As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft; Omelette du Nerub

BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOTKILL DRACULARegistered User regular
edited July 2014 in Social Entropy++
LuB9OKW.gif

this is a game made by Blizzard Entertainment!

it is horrendously addictive!

it's kind of like magic, except not!

over 300 cards, 9 classes!

make a deck with your class specific cards and neutral minions and duke it out!

cards cost mana (you start with 1 and gain 1 every turn until you have 10) and you always have a hero ability available that costs 2

you get a mulligan on your first draw of 4 cards and whoever goes second gets the coin which they can use to gain 1 mana that turn

mulligan correctly! this varies by class that you're facing but there are some no-brainers (pagle, fiery war axe, 1 drops)

here are the classes i guess

CtyA8sw.gif

used to be amazing in constructed with the frozen giants deck which was fucking absurdly broken and deserved a nerf (although they nerfed all of the wrong cards and left the one thing that made it broken, ice block, completely untouched)

nowadays they are in a pretty bad spot, all of their freeze spells costs too much mana except frostbolt (which is the best removal spell in the game), you can try using a gimmicky secrets deck or just play goodstuff minions but you'll probably just get rushed down and lose

hands down the best class in arena, their hero power (deal 1 damage to ANYTHING) is so good at maintaining board control and tempo

good class specific cards: mirror image, arcane missiles, mana wyrm, frostbolt, water elemental, fireball, polymorph, blizzard, flamestrike

ps. mana wyrm > coin > mirror image is horrifying to be on the receiving end of and one of the strongest openers you can get in hearthstone

JmA6nFE.gif

unleash the doges

very very scary class to face, their hero power (2 damage to enemy hero) adds up to a LOT of chip damage over the course of a game and really puts the opponent on a timer

their playstyle was predominantly hyper aggro (which was garbage bullshit, boring and unfun to play as and against) but more recently they are shifting into a more control game with freezing trap and houndmaster/highmane

they are ok in arena if you can draft enough unleash the hounds (which got buffed a shit ton and is now one of the best spells to punish your opponent for building a board)

good class specific cards: hunter's mark, tracking, unleash the hounds, traps (except for snipe, never play snipe), starving buzzard, deadly shot, eaglehorn bow, animal companion, houndmaster, savannah highmane

6a635ah.gif

heh, greetings

warrior are kings of control, a well played deck can have the opponent utterly at their mercy from turn 1 with the insane amount of efficient, cheap removal until lategame where you just drop bomb after bomb after bomb

reynad popularized an aggro variant last month which has started falling out of vogue as the meta slowed down and became more taunt heavy, its problem was always running dry on cards in the mid-late game and not having answers

warriors do alright in arena but are very dependant on getting good class cards; their hero ability (gain 2 armor) does nothing except draw games out which is useless if your deck is garbage

good class specific cards: execute, shield slam, whirlwind, fiery war axe, cleave, slam, armorsmith, cruel taskmaster, frothing berserker, shield block, brawl, gorehowl, grommash hellscream

DDcDha8.gif

shaman's thing is overload; do something powerful right now, and pay for it by locking x mana crystals next turn

their flavor is pretty much control + board spam with their hero ability (summon a random totem, hope for the 0/2 taunt)

they are very good in arena due to their class specific cards being strong (shamans have access to fire elemental, the best 6 drop in the entire game)

good class specific cards: earth shock, lightning bolt, rockbiter weapon, stormforged axe, flametongue totem, feral spirit, hex, lightning storm, unbound elemental, fire elemental, al'akir the windlord

jRZqiSz.gif

bow to the godclass

druid is all about diversity, a lot of their cards give you multiple options to adapt your gameplay to whatever you are facing

this means they never really have 'bad' matchups and they can keep up with the board/rush via their hero ability (gain 1 attack this turn and 1 armor)

druid is overwhelmingly popular in constructed, consistently placing top in tournaments

they are great in arena due to their flexibility and the bullshit you can pull off with innervate/savage roar/swipe

good class specific cards: innervate, claw, wrath, savage roar, keeper of the grove, swipe, druid of the claw, force of nature, ancient of lore, cenarius

FxU3rpi.gif

the asshole class

priest kills you by taking all of your shit from you and beating you to death with it

they have multiple ways of doing this: the most obvious one being mind control (10 mana these days so potentially risky, but you really have to be careful of your biggest, best minion being used against you), cabal shadow priest (no harvest golem/nat pagle is safe) or shadow madness

their removal is great and very cheap

priests biggest weakness, and this is huge, is ~every single minion in the game with 4 attack~

this sits between the attack values that shadow word: pain and death prey upon and means that if you flood the board with 4 attack guys, the priest is going to have a very bad time

they are dogshit in constructed and only marginally better in arena

good class specific cards: circle of healing, holy smite, northshire cleric, power word: shield, shadow word: pain, thoughtsteal, shadow word: death, shadow madness, auchenai soulpriest, holy nova, holy fire, cabal shadow priest, mind control

PrMxV11.gif

rogues do combos by playing their cheap cards one after the other to unlock their stronger effects

they are the best class at gaining and keeping tempo with stuff like backstab/si:7 agent, sap and preparation/conceal bullshit combined with gadgetzan auctioneer

their hero ability makes a 1/2 dagger which you can save for a rainy day (deadly poison/blade flurry)

arena wise, rogues do very well; their spot removal is good, varied and strong and their class cards are great at keeping them ahead

good class specific cards: preparation, conceal, shadowstep, backstab, deadly poison, cold blood, shiv, blade flurry, eviscerate, sap, si:7 agent, assassin's blade

VL6LAzo.gif

paladin summons 1/1 shitters that annoy you and chip away at your life/minions

they have insanely good 4 cost cards compared to most classes; expect a paladin to bust out a truesilver champion and go ham on turn 3/4

both control and rush variants are in a good spot right now; with their sustain and immunity to topdecking, they can go toe to toe with most matchups

paladins do very well in arena since their hero ability benefits things like knife juggler/frostwolf warlord

good class specific cards: noble sacrifice, equality, argent protector, aldor peacekeeper, divine favor, truesilver champion, consecration, avenging wrath, guardian of kings, lay on hands, tirion fordring

9xwvMjz.gif

warlocks have the strongest hero power in the game:

draw a card and take 2 damage

this lets them maintain tempo and outdraw their opponent more often than not

warlocks can play three major archetypes; low mana rush, murloc rush, or handlock control

they are all scary, but handlock is the scariest

turn 4 mountain giant is a fucker

warlock doesn't tend to do that well in arena due to a lot of their class specific cards being garbo

good class specific cards: soulfire, mortal coil, power overwhelming, voidwalker, flame imp, shadow bolt, hellfire, shadowflame, doomguard, siphon soul, lord jaraxxus

~~~~~~

alright well that wraps up the overview

the game is in open beta and free to play, download it from the battle.net app

good streamers: nl_kripp, trumpsc, itshafu, reynad27, thegwalls, kolento, badrazor, strifecro, savjz, kitkatzy, realz, massansc

up all night to get salty

Sterica on

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    just drafted a druid deck that I am pretty happy about.

http://www.arenavalue.com/s/IlC5dg

It's kind of light on removal spells with only one each of Wrath, Swipe, and Starfire, but with a ton of solid 2-cost minions (5-6 3/2 minions including 2 oozes), and 2 each of Dark Iron Dwarf, Druid of the Claw, and Trillwind Yeti I can't really complain at all.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    if you're relatively new to the game and a bit light on dust, here are the neutral minions you should look at crafting first, with the most important cards in bold:

argent squire
    leper gnome
    loot hoarder
    sunfury protector
    faerie dragon
    ironbeak owl
    knife juggler
    acolyte of pain
    earthen ring farseer
    harvest golem
    dark iron dwarf
    defender of argus
    azure drake
    gadgetzan auctioneer
    argent commander

• Options
    im very glad that trillwind yeti stuck

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Leper Gnome and Owl are overpriced in my opinion.

Also it seems the servers are currently broken.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    leper gnome is overpriced? short of the opponent wasting silence it's a guaranteed 2 damage at a minimum, 4 if it's left alive to attack even once, and can trade up for 3/2s. That's a pretty solid deal for 1 mana, I'd say.

• Options
    if i could make a deck of 30 leper gnomes i would

• Options
    few things make me happier than killing someone with a leper gnome deathrattle

one of those things is someone killing themselves with a leper gnome deathrattle

• Options
    power overwhelming on a leper gnome and its deathrattle deals the killing blow

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    leper gnome is overpriced? short of the opponent wasting silence it's a guaranteed 2 damage at a minimum, 4 if it's left alive to attack even once, and can trade up for 3/2s. That's a pretty solid deal for 1 mana, I'd say.
    It's a guaranteed 2 damage, but the health of the enemy doesn't really matter until you're about to kill them. It's just as likely it will die to a 1/1 or fireball or something as trade up, and if it does you've just sacrificed tempo for nothing. I can see how it would be useful in the really aggro decks, but I've never felt that it was more useful than Loot Hoarder, Squire, or even Worgen Infiltrator.

• Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    few things make me happier than killing someone with a leper gnome deathrattle

one of those things is someone killing themselves with a leper gnome deathrattle

I do this on purpose, if I know I'm about to lose anyway

mkc.png
  • Options
    Loot Hoarder costs twice as much though ;) Argent Squire is debateable, it can trade twice vs 1-health minions and takes buffs well. Worgen Infiltrator though, that I'll grant you is better if only because you get to trade it on your terms.

• Options
    you cant really compare loot hoarder to 1 drops

• Options
    Beasteh wrote: »
    you cant really compare loot hoarder to 1 drops
    It's not fair to compare the 2 damage to the card draw, but I think it is fair in "Which card would I rather have in my deck?" Because you are limited in the 1 and 2 minions you can have in your deck at all, unless you want to run out of steam on turn 6.

• Options
    that depends entirely on the class

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    those other 1 drops may very well be more useful in your deck, but it is important to remember that you could build a different deck in which big hugs are more valuable

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I think this may be my favourite opening yet:
    4dQcFcl.jpg

no wait, this is:
    tUtz821.jpg

• Options
    first time drafting warrior, 2 Arcanite Reapers and 2 Gorehowls is good, right?

• Options
    1 gorehowl

when are you ever going to get to use 2 in a match

• Options
    i'd take 1 fiery war axe over a gorehowl at that point

• Options
    when the second one came up, the other choices were... not good

• Options
    like, Hungry Crab and something only slightly better

• Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    hungry crab for life

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    the little crab who could

• Options
    good to see that the mages who run 2x iceblock + 2x flamestrike + 2x blizzard + 2x mirror image + antonidas + alexstrasza + pyroblast are still around

fucking garbage subhumans

• Options
    oh you mean the mages running a mage deck

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    this was the first mage i'd seen running this, most of them nowadays run goodstuff minion spam

• Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    Well to be fair Mage is pretty straightforward in constructed, there's only so many things you can do with them (or any class really)

• Options
    druid dropped a tazdingo and gave two other minions taunt when he only had one health left. Played a Mad Bomber, and when that failed to kill him, bounced it with a Youthful Brewmaster and played it again. Heh, Greetings.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I hope you like my invention
    FUCK LEPER GNOMES

Machwing on
    l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    Gimme a big hug!

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Hellfire is so far my fav card

murloc rush ha

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    leper gnomes leveled up my rogue like whoa

I've been playing this for a little while and I seem to do best with rogue

I also tried out Trump's f2p mage playlist

it is.........not great. I won a few games with it, but ANY rush deck just wrecks it completely

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    I thought I'd give this game a go after being disappointed by Magic 2014

So far I like it!

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

it is.........not great. I won a few games with it, but ANY rush deck just wrecks it completely
    I didn't like it either, at least the version he was using when I was watching the stream. But in my experience anyway, mage is a good class with a cheaper deck because you have polymorph and fireball for the big scary cards.

• Options
    SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »

I didn't like it either, at least the version he was using when I was watching the stream. But in my experience anyway, mage is a good class with a cheaper deck because you have polymorph and fireball for the big scary cards.

This reminds me, I think it's dumb that the best non-class specific ways to deal with big legandaries (big game hunter, faceless manipulator) are epics. Seriously, why?

Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Machwing wrote: »
    I hope you like my invention

whenever i hear this i always go

"girl you know i like your invention"

except not anymore because card is bad

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I played a bunch of this tonight

fuck warlocks

that is all

• Options
    edited February 2014
    fuck murloc rush

whats that, your draw went voidwalker > knife juggler > tidecaller > tidehunter > warleader? and i didn't draw my swipes?

ok guess i lose thanks for the good close match

Beasteh on
  • Options
    my heart bleeds for druid

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.