As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Camp Weedonwantcha by Katie Rice — Bate

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2014 in Camp Weedonwantcha

imageCamp Weedonwantcha by Katie Rice — Bate

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    SorteKaninSorteKanin Registered User new member
    I'm unsure whether to make my headcannon that Brian has a crush on Seventeen or Brian is actually Seventeen's older brother.

• Options
    Spman2099Spman2099 Registered User regular
    Very cute.

• Options
    WizarDruWizarDru Registered User regular
    It's fascinating to me how this comic is both very funny, but also has some serious dark underpinnings to it. Each character's backstory is an interesting mystery waiting to unfold.

• Options
    currypcurryp Registered User regular
    Brian is some sort of awesome guy.. and Seventeen a free spirit !

• Options
    EldaverEldaver Registered User new member
    Cat: third panel, upper right corner.

• Options
    MagnAxiomMagnAxiom Registered User regular
    Eldaver, very uncool just spoiling the cat hunt...

• Options
    RoyalXIIIRoyalXIII Registered User new member
    SHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!

• Options
    RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    Damn, I just realized that Brian is the only one of main characters who has right proportions.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eric the PrezEric the Prez Registered User regular
    BRIAN SMASH...oh hi kitty :) Katie, you are awesome

• Options
    PyrianPyrian Registered User regular
    >...Brian is the only one of main characters who has right proportions.

Seriously? His legs are shorter than his head.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Brian is definitely the "older brother" of the group. With anger issues? Possibly why he was left.

• Options
    abrohmabrohm Registered User new member
    This is adorable! Also, about the cat hunt, that just started after the cat crate drop right?

• Options
    HUNRoninHUNRonin Registered User regular
    I love when there's character development or characterization with zero dialog! Following this comic was definitely a good idea.

• Options
    RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    Pyrian wrote: »
    >...Brian is the only one of main characters who has right proportions.

Seriously? His legs are shorter than his head.
    Ok, Brian has right proportions compared to the rest of the main heroes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Between the anger at the bug, and how quick he was to pull out a knife when Malachi said to kill him when he had the bat stuck in his hair, I'm really starting to wonder about our stoic hero Brian.

• Options
    Sovoq113Sovoq113 Registered User regular
    He's like a big brother, I love him

• Options
    shark jacobsshark jacobs Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    this is a really great comic, so many little things happen. I think almost every individual panel communicates something about who Brian and Seventeen are and who they are to each other.

I'm curious about what the title means.

shark jacobs on
  • Options
    AdamRWAdamRW Registered User regular
    I'm curious about what the title means.

The title mainly refers to Brian restraining himself.

And it's also sorta a reference to Bates from Downton Abbey, as Brian is performing valet-like services.

• Options
    Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    awww such a cute comic, Brian is a legend :p. Every comic I think I have a new favourite... I think I'm just going to have to resign myself to the fact I love them all, I can't pick a favourite :D.

and this Kittie was considerably easier to find, still pretty damn tricky though.

• Options
    clintlockclintlock Registered User regular
    Well, that was painfully adorable! Please keep this kind of character development up, Katie. No words were spoken, yet I feel like I have a more complete picture of Brian and Seventeen now.

• Options
    1Neuman1Neuman Registered User regular
    Your comics are the Bee's knees! ... I guess that means they are sweet? Coated in honey? Anyway Skadi comics are always funny but stick to the funny satirical violence and I like how Wedonwantcha has a lot of heart in it. :D

• Options
    mushymushy Unprofessional Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    They're so sweet to each other

• Options
    TzivyaTzivya Registered User regular
    @lostninja Brian was never going to kill him, the intent always was, I am sure, to cut the bat free. Which is what happens in the end.

• Options
    hazardousindexhazardousindex Registered User regular
    Calling it now: eventually Brian is going ballistic on someone! (Malachi? Yeah, probably.)

Also, my favorite thing about this comic? The body language. There is so much character there.

• Options
    rcattrcatt Registered User regular
    I think my kitty finding skills are 5/10 at best.
    Great comic! Thank you very much.

• Options
    ClassActClassAct Registered User new member
    Signed up specifically to comment on this.

The amount of character this adds to Brian is just incredible. I'm not sure how many people understand just what you exposed in Brian, but I got goosebumps reading this, and that little flutter in your chest when something in a fantasy world threatens your heart with genuine grief.

At the risk of spelling something out that I feel people should have to work for, Brian didn't just get angry because Seventeen's finger was bitten.

Brian was already angry. He's been angry this entire time.

I'm reminded of when I watched Where the Wild Things Are, and everyone I knew was complaining about the kid and about the film and the tone, and I was so overcome by what the film was mirroring in myself that I had to excuse myself to another room. (Not that anyone is complaining about this comic, of course.)

Whew, okay. That's enough reading into things for one day.

Sorry, Katie, if this is too much. Thanks for being the best kind of artist: the kind that makes us think for ourselves.

• Options
    FenrisknightFenrisknight Token Canadian CanadianRegistered User regular
  • Options
    KatieJRiceKatieJRice Registered User regular
    ClassAct wrote: »
    Whew, okay. That's enough reading into things for one day.

Sorry, Katie, if this is too much.

Thank you so much for going out of your way to write this! And please, never apologize for feeling something, or for reading into something. It makes me really happy to see people connecting with the characters. ^u^

• Options
    MadJackMadJack Registered User regular
    Brian is my favorite in this strip. You do an excellent job of story telling Katie. I work for Disney so believe me when I tell you, your way of communicating depth and detail is beyond superb. Keep it up.

forumsig.jpg
  • Options
    ClarinetinaClarinetina Registered User new member
    Doncha think the most amazing thing is how Brian DIDN'T squish the bug? What kid has that kind of self control? He's my hero for so many reasons :-)

• Options
    tahjmompremiertahjmompremier Registered User new member
    edited April 2014
    I have a new respect for brian

tahjmompremier on
  • Options
    oscarpilgrimoscarpilgrim Registered User new member
    Brian se ha ganado todo mi respeto,
    Cuida de Diecisiete tal como yo lo haria.

• Options
    JSN824JSN824 Registered User new member
    Made an account just to comment here (even though it may not be read anytime soon since we're 50 comics ahead already). Love the strip, had been meaning to read it for a while and finally had the time to check it out. Immediately fell in love with it and read through all the comics and am now conducting the famous Hidden Kitty search on each comic. Only had to resort to spoilers on one or two so far! Anyway, I was commenting for two reasons:

The title caught my attention and wanted to look further. For those who were also curious, "bate" primarily means to reduce in force or to restrain (such as to 'abate' or to anticipate 'with bated breath'), which in this instance would refer to Brian's restraint in squishing the bug.

The second part of this I noticed was this is the second time in the comic we've seen one of the kids get suddenly and quickly upset, but then manage to calm themselves (the prior being Colin upon being given his smashed whistle). Kids of this age range are prone to quick mood changes and getting upset (perhaps irrationally so) over such slights. I wonder if there is significance to the fact that these kids were able to control their own impulses? Maybe it has to do with the reason they were abandoned here, (perhaps Brian has a Hulk-like anger issue, as later hinted to with the appearance of Purdy), but these moments where they are able to control it better means that are learning from the CW experience.

Or I'm just overanalyzing. But that's kind of what I do.

Alright, on to the next kitty search!

• Options
    ReiskaReiska Registered User regular
    Atta boy Brian, this is bug's world too.

Taking a life is always taking a life.

• Options
    kingofsiamkingofsiam Registered User new member
    They're kinda like 18 and 16.

• Options
    kingofsiamkingofsiam Registered User new member
    edited September 2014
    They're kinda like 18 and 16

kingofsiam on
  • Options
    narwhaonarwhao Registered User regular
    This is the cutest thing