As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Insane in the Ukraine, OR, Not So Chicken Kiev?

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular

The coldest of comforts, assuming it holds true.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I feel for you. Barring a complete collapse on the part of the Liberals, we should only have just over a year left of our Tory government, and even that is too much.
    It seems like we need a Conservative Majority every couple decades or so to remind us how fucking awful they are while in power, when they're not pretending to be moderates to win votes.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Christ I hope the Tories are out next election

Not that Labour are all that but they'd be a sight better

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

labor are sure as shit better than the tories as least

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I may be late but,

I once drove my 1st Sgt around the back-40 in the company hummer so he could try to shoot a turkey and also he wanted to just get away and drive through lots of brush.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

On the one hand, Labour are preferable to Tories.

On the other hand, prime minister Ed Miliband.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    personally I feel that Ed Milliband is a better man than the media, and therefore a lot of people, give him credit for

I think he'd make as good a Prime Minister as anyone else we've had since Thatcher, if he had the chance

his image is that of a rather earnest sixth form student, which is a shame, because he probably is quite a principled, intelligent and hard working man

too far to the right, mind, but still

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    down with parliament

Charles forever, Cavaliers or death

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    ZEB5uQ6l.jpg

canadian_politics.jpg

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    ZEB5uQ6l.jpg

canadian_politics.jpg

wait, which bill is that, then?

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    "Fair" elections act?

no clue on a specific bill, but it's pretty well the conservatives' modus operandi

Psykoma on
  • Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    this is a thing that people let happen

Accused of Stealing a Backpack, High School Student Jailed for Nearly Three Years Without Trial [Democracy Now]
    We look at the incredible story of how a 16-year-old high school sophomore from the Bronx ended up spending nearly three years locked up at the Rikers jail in New York City after he says he was falsely accused of stealing a backpack. Kalief Browder never pleaded guilty and was never convicted. Browder maintained his innocence and requested a trial, but was only offered plea deals while the trial was repeatedly delayed. Near the end of his time in jail, the judge offered to sentence him to time served if he entered a guilty plea, and warned him he could face 15 years in prison if he was convicted. But Browder still refused to accept the deal, and was only released when the case was dismissed. During this time, Browder spent nearly 800 days in solitary confinement, a juvenile imprisonment practice that the New York Department of Corrections has now banned.

f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    We have the government of a third world country, and our standard of living is falling to meet that.

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    ZEB5uQ6l.jpg

canadian_politics.jpg

C-13, the cyberbullying bill. The Supreme Court has already ruled that Police need warrants to get even basic subscriber data from ISPs, but the government is trying to ignore that and pass the bill anyway.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I.......have not been able to make quinoa taste good for me.

Boil it in broth.

Or throw in a little olive oil when you boil it, even.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I.......have not been able to make quinoa taste good for me.

it's practically like rice

it's got a mild nutty flavor but will absorb whatever you cook it with

I made cold quinoa salad out of it, it was good that way. Cucumbers, feta cheese, a little italian dressing.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »

Are...are European politics even worse than American politics? Is the 113th U.S. Congress as good as it gets? How did this happen?

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Lockout wrote: »

Accused of Stealing a Backpack, High School Student Jailed for Nearly Three Years Without Trial [Democracy Now]
    We look at the incredible story of how a 16-year-old high school sophomore from the Bronx ended up spending nearly three years locked up at the Rikers jail in New York City after he says he was falsely accused of stealing a backpack. Kalief Browder never pleaded guilty and was never convicted. Browder maintained his innocence and requested a trial, but was only offered plea deals while the trial was repeatedly delayed. Near the end of his time in jail, the judge offered to sentence him to time served if he entered a guilty plea, and warned him he could face 15 years in prison if he was convicted. But Browder still refused to accept the deal, and was only released when the case was dismissed. During this time, Browder spent nearly 800 days in solitary confinement, a juvenile imprisonment practice that the New York Department of Corrections has now banned.

fuck this fuck this fuck this fuck this fuck this

this fucking country jesus fucking christ

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »

Are...are European politics even worse than American politics? Is the 113th U.S. Congress as good as it gets? How did this happen?

The US is a Superpower, so clearly they must be doing something right and it's in everybody's best interest to be as much like them as possible.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

I thought folk had a right to a speedy trial?

• Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular

"One of only two states that automatically charge 16 and 17 year olds as adults" from the video.

Good job, New York. Way to just completely arbitrate the entire fucking case for having codified adulthood.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

They do have the right to a "trial within 6 months". But apparently those 6 months is Bureaucratic Calendar. Basically if the prosecution says "We're not ready to prosecute. We need one more week" then it's only one more week, even if the court reschedules the court hearing to be 6 weeks later. And if they delay again saying "We need one more week", it's still just two weeks.

Which is fucked up. And clearly
    a) Something that the prosecutor can abuse, and as such it's not legal according to normal jurisprudence which states that if there is wrangling to be had it has to be in the defendants favor.
    b) Against the intent of the law. And this is the 6th amendment and thus it's straight up unconstitutional.

Just yet another symptom of how fucked up retributive justice systems get, because when the intent is primarily to punish criminals then people don't give a shit about the rights of those who are at the mercy of the "justice" system.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Yes.

WHITE folk.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

Yes.

WHITE folk.

Doesn't hurt to have some money in the 'ole bank account either.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

Given this government's (hilariously delightful) track record with the Supreme Court, which bill isn't that?

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

Given this government's (hilariously delightful) track record with the Supreme Court, which bill isn't that?

The Levy Appropriate Taxes On The Rich Act?

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Sometimes I read things Cameron says and I just fucking seethe and find myself muttering "you fucking lying sack of wank".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YBumQHPAeU

• Options
    knight11eknight11e Registered User regular

don't worry, CB6, I got your joke. *brofist*

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    In actual Ukraine news, the war appears to be back on:

Rebels push to take Donetsk airport http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-29455133

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed. which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defense.

-Article 6 of the US Bill of Rights
    While this was an extreme case, it's pretty common for people to be stuck in jail for anywhere between three months to a year before a case goes to trial. Sort of gives you an inkling as to why plea deals are so effective: Most people literally can't afford to spend so much time in jail, and they certainly don't want to, so they're put in an awful bargaining position. This awful bargaining position has been statistically proven to literally make them less able to defend themselves from ridiculously harsh sentencing or charges that in other cases would be tossed out before reaching trial. Plea-bargaining is often the best bet for getting results that, if not fair, are at least fairer than the alternative.

Edit: I did not mean to awesome the above post. Awkward.

Gundi on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Can't you take the Awesome back by clicking it again?

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    The Turkish parliament voted 298-98 to authorize the use of military force against ISIS targets in Syria and Iraq.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Apparently the man in Dallas with Ebola, Thomas Eric Duncan, lied about contacting Ebola-stricken relatives while in Liberia. The BBC is reporting that Liberian officials are saying that Duncan filled out a questionnaire before leaving the country indicating that none of his relatives were sick. Their assistant health minister says that Duncan took a sick relative to a clinic in wheelbarrow. Liberia plans to prosecute Duncan for falsifying the questionnaire.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Apparently the man in Dallas with Ebola, Thomas Eric Duncan, lied about contacting Ebola-stricken relatives while in Liberia. The BBC is reporting that Liberian officials are saying that Duncan filled out a questionnaire before leaving the country indicating that none of his relatives were sick. Their assistant health minister says that Duncan took a sick relative to a clinic in wheelbarrow. Liberia plans to prosecute Duncan for falsifying the questionnaire.

not that lying about that is terrible, but contracting Ebola already seems like a terrible sentence for the man.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I dunno. He must not be completely mentally with it.

At no point did he think, oh, gee, I was in Liberia last week... maybe I should tell the ER Doctors that before they send me home.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I dunno. He must not be completely mentally with it.

At no point did he think, oh, gee, I was in Liberia last week... maybe I should tell the ER Doctors that before they send me home.

actually he did tell him he was in west africa. and they kicked him out anyway. source NYT

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Four days later, on Sept. 24, Mr. Duncan told doctors, he started to get sick. On Sept. 25, he went the emergency room with a fever and nausea.

He was sent home under the mistaken belief that he had only a mild fever, a hospital administrator said; the information that he had traveled from Liberia, one of the nations at the heart of the Ebola epidemic, was overlooked.

• Options
    Ugh... dumbasses.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Duncan did not begin to show symptoms until 24 September. Two days later he went to Texas Health Presbyterian hospital. Duncan told a nurse he had traveled from Liberia but the information was not relayed to other medical staff, who diagnosed him as suffering from a “low-grade common viral disease”, prescribed him antibiotics and let him leave.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/oct/02/dallas-ebola-us-patient-family-members

that is a pretty bad lapse in communication, although i'd chalk this up to first world complacency as well.

and god dammit they need to stop with the antibiotics when they don't even make sense!

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Well, I can't even imagine how the nurse could be so uninformed that the second the word "Liberia" is spoken the head director infectious diseases is paged and the patient immediately quarantined. It sounds like the nurse just wrote it down and then just sent him off to the waiting room.

This discussion has been closed.