As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EUIV] Reducing the Reduced reduction in cost of reducing war exhaustion for some NI's

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    30 years War: Unique mechanics and events for the religious conflict that ravaged Europe.

Napoleonic Era: Fight for or against the revolution and create entirely new custom clientcountries on the map from your conquests.

Fighting with Armies: You can now sortie from sieges, transfer occupation to allies and give objectives to your subjects and allies.

Fighting with Ship: Entire Fleets can now be upgraded with one click, you can now mothball fleets to avoid paying maintainance, and your fleets can be set to automatically transport armies.

Marches: Turn your vassals into bulwarks against your enemies, getting less tax but strengthening their defences.

Improved Diplomacy: Sell Surplus Ships, Fight for your subjects CB, Declare War in Support of Rebelfactions in other countries and new peace options like give up claims and pay monthly war reparations.

Gameplay Enhancements: Build entire armies in one click, abandon cores that you no longer wish to fight for, and abandon entire ideagroups that are no longer useful to your nation.

Free Features for the accompanying patch includes: Completely new rebel mechanic, local autonomy on province level, new cardinalsystem for Catholics, new reformation mechanics and a huge map improvement, making the rest of the world as detailed as Europe is. Lots of interface, ai and gameplay enhancements.

When it comes to the map, we've worked closely with the best map-modders in the community, and this will completely revolutionise how you play outside of Europe. Here are a few sneakpreviews of how the map looks like right now. Every daydiary, from next friday until release will go into detail about one part of the new map, while talking about paid and free features at the same time.

We have also done some significant optimisation, so the game performance should not be impacted by this addition.

Pretty good

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    I've always liked the idea of a Paradox-style grand strategy fantasy game. It'll never happen, but I'd like it.

http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2014/07/sovereignty-crown-of-kings-beta-sign-ups-begin/

I am intrigued. Very intrigued. The closest I've got so far was Dominions 3/4.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I think it would be fun if they made it possible for there to be a "deterministic mode" for the war bookmarks where all the AI is heavily scripted to act like they're actually in the war they're in and you get events allowing you to act the way your country picked.

But still allowing normal gameplay from the start date or whatever.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    so this sweden game i'm playing is hilarious

i allied early on with muscovy and the commonwealth and they helped me vassalize norway, because if we're going to have a kalmar union it's going to be on my terms

but then we ganged up on the livonian order and i gave what was left of them to muscovy as a vassal, because why not

and i don't know how this happened, i think maybe they couldn't get to their new baltic territories through novgorod and it fucked them somehow, because they completely fucking collapsed and novgorod rolled right over them

meanwhile france, england and denmark have coalitioned up against me, which seems like it should suck, but actually me and my good buddy the hansa sink the entire french fleet in the oresund and denmark has to hand over most of its shit as compensation

so i found scandinavia and get to work occupying eastern america, cuba, hispaniola and panama

i bide my time, exterminating a bunch of indians while i wait, until the coalition collapses, then go back and drive novgorod into the ground. also i take the kongo because i am a colonialist piece of shit

so now i have not only a bunch of america but also the opportunity to take siberia and be the king of the north of the world

except when there's no russia the hordes go nuts and now there's this gigantic timurids that runs india and persia and siberia and is basically just top shit of central asia. also qara qoyunlu, the black sheep turkomans (i looked them up!) is a massive regional power

oh and ireland has a couple of african colonies, which is super adorable

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Conquer Canada and Siberia, have an empire that completely surrounds the north pole.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    In my resurrected roman empire game, I sort of ram out of things to do, so I figured I'd do what Alexander the Great failed at, and conquered India. Maybe the next job will be to steal some colonies in the Americas from Portugal and Spain. Or take over the richer coastal provinces of China. Hmm...

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I hit the runaway growth point playing as the Netherlands, but maybe too late. Truce timers are killing me. It's 1785, I can (and do) field twice as many troops as Russia and France combined. I have Quality, Quantity, Plutocratic, Offensive and Defensive ideas, and policies boosting Discipline and Morale, and my troops don't lose battles. Also, I have nearly 100k gold.

But damnit, I'm running out of time.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    ok, so what is up with the Western European trade node?

I'm playing as friesland, I can't send any ships there.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Is it in your trade range?

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    I can send merchants there

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Then I've got nothing, wish I could be more help.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    There's some new rule for what you need in order to send ships to a node now... I think you need trade power there already, either from upstream, a merchant, or a province.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »
    I can send merchants there

It exists to taunt Burgundy and pre-Netherlands Dutch states.

For my next game, I'm thinking of going Portugal. My goal I think is going to be to get On Every Continent (so, no Colonial nations, just to be safe), and the achievements for conquering India and Japan. I'm trying to decide what ideas to pick up. Exploration is obvious, and then I'm thinking Humanism (faster/cheaper ideas, an easier time holding conquests), Expansion (to help support my global empire). And then I'm thinking Diplomatic (to reduce negative consequences of expansion), and then finishing off with Quantity, Offensive, Defensive and Quality.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    You should take Administrative 4th, when you get to Asia, to reduce the cost of coring India and Japan, which is pretty hefty.

Influence is better than Diplomatic unless you're going for truce breaking, because of the -25% diplo annex cost and -10% aggressive expansion impact.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    I'm currently playing a Burgundy>Netherlands game. Am I correct in thinking that when I form the Netherlands I will lose my French provinces? Is it the same for any German ones? And what can I do to retain these provinces?

• Options
    SemiHollowCarrotSemiHollowCarrot Registered User regular
    Oh my.

Consolidated France + Lithuania Personal Union.

If I can make it last it will be glorious.

I present to you my recent Papal State game.

8bc3mWW.jpg

• Options
    PACherrnPACherrn Registered User regular
    I'm currently playing a Burgundy>Netherlands game. Am I correct in thinking that when I form the Netherlands I will lose my French provinces? Is it the same for any German ones? And what can I do to retain these provinces?

I don't know about the german provinces, but you will definately lose the French one's. A way to get around losing the french one's is to release them as a vassal, and sell those you can't release to your new vassals, before forming the Netherlands.

• Options
    So, all that work to split up the big blobs and introduce chaos into EU for an unpredictable game.

Guess what happened.

France united 2/3rds of itself within 50 years, allied Castile, and the two of them steamrolled everything.

My god that's getting old. Part of it was my fault for not removing a bunch of France's starting cores as a part of that process, but still. I think it's time to go into some definition files and force a historical rivalry between France and Castile / Spain. They had around +180 opinion of each other even though they shared a border thanks to Castile's conquest of Guyenne, which had French cores. It's unbelievable.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    So the first developer diary has been released for the new expansion. Looks pretty decent, with a major overhaul of the Indian subcontinent. I'm wondering if all the extra Indian states plus all the others with generic ideas will be a bit more fleshed out.

• Options
    The autonomy stuff looks good.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I love that Spain and France are always best buddies now.

Unless I'm playing as one of the two. Then it'll be eternal war.

So good.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    that portuguese siberia

what possible use could reverse colonizing siberia ever be to the portuguese, i have to ask myself

they love doing that shit

i can only assume they're putting all the fur on boats and shipping it around through the straits of malacca and round cape horn

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    That SS is just so weird. Kazan had to have taken Perm somehow, and cut off Muscowy's ability to colonize, I'm sure that some other nations were pounding them too.

• Options
    i just noticd that hokkaido is owned by brunei

hilarious

the things that happen when russia doesn't russia

my own game i've pushed through the north and made it through to korea, who i've vassalized

also i have a bunch of what used to be pomerania and brandenburg

i could march an army from hanover to seoul if holstein wasn't in the way, but they're the emperor so i'm having some trouble exterminating them

• Options
    This is what it's like to be Poland. I am somewhat sad that I couldn't push Bulgarian into there.

SsMCTkh.jpg

• Options
    Humanist ideas seem like they're looking for a nerf to me. The number of filler slots they have compared to every other idea group (or I guess more accurately, their lack of filler) isn't even close.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    i have like

swedish danish norweigan

russian

hannoverian

kongolese

love those kongolese dudes

• Options
    Syphyre wrote: »
    This is what it's like to be Poland. I am somewhat sad that I couldn't push Bulgarian into there.

SsMCTkh.jpg

Dude, I'm in a Poland game right now.

And it's like "Oh no! I accidentally attacked a larger French army uphill in winter! Oh wait, the French army is going through a woodchipper, no problem."

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Fighting with Polish calvary is almost a joke, I discovered.

Also, Western arms trade is a wonderful modifier. I really have no reason to westernize.

Random tidbit from that same game. USA formed. Primary culture? Norwegian.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, I westernized. Being ahead of France in military tech is worth it IMO.

At this point, I can comfortably fight France and Russia simultaneously, doing all of the heavy lifting for my ally, while also wrecking the Ottomans in an offensive war. And bonus: my next war with Russia should net me Moscow.

Shadowhope on
  • Options
    Dev Diary: 2
    elcome to the second dev diary for Europa Universalis 4: Art of War. Today, a look at a new way to handle vassals, how we're changing revolts and a sneak peek at how the Persian map is being transformed.

Marches
    Marches are a new type of subject that can be created from existing vassals. By designating your vassal as a March, you are giving that vassal greatly expanded autonomy in exchange for greater military service. A March does not pay taxes to its Overlord and cannot be diplomatically annexed. However, they get a 25% bonus to manpower, a 30% bonus to force limits and have 20% better fort defense, making them useful as military buffers against enemy states, or when you simply need additional soldiers more than you need the income from those territories. March status can be retracted, but doing so results in a stability hit and a very large opinion penalty with the vassal whose autonomy you just revoked.

Unrest & Rebels

The old system of revolt risk, with a chance of rebels spawning in a province by random chance every month has gone the way of the dodo. It was a system that has served us well through many versions of Europa Universalis, but we think we have something better.

The new concept reflecting unhappy subjects is called unrest. Unrest in a province will affect how quickly regiments and ships can be recruited there, but it has no direct impact on your economy, since we've introduced Local Autonomy to cover that side of the ledger.

Every province is aligned with one possible rebel faction. Each month, every province has a chance (depending on its unrest level) to see an increase in the progress of an uprising from the local rebels. When the progress reaches 100%, the faction rises up in revolt with as many stacks it has support for, and the unrest is reduced in those provinces - they have expressed their anger through arms and it's up to you to put them down.

Because unrest can happen anywhere, building courthouses and employing theologians is now a good strategy to reduce general unrest, not to mention adopting a few policies to placate the masses. The old tyrannical standby of Harsh Treatment now targets rebel factions instead of provinces and reduces the progress towards an uprising from that faction at a cost in MIL points, scaled to the size of this particular rebel faction. This change means we should get less micromanagement and more direct control of popular satisfaction in the hands of the player.

There is also no longer a distinction between accepted and enforced demands from successful rebellions. A rebel faction's demands are always the same.

In a more positive change, any Rebels that are friendly to you, either through culture or support will lift Fog of War for you.

Persia
    Last week, we dove into the doubling of Indian provinces. Another region that has seen substantial changes in our great map overhaul is Greater Persia and the Caucasus.
    In 1444 this region is to a large extent split between the still sort of impressive empire of Timur's descendants in the east and the rising Qara Qoyunlu empire in the west. Just like in the last dev diary, the diversity of the region means that it's perhaps best to go over its various parts in turn.

The Caucasus:
    In the time depicted by EU4, the rugged Caucasus will be the border line between the Turkish, Persian and eventually Russian Empires. Throughout all of this, the valleys and the slopes of these mountains are home to a number of different peoples and states attempting to preserve their independence against hungry neighbours.
    In order to portray the independent nature and resilience of the area, a new Caucasian culture group has been added to the game. Apart from the familiar Armenian and Georgian cultures, this new group is also made up of the newly introduced Circassian and Dagestani cultures. The tag and province setups have been revised accordingly.

New Tags:
    Imereti: Small kingdom that can appear in western Georgia (or in late start dates). Historically, this state became part of the Ottoman sphere of influence in Georgia.
    Circassia: Small Orthodox tribal monarchy in the northern Caucasus representing the various minor states there. This is the primary tag for provinces of Circassian culture.
    Gazikumukh: A small Shiite kingdom in the northeastern Caucasus. This is the primary tag for provinces of Dagestani culture.

While entirely locked in the struggle between the Timurid and Qara Qoyunlu empires in 1444, Western Persia is soon going to be the site of the rise of the Qizilbash and the birth of the Safavid Empire. This region is defined by densely populated valleys with a strong urban Persian culture, both of which the map can now portray in a better way in terms of borders and province density.
    As in the Caucasus, including more provinces also allows us to include some of the smaller players in the region.

New Tags:
    Tabaristan: A small kingdom along the southern coast of the Caspian sea. Primary tag for the new Mazandarani culture.
    Ardalan: A small Kurdish kingdom in the Zagros mountains.

Where western Persia is dominated by mountain ranges and rich valleys, Eastern Persia is a region of mountain ranges and deserts. Due to the much harsher climate, most of Khorasan would often be incorporated into surrounding empires unless these were too weak to control the vast area. The even more inhospitable Baluchistan would remain independent, divided into various tribal entities, for most of the period covered by the game.
    The greater number of provinces here primarily means that conquering and traversing this region isn't going to be as easy as it was prior to AoW and will also mean that the revolts that historically started in this area will be a bit harder to put down.

Afghanistan

Home to thriving cities such as Herat and Kabul, Afghanistan is richer and more influential than the rest of Eastern Persia. During the period covered by EU4, states such as the Mughal or the Durrani empires used this region as a jumping off point to successfully to expand into India or Persia.
    The AoW map accentuates the role of Afghanistan as a good base for expansion and a gateway between east and west. In order to show the importance of the Khyber and Bolan passes as routes into India, a wasteland province has also been added to represent the Suleiman mountain range in eastern Afghanistan.

Pics over at the actual page: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?798273-Eu4-Art-of-War-Development-Diary-2-Marches-Unrest-amp-Persia

• Options
    If anyone is interested, the complete Vicky 1+2 collection is 5 bucks
    http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/victoria-complete-bundle/

I've started playing V2, and oh man its amazing.

• Options
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?799535-Eu4-Art-of-War-Dev-Diary-3-Military-Cooperation-Tradegoods-amp-West-Africa

New big dev diary this week, heavily focusing on west africa, so I'll link it here so you can see the pretty pictures.

• Options
    Oh damn, that africa change is pretty huge. Might make going for the Kongo achievement not so mind numbing. No trail of tears made me fall asleep before the CoP changes.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    So I am greatly enjoying Crusader Kings II, is Europa Universalis IV similar? I'm sure there are plenty of differences, as technology didn't really change a lot during the time period covered by CK2, but EU4 should definitely have a very different take on technological advancement. Is it viable to play as a Native American nation? I know that historically they didn't fare well against the European powers, but part of the fun of CK2 is the ability to change the course of history. I dunno, there are so many questions that I could ask, and I don't want to ask them all because then the post will be huge and I'll never get any answers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EU4 is a nation-focused game instead of a character-focused game. So it winds up playing massively different than CK2. Basically, you remove the entire family clan / plotting part in exchange for a more expansive nation view.

CK2 is probably deeper, but EU4 is less... zany? Less chaotic. It plays a bit more like a typical strategy game, only there's hundreds of nations to choose from and a quite large game map. The colonization and trade components are fairly nice, too, and the alliance / diplomacy system is something you affect in a much more direct manner.

North American nations are reportedly quite fun if you use the Conquest of Paradise DLC. I haven't obtained it myself, so I can't speak to it firsthand.

• Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    So I am greatly enjoying Crusader Kings II, is Europa Universalis IV similar? I'm sure there are plenty of differences, as technology didn't really change a lot during the time period covered by CK2, but EU4 should definitely have a very different take on technological advancement. Is it viable to play as a Native American nation? I know that historically they didn't fare well against the European powers, but part of the fun of CK2 is the ability to change the course of history. I dunno, there are so many questions that I could ask, and I don't want to ask them all because then the post will be huge and I'll never get any answers.

Nearly every nation is viable depending on your goals. Native American nations are probably the hardest set though, since you have less time before major powers start intervening than the other difficult areas like Subsaharan Africa.

• Options
    The main trick to playing a Native American campaign is to get the Conquest of Paradise DLC, and lock down the coast asap. The AI is rubbish at dealing with ferrying troops over the oceans, and will suffer substantial losses from naval attrition. So if you can deny them a good beachhead you can keep them out before you've even westernized.

Also get the DLC because it'll make it so there's more to do before the Europeans arrive.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    BYToady wrote: »
    Also get the DLC because it'll make it so there's more anything to do before the Europeans arrive.

• Options
    SLyM wrote: »
    BYToady wrote: »
    Also get the DLC because it'll make it so there's more anything to do before the Europeans arrive.

Look you could totally annex then release your one neighbor over and over to farm that one stupid mission for 100 years while grinding out monarch points so you could maybe only be 20 tech levels behind Spain and England.

Battletag BYToady#1454