Options

Insane in the Ukraine, OR, Not So Chicken Kiev?

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User, Moderator mod
    Liiya wrote: »
    Its funny how the word liberal can mean such different things across the world.

Is say funny, its not really. More odd.

Most of the terms across the spectrum as a whole, really.

The president could probably run for office in Canada on a Conservative ticket and come across as perfectly acceptable to most of that side of the spectrum's voters outside of a couple of issues, while a bafflingly non-trivial number of people in the States firmly and sincerely believe that he is a literal communist, speaking (and occasionally acting) according to the kind of worldview where that isn't, well, batshit silly. The fact that we have a party that actually calls itself the Liberal Party is a nightmare to that sort of mindset, and when you point out that they're usually the centrist party...

Living next door to it gets kinda distressing, especially when that kind of one-extreme-or-the-other polarization is starting to become popular here as well..

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    It baffles me that news presenters are even allowed to be that biased/give their own opinions on stories in the first place!

I'm not sure news totally removed of all bias and personal opinion is possible or preferable.

• Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    this seems like a big one

The Secret Goldman Sachs Tapes [BloombergView]
    Probably most people would agree that the people paid by the U.S. government to regulate Wall Street have had their difficulties. Most people would probably also agree on two reasons those difficulties seem only to be growing: an ever-more complex financial system that regulators must have explained to them by the financiers who create it, and the ever-more common practice among regulators of leaving their government jobs for much higher paying jobs at the very banks they were once meant to regulate. Wall Street's regulators are people who are paid by Wall Street to accept Wall Street's explanations of itself, and who have little ability to defend themselves from those explanations.

Our financial regulatory system is obviously dysfunctional. But because the subject is so tedious, and the details so complicated, the public doesn't pay it much attention.

That may very well change today, for today -- Friday, Sept. 26 --- the radio program "This American Life" will air a jaw-dropping story about Wall Street regulation, and the public will have no trouble at all understanding it.

The reporter, Jake Bernstein, has obtained 46 hours of tape recordings, made secretly by a Federal Reserve employee, of conversations within the Fed, and between the Fed and Goldman Sachs. The Ray Rice video for the financial sector has arrived.

First, a bit of background -- which you might get equally well from today's broadcast as well as from this article by ProPublica. After the 2008 financial crisis, the New York Fed, now the chief U.S. bank regulator, commissioned a study of itself. This study, which the Fed also intended to keep to itself, set out to understand why the Fed hadn't spotted the insane and destructive behavior inside the big banks, and stopped it before it got out of control. The "discussion draft" of the Fed's internal study, led by a Columbia Business School professor and former banker named David Beim, was sent to the Fed on Aug. 18, 2009.

It's an extraordinary document. There is not space here to do it justice, but the gist is this: The Fed failed to regulate the banks because it did not encourage its employees to ask questions, to speak their minds or to point out problems.

Just the opposite: The Fed encourages its employees to keep their heads down, to obey their managers and to appease the banks. That is, bank regulators failed to do their jobs properly not because they lacked the tools but because they were discouraged from using them.

there's more after the link. this story definitely appears to be worth following

f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    okay look what if we just go back to banning everyone except Jews from practicing usury

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Fox turned my parents from even-headed, slightly naive people into hyper-religious ultra-patriots.

• Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    it's just so fucked
    The job right from the start seems to have been different from what she had imagined: In meetings, Fed employees would defer to the Goldman people; if one of the Goldman people said something revealing or even alarming, the other Fed employees in the meeting would either ignore or downplay it. For instance, in one meeting a Goldman employee expressed the view that "once clients are wealthy enough certain consumer laws don't apply to them." After that meeting, Segarra turned to a fellow Fed regulator and said how surprised she was by that statement -- to which the regulator replied, "You didn't hear that."

This sort of thing occurred often enough -- Fed regulators denying what had been said in meetings, Fed managers asking her to alter minutes of meetings after the fact -- that Segarra decided she needed to record what actually had been said. So she went to the Spy Store and bought a tiny tape recorder, then began to record her meetings at Goldman Sachs, until she was fired.

also, when Segarra lost her case in April, the judge was the wife of a lawyer representing Goldman
    In her ruling on Wednesday, Abrams also rejected a move by Stengle for greater disclosure by the judge about her husband's relationship with Goldman Sachs.

Abrams disclosed on April 3 that she had just learned that her husband, Greg Andres, a partner at Davis Polk & Wardwell, was representing Goldman in an advisory capacity.

Stengle said at the time she would not seek Abrams' recusal, the judge said, and went ahead the next day with scheduled oral arguments on the defendants' bid to dismiss the case.

But on April 11, Stengle made a written request for a "more complete disclosure" of Andres' relationship with Goldman, and Abrams' own working relationship with another defense lawyer.

Abrams said that was too late, given that Segarra by then would have had a chance to "sample the temper of the court" and perhaps anticipate she would lose unless Abrams recused herself.

"The timing of plaintiff's requests suggests that she is engaging in precisely the type of 'judge-shopping' the 2nd Circuit has cautioned against," Abrams wrote, referring to the federal appeals court in New York. "Such an attempt to engage in judicial game-playing strikes at the core of our legal system."

f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    strike another one down for: completely not surprising surprising news

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Al Jazeera is really good for international news

very professional, very up to date stuff

So long as it isn't news about Egypt.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/2013/07/18/202970802/Al-Jazeera-Under-Fire-For-Its-Egypt-Coverage

al-jazeera is owned and operated by the royal family of qatar

so it doesn't really fall anywhere on an american bias scale. it's not republican or democrat, it's pro- the emir of qatar

the qataris were backing morsi's muslim brotherhood, it turns out, so obviously they're going to be on his side, and i would be shocked if their reporting on e.g. qatar's purchasing of the world cup was at all reliable. and i would guess that it's not always clear to a western audience what the qatari political agenda is going to be in any particular situation. so you would probably want to be careful accepting it as completely reliable even on foreign news in case it turns out that emir tamim bin hamad al thani has a deep personal stake in like the indian elections or something

like, it might not be that it's unbiased, it's just that the bias is not visible to us because we don't know enough about the political background

i haven't studied this in detail, though, i'm just guessing

• Options
    spoilers qatar was the illuminati all along

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    we were supposed to be selling three robots to qatar but they pulled out so I am miffed at them

don't even ask me about the 2020 world cup and artificial hamstrings

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular

Were they? Or was the illuminati qatar all along?!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    tynic wrote: »
    we were supposed to be selling three robots to qatar but they pulled out so I am miffed at them

don't even ask me about the 2020 world cup and artificial hamstrings

Okay, what about the 2024 World Cup and artificial quadriceps?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm sure I'll hear about that before too long...

• Options
    Fyndir wrote: »

Were they? Or was the illuminati qatar all along?!

a-am I qatar, senpai??~

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User, Moderator mod
    tynic wrote: »

"We issue an apology on your behalf to Major Al Mansouri knowing that anything your producers force you to say will be contrived and insincere."

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    All those names at the bottom is a very nice thing

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Also a female pilot with a badass call sign might be the sexiest thing in the world

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Also a female pilot with a badass call sign might be the sexiest thing in the world

I think it's safe to speculate that it would make the short list.

• Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    cheeseburger.jpg

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    gosh darn it, the cheat

• Options
    edited September 2014
    on 9/11, then Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney scrambled her F-16. Completely unarmed, she was ready to lay down her own life to prevent further devastating attacks on American soil.

the article doesn't mention it, but it's worth pointing out that neither of the two USAF fighters which scrambled on 9/11 were actually armed

so when they say "ready lay down her own life" they mean she and her wingman took off with no option except to ram themselves into a 747 at supersonic speeds, which is kinda badass imo

e: lol nvm the article mentions it in the quote w/e wake me up when she rams a sandwich into my kitchen

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    on 9/11, then Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney scrambled her F-16. Completely unarmed, she was ready to lay down her own life to prevent further devastating attacks on American soil.

the article doesn't mention it, but it's worth pointing out that neither of the two USAF fighters which scrambled on 9/11 were actually armed

so when they say "ready lay down her own life" they mean she and her wingman took off with no option except to ram themselves into a 747 at supersonic speeds, which is kinda badass imo

Oh it totally does. Even in the quoted portion of the article.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options

yeah well i bet ur mum wouldnt even fly an f16 anywhere except at my dick how about you correct my quote on that

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

yeah well i bet ur mum wouldnt even fly an f16 anywhere except at my dick how about you correct my quote on that

I'll fukin kill u m8

• Options
    Incidentally now that being ill has made watching Sharpe my main current occupation I suggest we just send him and his riflemen to fight the Russians, since they have the uncanny ability to defeat a force of any size without taking a scratch. All we need to do is find an attractive young Russian woman and put her in period dress and Sean Bean will instinctively cut a swathe through the whole of the eastern ukraine to get to her.

• Options

I'll fukin kill u m8

u wanna fukin go m8 cum on ill ave u i swer on me mum

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular

I'll fukin kill u m8

Cultural appropriation.

• Options

I'll fukin kill u m8

Cultural appropriation.

I was born in Leicester god dammit

• Options

Well then why aren't you on my list of Brits??

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    the B-List, as it were

l3icwZV.png
  • Options

I'll fukin kill u m8

Cultural appropriation.

Ah but now you are a yank

unfortunate but there it is

also if you were really born in Leicester you'd never admit to it in public

• Options

My name was stricken from the List of Brits by royal command, after I forswore my allegiance to the crown and spat upon the very heart of Britain by accepting American citizenship

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular

My name was stricken from the List of Brits by royal command, after I forswore my allegiance to the crown and spat upon the very heart of Britain by accepting American citizenship

Did you keep that nifty Brit accent do or did you throw that back across the pond as well? Cuz if you're going to keep something, that would have been it.

• Options

Ah-HA!

I am rubbing your name out, luckily it was only in pencil but I knew "Dongs" was a suspiciously American word.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

I'll fukin kill u m8

Cultural appropriation.

look I've heard his accent

he's about as american as patrick stewart

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »

Did you keep that nifty Brit accent do or did you throw that back across the pond as well? Cuz if you're going to keep something, that would have been it.

it's drifted closer to a South African/Rhodesian accent since I moved, presumably because my family all have that instead of British ones

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    also leicester makes a fine cheese

quite a thing to be proud of

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I work with two South African players. Their accents are hard to understand.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

Good on ya, mate.

I mean, uh

Hella baller, yo.

This discussion has been closed.