As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weight Loss and Fitness: Repent, for Swimsuit Season Is Nigh

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    here is a pretty decent article focused on women: http://www.negharfonooni.com/2012/07/11/intermittent-fasting-why-and-how-a-food-lovin-girl-chooses-not-to-eat/

at the same time there is a lot suggesting that it doesn't always work as well for women as it does for men for whatever biological reasons, but i think it's very much a listen to your body kind of thing if you try it:
    http://paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/

This is actually really interesting

The first post is really just one person's experience--anecdotal yes, but still a valuable view. The second is sort of a mish mosh of semi applicable scientific studies, none of which have any clear conclusion about whether or not fasting works/doesn't work/is actually metabolically/hormonally harmful to women (she makes it clear that a) we don't know and b) it probably depends on the individual)

Iiiiinteresting. I'mma keep digging. Thanks Shaz!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Depending on what you eat, 500 calorie meals can be pretty darn filling...

I feel like 500 calories of celery could kill a man...

EDIT: Yep, 500 calories worth of celery is approximately 6.875 pounds of flavourless watery fibrous self-loathing.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    2 months of Strong Lifts 5x5, a new focus on climbing and trying to eat out less (and giving up diet soda!) seems to be paying off.

I been loving Strong Lifts. As someone that has never lifted it's a perfect introduction to it, and squats are some of my favorite execercies. I really noticed my strenght growing, not only by being able to lift heavier plates, but during climbing.

I haven't lost too much weight scale wise, but clothes fit better and I was thinking I looked slimmer. And yesterday one of the guys at the gym commented that I have been looking better lately.

Overally, please pleased.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Depending on what you eat, 500 calorie meals can be pretty darn filling...

I feel like 500 calories of celery could kill a man...

EDIT: Yep, 500 calories worth of celery is approximately 6.875 pounds of flavourless watery fibrous self-loathing.

I heard that if you eat it in one sitting you immediately lose several kg when all your organs fall straight out of your butt.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    brb buying seven pounds of celery

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    That's a lie, I am actually going to take my brother out for lunch for his birthday

On a related note, man, I am having trouble keeping with this two-day-a-week supplementary weightlifting routine. I just do not enjoy it at all, which makes it difficult to force myself to do that instead of something else. So I'm trying to figure out how to make it less awful and unfun. Maybe it'll be like running where first it's sucky and boring as fuck but then it starts being enjoyable..? But I can't keep earphones in while I do weights.

Hrmph.

Crabby Sandra is crabby.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    That's a lie, I am actually going to take my brother out for lunch for his birthday

On a related note, man, I am having trouble keeping with this two-day-a-week supplementary weightlifting routine. I just do not enjoy it at all, which makes it difficult to force myself to do that instead of something else. So I'm trying to figure out how to make it less awful and unfun. Maybe it'll be like running where first it's sucky and boring as fuck but then it starts being enjoyable..? But I can't keep earphones in while I do weights.

Hrmph.

Crabby Sandra is crabby.

Wait, why can't you keep earbuds in while you lift weights?

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Get those cheap Bluetooth ones I linked you
    Those are great for weights lifting!

Also it takes some time to build a positive feedback loop around lifting and things you don't like I guess

This goes for me and cardio, I hate hate hate hate cardio
    Especially cuz I have shitty lungs

But I've been forcing myself to do it for the last bit and as I get better and see the benefits then it kinda makes a positive feedback loop at least the the point where I don't despise it completely

poo
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Mine always used to fall out, so instead of getting some of those that hold themselves in place I started lifting in calm, focused silence. It's pretty good. Obviously doesn't work in a noisy place.

• Options
    Yeah, they keep falling out/getting pulled out. I am a hazard to myself and others outside of yoga, essentially.

It's funny, it's like... I do yoga quietly and I can become really inward-focused, on my muscle movement and on my body and breath, but that is proving a LOT more elusive with weightlifting. But I'm still just getting started I guess?

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    I cant keep an ear bud in my tiny earholes for nothin. I badly need to invest in something with an over the ear component of some sort. On brighter note...since this day last year I have lost 78lbs. I track my calories in My fitness pal and keep myself to 1800 or so, have one cheat day on Saturday where I pay no attention and eat whatever I damn well please, and go to the gym three days a week...plus when the weather gets better I play Frisbee golf one day a week and softball on Sundays. I still want about another 15 or so...but that last bit is proving vexing. Thinking of adding swimming to replace my cardio day at the gym as I remember that caused my heart to just thunder in my chest before and anything short of running stairs isn't really getting me that result anymore.

Still I can say confidently that it is a life style change this time. There is no diet, no gimmicks that create a loss I cannot retain. Other than the UMP protein shakes that are actually awesomely tasty I have for breakfast I do not even purchase foods that you wouldn't find in a normal grocery cart. I do pay attention to portion size more and make smart choices about leaner meats and the like...but I think I have finally found something I can live with that works and it is so encouraging after basically being a fat kid, then a fat teen and then a fat guy in his 20's now at 35 I think I look and feel pretty much the best I have ever in my life. I am still a bit over weight at 220..but hey...I will get there.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    Hawkstone, I can recommend these again: over the ear, relatively cheap, durable so far, long battery life... not like, the best sound quality but, they do the job for gym
    http://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Bluetooth-Headphones-Integrated-Microphone/dp/B008EOXXFI

poo
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Get one of those strappy things that you can use to put your phone on your arm, and then the earbuds will get snagged less.

Or those wireless things people mentioned, I guess.

My main issue back when I was actually doing gym stuff like cardio and lifting weights was that I would start laughing at a podcast while trying to lift a thing.

Stifling laughter: great for your core.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Hawkstone, I can recommend these again: over the ear, relatively cheap, durable so far, long battery life... not like, the best sound quality but, they do the job for gym
    http://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Bluetooth-Headphones-Integrated-Microphone/dp/B008EOXXFI

cool...going to give those a shot...my wife has the same problem, so two pair for 60-ish bucks seems like a good deal to fix it.

• Options
    Yeah, they keep falling out/getting pulled out. I am a hazard to myself and others outside of yoga, essentially.

It's funny, it's like... I do yoga quietly and I can become really inward-focused, on my muscle movement and on my body and breath, but that is proving a LOT more elusive with weightlifting. But I'm still just getting started I guess?

I cheat by using in ear monitors with a wire that goes over the top of my ear. For most of the stuff I do with a barbell (low bar back squats, deadlift), I just run the wire down the front of my shirt into my pants pocket which keeps it out of the way. For bench press, bent-over rows, and overhead press I run it down the back of my shirt into the same pants pocket to keep it out of the way of the bar. Everything else (accessory work) is done with dumbbells or bodyweight and then I just put the wire wherever is most comfy (usually outside the front of my shirt).

• Options
    Hawkstone that's awesome!

Also I'm not buying anything for myself right now, because Life Expenses, so I'll be going with the "nut up and deal with pulling my earphones out/not having earphones" option for the time being.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options

Also I'm not buying anything for myself right now, because Life Expenses, so I'll be going with the "nut up and deal with pulling my earphones out/not having earphones" option for the time being.

Thanks! Now I just need to pop into the fashion thread and ask people about clothes that don't come from the big and tall store. Who knew that once you could buy pants and shirts in the mall you would have so many options?

• Options
    My latest hobby is to browse R/ProgressPics while eating. It's kinda like this

aGDuTRS.gif

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular

I'm sure you realize by now that I'm pretty pro-lifting, but if you're not enjoying it, why don't you analyze what's causing you to not like it? I realize you don't like having poop earphones that don't stay in, but could you maybe go lift with a friend?

I think yoga is an excellent way to stay in shape, and I'm always gonna recommend some form of weights, but is there anyway that you can do weights in a way that you enjoy? You don't have to go to the bench and sit down and do three sets of ten and then move on to the next exercise. Really, I don't know what it is that you don't like about lifting. Maybe 3 - 5 circuits of dumbbell circuit training with shoulder press, goblet/front squat, db rows, tricep extension, db curl, weighted sit up, etc for 5 - 10 reps each is more your thing. That gives you some cardio/endurance + resistance training benefit. But if there is a way to modify it where you could enjoy it, you should look at those options.

Personally, I'd recommend writing down all the things that got you started with yoga, and why you enjoyed it, and then see if you can apply any of that to lifting. Was it a group setting in a class that got you started? Maybe a group weight training class one day a week would be beneficial. Or if you can identify any positive transfer from lifting to yoga or vice-versa.

I realize you said you just started with lifting, so maybe for you it's a matter of just getting over the hump and finding some way to enjoy it, but I realize not everybody enjoys strength training. I work with a lot of athletes that don't enjoy it, but it's my job to make them productive in the weight room, which some have seen good results, so they have bought into what I'm having them do. However, I'm looking to increase athletic performance. For the typical person wanting to lead a healthy lifestyle, I would suggest thinking long-term, and realizing what it is you want ten, fifteen, twenty, forty years down the road. For me, strength training and living a physically active lifestyle is important for me, because I would like to be mobile and healthy when I'm old, and not need assistance getting off the couch or off the ground.

Sorry for the long post, but I think I understand where you're coming from. For me, strength training is my time to clear my head and focus on the movements I'm doing, even though it's exhausting it's relaxing. I despise doing cardio, but I've found a way to do it that incorporates what I enjoy (lifting heavy things) by performing weighted carries for time or distance. I hope you find some way to enjoy your form of resistance training, whatever that may be.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna go lift in my Chong Li t-shirt and make smug, angry faces. Goddamn, this ends with me buying a head band, doesn't it?

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    DL, you're awesome.

I think those are really good suggestions - sitting down and identifying what aspects of yoga and running drew me to them and seeing if I can't find a way to bring those into weight training. And also I think it would help me stick with it if I can plot out for myself the long-term goals I have in mind that make incorporating weightlifting a good thing.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Oh man.

Ok backstory for a bit:
    So over the last year, I really haven't been that great at keeping up with body stuff. Mainly because I've been super busy, but also just laziness thrown in there. Over the summer I managed to get a pretty ok routine of biking a lot, and then going to the gym and doing some weights mid-bike(Near the beginning). Then, the gym was doing a renovation of their weight room, and I sort of fell out of going to the gym. When the reno was done, the weather had turned a little. After that, I had a super-busy semester, and then for the spring semester basically I was in all hours of the day 6 days a week, doing homework only on Fridays, and because I was home so late, I didn't want to be biking at midnight every day when I was exhausted. I actually lost some weight during this time(about 5-6 lbs), because I was so busy I didn't really have time to eat anything.

Anyways, now that the big thing that was keeping me super-busy is over, I have two days off a week(plus weekends!). I've decided to start finally getting back into the habit of going for my bike/gym on those days in the morning. Today was my first day, after losing weight purely on what was basically a "No time to eat" diet, and not going to the gym in like 8 months now. I was super easy-going and took 10-15 pounds off all the stuff I was doing, and decided just to do some upper-body today. Hooray for getting back on the wagon!

I think I'm dying. This is what dying feels like.

• Options

I'm sure you realize by now that I'm pretty pro-lifting, but if you're not enjoying it, why don't you analyze what's causing you to not like it? I realize you don't like having poop earphones that don't stay in, but could you maybe go lift with a friend?

I think yoga is an excellent way to stay in shape, and I'm always gonna recommend some form of weights, but is there anyway that you can do weights in a way that you enjoy? You don't have to go to the bench and sit down and do three sets of ten and then move on to the next exercise. Really, I don't know what it is that you don't like about lifting. Maybe 3 - 5 circuits of dumbbell circuit training with shoulder press, goblet/front squat, db rows, tricep extension, db curl, weighted sit up, etc for 5 - 10 reps each is more your thing. That gives you some cardio/endurance + resistance training benefit. But if there is a way to modify it where you could enjoy it, you should look at those options.

Personally, I'd recommend writing down all the things that got you started with yoga, and why you enjoyed it, and then see if you can apply any of that to lifting. Was it a group setting in a class that got you started? Maybe a group weight training class one day a week would be beneficial. Or if you can identify any positive transfer from lifting to yoga or vice-versa.

I realize you said you just started with lifting, so maybe for you it's a matter of just getting over the hump and finding some way to enjoy it, but I realize not everybody enjoys strength training. I work with a lot of athletes that don't enjoy it, but it's my job to make them productive in the weight room, which some have seen good results, so they have bought into what I'm having them do. However, I'm looking to increase athletic performance. For the typical person wanting to lead a healthy lifestyle, I would suggest thinking long-term, and realizing what it is you want ten, fifteen, twenty, forty years down the road. For me, strength training and living a physically active lifestyle is important for me, because I would like to be mobile and healthy when I'm old, and not need assistance getting off the couch or off the ground.

Sorry for the long post, but I think I understand where you're coming from. For me, strength training is my time to clear my head and focus on the movements I'm doing, even though it's exhausting it's relaxing. I despise doing cardio, but I've found a way to do it that incorporates what I enjoy (lifting heavy things) by performing weighted carries for time or distance. I hope you find some way to enjoy your form of resistance training, whatever that may be.

i read this article yesterday http://romanfitnesssystems.com/articles/how-to-be-good-at-sucking/ (uhh that headline is not clear what it is about, but it's about doing things you don't really like to do / are bad at) and thought it was really good

in this context, the example used from the author is basically about a weightlifter type person who really really did not yoga, but tried to get himself to enjoy it both because his wife was a yoga instructor and he knew about the benefits it could have (so, basically opposite of you)

but i thought it was a pretty good read and is very relevant

poo
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Hawkstone wrote: »

cool...going to give those a shot...my wife has the same problem, so two pair for 60-ish bucks seems like a good deal to fix it.

If you are worried about sound quality, I'd recommend a pair of SportaPros. It's a PortaPro driver in a more activity-friendly housing. The quality is completely nuts for the cost (~$23 as I'm posting this)--there are some songs I like better on them than I do on the $150 AD700s I use when I'm sitting around.

A decent pair of IEMs like chrishallett recommends would also do the job, if you can find the right fit (lots of options, there).

(Sorry, I see headphones come up and I black out and wake up to see I've written a recommendation)

Anyway, I may have finally conquered my snacking and eternal hunger with the stupidest solution imaginable: I chew a lot of sugar-free gum.

As a side benefit, the grossness on my tongue that nothing seemed to be able to kill has suddenly vanished. Apparently mouth bacteria thinks it can use xylitol, but it can't, so it dies.

Kamar on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yesterday was a good day. Protein shake at 7 and 10:30. Salad and chicken at 13:00. Did some weights at home ( chest press, flies, clean and jerk, squats, leg raises) and then pizza.

A bit sore today but going to do more of the above tonight.

I'm going to conquer myself, dammit.

• Options
    MogsMogs Registered User regular
    As someone who started with yoga and cardio and eventually added in lifting (and dropped cardio), I thought I'd share. I wrote out a couple very long winded versions of my story here, which included the 5 personal trainers I went through in 3 years and how I have a very passionate (read: obsessive) personality, but basically, I started doing strength training because I knew it would be good for my hyper-extendable yogi self. Once I discovered that heavy squats, deadlifts, and bench press required me to not only be fully and completely present in my body but also exhausted me in 5 reps in the same way a 60 minute run would (leaving more time for other hobbies like painting, cooking, and re-watching Star Trek again), things began to click and I fell in love with barbell training. I hope it eventually clicks for you, too @Lost Salient , because it's really quite amazing when it does.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Aside from being sick and suffering from the occasional "ha ha you're old" back issue, I've been hitting Stronglifts since mid-January and have seen significant gains in the squat, bench and deadlift. Not much movement on the scale, but my wife told me the other day after I got out of the shower that she's really been noticing. Clothes have been fitting better too!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    How's your butt looking

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Kamar wrote: »
    Hawkstone wrote: »

If you are worried about sound quality, I'd recommend a pair of SportaPros. It's a PortaPro driver in a more activity-friendly housing. The quality is completely nuts for the cost (~$23 as I'm posting this)--there are some songs I like better on them than I do on the $150 AD700s I use when I'm sitting around.

A decent pair of IEMs like chrishallett recommends would also do the job, if you can find the right fit (lots of options, there).

(Sorry, I see headphones come up and I black out and wake up to see I've written a recommendation)

Anyway, I may have finally conquered my snacking and eternal hunger with the stupidest solution imaginable: I chew a lot of sugar-free gum.

As a side benefit, the grossness on my tongue that nothing seemed to be able to kill has suddenly vanished. Apparently mouth bacteria thinks it can use xylitol, but it can't, so it dies.

I am not hyper sound critical at the gym...I have nice headphones for that. But I don't want them to sound like tin cans either. I plan to order this weekend so I will do a little bit of review comparing and make a choice then.

Thanks folks...These are definitely affordable and reasonable options which is what I am looking for in something I intend to sweat all over.

• Options
    Yeah, same, I have nice headphones for outside the gym. Other headphones in gym break too often, and when wires are involved that's always a potential failure point... am plenty satisfied with these ones.

poo
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I'm still super bummed about my nice bluetooth headphones getting run over by a car

I may have to get those cheap ones you posted Shaz so that I can once again be freed from the shackles of cables

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I can barely keep up my work out routine at the best of times, but overtime/stress at work then a short ski trip and back to stress in the last two weeks have really taken me out of it. It is just so difficult to get going again.

honovere on
  • Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I had a tough time dragging myself to work out today. It was the the first time in a while that I've had trouble with motivation. But I did did it, and I'm glad. I guess some days will just feel off.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I should really start going to the free yoga classes at my climbing gym. I went a few times and it was pretty great.

Also really need to get around to doing these acro classes so I can get actual training on the Lyra and maybe end up getting paid gigs doing things with my body

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Just reinstated my membership at my pilates studio after a few months' hiatus.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Fuck snow.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I'm too old for hang overs. I've decided to get nauseous via kettlebells and hill sprints instead.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    I know I dont post a whole bunch these days, but this thread has been a great motivation to me over the past while. I am really pumped for a bunch of you guys and gals here.

Ever since I graduated university I got extremely lax on anything health related. I let myself go, really. Over like 3 years. Eventually I hit 225 on the scale (I'm 5'9) and decided I needed to change some shit around. I went to the doctors, was labeled obese, my cholesterol was high, and my blood pressure was shit. That gave me a lot of motivation.

About a year ago I got a gym membership. It started out kind of half assessed, but it was consistent. The biggest roadblock to the gym for me was just getting my ass over there, so establishing a schedule was the number one priority for me. Eventually I fell into a grove and was really focused on cardio.

That went well for a while but my eating habits were still completely dire. My favourite food is pizza and my favourite drink is beer, so I decided about 6 ish months ago to scale that shit way back. It was hard at first, but again, a habit formed.

My final hurdle was my job. We work beside a McDonald's. Guess what I was having for lunch every single day, Monday to Friday? About 2 months ago I completely cut McD's out of my life. It was rough at first (I was clearly addicted).

Flash forward to now where I have lost 30 pounds, and got my cholesterol and blood pressure into the normal ranges, and no longer get winded using the stairs! I still could stand to lose 15-20 more pounds but I'm starting to see the light at the end of this tunnel. I'll avoid a progress pic as I am unsure if that's a part of what the thread is.

I just wanted to both thank and congratulate the people in this thread. Threads like these help a lot!

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    Randy ButternubbsRandy Butternubbs Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    The months of beard freezing temperatures all day long, ice covered roads, and snow blocked sidewalks comes to an end this weekend! I'll be able to walk to and from work every day for the first time since like early december. Fuckin Praise Helix!

Randy Butternubbs on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    The months of beard freezing temperatures all day long, ice covered roads, and snow blocked sidewalks comes to an end this weekend! I'll be able to walk to and from work every day for the first time since like early december. Fuckin Praise Helix!

I wanna awesome this, but I fear the results of expressing any optimism about the weather.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
This discussion has been closed.