As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pendragon] The Grand Pendragon Campaign (Only one Monty Python joke per person)

CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes RuleCapital WastelandRegistered User regular
edited April 2014 in Critical Failures
fQAQjBh.png

So, do you want to be a knight, go on awesome adventures, and kick some ass in the name of God and King? Well, have I got a game for you!

What is the Pendragon Roleplaying Game
Honestly? It's playing as a knight in Arthurian legend and accumulating as much glory as possible. No real gimmicks or anything.

It's just really, really good at it.

Fair warning: There's a lot of random generation in making a character, and it can turn out pretty lopsided. The upside is that knights have a base competence level that's there to prevent someone from playing "Sir Scrawny the Coward." It's just that someone just might roll up a guy that might be the next Lancelot.

Being a knight sounds awesome, how do I play!
Pretty much everything in the game uses a d20 roll under system. If you roll your exact skill, that's awesome. If your roll a 20, that's terrible. It's pretty simple.

So, what's this about a Grand Pendragon Campaign
Well, it's pretty much the best supplement for any game ever printed. It covers the 85-year long period from King Uther Pendragon's reign until the Death of King Arthur, with events and rumors and other going-ons each year.

85 year long campaign? That's a bit... ambitious.

Well, yeah. However, this is basically why Pendragon was made. Most years pass with a short adventure, chatting up the court for rumors and gossip, and the winter session, so the pace is pretty quick. The winter session is where you go back to your lord's castle (or your own!), chill, and improve your skills. Unless your older than 35, when you start have to making age rolls to avoid becoming... well... old.

There's about even odds that you'll die during the winter sessions instead of actually dying in combat.

Oh, that's right. I almost forgot to mention. There's no way you're living through the whole set of years. You're going to die. Probably several times.

Wait, what?

Well, yeah. It's medieval times. You're not going to be pulling a Methuselah here. When you die, you'll play your son or brother. And when he dies, you'll play your next child. And so on and so forth. Think of it like a really zoomed in version of a Paradox succession game. Especially since your children inherit your lands and a portion of your glory.

Ok, sign me up!

Great! If you don't have the book, I can work you through the character creation.

The Great Pendragon Campaign begins in 485 A.D., during the reign of King Uther Pendragon. Uther has already been reigning for 5 years. He has led his armies in many battles, and, though not always victorious, he has generally kept the land safe, as had his brother before him. Uther is the King of Logres, but his hold is weak over three of his most powerful lords — the dukes of Cornwall, Caercolun, and Lindsey. Fortunately, the strongest of them all, Duke Ulfius of Silchester (basically, the Thames Valley), is a loyal vassal. Saxon invaders have established several small but warlike kingdoms on British soil. Their raiders are a constant menace, and there is still a good chance that they will get together an army and attack more cities and lands.

QN9d7Ba.png

Capfalcon on

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Knighted in 485
    discrider - Sir Lamprey, 21 years old
    Auralynx - Sir Rothery, 21 years old
    PACherrn - Sir Cerdic of Cymryn Hill, 28 years old
    Anzekay - Sir Arzosah Sothy of Brienne, 23 years old
    GunMetalDrac - Ser Corwin Sabinus of Carisbrooke, 24 years old
    El Skid - Sir Gunthar the Huge, 23 years old

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Hmm. Hmmmm. I've got a bit of a character concept.

• Options
    PACherrnPACherrn Registered User regular
    This sounds immensely cool, I must admit! I am interested!

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm pretty interested in this idea too

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I'm interested. Haven't played this at all though.

• Options
    Buddha73Buddha73 Registered User regular
    Never heard of this game but since i am huge King Arthur fan i can't say no! I'm interested.

• Options
    GunMetalDracGunMetalDrac Registered User regular
    If you are ok with a person new to the forums(and have the room), i'd love to play. I've always been interested in a Crusader Kings-esque game.

• Options
    Glad to see I've got some takers!

All right, so character generation is straightforward.

So, the three most important parts of your character is your passions, your traits, and your skills.

Your Traits: You'll roll 13 sets 3d6. You can then assign them to any trait you want. The trait and it's opposite have to add up to 20, so if you assign a 14 to Chaste, you have a 6 in Lustful.

Alternatively, you can put a 10 in everything, a 13 in all your religious traits, a 15 in Valorous, and a 16 anywhere you choose.

These traits are mostly guidelines about how your character feels. They can go up or down as you act for or against them, but they're not going to make you act a certain way unless you've got them at 16+. Even then, if you roll over them, you can act the way you want.
    Chaste / Lustful
    Being Chaste is about monogamy and faithfulness to the sexual mores of one's culture, not necessarily being virginal; A Chaste character who's married can still have kids. Being Lustful is about saying "Eh, fuck that, I wanna get laid."
    *Energetic / Lazy
    Do what needs to be done today/Eh, I'll get around to it.
    Forgiving / Vengeful
    Turn the other cheek/Eye for an eye
    *Generous / Selfish
    Probably the signature Trait of King Arthur, Generous covers the largess of Saxon and Cymric chieftains and the Christian virtue of charity. A measure of how likely your character is to say "fuck you, I got mine."
    Honest / Deceitful
    Straightforward.
    *Just / Arbitrary
    A Just character makes impartial decision based on fairness, right and wrong, etc. An Arbitrary character doesn't care about that, and makes decisions based on anything else. (If it's good for me/not good for me, Helps my lord/doesn't help my lord, I'm in a good mood/I'm in a bad mood, etc.)
    *Merciful / Cruel
    Straightforward
    *Modest / Proud
    Do you want to brag, or not? This is another one that has deeper impacts on play than most people think; modest people tend to downplay their own accomplishments and so can get less Glory, and yet for the 'default' cultural and religious values being modest is preferable.
    Pious / Worldly
    A pious person doesn't just give lip service to their religion; they believe it. Pious/Worldly has no impact on actually doing religious things, but it's a guide to how well your character lives their faith.
    Prudent / Reckless
    "Hey guys, maybe we should have a plan before we attack the giant."/"Eh, screw that."
    Temperate / Indulgent
    A Temperate character takes only what they need from life - food, drink, et cetera. An Indulgent person takes more. Sometimes lots more.
    Trusting / Suspicious
    Self explanatory, except that acting jealously falls under Suspicion.
    *Valorous / Cowardly
    Yep. Another pretty self-explanatory one.

The italicized traits are the traits for a Christian Knight. Any knight with with a 16 or above in all those traits is a true Christian Knight, and gains +6 hit points.
    The traits with an * are the traits of Chivilary. If the sum of all these traits is 80 or more, the character gains +3 Armor.

Your stats: You roll 2d6+6 for SIZ, 3d6 for DEX, STR, CON, and APP, and then we add +3 CON for being Cymric. You can reroll ones.

Alternatively, you can take a 60 point buy, at a 1 for 1 rate.

These stats are pretty important in and of themselves, and can be rolled against in the same way skills are (but that should happen pretty rarely, really). Dropping below 3 in a statistic means your character is bedridden, and dropping to 0 means your character flat dies - yes, even 0 APP will kill you. Since you can lose statistic points every in-game year after you turn 35, during the Winter Phase (to be explained later), this means that minmaxing can be a really risky proposition.

Then there are the Derived Statistics.
    Your Damage is how hard you hit... with almost anything. While different weapons can do different things, many of them don't do additional damage, or only add damage in certain circumstances (like an enemy wearing chain armor or using a shield). Damage is equivalent to (SIZ+STR)/6 in d6 (so that a character with SIZ 15 and STR 11 does 4d6 in damage - use 'standard' rounding rules).

Healing Rate is the number of hit points you get back after a week of resting quietly; it is (CON+STR)/10.

Movement Rate is the number of yards per melee round that a character can walk while wearing armor; running, or not wearing armor, obviously increases a guy's speed. (STR+DEX)/10.

Total Hit Points should be pretty self-explanatory to anyone who's played roleplaying games. Or most video games. (CON+SIZ)

Unconscious is an HP threshold; drop below your Unconscious number and you're taking a nap, though you're not in danger of death (usually). HP/4.

Finally, there's your skills.
    *Awareness is noticing things, spotting ambushes, picking out small details.
    *Boating is not falling overboard and drowning while on a water vessel.
    *Chirurgery is Medieval Surgery. You don't have it and may never get it; it's not considered an appropriate skill for knights to study. Make sure you're friends with someone that has it, though (ladies are a good choice for this), because it's very helpful in Not Dying.
    *Compose is writing songs, poetry, ballads, and war chants.
    *Courtesy is knowing which fork to use and also knowing that it's who's on the outs in court.
    *Dancing should be self-explanatory.
    *Faerie Lore is knowing about the fey folk; Fey Knights and otherworldly elves and such may well show up from time to time and this skill covers knowing what they're all about.
    *Falconry is the art of hunting with birds, a very popular pasttime among nobles of both genders and most cultures.
    *First Aid is knowing that maybe letting all that blood fall out of your sword wound is bad. It's purely triage work.
    *Flirting isn't necessarily the beginning of a seduction, though obviously it can be; still, it is not unknown for the nobility to flirt for the sheer enjoyment of it.
    *Folk Lore is all those stories your nanny told you about monsters and dragons and boiling these plants in order to make love potions and whatever. Most of it's useless. Some of it's life-saving. Being a skill beloved of peasants, it is considered non-knightly, so you'll get some raised eyebrows if you're really knowledgeable about it.
    *Gaming covers most recreational games of chance and skill. Checkers, dice, backgammon, whatever.
    *Heraldry is an important skill. Everyone has all these coats of arms and personal sigils and household badges and stuff; Heraldry covers knowing which sign belongs to who. Very useful for seeing a knight's shield and saying "Hey, that's Sir Lancelot, maybe we shouldn't throw these tomatoes at him."
    *Hunting is for tracking game, of course, but also for caring for your hunting hounds, knowing whether a beast is good eatin', butchering the kill, knowing what the different blasts on a hunting horn man, and general woodlands knowledge.
    *Industry is another non-knightly skill; it's for building things and doing "honest work" like weaving or dying or tanning or farming. Basically, if peasants or women do it it's Industry. Knights who use an Industry skill are typically mocked to the point of being stripped of their rank!
    *Intrigue is knowing how to listening to rumors and planting your own rumors and lying at any time.
    *Orate is speaking clearly, fluently, and dramatically. Speechifyin'.
    *Play (instrument) is, y'know, playing an instrument. Of the popular period instruments, only the harp and the lute are considered appropriate for knights to use; others are for commoners only, for various silly reasons (it was thought that flute-playing pinched the features and made the player look silly, for instance), though cultural exceptions may exist (bagpipes are okay for Irish nobles). While trumpets and drums exist, they are not for the making of music but rather for battles.
    *Read (symbols) is a very rare skill for a knight or indeed anyone to have. Reading is for priests and magicians, after all.
    *Recognize is being able to put a face to a name; it's like Heraldry, but for faces, not shields. It can be used to know things about a name you've heard, as well.
    *Religion (faith) covers both following one's religion and knowing things about it; it does not indicate how much a person believes (that's the Piety trait) or what they feel in their heart (that would be a Passion) but how much they know.
    *Romance is the tradition of fine amor or Courtly Love. A Lady of class and station requires more than flowers and an inviting wink; that's what this skill is for.
    *Singing is self-explanatory.
    *Stewardship isn't typically knightly, though there is no penalty for excelling at it; it is managing a farm or holding effectively. Most landowning Knights turn Stewardship duties over to their wife or (if they have one) their baliff; managing a household, after all, takes time that could otherwise be used for war or jousting or Strange Adventure.
    *Swimming is the art of getting into water and not breathing it and sinking like a stone.
    *Tourney is not participation in the battle portions of a tournament, like a joust or a melee - it's running one and knowing how to behave at the portions of the tourney that don't involve breaking heads. Knowing how to set up one's pavilion before entering the lists, for instance, or knowing how to publicize one's tourney to ensure attendance.

In addition, there's weapon skills. You should probably just pick one to specialize in. Lances are good to know how to use as well.
    *Axes do an additional die of damage against opponents using a shield.
    *Bows do 3d6 damage, period.
    *Crossbows do variable damage depending on how large they are, and take time to reload. A light crossbow does 1d6+10 and can be fired once a round; Mediums do 1d6+13 and fire every two rounds; heavies do 1d6+16 and fire every four rounds. Knights should never, ever use them. The Pope has outlawed its use against Christians (though the commoners seem not to have heard).
    *Daggers do one die of damage less than usual.
    *Flails do an additional die against anyone wearing chainmail and ignores any protection from a shield, but on a natural roll of 1 they hit the user instead of the enemy, for full damage.
    *The Greataxe is a two-handed weapon and does an additional 1d6 against everything, plus an extra 1d6 vs. shields.
    *The Greatspear is a two-handed spear that gains a +5 skill modifier against mounted targets, thus negating the penalty an unmounted person faces while attacking a mounted combatant. This is the skill used for boar spears, also.
    *The Greatsword does 1d6 extra damage to everyone. On a tied attack roll the greatsword breaks their opponent's weapon (unless it's a sword: see swords).
    *The Halberd is a two haned weapon and does 1d6 extra damage and, when used by a footman, provides a +5 skill bonus when used against horsemen (negaing the usual penalty for an unmounted person attacking a mounted foe).
    *The Hammer does an extra d6 damage to anyone wearing plate-style armor (partial plate, full plate, and Gothic Plate, some of which are not available until the later years of Arthur's reign).
    *Javelins do two fewer dice of damage (minimum 1d6) but can be thrown.
    *The Lance is special in that it does not use a character's Damage rating when the character is doing a mounted charge; instead there is a special Damage rating for horses that determines a lance's damage. A Charger-mounted knight does 6d6 with a lance, for instance - 8d6 on a Destrier. For smaller knights, lances make a great equalizer. Using a lance against an enemy using anything that isn't a lance or a greatspear gives the lancer a +5 skill modifier when charging; when not charging, the lance uses the spear skill. If the damage done by a spear is an odd number the spear breaks.
    *Maces do an extra 1d6 vs. chainmail.
    *Morning Stars are two-handed and do an extra 1d6 damage to everyone (like all two-handed weapons) and an extra 1d6 vs. chainmail.
    *Spears cannot be thrown like javelins, but they can be used from horseback like a lance (and when used in a lance charge, they break on an odd numbered damage roll like any lance).
    *Warflails are just like regular flails only two-handed, and thus get an extra 1d6 damage on top of all the other flail stuff.
    *Finally, swords seem pretty boring compared to all of the above, huh? Well, swords are awesome, and here's why - swords don't break. Every other weapon on the list (save the greatsword) breaks when the user fumbles, but swords don't break, they just drop - and on a tied resolution roll a sword breaks any non-sword weapon.

Starting values for young knights are as follows:
    Awareness 5
    Boating 1
    Chirurgery 0
    Compose 1
    Courtesy 3
    Dancing 2
    Faerie Lore 1
    Falconry 3
    First Aid 10
    Flirting 3
    Folk Lore 2
    Gaming 3
    Heraldry 3
    Hunting 2
    Industry 0
    Intrigue 3
    Orate 3
    Play (Instrument) 3
    Read 0
    Recognize 3
    Religion (Christian) 2
    Romance 2
    Singing 2
    Stewardship 2
    Swimming 2
    Tourney 2

Battle 10
    Horsemanship 10
    Weapon of Choice 10
    Lance 10
    Spear 6
    Dagger 5

On top of this, you do the following:
    1. Choose a knightly skill at which you excel. Make it a 15 instead of the listed value.
    2. Choose 3 noncombat skills (except First Aid) at which you excel. Add 10 to them.
    3. Add 10 points as you choose (raising nothing above 15)

Now, you've made a 15 year old Squire! But you can't be knighted until you're 21. Each year that passes lets you do ONE of the following.
    2. Add 1d6 to a skill. You can't raise a skill you have no ranks in or raise one above 15 this way.
    3. Add a point to a trait or stat. Stats cannot go above 18 this way (Except for your con, due to the +3.)

If you want, you can even age your knight past 21 all the way to 35! But, remember, Winters are Coming.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Geth roll 3d6 for Chaste / Lustful
    Geth roll 3d6 for *Energetic / Lazy
    Geth roll 3d6 for Forgiving / Vengeful
    Geth roll 3d6 for *Generous / Selfish
    Geth roll 3d6 for Honest / Deceitful
    Geth roll 3d6 for *Just / Arbitrary
    Geth roll 3d6 for *Merciful / Cruel
    Geth roll 3d6 for *Modest / Proud
    Geth roll 3d6 for Pious / Worldly
    Geth roll 3d6 for Prudent / Reckless
    Geth roll 3d6 for Temperate / Indulgent
    Geth roll 3d6 for Trusting / Suspicious
    Geth roll 3d6 for *Valorous / Cowardly
    I'm guessing the actual score goes into the positive side.

And then the all important stats!

Geth roll 2d6r1+6 for SIZ
    Geth roll 3d6r1 for DEX
    Geth roll 3d6r1 for STR
    Geth roll 3d6r1 for CON
    Geth roll 3d6r1 for APP

Chaste / Lustful:
    3d6 14 [3d6=6, 6, 2]
    *Energetic / Lazy:
    3d6 7 [3d6=3, 2, 2]
    Forgiving / Vengeful:
    3d6 14 [3d6=5, 3, 6]
    *Generous / Selfish:
    3d6 4 [3d6=1, 2, 1]
    Honest / Deceitful:
    3d6 8 [3d6=1, 3, 4]
    *Just / Arbitrary:
    3d6 5 [3d6=1, 2, 2]
    *Merciful / Cruel:
    3d6 13 [3d6=6, 1, 6]
    *Modest / Proud:
    3d6 14 [3d6=3, 6, 5]
    Pious / Worldly:
    3d6 8 [3d6=1, 6, 1]
    Prudent / Reckless:
    3d6 9 [3d6=3, 4, 2]
    Temperate / Indulgent:
    3d6 9 [3d6=2, 1, 6]
    Trusting / Suspicious:
    3d6 9 [3d6=1, 2, 6]
    *Valorous / Cowardly:
    3d6 13 [3d6=6, 3, 4]
    SIZ:
    2d6r1+6 14 [2d6r1=6, 2]
    DEX:
    3d6r1 12 [3d6r1=5, 4, 3]
    STR:
    3d6r1 14 [3d6r1=6, 6, 2]
    CON:
    3d6r1 13 [3d6r1=6, 3, 4]
    APP:
    3d6r1 15 [3d6r1=6, 6, 3]

discrider on
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Chaste 14, Forgiving 14, Modest 14, Merciful 13, Valorous 13, Reckless 11, Indulgent 11, Suspicious 11, Deceitful 12, Worldly 12, Lazy 13, Arbitrary 15, Selfish 16.

Long live the king.

Derived stats:
    Damage: 4d6
    Healing Rate: 3 (Con above forgot the +3)
    Movement Rate: 2
    Total Hit Points: 30
    Unconscious: 6

Capfalcon wrote: »
    You'll inherit 179 glory and your family's gift is a love for Heraldry (+10 Heraldry)
    Passions:
    Loyalty 15 (King Uthur)
    6L (Librum) each year
    Love 15 (Family)
    Hospitality 15.

All right, finally, the starting gear:
    Chainmail (10 armor and -10 to dex rolls) and shield (+6 armor if you succeed on your defense check.)
    Sword, another weapon, Spear, Dagger
    Fine clothing for court (worth 1L)
    Personal gear
    Charger (6d6 Lance Damage)
    Two Roncys (4d6 Lance Damage)
    -One for you and one for your squire to ride around on the countryside.
    One Pack horse

Awareness 5 10
    Boating 1
    Chirurgery 0
    Compose 1
    Courtesy 15
    Dancing 2
    Faerie Lore 1
    Falconry 3
    First Aid 10
    Flirting 3
    Folk Lore 2
    Gaming 3
    Heraldry 3 13
    Hunting 2
    Industry 0
    Intrigue 13
    Orate 13
    Play (Instrument) 3
    Read 0
    Recognize 13
    Religion (Christian) 2
    Romance 2
    Singing 2
    Stewardship 2
    Swimming 2
    Tourney 2

Battle 10 15
    Horsemanship 10
    Sword 0 7
    Axe 10 13
    Lance 10 15
    Spear 6
    Dagger 5

Years: Dump all into skills.
    6d6, Going in order into Lance, Battle, Awareness, holding at 13.
    Geth roll 6d6

And then a name:
    Sir Lamprey

6d6 16 [6d6=6, 1, 1, 3, 1, 4]

discrider on
  • Options
    @Capfalcon I assume this is Pendragon 5.1 right? If so, in a stroke of luck, my Dad already owns the PDFs!

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    ... with a limit of one Monty Python joke each, can I make a comedy-relief knight if I exercise heroic restraint about that one area?

• Options
    edited April 2014
    @discrider I goofed in my explanation. The traits don't have to be in order, so you can arrange them how you want. You're right, though, about the score going into the positive side.
    Anzekay wrote: »
    @Capfalcon I assume this is Pendragon 5.1 right? If so, in a stroke of luck, my Dad already owns the PDFs!

Yep! (I, er, stole a little of the character creation from 4E though.)
    Auralynx wrote: »
    ... with a limit of one Monty Python joke each, can I make a comedy-relief knight if I exercise heroic restraint about that one area?

Nothing says Orate has to be serious!

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    Alright, random is always fun so let's see how we do here.

Geth roll 3d6r1 for DEX
    Geth roll 3d6r1 for STR
    Geth roll 3d6r1 for CON
    Geth roll 3d6r1 for APP

Chaste / Lustful:
    3d6 11 [3d6=1, 5, 5]
    *Energetic / Lazy:
    3d6 9 [3d6=1, 6, 2]
    Forgiving / Vengeful:
    3d6 10 [3d6=4, 4, 2]
    *Generous / Selfish:
    3d6 9 [3d6=6, 1, 2]
    Honest / Deceitful:
    3d6 13 [3d6=3, 6, 4]
    *Just / Arbitrary:
    3d6 10 [3d6=4, 3, 3]
    *Merciful / Cruel:
    3d6 10 [3d6=4, 1, 5]
    *Modest / Proud:
    3d6 10 [3d6=2, 4, 4]
    Pious / Worldly:
    3d6 9 [3d6=3, 1, 5]
    Prudent / Reckless:
    3d6 16 [3d6=4, 6, 6]
    Temperate / Indulgent:
    3d6 12 [3d6=5, 1, 6]
    Trusting / Suspicious:
    3d6 10 [3d6=1, 4, 5]
    *Valorous / Cowardly:
    3d6 9 [3d6=1, 2, 6]
    SIZ:
    2d6r1+6 18 [2d6r1=6, 6]
    DEX:
    3d6r1 11 [3d6r1=2, 3, 6]
    STR:
    3d6r1 11 [3d6r1=2, 6, 3]
    CON:
    3d6r1 9 [3d6r1=2, 5, 2]
    APP:
    3d6r1 11 [3d6r1=6, 3, 2]

• Options
    That's... impressively vanilla traits.

• Options
    That max size roll though! The rest is yeah, pretty average across the board.

• Options
    @capfalcon Not gonna lie, I wouldn't mind rerolling the traits (but keeping the stats) if you don't mind?

Vanilla is, well, generally only good when it's icecream or scented candles.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Okay, let's roll some dice I guess.

Geth roll 3d6r1 for DEX
    Geth roll 3d6r1 for STR
    Geth roll 3d6r1 for CON
    Geth roll 3d6r1 for APP

Sir Rothery Lething, the Lombard
    Chaste / Lustful: 12 /8
    *Energetic / Lazy: 10 / 10
    Forgiving / Vengeful: 15 / 5
    *Generous / Selfish: 15 / 5
    Honest / Deceitful: 12 / 8
    *Just / Arbitrary: 10 / 10
    *Merciful / Cruel: 12 / 8
    *Modest / Proud: 15 / 5
    Pious / Worldly: 7 / 13
    Prudent / Reckless: 6 / 14
    Temperate / Indulgent: 7 / 13
    Trusting / Suspicious: 19 / 1
    *Valorous / Cowardly: 7 / 13

Race: Lombard (Saxon)
    SIZ: 17 (14+3)
    DEX: 8 (11-3)
    STR: 17 (14+3)
    CON: 13
    APP: 14

Damage: 6d6 (34/6 -> 6), Healing Rate: 3, Movement Rate 3, HP: 30 / 30, Unconscious: 8

Loyalty 15 (Uther)
    Hospitality 15
    Love 15 (As-yet-not-here family)

Skills
    Awareness 5
    Boating 10+3
    Chirurgery 0
    Compose 2
    Courtesy 5
    Dancing 2
    Faerie Lore 2 +1 Age
    Falconry 2 + 15
    First Aid 5
    Flirting 2
    Folk Lore 2 + 10
    Gaming 3
    Heraldry 2 + 10
    Hunting 5 + 10
    Industry 0 + 5
    Intrigue 2
    Orate 3
    Play (Harp) 3
    Read 0
    Recognize 2
    Religion (Christian) 2
    Romance 2
    Singing 3
    Stewardship 2 15
    Swimming 10+3
    Tourney 3

Battle 3
    Horsemanship 5
    Mace 12
    Lance 8
    Spear 4
    Dagger 3

Phat Arthurian Loot:
    Chainmail (10 armor and -10 to dex rolls) and shield (+6 armor if you succeed on your defense check.)
    Sword, Mace, Spear, Dagger
    Fine clothing for court (worth 1L)
    Personal gear: A small merchant's scale, a gold amulet shaped like a coiling snake, excellent boots
    -One for you and one for your squire to ride around on the countryside.
    One Pack horse

Description
    Heraldry: A yellow serpent wrapped around a white sword on a checkered gray and black field.

Rothery is a huge, mustachioed and bearded foreigner with black hair who towers over most men of Prydain and many of his Saxon cousins. One of several younger sons of King Godwin of the Lombards - or so he says - he arrived in Logres in a Saxon ship not too long ago to seek his fortune. Hearing of the mighty King Uther from a band of monks, he was convinced to seek honorable service in the court of Prydain's foremost ruler by a particularly persuasive abbot.

Rothery's manor is located along the river Stour, near Ipswich.

Chaste / Lustful:
    3d6 12 [3d6=6, 4, 2]
    *Energetic / Lazy:
    3d6 10 [3d6=2, 6, 2]
    Forgiving / Vengeful:
    3d6 5 [3d6=1, 2, 2]
    *Generous / Selfish:
    3d6 15 [3d6=6, 3, 6]
    Honest / Deceitful:
    3d6 8 [3d6=2, 3, 3]
    *Just / Arbitrary:
    3d6 10 [3d6=4, 1, 5]
    *Merciful / Cruel:
    3d6 8 [3d6=2, 1, 5]
    *Modest / Proud:
    3d6 15 [3d6=3, 6, 6]
    Pious / Worldly:
    3d6 13 [3d6=6, 2, 5]
    Prudent / Reckless:
    3d6 6 [3d6=3, 1, 2]
    Temperate / Indulgent:
    3d6 13 [3d6=5, 3, 5]
    Trusting / Suspicious:
    3d6 6 [3d6=1, 4, 1]
    *Valorous / Cowardly:
    3d6 13 [3d6=6, 3, 4]
    SIZ:
    2d6r1+6 14 [2d6r1=5, 3]
    DEX:
    3d6r1 11 [3d6r1=5, 3, 3]
    STR:
    3d6r1 14 [3d6r1=5, 5, 4]
    CON:
    3d6r1 13 [3d6r1=4, 3, 6]
    APP:
    3d6r1 14 [3d6r1=5, 4, 5]

Auralynx on
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Eh, being average with two notable traits is workable enough, I feel. I'm kinda loathe to do rerolls outside of really terrible situations. And the good thing about being vanilla is that it's pretty easy to shape your stats the way you want through play.

(I.E. when you act generous, you roll generous, and, if you succeed, you move the stat towards generous.

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    True enough!

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I am in the process of making a trusting, generous idiot. Will be editing that roll post as I go along.

Couple questions:

Standard rounding is, what, over half goes up?

Can I be German ( / Italian, if he's a Lombard) instead? I notice there is a Con bonus for being from Britain; is there a different bonus for being German instead?

Assuming I raise Trusting to 20, that is probably not a "good," idea by the accepted definition of "good," right?

Auralynx on
  • Options
    The way I see it, none of these traits are 'good' or 'bad' to have higher than the other- they just define how things go and give your character strengths in areas and weaknesses in others. It's all very Arthurian.

Having trusting in 20 means you character will be as gullible as you can get, but chances are people will trust him considerably as well, and probably view him with a much more positive light than someone who seems a bit more deceitful.

• Options
    Right, that's what I'd expect, just wanted to know if it was okay / not-crazy to go that route.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Standard rounding is, what, over half goes up?

Yeah.
    Can I be German ( / Italian, if he's a Lombard) instead? I notice there is a Con bonus for being from Britain; is there a different bonus for being German instead?

Well, the cultures in the book are pretty bare, but I think Roman can be close enough to Italians if you want to use it. They get -1 STR, +2 DEX, +2 APP.

Also, they can learn Chichurgury and can start with five points in it, at the expense of boating and compose. Other knights will still think you're gross, though.

Just to keep things simple, you'll still get knighted and swear to Uthur.
    Assuming I raise Trusting to 20, that is probably not a "good," idea by the accepted definition of "good," right?

Well, other than you can't raise a trait past 19 using your year bonuses, it wouldn't be "bad" either.
    In addition, it would probably put you well on your way to being a Romantic Knight.

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    Roman's neat, but that's maybe not a good match. The Lombards were a bunch of German dudes who kicked around the Danube area in the late Roman period, then conquered and settled in most of northern Italy once a vacuum developed. Saxon might be closer; they were neighbors at one point.

• Options
    Alright, starting stats and traits:
    Chaste 11
    Energetic 11
    Forgiving 10
    Generous 11
    Honest 13
    Just 10
    Merciful 10
    Modest 10
    Pious 11
    Prudent 4
    Temperate 12
    Trusting 10
    Valourous 11

SIZ 18
    DEX 11+1=12
    STR 11+2=13
    CON 12+2=14
    APP 11

Starting skills
    Awareness 5
    Boating 1
    Chirurgery 0
    Compose 1
    Courtesy 3
    Dancing 2
    Faerie Lore 1
    Falconry 3 13
    First Aid 10
    Flirting 3
    Folk Lore 2
    Gaming 3
    Heraldry 3 13
    Hunting 2 12
    Industry 0
    Intrigue 3
    Orate 3
    Play (Instrument) 3
    Read 0+2=2
    Recognize 3
    Religion (Christian) 2
    Romance 2
    Singing 2
    Stewardship 2
    Swimming 2
    Tourney 2

Battle 10+2 =12
    Horsemanship 10
    Flail 10
    Greatsword 0 15
    Lance 10+3 =13
    Spear 6
    Dagger 5

We'll age 8 years, to 23
    +5 to stats (STR, STR, DEX, CON, CON) +1d6 to 3 skills (Flail, Horsemanship, Awareness)
    Geth roll 3d6

3d6 15 [3d6=6, 5, 4]

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Alright, that gives us the final Knight!

Sir Arzosah Sothy of Brienne.
    23 Year old lady Knight.
    174 Glory.
    Chaste 11 / Lustful 9
    Energetic 11 / Lazy 9
    Forgiving 10 / Vengeful 10
    Generous 11 / Selfish 9
    Honest 13 / Deceitful 7
    Just 10 / Arbitrary 10
    Merciful 10 / Cruel 10
    Modest 10 / Proud 10
    Pious 11 / Worldly 9
    Prudent 4 / Reckless 16
    Temperate 12 / Indulgent 8
    Trusting 10 / Suspicious 10
    Valourous 11 / Cowardly 9

SIZ 18
    DEX 12
    STR 13
    CON 14
    APP 11

Damage 5d6
    Healing Rate 3
    Movement 3
    Hit Points 32
    Unconscious threshold 8

Awareness 9
    Boating 1
    Chirurgery 0
    Compose 1
    Courtesy 3
    Dancing 2
    Faerie Lore 1
    Falconry 13
    First Aid 10
    Flirting 3
    Folk Lore 2
    Gaming 3
    Heraldry 15
    Hunting 12
    Industry 0
    Intrigue 3
    Orate 3
    Play (Instrument) 3
    Read 2
    Recognize 3
    Religion (Christian) 2
    Romance 2
    Singing 2
    Stewardship 2
    Swimming 2
    Tourney 2

Battle 12
    Horsemanship 20
    Flail 15
    Greatsword 15
    Lance 13
    Spear 6
    Dagger 5

Chainmail
    Shield
    Greatsword
    Flail
    Spear
    Dagger
    Fine clothing (worth 1L)
    Personal gear
    One Pack horse

EDIT: Somehow I missed 2 of my starting skill bonuses (only had 2 in read, 2 in battle, 1 to open greatsword, 3 in lance) so I'll put them both into Heraldry to make it 15

Anzekay on
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Ok, here's the Saxon skill list. They're good at things on the water, hunting, and fantastic mustaches. Culturally, they favor axes, but you can choose your weapon.

Also, they're giant monsters of men, getting +3 SIZ, -3 DEX, +3 STR.
    Awareness 5
    Boating 10
    Chirurgery 0
    Compose 2
    Courtesy 5
    Dancing 2
    Faerie Lore 2
    Falconry 2
    First Aid 5
    Flirting 2
    Folk Lore 2
    Gaming 3
    Heraldry 2
    Hunting 5
    Industry 0
    Intrigue 2
    Orate 3
    Play (harp) 0
    Read ( ) 0
    Recognize 2
    Religion ( ) 2
    Romance 2
    Singing 3
    Stewardship 2
    Swimming 10
    Tourney 3

Battle 3
    Horsemanship 5
    Weapon 12
    Lance 8
    Spear 4
    Dagger 3

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    Will a 2.5 round up, or down?

• Options
  • Options
    Alright, all sorted then! I'll sleep on it and think up a bit of history for her in the morning.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Let's roll some dice!
    Geth roll 13#3d6 for cool traits
    Geth roll 2d6+6 for size
    Geth roll 3d6 for dex
    Geth roll 3d6 for str
    Geth roll 3d6+6 for Con
    Geth roll 3d6 for APP

EDIT: Damn edit didn't work :(

cool traits:
    13#3d6 13 # 5 [3d6=1, 2, 2] 7 [3d6=3, 3, 1] 5 [3d6=1, 1, 3] 13 [3d6=2, 5, 6] 8 [3d6=2, 5, 1] 8 [3d6=3, 1, 4] 11 [3d6=3, 5, 3] 13 [3d6=4, 3, 6] 8 [3d6=3, 2, 3] 6 [3d6=1, 3, 2] 13 [3d6=4, 3, 6] 9 [3d6=2, 6, 1] 10 [3d6=4, 4, 2]
    size:
    2d6+6 10 [2d6=3, 1]
    dex:
    3d6 11 [3d6=1, 6, 4]
    str:
    3d6 6 [3d6=2, 3, 1]
    Con:
    3d6+6 16 [3d6=4, 2, 4]
    APP:
    3d6 15 [3d6=4, 5, 6]

PACherrn on
  • Options
    Works for me. I have a giant, dumb foreigner who is good with boats!

Geth roll 1d6 for Faerie Lore bonus?

Faerie Lore bonus?:
    1d6 1 [1d6=1]

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Two things.

1. I goofed. You can put the trait on either side. (Chase 14 or Lustful 14, etc.)
    2. @PACherrn you forgot to reroll ones on your stats. Use 3d6r1. Also, you only get +3 to con.

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    GunMetalDracGunMetalDrac Registered User regular
    Let's see what I get. Again, a little new to this so apologies for improper formatting.

Geth roll 3d6r1 for DEX
    Geth roll 3d6r1 for STR
    Geth roll 3d6r1 for CON
    Geth roll 3d6r1 for APP

Chaste / Lustful:
    3d6 12 [3d6=3, 3, 6]
    *Energetic / Lazy:
    3d6 13 [3d6=1, 6, 6]
    Forgiving / Vengeful:
    3d6 5 [3d6=2, 2, 1]
    *Generous / Selfish:
    3d6 10 [3d6=4, 3, 3]
    Honest / Deceitful:
    3d6 13 [3d6=4, 5, 4]
    *Just / Arbitrary:
    3d6 8 [3d6=1, 2, 5]
    *Merciful / Cruel:
    3d6 12 [3d6=4, 6, 2]
    *Modest / Proud:
    3d6 8 [3d6=2, 4, 2]
    Pious / Worldly:
    3d6 7 [3d6=4, 2, 1]
    Prudent / Reckless:
    3d6 13 [3d6=6, 4, 3]
    Temperate / Indulgent:
    3d6 14 [3d6=6, 5, 3]
    Trusting / Suspicious:
    3d6 13 [3d6=3, 6, 4]
    *Valorous / Cowardly:
    3d6 8 [3d6=1, 3, 4]
    SIZ:
    2d6r1+6 12 [2d6r1=2, 4]
    DEX:
    3d6r1 11 [3d6r1=4, 5, 2]
    STR:
    3d6r1 12 [3d6r1=5, 5, 2]
    CON:
    3d6r1 16 [3d6r1=4, 6, 6]
    APP:
    3d6r1 12 [3d6r1=2, 6, 4]

• Options
    Thankfully I assumed as much, because I'd have been making an out-and-out villain without swapping sides, or at least a real jerk. :D

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Are you full, Auralynx? This looks like fun, but don't want to stretch you too much..

• Options
    @Capfalcon whoops I shall remedy this!

• Options
    El Skid wrote: »
    Are you full, Auralynx? This looks like fun, but don't want to stretch you too much..

I'm running it, and I think we can work with six.

• Options
    @Capfalcon so there's no reason to have predominant negative traits at all? Like I should put my 4 into the negative to get 16 in the positive? Everyone are paragons of virtue?