose to ignore the support programs, but generally the way to go lately has been an AI focused build, either Knight and Crypsis, or even better, Knight and Overmind, with select Caïssa and the desired support programs.

This was one of the most successful Anarch builds at the end of the last datapack cycle, a Tag-Me economy denial deck with AI breakers, select Caïssa (Knight+Rook), Deep Red, Account Siphons, DLR, and the Anarch support programs. Unfortunately, it's fallen out a bit. Some pretty mean counters to Tag-Me, either indirectly i.e. The Vault or offensively with Bad Times/Information Overload/Universal Connectivity Fee/etc. Most recently, the new Weyland ID Blue Sun is a big middle finger to Caïssa decks as it can just blow them up for free.

As for pronunciation, it's closest to Kah-EE-suh, as the ï means the "a" and "i" are pronounced separately, such as in the word hiatus.

Thanks for this, and I agree with you too. I managed to grab a few of the other anarch breakers like parasite and datasucker and deep red can offset some of the memory cost but yeah, it's tricky to play. But I like the ability of moving the ice around. Win or lose, it's a fun deck to play. If I can manage to get it into a decklist I'll share and see what you guys think.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Ok, here's a crack at re-working that deck as a Noise deck:
    Noise 0.1 (45 cards)

Noise: Hacker Extraordinaire

Event (12)
    2 Deja Vu
    2 Infiltration
    3 Special Order ••••• •
    2 Stimhack
    3 Sure Gamble

Hardware (6)
    3 Dyson Mem Chip
    1 Grimoire
    2 The Personal Touch ••••

Resource (10)
    1 Aesop's Pawnshop ••
    3 Armitage Codebusting
    1 Ice Carver
    3 Liberated Account
    2 Wyldside

Icebreaker (6)
    2 Corroder
    2 Mimic
    2 Yog.0

Program (11)
    2 Datasucker
    2 Djinn
    2 Imp
    2 Medium
    3 Parasite

Built with http://netrunner.meteor.com/

Probably won't get to test it tonight, though, as the kids need to go to bed soon.

I don't think I can con the wife into learning to run nets...

Houn on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    I would love for Because We Built It to be good.

But it is not.

If you want to use advance ice play Tennin and spend your influence on importing Ice Wall and the like

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    My son just told me he doesn't want to play Netrunner anymore because it's too hard.

Leaving me with a grand total of zero people to play with.

*sigh*

• Options
    No local game stores?

• Options
    There are a few, but:

1. As a husband and father, my schedule is pretty chaotic.
    2. As a newbie, I'm trying to build some respectable decks I wouldn't be embarrassed to play in public; I don't mind losing, I just don't want to get that "look" I for when I tried to play Magic.
    3. As a guy with a bit of social anxiety in new situations, I'm really good at making lists of rationalizations.

• Options
    1. Totally understandable. There's quite a few people at my local group who have families, but they either don't come every week, or tend to only come to one particular night. I suspect it's something they've just had to work into their schedules over time.
    2. I think a lot of this depends on what your local players are like. My very first night at my local store, in about feburary this year, I had decks made purely from Core (1 set), What Lies Ahead and C&C. I think I won 1 game and tied another? I went pretty badly. But I had a lot of fun because until then I didn't really understand how varied and complex the game could be, and how much fun playing against different decks and people was. I think that night really solidified my opinion of the game, and I actually went and ordered everything I didn't have yet a couple of days later. The whole 'look' thing is not something I've experienced, or seen happen, though your mileage may vary on the group of players, of course. Since then I've seen plenty of new faces, some old and some young, and they've been welcomed in just as readily as I was. Compared to what I experienced when I played MTG for a little while, Netrunner players seem to largely be saints, it's super lovely.

So my recommendation is just to try and find one night sometime when you can go and check it out. Plan ahead, sort your decks out a few days prior, and just go with the aim not to win but to learn and get to know people there. If one night hasn't sold you on that group at least to some extent, then you can probably not worry so much about it anymore.

3. I can also appreciate this. Totally don't want to push you into forcing yourself to go- that'd just ruin the fun of it from the very start. But sometimes you've just gotta give it a go to see how you'll respond to it. Always remember that you can just up and leave whenever you like if you're not feeling it or you're feeling a bit uncomfortable.

Anyway, whatever you end up doing, you can always pop in here and ask for deck advice and play advice and whatnot! Just remember that unless you're trying to go all out to win, the best way to play is to play decks you enjoy playing!

• Options
    I posted a deck earlier! No one said anything about it, though.

I think I'll try to invite one of my friends over this weekend to "hang" and then ambush him with Netrunner. >.>

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Grabbed Study in Static.

Considering I'm using Dyson Memchips, I wonder if Underworld Contacts would be worth it in Anarch?

so, Underworld Contact is best if you get it really early

and anarchs kind of depend on getting other cards early, like, they really want Parasites and Datasuckers and Knights and a bunch of other shit on turn one or two and contacts is just one more thing you need that winds up not being any good in the late game

that's a really long-winded way of saying I've had very mixed results with it but if you're going to go that route, Reina Roja is definitely your best bet

• Options
    I'm also pretty skeeved out by new social settings and I will say that the Netrunner community around here has been SUPER welcoming and friendly

I was shocked at how good they are with new players in general

• Options
    So I got a package from a friend in the mail a few days ago with a promo Kate and two Promo Jinteki PE cards. Looks like I'll have to reforge my Kate deck again and make a PE deck for the last week of league next week so I can actually play with the shiny new promos!

I'll probably run PPVP Kate again because I'm not sure how keen I am on stealth Kate quite yet, especially without Up and Over here yet. Not entirely sure how best to make a PE deck, though, I've never actually run one in a serious tournament before.

I briefly considered running some tag stuff with DRT and scorch splashed in, but that's probably a silly idea (though a scorch splash might not be a bad idea...). I could just go full shell game with mushins, ronins, COs and the like, but I kinda feel like mixing it up a bit and trying some of the more interesting cards that came in H&P.

Anyone got a slightly unusual but successful PE deck they've played lately? Or perhaps some ideas? I'm just not sure where to start and my usual method for deck building is to get a strong idea from someone else and then shape it to my own style.

• Options
    EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    Have you seen Chris Hinks' Cambridge PE deck? That was getting a lot of buzz not long ago.

• Options
    That looks like a really cool base! I'll tinker with it a bit and do some testing on OCTGN. Thanks!

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    What do we think about Overmind & D4v1d with E3 Feedback Filters out of Quetzal? I see some potential there but I can't seem to fill it out.

I've been mulling it over since @Shorty 's excellent breaker breakdown.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    Well, in the end I decided to pick up the Core box, since hey, if we don't like it, I'm only forty bucks down. This game looks... pretty terminology-dense. I think I'll build a couple of the precon suggestions in the manual and try from there.

Also, is there any particular reason why the box has playsets of some cards but not of others? I hope you don't need to buy another Core box to get full playsets of useful cards...

• Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote:
    I hope you don't need to buy another Core box to get full playsets of useful cards...

Uh oh...

• Options
    edited October 2014
    - the game is terminology heavy, but it's important to the rules and the theme. Don't worry about it, it's intimidating but not all that hard to pick up.
    - the reason the core set doesn't have full play sets is because of the way you build a default deck: pick your runner or Corp, and mix all of that faction's cards with all the neutral cards. Done.
    - but yes, if you want a full play set of every core card, that's three core sets. I only have one so far, but I'm not feeling too limited by it yet.

Houn on
  • Options
    Cerberus wrote: »
    Drascin wrote:
    I hope you don't need to buy another Core box to get full playsets of useful cards...

Uh oh...

Well that's just a pain in the behind. The biggest thing that enticed me to get into this game was being told that the addon boxes came with full playsets of 20 cards, avoiding the need to spend money only to get a pile of repeats like in a CCG.

Is this common to other Android boxes or is it just a thing the core does for its precons?

...also, this PAD campaign card is totally a shot at Apple, isn't it.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    It's just for the core box. It's basically a compromise between cost, deck consistency and variety in the coreset.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Yup. At this time, the core box is the only one that doesn't give you 3 of every card inside. The deluxe expansions are no different from the data packs.

• Options
    That's fair. It was just a bit of a bothersome surprise. If there's any particular cards I need more of I hope I can find some way to get the singles.

In the meanitme, I will probably be able to try my first game on Sunday or Monday, if we can actually figure out how this thing is played. Expect questions as I wrestle with the terms of a dystopian cyperpunk future!

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    BTW, don't think it came up, but the FAQ and Tournament Rules got updated. Nothing major or new errata, it just covers the Lunar Cycle and that "All That Remains" won't be legal for Worlds.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    The one-offs in the core box are a shame, but I'm still a very earnest believer in using proxies. Obviously you can't use them in a serious tournament game, but they really are the way to go when playing with friends. The few cards you miss out one from only having one core just aren't worth the 40$ it would take to buy another, and most places that sell singles charge exorbitant rates because they can. It's trickier when you only have the core sets, but as you buy datapacks you end up with endless options for proxies.

Wish you had a second or third Desperado? Add in Doppelgangers as proxies, they cost the same so all you have to memorize is the obvious ability of Desperado. Use unneeded identities for signature faction cards, such as using Gabe as the third Account Siphon or Kate as a third Magnum Opus. This is especially true for the later ID's, as you're far more likely to want a third Datasucker than a third Whizzard. At worst, you need to explain ahead of time to your friend, "Hey by the way, if you draw a TWIY identity in R&D that's my proxy AstroScript"

Yes, it's obviously better to have the real cards. I don't think it's 40$ better though. Hell, if you're sleeving your cards (and you should be!), just print out the card images of the ones you're missing and slip them in.

• Options
    Yeah my local group just enacted a proxy policy for even our league nights for anything that isn't currently available in a store in our city. We haven't been able to get copies of What Lies Ahead for months so there's a good few new players without plascretes.

• Options
    So, I coaxed my son into playing a few games so I could test my Noise deck above... and I really like it. I won the first game pretty handedly, but then got cocky and got myself flatlined.

He was playing my Weyland deck, and refused to build any remote servers; I think he was trying to force me to run into a snare in his hand. I just kept running R&D and pulling agendas out. Finally pulled a Djinn, dug out a Medium, and started deep-digging every click. Ran into a Snare anyway. On click 3. With no credits. So I took the three, he got the free tag on me, and Scorched me.

I regret nothing.

• Options
    Okay, a question I have. What happens to a corporation's ice after the runner gets through by breaking it? Does it stay in place or is it "destroyed"? The manual does not seem to say anything, which leads me to assume it stays, but I kinda wanted to make sure.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    It does indeed stay. Since the language used is that you are breaking its 'subroutines' rather than the ice itself, the implication is that the ice remains, but you have broken through and evaded its effects. Unless otherwise stated, the ice also stays rezzed.

Generally speaking, the only way a card is ever removed from play is by anything that involves 'trash' or 'trashed'. If you were to play a card or use an ability that states that a piece of ice would be trashed, then in that case it has been destroyed and is relocated to the Corp's archives.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    So just played Blue Sun against Blackguard Silhouette (with Snitches) aka Ice Repositioning: The Game

I think I need to go lie down after that many decision trees.

Really enjoying Draco in Blue Sun though with the piles of money and ability to reset it, in fact three Draco's are my only enabler for one Scorched Earth.

• Options
    Another question. How does Private Security Force actually, you know, work? Agendas are face down normally and aren't turned face up until someone accesses them or they're scored, right? Do you have to reveal the card while it is there to use its click-spending activated ability, or can you play activated abilities of scored Agendas until you forfeit them?

• Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    Another question. How does Private Security Force actually, you know, work? Agendas are face down normally and aren't turned face up until someone accesses them or they're scored, right? Do you have to reveal the card while it is there to use its click-spending activated ability, or can you play activated abilities of scored Agendas until you forfeit them?

You'd have to score the agenda first by installing it face-down, then advancing it the four needed to score it. Once you score it, you add it face-up to your score area, and it's ability is available to you whenever you want to use it.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Agenda abilities are only active once scored since you can't install agendas face up because they have no rez cost.

• Options
    unless they specifically say they're active before they're scored

like, Fetal AI has an "on access" trigger