As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[mlb] Fake Playoffs Now. Real Playoffs Soon.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Boston continues to ruin all of my hopes and dreams: Garrett Richards suffered a left patellar injury and had to be carted off.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    Fuck.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Schide wrote: »
    High K low BB home run hitters can work, but they tend not to if they can't work on leveled that ratio a bit. What is he right now...3.2 BB%, 38.7% K%...uh ok yeah, obviously SSS but that's not going to cut it. Even doing something like 5 BB% and 30 K%, it's going to kill the player's AVG and OBP, and severly limit their value even if they can hit 40 home runs. Then if they can't fix the ratio any more those players tend not to have a long shelf life.

But obviously he's only 21 and has tons of room to grow, so no one's writing him already. History just doesn't favor the guys that can't fix that stuff.

The biggest thing with walk rate (and K:BB in particular) is that it's less about hitting some sort of magical threshold and more an indication of a more fundamental ability - pitch recognition. If you can't walk and strike out tons, that implies that you can't identify pitches and are just guess-swinging constantly. If you can't walk but you are able to make hard contact and get hits, then nobody cares (note that making hard contact means you aren't striking out).

Telling a guy who has a terrible ratio to simply take more walks isn't going to do anything except make him worse, because he's going to just take pitches to try to walk. The guy doesn't know what's coming anyway, so he's going from guess-swinging to guess-not-swinging.

Vladimir Guerrero swung at almost everything, but it didn't matter because he knew what was coming and could actually hit those crazy pitches into the stands. I saw the guy swing at a pitch literally at his feet and turn it into a homer. You don't want a guy like that taking those pitches - you want him to smack the ball as far as he can every time. It's only when they get older that those players are forced to transition from using their physical gifts to muscle terrible pitches, to simply laying off them and taking their base instead.

It's not always a lack of pitch recognition. Sometimes it's a lack of bat control. Baez has a pretty violent swing in my opinion. If he could get it under control while maintaining most of his power, he will transform into Galactus, Devourer of Pitching

I dunno, I file "lack of bat control" under "dumbass". If you know where the ball is going but you swing so hard that you miss anyway, that makes you too stupid for baseball.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I was watching the game when that injury happened.

It did not look good.

• Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Schide wrote: »
    High K low BB home run hitters can work, but they tend not to if they can't work on leveled that ratio a bit. What is he right now...3.2 BB%, 38.7% K%...uh ok yeah, obviously SSS but that's not going to cut it. Even doing something like 5 BB% and 30 K%, it's going to kill the player's AVG and OBP, and severly limit their value even if they can hit 40 home runs. Then if they can't fix the ratio any more those players tend not to have a long shelf life.

But obviously he's only 21 and has tons of room to grow, so no one's writing him already. History just doesn't favor the guys that can't fix that stuff.

The biggest thing with walk rate (and K:BB in particular) is that it's less about hitting some sort of magical threshold and more an indication of a more fundamental ability - pitch recognition. If you can't walk and strike out tons, that implies that you can't identify pitches and are just guess-swinging constantly. If you can't walk but you are able to make hard contact and get hits, then nobody cares (note that making hard contact means you aren't striking out).

Telling a guy who has a terrible ratio to simply take more walks isn't going to do anything except make him worse, because he's going to just take pitches to try to walk. The guy doesn't know what's coming anyway, so he's going from guess-swinging to guess-not-swinging.

Vladimir Guerrero swung at almost everything, but it didn't matter because he knew what was coming and could actually hit those crazy pitches into the stands. I saw the guy swing at a pitch literally at his feet and turn it into a homer. You don't want a guy like that taking those pitches - you want him to smack the ball as far as he can every time. It's only when they get older that those players are forced to transition from using their physical gifts to muscle terrible pitches, to simply laying off them and taking their base instead.

It's not always a lack of pitch recognition. Sometimes it's a lack of bat control. Baez has a pretty violent swing in my opinion. If he could get it under control while maintaining most of his power, he will transform into Galactus, Devourer of Pitching

I dunno, I file "lack of bat control" under "dumbass". If you know where the ball is going but you swing so hard that you miss anyway, that makes you too stupid for baseball.

Or, ya know, hitting a baseball is still really hard.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Also, the harder you swing the bat the further the ball will fly when struck.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    4 wins and a NSVH today. Considering how my pitching's normally been, regardless of how the matchup goes I'm calling this week a personal win, especially after last week.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Jon jay has been plunked in the last six games. Jon jau owns

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah you guys are clearly ignoring the point so I'm not gonna bother.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular

I think you have to make a point first before we can ignore it.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    If only Giancarlo Stanton bunted every time he came up to bat. He'd never strike out.

• Options
    I'm surprisingly glad I picked up Brandon McCarthy.

• Options
    Nirya wrote: »

Hooked on Phonics. Check it out!

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    If only Giancarlo Stanton bunted every time he came up to bat. He'd never strike out.

If he bunted he still would hit a ball over the infielder

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014

i have never seen anyone be a goose for so little reason

and i've read like 50,000 jasconius posts

Jasconius on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2014
    Maximum wrote: »

but if he bunts foul with two strikes...

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular

So let's take a look.

Your argument seems to be based on the fact that someone of average intelligence and ability should be able to hit the ball if they "know where it is going." If a batter has knowledge of the ball's location and they routinely swing and miss then they are bad.

And while consistent failure to hit the ball is usually a significant indicator of being bad at baseball, I think you are vastly oversimplifying the process here.

• Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    I'm surprisingly glad I picked up Brandon McCarthy.

I feel the same about Phil Hughes

something I thought I'd never say

• Options
    Manny Machado will have surgery, and is likely done for 2014.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    seeing the twins kick the tigers around feels so good

Hjorvarthr on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Hjorvarthr wrote: »
    seeing the twins kick the tigers around feels so good

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    G3plJgy.png

ahahahahah

• Options
    jesus are they still making baseball mogul games

• Options
    So the Manny news is disheartening.

Baltimore, it can't just be easy and happy around here for too long.

• Options
    seems like a bad time to say jake arieta is pretty good, but I'm probably gonna say it anyways

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    FortyTwo wrote: »

Don't worry, the Jays have decided to completely shit the bed because they heard I had a moment of hope that they might play meaningful baseball in September for the first time in twenty years, so the O's will be fine.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    seems like a bad time to say jake arieta is pretty good, but I'm probably gonna say it anyways

Arrieta always had the talent, he needed a change of scenery. I think spending most of his days having to face stronger versions of the Yanks, Red Sox, and Rays didn't do him any favors. He was a maddening player because he would go on three-four start runs of absolute dominance and then it would just vanish for no real reason.

My message to the Cubs is tread lightly with Jake, if you get a solid offer for him in the offseason, you may want to take it.

I am glad to see him do well.

• Options
    I dunno. His peripheral stats are kind of indicating that he's pitching pretty close to how he's capable of pitching. I don't think he's necessarily a number one starter, but they have the money to go find those and he's pretty cheap.

• Options
    411Randle wrote: »
    FortyTwo wrote: »

Don't worry, the Jays have decided to completely shit the bed because they heard I had a moment of hope that they might play meaningful baseball in September for the first time in twenty years, so the O's will be fine.

Well, frankly, I was never concerned about the Jays. The Orioles are going to make the playoffs - and they will likely win the AL East. I just would have liked the Orioles to be at full-ish strength going into the playoffs.

I know that the Orioles' window of competition will always be small because of the Yanks and Sox and their spending habits. 2012 the Orioles went into the playoffs missing Markakis who was having a great year and was a key piece. This year the Orioles are missing Machado. Manny has only played in 89 games, and for the first month was basically Spring Training for him, but he is a big part of this team.

So the Orioles are going into the playoffs again missing a key piece. Free Agency looms for the org and the Yankees and Sox will reload as quickly as their bank accounts will allow.
    This was probably the best chance for the Orioles to go deep into the playoffs.

• Options
    Baez is the Two True Outcomes

• Options
    I dunno. His peripheral stats are kind of indicating that he's pitching pretty close to how he's capable of pitching. I don't think he's necessarily a number one starter, but they have the money to go find those and he's pretty cheap.

I really hope Jake has put it all together. Like I said, change of scenery was great for him.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Baez is the Two True Outcomes

He's like my RTTS 3B

• Options
    hahaha

it's happening again

I'm really sorry Tigers

but not really

• Options
    Detroit is on its 3rd pitcher and its only the bottom of the 3rd

where's JR?

SOMEBODY STOP THE DAMN MATCH

• Options
    edited August 2014
    ed: ^^ And this is game one of a doubleheader

Never forget the 24 hour span in which the Minnesota Twins scored at least 28 runs against a professional baseball team

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Stop stealing posts

• Options
    i don't care how many times baez strikes out as long as he keeps hitting 3 home runs per week, this is awesome

• Options
    boy uhh... looks like Verlander is just about finished

• Options
    The Tigers got David Price Jim Johnson because of the A's Royals.

This discussion has been closed.