As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Trek: 2 Trek 2 Furious

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I nominate Title change to "Live Long and Prosper". Don't think we need anything witty, it speaks for itself.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    "Of all the souls I have encountered, his was the most... human," seems appropriate to me.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I nominate Title change to "Lived Long and Prospered".

:(

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Not what I wanted to read when I sat down for coffee break.

Fuck.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    "Of all the souls I have encountered, his was the most... human," seems appropriate to me.

"I have been and shall always be your friend."

Or just simply "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!"

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Hell, he seemed put all the care into Toy Spock from Big Bang Theory that he put into Spock himself.

"If I was on the bridge of the Starship Enterprise I would stay there and never leave."
    "Trust me, it gets old after a while."

Decades of emotion in that line reading. People forget: When he got cast as Spock, he was teaching Method acting.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    He lived well and died loved. Still crappy news to hear.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Now I'm getting all teary-eyed at work.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Star Trek TOS was a big part of my childhood, and Spock the central part..

For a little boy with distant parents who just didn't have much time, Spock was a wonderful character to identify with.. It showed me that distant people can still be caring people, strong people that care for you.

I'm sad that he is dead, really sad. But I am happy that he lived a great life and inspired so many people.

Thank you, and good bye

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Man.... if the Howard's Mom episode made me tear up. The good bye to Spock episode from Big Bang is going to be rough.

Rest well Mr. Nimoy. Rest well.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    “My work is done here.”

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    This is bad comedy.

• Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    I grew up with Star Trek. One of my first memories is watching the premiere of Encounter at Farpoint with my mom. I didn't really know TOS, or understand its appeal, for a long time. Then came the Spock episodes of TNG, and there was a curiosity sparked.

Leonard Nimoy held many roles throughout his life, but it is no small thing to say that he was, and ever will be, Spock. The world lost a hell of an actor today, but for those of us who escaped into a future not quite so distant and a galaxy not so far away he was a reminder of what it meant to be human. To cherish your friends, and love them. To be kind and decent, to a fault. And, always, to wish others to live long and prosper.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    That tweet is beautiful.

Losing Leonard Nimoy is going to go down as the hardest loss this year(I hope). He was such a towering figure. His Spock showed that logical didn't mean robotic, but calm and rational.

I will miss him and Spock both.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    "Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end."

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Leonard Nimoy was the heart of Star Trek more truly than anyone else I think, even Gene Roddenberry. He'll be missed.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Tis sad day. We've lost a SciFi great. I'm enjoying some of the stuff that is surfacing because of this though. Apparently Mr. Nimoy did a commercial for my city phone company back in the 80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xlg5c6haFk

He does have a habit of popping up in Canadian telecom commercials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq0PIsUiaik

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "Aren't you dead?"

*eyebrow*

• Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Spock and Nimoy were truly one of a kind. Even characters that resembled him were merely iterations.

Fascinating.

Lucid on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    None of my co-workers knew who he was. They probably think Zachary Quinto died. Ugh.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I didn't find out until I got home from work. Sad :( I was no busy with work today that I didn't even have time to browse the usual sites. I hope he goes wherever it is that be believed he would go when he died. If there is one person who needs a proper burial in space, it's Nemoy.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    tumblr_nkgbu2y0B61r4pq4io1_540.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2015
    None of my co-workers knew who he was. They probably think Zachary Quinto died. Ugh.
    I think I'll just let the man himself sum up the response to your co-workers.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljjkO5rZNcI

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    tumblr_nkgbu2y0B61r4pq4io1_540.jpg

Fuck.

• Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Paraphrased
    cB557 wrote: »
    The most depressing picture ever posted

Get out.

:(

Priest on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    tumblr_nkgazm0k9c1r3rloeo1_500.jpg
    Spock’s death was shot over three days, during which no visitors were allowed on set.Spock’s death was to be irrevocable, but Nimoy had such a positive experience during filming that he asked if he could add a way for Spock to return in a later film. (x)

Star Trek ll: Wrath of Khan (1982)

Thank you Mr. Nimoy, you inspired us to live among the stars, to live long and to prosper.

From Fuck Yeah Behind the Scenes

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    When I was a child I watched Nimoy on this series called 'In Search of...'. It was a silly program (bigfoot, UFOs, etc), but it creeped me out back then. In part, I think this was Nimoy's talent and skill in varying his cadence. He was pretty good at creepy (along with the bgm), like some dark lore master. Partly because listening to Nimoy is to listen to someone that sounds like they know what they're talking about. Served him well for Civ IV too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdmMxtPv5Q0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZlWmYe8HM4&spfreload=10

Lucid on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I learned how to arch my eyebrow when I was a kid because of Spock. :sad:

EDIT:
    Yanno, normally I read about a celebrity death and go "damn, that sucks" but fucking hell, Nimoy being gone just keeps eating at the back of my head. Star Trek has been such a big part of my life that it's like losing a cool uncle. Every single time one of the crew passes it's just a god damn blow.

Fuck.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    So, trying not to let this be the most depressing Trek thread, I bring you a controversial opinion:

I like Pulaski.

I don't feel like she's hateful or particularly petty with Data. She just seems to have some definite stances which would not be borne out by the series as it progressed.

Other than that, she's a much more... living character than Crusher.

Also, Riker's a badass, all being a bro to Klingons and such.

• Options
    Pulaski is a complete and total dick with Data. Deep bitter sarcasm is all the worse when you're aiming it at someone who doesn't understand sarcasm. It just makes you look like a poison pill while they remain a puppy dog.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Pulaski is a complete and total dick with Data. Deep bitter sarcasm is all the worse when you're aiming it at someone who doesn't understand sarcasm. It just makes you look like a poison pill while they remain a puppy dog.

They were going for a Spock/Bones sort of relationship. I agree, though. Since Data was never a dick like Spock and didn't fight back like Spock, it was more like kicking a puppy. Spock had over 100 years of experience to Data's 16. Spock always played his emotions close to his chest and used it to great effect when verbally sparring with Bones. Data just stood there confused most of the time.

What I really want to know is what the Enterprise's central computer and Data would talk about. I bet they could spend many tPs(planck time unit) exchanging their musing on the meatbags they spend all day with.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Oh yeah, I got what they were going for, and also why it didn't work. Maybe they should have tried Pulaski vs Picard. Or maybe Pulaski the professional vs Troy the incompetent. I would have probably loved her, then.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    I think Pulaski would have worked better if it was her and Crusher sparring in a more medical profession way.

But ultimately it was also a case of a show only being able to support so many recurring characters.

• Options
    Data has actually been active between 26 to 30 years by the beginning of TNG. He was in Starfleet for over 20 years. He also had the memories of all the people on the Omicron Theta colony uploaded into his brain. So it was pretty ridiculous how naive Data was in TNG considering how he already spent years around humans. It was just dumb how he didn't even recognize basic slang and expressions.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Data has actually been active between 26 to 30 years by the beginning of TNG. He was in Starfleet for over 20 years. He also had the memories of all the people on the Omicron Theta colony uploaded into his brain. So it was pretty ridiculous how naive Data was in TNG considering how he already spent years around humans. It was just dumb how he didn't even recognize basic slang and expressions.

Yes, but as they emphasized on the show, there is a difference between knowing, and understanding. Though it's McGuffin technology, the premise behind Data's brain was that the positronic brain 'grew' much in the same way a human's did, forming neural connections that became more durable the more they were used. Having the knowledge was not nearly as useful as understanding it.

I liken it to IBM's Watson supercomputer. It has access to the entire internet, but despite that, it takes dozens of coders thousands of hours to make Watson 'understand' even the most basest of things. There was a fairly hilarious article regarding the work involved when they uploaded Urban Dictionary to Watson's core knowledge base.

Priest on
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

I've been watching recently, which is why I made the comment.

I've probably got some episodes coming up where I'll be compelled to hate Pulaski. but the last episode I watched featuring her was the one where she gets Old-sick from the superhuman kids. She's actually almost kinda sweet to Data at points in that episode.

Before that, there of course was "Elementary, My Dear Data," in which she acted like a chode.

BUT! I don't think, even in the limited time the character is around, she's really any worse as a bro than Worf or Yarr or even Riker at times.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The problem, imo, with the Pulaski/Data thing is that the writers try to do the Bones/Spock thing while not underestanding the fundamental difference between Spock and Data.

Spock acts like a grown-up, Data is much more child-like. More importantly in some ways, and linked to the above, Spock chooses to not feel emotions. Data just can't.

So when Bones gives Spock shit for being an emotionless monster, he's ragging on his lifestyle choices. He's saying that emotions are good and your adherence to logic and only logic is bad. And then they argue. And Spock gives McCoy the fucking eyebrow. When Polaski rags on Data, it's for what he is. It's for things he can't change or in some cases even wants to change. She is literally beating on a cripple.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Priest wrote: »

Yes, but as they emphasized on the show, there is a difference between knowing, and understanding. Though it's McGuffin technology, the premise behind Data's brain was that the positronic brain 'grew' much in the same way a human's did, forming neural connections that became more durable the more they were used. Having the knowledge was not nearly as useful as understanding it.

I liken it to IBM's Watson supercomputer. It has access to the entire internet, but despite that, it takes dozens of coders thousands of hours to make Watson 'understand' even the most basest of things. There was a fairly hilarious article regarding the work involved when they uploaded Urban Dictionary to Watson's core knowledge base.

I also remember reading about some of the weird misconceptions it developed, like that Star Wars happened in England due to the number of people there declaring their religion to be Jedi.

People tend to think information+intelligence=smart, but they're missing a key part of the equation: critical thinking skills. Without those, information is a trap. Conspiracy theorists are one example of what happens when an intelligence mind with poor critical thinking gains access to a large amount of unfiltered, context-free information.

Data's lucky he was how he was. Seven of Nine did basically the same thing, filling her mind with more data than she could understand at once, and took a running dive off the deep end as a result.

This discussion has been closed.