As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Computer Build Thread] - Bitcoiners can't keep us down! 1440p or bust!

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I think you can get away with installing Windows using an upgrade CD key by installing it twice, but its been a while since Ive installed Windows.

• Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Consider me looking at new monitors as well.

I figured I'd keep an open mind and do some research on all options (4k), but everything I've seen on playing games at 4k says you're not going to hit 60fps for almost all games unless you go in for multiple, extremely-high end money-bin graphics cards, so don't even bother.

Anyone have experience with 4k that agrees with that assessment, or disagrees?

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Well shit. Got everything reinstalled (os and drivers and updates) for Windows to tell me that, no, fuck you, your install is from a 'full' Windows 7 disk and not an upgrade disk, start over.

Fuck. You. Windows.

So I hooked up my DVD player and am installing vista so i can install 7. I'm 100% sure I didn't do this nonsense before.

On the less frustrating side here's the before and afters (I am not good at the photos)
    IMG_20140830_211214_387.jpg
    IMG_20140830_232250_625.jpg

@The Dude With Herpes‌ I think you can get around this by installing Windows 7 but not putting in your key during the install process. Then you activate later.

edit: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402-clean-install-upgrade-windows-7-version.html

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Thanks for those tips. I had already did the vista>win7 thing before bed so I'm starting over with drivers and updates this morning.

It occured to me when I woke up that it could very possibly be that I'm still using the same win7 install on this PC that I've had since I got Win7; that I never did a clean install with it.

The 'upgrade' basically does a clean install anyway, it just puts all the vista stuff in a folder you can dump later.

Got a lot going on today so I'll have to do installations here and there, probably won't really get to test the ssd and push the CPU to see if the water cooler and better case, and/or better psu solve my hard crash problems.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Well shit. Got everything reinstalled (os and drivers and updates) for Windows to tell me that, no, fuck you, your install is from a 'full' Windows 7 disk and not an upgrade disk, start over.

Fuck. You. Windows.

So I hooked up my DVD player and am installing vista so i can install 7. I'm 100% sure I didn't do this nonsense before.

On the less frustrating side here's the before and afters (I am not good at the photos)
    IMG_20140830_211214_387.jpg
    IMG_20140830_232250_625.jpg

@The Dude With Herpes‌ I think you can get around this by installing Windows 7 but not putting in your key during the install process. Then you activate later.

edit: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402-clean-install-upgrade-windows-7-version.html

I have Update CD's only. All you do is full install, don't put the key in, restart and install as an update over that first install. Then put the key in and it works because you "Updated" Windows.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    I wish I had thought about that last night. But at about 2am I was just fried.

I'm now back to having windows installed and updated, fresh drivers and all that fancy pants. I'm about ready to hook up my HDD back up to get installing games.

• Options
    This is crazy, this SSD. I'm so conditioned to sit and wait ~5 minutes after starting up my PC for everything to actually be loaded and ready to use that when it's done in about 10 seconds my mind hardly knows how to handle it.

I'm a fan so far.

Figured out that my Win7 disk didn't have SP1 so I'm still installing updates. :rotate:

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Right then, I've had a few days of enjoying my new video card, it has very much fixed the hardlock issue I was having with warframe, and allowed me to max out the graphics settings to boot.

That said, either Warframe has some graphics issues that need ironed out, or something on this card isn't quite working right. I'm leaning towards the former, based on having fired up assorted other games and not noticing any major issues, but I figured I'd do a sanity check while the card is still fresh enough to easily deal with if it is defective. Naturally, the moment I load up the game with the intention to try and get a screenshot of it, it plays coy, but it's basically something like z-fighting, only without a proper texture doing the fighting. When it decides to show up on something, it'll consistently appear on all instances of that something depending on my viewing angle (i.e. it'll happen if I'm looking at a downwards angle, but not an upwards one), and in one noteworthy instance, it wasn't flickering, it was just plain sitting on the stuff, though it'd fade out if I approached.

None of the other games I fired up and ran around in to test (Star Citizen, SWTOR, Payday 2, Saints row IV) displayed anything similar, so I'm pretty sure this is just warframe, but it never hurts to get external opinions.

:edit: it finally decided to show up again, got some pictures. First picture is just a general here it is screenshot, second is an angle where it doesn't flicker in and out, third is an angle where it does (it took me ages before I managed to get a screenshot with it actually onscreen)

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Check online to see if anyone else has been having similar problems. Also, try to check what your gpu temps are when this problem is showing up.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Yeah, you might have to brave the official forums to make a post there. Also maybe email the devs themselves asking about it?

Good luck!

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Well, haven't gotten the problem to show up again so far, but I have discovered that whatever the hell is up with the tenno ship, it has my GPU at a constant 97% activity, so perhaps I should brave the official forums long enough to let them know that something is up there. Temp was hovering at 65C at the time with no texture oddities noticed, so if it is heat, either it was somehow pushing hotter at the time, or heat isn't the only factor.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    65c is rather chilly.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    So Steam has filled up my current hard drive. I currently have a single 1TB drive. I'm thinking of getting a 2+ TB one and/or a SSD? I've looked at the article linked in the OP but noticed it's like two years old... any advice?

I'm not really clear if this and this are the same thing or if there is a difference beyond one coming in a box with cables and stuff.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    SSD's are not for space, they are for speed. They are ~10x as expensive per GB as a spindle drive.

That said, the speed increase is insanity, and frankly I'd just learn to keep less games installed and go pure SSD. In fact, that's exactly what I did. Went from a 2tb spindle + 128gb SSD system cache, to a pure SSD (500 GB + 128GB) system, and just learned to keep less games installed. Haven't regretted it since.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    If you're the type that likes to have your whole Steam library installed, I'd recommend getting a larger spindle drive in addition to an SSD. You can use Steam Mover to move games back and forth from the SSD when you're playing them. The difference in using an SSD in general is amazing, so I'd definitely recommend getting one of those if nothing else.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I guess I just don't see the point. If you haven't played a game in >30 days, just delete it, download it again later. Steam isn't going to disappear overnight without you hearing about it first. If there is some Steampocolypse, you'll almost certainly have ample warning and time to get your library archived to a huge external drive or whatever.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Some people have pretty onerous bandwidth caps and it's far easier to just keep a download backed up and transfer it over when you want to play.

You can get 4TB USB3 backup drives for like $100-150 if you catch a sale. This solves those peoples problems with bandwidth. If you need to justify it in your head just pretend their backup drive is 'the internet' and they're 'downloading' a game when they copy it over to play.

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Registered User regular
    The point (for me at least, I'm doing the SSD/larger regular HD combo) is that it's nice to have access to all those games, for when I eventually do want to play them. With game sizes going up, too, it can sometimes take the better part of the day to download something, and I'd rather have it ready sooner.

I'm also coming off a machine where I had about 400GB just for Steam games, and it became a bit of a pain to constantly have to uninstall/reinstall things, especially when it came to games I'd finished but still wanted to keep around just to futz with (like Dishonored, for example)

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    So Steam has filled up my current hard drive. I currently have a single 1TB drive. I'm thinking of getting a 2+ TB one and/or a SSD? I've looked at the article linked in the OP but noticed it's like two years old... any advice?

I'm not really clear if this and this are the same thing or if there is a difference beyond one coming in a box with cables and stuff.

No difference besides the cables and software disk (which is not necessary).

Cheapest option is still going to be getting a massive hdd (2-4 TB) and a smallish ssd (120-250 GB) for the OS/currently playing games. It's the setup I have for my HTPC (which has a few lightweight steam games on it) and I find it to be very painless. Best option is obviously to get two 1TB ssds. Only $1000!

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I guess I just don't see the point. If you haven't played a game in >30 days, just delete it, download it again later. Steam isn't going to disappear overnight without you hearing about it first. If there is some Steampocolypse, you'll almost certainly have ample warning and time to get your library archived to a huge external drive or whatever.

If I have a craving for a game, I want to play it right now not an hour from now when I gets done downloading.
    Jebus314 wrote: »

Cheapest option is still going to be getting a massive hdd (2-4 TB) and a smallish ssd (120-250 GB) for the OS/currently playing games. It's the setup I have for my HTPC (which has a few lightweight steam games on it) and I find it to be very painless. Best option is obviously to get two 1TB ssds. Only $1000!

This seems like a good idea. That way I can keep things installed but only use the SSD for like when the new Civilization comes out and I know I'm gonna be diving into this thing for 100+ hours. How hard would it be to move my OS to the SSD given that this is an existing machine? Would I need to re-install the system or is there some way to move it over?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    This thread is fun, I think every other page we inform another person to do a fresh install on their new ssd. Seriously, with the ssd speed it will take like ten minutes tops to install.

Non edit: rereading this sounds like it could be taken in a dickish way. I didn't mean that, just the substance that yes you want to do a fresh install and it will be super easy with the ssd quickness. I love you build thread, don't hate me please!

davidsdurions on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

If I have a craving for a game, I want to play it right now not an hour from now when I gets done downloading.
    Jebus314 wrote: »

This seems like a good idea. That way I can keep things installed but only use the SSD for like when the new Civilization comes out and I know I'm gonna be diving into this thing for 100+ hours. How hard would it be to move my OS to the SSD given that this is an existing machine? Would I need to re-install the system or is there some way to move it over?

The best thing to do is a clean re-install on the new SSD. Windows does things differently on an SSD install compared to a platter drive install to increase efficiency.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Tiger Direct informs me that my order will probably not get shipping until mid to late September for the ASUS ROG Swift. I will be counting the days like a madman.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    I've got my first build mostly done. There are some weird issues with the audio but I can work around those. But can anyone recommend a decent inexpensive wireless keyboard and mouse for couch navigation? It's primarily a gaming box so I will mostly be using a gamepad but I still need to be able to navigate around Windows on occasion so that's why I don't need anything too fancy. Probably need about a 12 ft range though a little more would probably be good to be safe.

Interestingly, the only keyboard I have lying around the house was for an old HP Pavilion that still requires a PS/2 and for whatever reason, Windows is not detecting the number row except for 5 and 6. Rather than trying to make that work, I figure I will just bite the bullet and get what I actually want.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    LeftOnRed wrote: »

Bingo - we have one, exactly what I would recommend.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    I SUCK at cabling

I was thinking of ipgrading my i5 duo. Should I nab a 3770 or just get a 3570k and get a better fan and overclock it slightly?

• Options
    toloveistorebel toloveistorebel Impressive. Most impressive. Central FLRegistered User regular
    I SUCK at cabling

I was thinking of ipgrading my i5 duo. Should I nab a 3770 or just get a 3570k and get a better fan and overclock it slightly?

While those CPUs are still very viable, they are one generation behind (about to be two). I would say you're better off just upgrading to the current Devil's Canyon stuff on a Z97 board or just waiting till Broadwell. I don't really see the point of putting money into older generation stuff unless you can get it super cheap for some reason. Granted you already have a 1155 socket motherboard (I assume?), but you'd still be better off doing a full CPU/Mobo upgrade or waiting. What system do you currently have that you have a dual core i5 (the only dual core i5 I know of is the 3470T)?? Is it a prebuilt or something?

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Good news everyone, if 1440p or even 4K wasn't enough pixels for you Dell has you covered now:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFHhGflSgBA

That's 5120x2880, so 2 2560x1440 monitors crammed into a single display.

Not entirely sure of the point of it, I guess they decided since the panels exist for cell phones that they might as well cut one to 27".

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    toloveistorebel toloveistorebel Impressive. Most impressive. Central FLRegistered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »
    Good news everyone, if 1440p or even 4K wasn't enough pixels for you Dell has you covered now:
    *snip*

That's 5120x2880, so FOUR 2560x1440 monitors crammed into a single display.

Not entirely sure of the point of it, I guess they decided since the panels exist for cell phones that they might as well cut one to 27".

Fixed that for you to make your head explode even more... Pardon me while I pick up the pieces from my exploded head on the ground.

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    I SUCK at cabling

While those CPUs are still very viable, they are one generation behind (about to be two). I would say you're better off just upgrading to the current Devil's Canyon stuff on a Z97 board or just waiting till Broadwell. I don't really see the point of putting money into older generation stuff unless you can get it super cheap for some reason. Granted you already have a 1155 socket motherboard (I assume?), but you'd still be better off doing a full CPU/Mobo upgrade or waiting. What system do you currently have that you have a dual core i5 (the only dual core i5 I know of is the 3470T)?? Is it a prebuilt or something?

It's three years old man and I typically don't build super top of the line

It's still great and most things run really well

Don't build shame

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    oh whoops ya, did the math wrong on that.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    I SUCK at cabling

It's three years old man and I typically don't build super top of the line

It's still great and most things run really well

Don't build shame

Sorry if my post came off kind of dickish at the end there. Was just generally curious. If it still runs things well enough I'd just wait. Totally up to you though. I have a 3770K and its great. The 3570K is a great chip too.

• Options
    So I think I might be in the market for a replacement motherboard.

Requirements:
    compatible with my 3570k CPU.
    Adequate for possible sli setup if I get a second gtx 780

Preference:
    Larger form factors, as I have sausage fingers and have a decent size case now and am probably going to go ahead get NZKT H630 as part of the process anyways.

I don't have any brand loyalties for motherboards, I would just like one that hopefully doesn't give me crap after a couple years.

Can I use the newest boards with my somewhat older CPU and look forward to upgrading in the future with the new board and a newer CPU? Or am I better off getting an older board as a replacement for now since I'm still absolutely fine with my CPU performance?

Suggestions? Need more info? Thanks!

• Options
    You'll have to upgrade the board and the CPU at the same time. The cpu you have is a 1155 socket, whereas the current stuff is using a 1150 socket.
    The 'older' boards that are 1155 aren't any cheaper than getting something that's up to date.

Your absolute best bet is to upgrade them both now if you need the upgrade pronto, or hold off until broadwell stuff comes out if you don't.

• Options
    When does broadwell come out?

• Options
    I'm not sure if there's a set date, but sometime at the end of this year. Mobile processors will be rolling out first, desktop some time later, so probably early mid 2015.

From your first post it sounded a bit like your current mainboard is going bad. Can you wait that long?

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    You'll have to upgrade the board and the CPU at the same time. The cpu you have is a 1155 socket, whereas the current stuff is using a 1150 socket.
    The 'older' boards that are 1155 aren't any cheaper than getting something that's up to date.

Your absolute best bet is to upgrade them both now if you need the upgrade pronto, or hold off until broadwell stuff comes out if you don't.

If he has a 3570k he doesn't need to upgrade the processor any time soon.
    So I think I might be in the market for a replacement motherboard.

Requirements:
    compatible with my 3570k CPU.
    Adequate for possible sli setup if I get a second gtx 780

Preference:
    Larger form factors, as I have sausage fingers and have a decent size case now and am probably going to go ahead get NZKT H630 as part of the process anyways.

I don't have any brand loyalties for motherboards, I would just like one that hopefully doesn't give me crap after a couple years.

Can I use the newest boards with my somewhat older CPU and look forward to upgrading in the future with the new board and a newer CPU? Or am I better off getting an older board as a replacement for now since I'm still absolutely fine with my CPU performance?

Suggestions? Need more info? Thanks!

Why do you want a new motherboard? Just for the possibility of maybe doing SLI in the future? What motherboard do you have right now?

There are some 1155 boards still out there: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157330

If you really think you want to do SLI then buy the motherboard. I do not think you will want to upgrade your whole CPU/Mobo setup for Broadwell; it won't be that much better than what you already have.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I can if the bleeding has been stopped, so we shall see!

• Options
    Roccat Kone for a pretty slick price if anyone is looking for a gaming mouse:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DHAD3JU?tag=kinjasocial-20

steam_sig.png