As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weight Loss and Fitness: Repent, for Swimsuit Season Is Nigh

• Options
    Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    Had my first ballet class in 7 years last night and absolutely adored it. Was 90 minutes long and I would have happily stayed there all night.

But hooboy and I sore this morning. My legs and lower back haven't had a workout like that in months!

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Had my first ballet class in 7 years last night and absolutely adored it. Was 90 minutes long and I would have happily stayed there all night.

But hooboy and I sore this morning. My legs and lower back haven't had a workout like that in months!

Oh I'm really jealous

That's so awesome

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Real talk time about staying with it.

Took yesterday off from my daily run/jog. Also ate a bunch of pasta for dinner :neutral_face:

So, naturally, when I started out today for my exercise, I felt like shiiit. Ok, I get it, I made some bad choices yesterday, I'll just chug along and see what I can do.

Imagine my suprise when the little voice pops up in Zombies: "Total Distance 1 mi after 12.53 minutes." (For reference, that is one of my better times recently)!

Felt pretty great after that and finished up the second half of my run in a record (for me) time.

Anyway, stick with it, you'll surprise yourself on occasion, and that progress feels pretty fucking rad!

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Usually pasta is a good thing to eat before you go on a run.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    That sounds

Horrifying

I've seen Band of Brothers, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgTFNUUl9mg

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    my GPS is so fucked here.
    I mean it's rad that you think I did 12km in 40 minutes, phone, but let's face it we both know that's extremely unlikely.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Usually pasta is a good thing to eat before you go on a run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-e5y-3dyUs

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I don't watch The Office but I'm guessing the next scene is the one where he vomits on EVERYONE.

Man, especially with humidity.

I can't run on a full stomach.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Yeah it's taken some work but basically I shouldn't eat more than 300 calories in the last 2 hours before running, and if it's a full meal 3h wait is better.

Also yeah, my previous phone gps was butts too, overestimating distance by about 10% on average but pretty variable, and the worst with bridges. I still have a 1km in 53 seconds on my tracker because of a path that goes underneath a freeway.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    to be fair to the phone, I think it's mostly that this county is a black hole when it comes to network coverage of any kind. I don't have phone reception in my house, and I'm 300m from the centre of town.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I've noticed over the past two weeks that my reception sucks in every building, ever in Europe.

It's either the frequencies they use or the fact that everything is old and apparently(?) sturdily built. Or either, I guess.

• Options
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    I've noticed over the past two weeks that my reception sucks in every building, ever in Europe.

It's either the frequencies they use or the fact that everything is old and apparently(?) sturdily built. Or either, I guess.

I don't remember having anywhere near these problems in Germany, or ... well anywhere except the UK really. But yeah it might be a hardware issue with a US phone.

• Options
    I don't watch The Office but I'm guessing the next scene is the one where he vomits on EVERYONE.

Man, especially with humidity.

I can't run on a full stomach.

It's more about eating carbs to fuel your run. My understanding was the pasta for dinner the night before?

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Hmm

I noticed my pants seeming to fit looser and just stepped on the scale this morning and I guess I'm down 6 pounds or so from last time I checked.

That's odd I haven't really been doing very well on trying to lose weight.

Though I suppose I've been on my feet a bit more recently rather than sitting in front of my PC all the time, and I've been weening myself off soda.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I pushed myself really hard this year. I was at ~228lbs at the beginning of this year. I'm currently down to 199. I've never seen <200 pounds since High School (14ish years ago). So... Woo!

Running + eating better + eating smaller portions + more water = great results. I hope to keep it going!

I have the Air Force 5K in about 2 hours. Can't wait!

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I adjusted my jump rope too short at one point and put it back but that put an indent in the wire and now it stripped as I was using it. now it's just slightly too short and it's really annoying. I can still use it at least

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    ASimPerson wrote: »

I don't remember having anywhere near these problems in Germany, or ... well anywhere except the UK really. But yeah it might be a hardware issue with a US phone.

Yeah, also, I was using in 3 in the UK and Italy (purposely doesn't have 2g service) and something called blau in Germany. My phone supported all the 3g frequencies, but I couldn't get LTE since it only supports the North American frequencies for that.

• Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    urahonky wrote: »
    I pushed myself really hard this year. I was at ~228lbs at the beginning of this year. I'm currently down to 199. I've never seen <200 pounds since High School (14ish years ago). So... Woo!

Running + eating better + eating smaller portions + more water = great results. I hope to keep it going!

I have the Air Force 5K in about 2 hours. Can't wait!

Maybe a no-brainer type of thing to say but the water intake is seriously priceless for losing weight.

In both fatty acid and carbohydrate metabolism, hydrolysis is a major (in the chemistry sense of major) reaction step. You can't do hydrolysis without... wait for it... water.

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    Hydrolysis, lipolysis, glycogenolysis

So many -lysis

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    plus side to IIFYM

my dinner today is just a delicious baguette with a lil butter and it is perfect

poo
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Hydrolysis, lipolysis, glycogenolysis

So many -lysis

Autolysis. But you really don't want that happening.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I'm having an aggressively awful week, which is normally an excuse for me to be a lazy arse and eat/drink like a pig, but I'm not

This week still sucks amazing amounts of donkey balls but at least I'm not also hungover or feeling gross from awful food

Fuck you brain, I'm going to do this right

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    dude at the gym dinged his nose doing OHP
    he insisted it wasn't broken and left trailing a little blood
    so uh yeah

also I did five whole chin ups whooo

• Options
    8 miles might have been... A bit overdoing it.

Glad I didn't die though.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    5k today. Slower than the one I did on Thursday but I sprinted the middle portion of that one. Between that and walking all over downtown yesterday my legs are kinda dead today.

Also does anyone use Fitbit? Thinking about getting one of those bands when I can spare the money.

• Options
    I was really tempted but I've heard mixed reports. I'll have to ask my sister for an opinion, she has one.

• Options
    my friends who have em like em, but that is all i know

poo
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I've got one and I like it. I have one of the wrist ones.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Cool.

• Options
    first 10km today in like ... holy shit, two months. Well, that didn't go so bad, considering.

• Options
    @Weaver‌

It's trying to measure what your legs are doing by the vibrations in your arms, so of course the wrist ones won't be super accurate or anything. Fitbit's app lets you set an alarm (your fitbit will start vibrating at the appointed time) you can put it in sleep mode (measures how much you move around during sleep and when) and it also has a calorie tracker + weight loss plan that will tell you how many calories you can have per day to meet the goal.

It can do a lot of nifty things, but I think they're going to be coming out with an even newer one soon that will be able to work as caller id, a watch, etc.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2014
    I wonder if it would be better if you put it on your ankle. My sister attached hers to her dog's front leg, it seemed to be pretty accurate.

tynic on
  • Options
    eddizhereeddizhere Scrubber Than A Sponge Scrubtown, USARegistered User regular
    Started eating steel cut oats for breakfast yesterday and I am surprised that it actually tastes good. Yesterday I foolishly added peanut butter, bananas, and chocolate protein powder and it was wayyyyyyy to sweet. Are there any whey protein supplements that aren't flavored to be kid's drinks?

League of Legends: Plutoniumwombat
    Smite: Plutoniumwombat
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I wonder if it would be better if you put it on your ankle. My sister attached hers to her dog's front leg, it seemed to be pretty accurate.

Friends of Amy and I have used their fitbits on our walks, and they have proven to be accurate to within a few metres over the course of three hour bush hikes to GPS mapping from mobile phones and a handheld unit.

So, pretty damn accurate!

• Options
    you could just buy unflavored whey if you're looking to use it to just put in things

poo
  • Options

Friends of Amy and I have used their fitbits on our walks, and they have proven to be accurate to within a few metres over the course of three hour bush hikes to GPS mapping from mobile phones and a handheld unit.

So, pretty damn accurate!

Hmm. My phone is really pissing me off so maybe I should move to a fitbit. If only they weren't so pricey!

Of course I need a new phone as well. Ugh.

• Options
    @tynic There are a few models, one which is just a little clip on that you can put on your shoe laces that is think is less expensive

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Aha, the Fitbit Zip is about $55

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Hey my legs feel better way faster than I thought they would.

I mean they might still be stiff again in the morning but I'm surprised they aren't still killing me.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    If you keep it up / slowly increase distance that pretty much is the way it is, takes a day of recovery and you're ready again. Only if you overextend can real issues return.

Gaining speed is tougher on the muscles unfortunately.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
This discussion has been closed.