As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pax Prime 2014 Challenge Coin - Orders closed. Sign up to be notified for next year.

SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of DestructionRegistered User regular
edited September 2014 in PAX West
PAX PRIME 2014 CHALLENGE COIN
fbds0.jpg

After what has seemed like an eternity waiting for badges, it is time to start this year’s Pax Prime challenge coin. A challenge coin is a unique souvenir that will display your participation in this year’s event. Each Pax an unofficial coin is designed specifically for the event by this community.

HISTORY:
This will be the ninth Challenge Coin this community has produced:
Prime 2010, East 2011, Prime 2011, East 2012, Prime 2012, East 2013, Prime 2013, East 2014

DESIGN:

Update September 3, 2014

Orders for the challenge coin are now closed. A big thank you to all those who helped & participated. It was another great coin.
If you would like to be notified when we start working on the next Prime coin please fill out this survey: Pax Prime 2015 Challenge Coin Notice Sign Up

At Pax this year I got about $50 in donations to put towards the die fee for next year, and a few promises to donate once the link goes up. You all have been great, can't wait to do it again.

Old Design info:
Update June 30, 2014
The 'Go Fund Me' site is live.

Update July 15, 2014
The pre-order page is now live for domestic orders:
http://phoenixchallengecoins.com/shop/pax-prime-seattle-2014-paramount-theater-custom-coin-phoenix-challenge-coins-pre-orders/
Order before JULY 27th July 29th to get your coins by PAX, barring any unforeseen circumstances.
Right now each coin is $8 and shipping looks to be $11.60 for your whole order.

For international orders, you can use the link above & pay the high shipping, but I am guessing a better option would be for me to order the international coins & schedule a pick up / drop off at PAX.
Since WePay has closed their store, the best way I see to collect money is to just send it though PayPal.
For International Orders Only:
When ordering, please include your forum name & contact information in the notes. If you are staying at a hotel and want me to drop the coins off at the front desk please include the hotel information as well. Once you know your room number you will need to PM me here and let me know.
Coins are $9 each for international orders to cover any fees.
Again, for international orders only, send $9 per coin to my PayPal at matthewryanallen@hotmail.com with your contact information by July 25th. I will then place the order and have them shipped to me.
Keep in mind that you are responsible for meeting up with me / getting me the correct Hotel information. If you don't meet up with me at PAX you will need to pay for shipping to get your coins.

gofundme.com/awbeq8

We need $300 to get the die made. The faster we can fund this the faster we can get to ordering the coins.

Update June 12, 2014
Results of the voting:

Pinball: 28
Coin Slot: 19

Thanks to all that voted.

We only have about two weeks to finalize our design, so I will work on getting the pinball mock up finished.

In the mean time we need to pick a final image for the Paramount Theatre. I have sent an E-mail to the owner of the first image I posted and will let you know if I hear from him soon. Even if we don't, I think we may be modifying the image enough to not have to worry.

I also stopped by the Paramount this past weekend to try to get a few pictures.
iPhone + bad lighting + construction + in a hurry = not great pictures, but here is the album anyway: imgur.com/a/w5g2P

Update June 9, 2014

Since it looks like we have two generally liked ideas for the face of the coin, I would like to go ahead and vote for which one we should use.
Obviously, these are just basic ideas & not meant to be the final product.

Pinball
8yPaUt2l.png
The idea here is the white would be replaced with simple 2D graphics & the other items would be 3D.

Coin Slot
g0sleu9qkpmb.jpeg
The fingers would be removed & the quarter face would be replaced with the simple forum crest. The imagery on the slot can also be changed.

Please vote here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1WYRYvr2x_3SljcPJJ7ufbNVy4DUEHAiqmm6yedELy4g/viewform?usp=send_form

Voting is due by Thursday June 12th at 10:00am PDT

Update June 3, 2014
Paramount Theatre has won the vote and will be used as the Seattle landmark.

Update May 29, 2014
Since we have had several good ideas posted for the Seattle Landmark, and in the interest of time, I have gone ahead and created the voting form:

Vote for the Seattle Landmark to be used on the Pax Prime 2014 Challenge Coin

The choices are in Alphabetical order:

- Century Link Field
- Fremont Troll
- Monorail w/ EMP
- Paramount Theatre
- Pink Elephant Car Wash Sign

This is the Alternate Voting method. If your first choice comes in last then that item is eliminated and your second choice gets your vote. This continues until one item has at least 50% or there is only one left. This will help eliminating the need for multiple votes.

Deadline for voting is Monday June 2nd at 10:00am PDT.

Original:
Here are the known design elements:
Size: 1.75"
Finish: Antique bronze
Edge: Reeded
Face theme: Arcade

The unknowns we will figure out here:
For the face of the coin we will use the standard Welcome Home / pac-man / Numquam Mentula Es encircling a design. The design is always something that relates to Pax / Gaming.
Prime 2010: Hand holding up a DS (like is done during Pax concerts).
East 2011: Dice & cards to signify tabletop gaming.
Prime 2011: A D-pad for console gaming.
East 2012: Arcade cabinet with space invaders on the side.
Prime 2012: Monitors surrounding the WASD keys and a mice for PC gaming.
East 2013: Linked Game Boys representing handheld again.
Prime 2013: Meeple & dice representing board games.
East 2014: Array of Next Gen controllers.

For the reverse we always use a prominent feature of the host city. For Prime we have used the Space Needle, Convention Center, Pike Place Market & a Ferry. For East they have used the Paul Revere statue, the USS Constitution, the Zakim Bridge, & Make Way for Ducklings statue.
NOTE: Since this is an unofficial coin we cannot use any Pax logos or any images of Gabe, Tycho, & PA without prior approval.

MANUFACTURING:
Phoenix Challenge Coins will be used again this year. We should be able to order them direct so we will not have the distribution issue.

SCHEDULE:
This is a rough schedule to make sure we stay on track and we all get the coin before PAX. Last year we had a major bump that derailed that goal & with the late start this year we will have to stay focused. (I will update with more specific dates after talking to PCC).

Design Finalized on our end; submit to artist for any modifications needed: June 27
Final design submitted, die production started: July 4th.
Coin production starts / orders placed with PCC: July 18th.
Coins ship out: August 8th.

QUESTIONS:
If you have any questions please post them here.

IhtGIyi.png
SkeleVader on

• Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    This year's rotation means it is our turn to use Arcade as the theme.
    I have not had a chance to make a mock up yet, but my idea was to make the face resemble a pinball field with elements from Pax. Not sure what it would look like, but I'll put something together.

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I guess I'll get the ball rolling on ideas then.

Back: Fremont Troll

Edit: removed front suggestion because SkeleVader has a most excellent idea already.

DashD on

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • Options
    I3izzyI3izzy Nonofficial member of the F5 brigade FG, ORRegistered User regular
    Ah, my favorite pax swag. I can't wait till we pick a design.

ZYseqtZ.png
  • Options
    banghibanghi luddite... CascadiaRegistered User regular
    Too bad we can't use the Lombardi trophy for the reverse... #gohawks!

pax
    clt
  • Options
    Mr Je11ymanMr Je11yman Registered User regular
    I think the pinball theme would be great, and allows for some creative freedom as well.

• Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    banghi wrote: »
    Too bad we can't use the Lombardi trophy for the reverse... #gohawks!

We could use Century Link Field as the landmark for the back though.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    Famous Seattleites Bruce Lee and Adam West ganging up on Kurt Kobain and Jimi Hendrix while Bill Nye the Science Guy and Bill Gates watch rooting the fight on

• Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    Honest question here. Does it HAVE to be related to video games/PAX? Could it be related to a wider nerd culture? I was thinking of trying to work up a kinda lovecraftian design, kinda a emphasis on books and reading, but dunno if that fits with the theme?

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Well, the history is the front of the coin is related to a PAX interest/activity (arcade games, tabletop games, video games, etc) and the back of the coin is related to the region PAX is taking place in.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    smashilatorsmashilator Tacoma, WARegistered User regular
    I like the pinball and the Clink on the reverse. Other ideas for the reverse that haven't been used are the troll, the ferris wheel (with the needle in the background), and pacific science center. Though I think the Clink would be a good use for this year for obvious reasons.

• Options
    Dr.RocktipusDr.Rocktipus Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    If there isn't a copyright issue, what about the Pink Elephant car wash sign for the back?

Dr.Rocktipus on
  • Options
    2spock2spock Registered User regular
    totally need the F5 somewhere lol. also this would be my first pax. so how much would these coins cost?

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    I'm not from seattle, but I like the nod to the hawks winning the superbowl, so count my vote for the stadium.
    I can't wait to participate in this, i've been dying to for years.

• Options
    I'll support Century Link or any hawks themed reverse. Heck a throwback to the Kingdome would be pretty neat too, go old school. This just seems like the most appropriate year for something along these lines. #gohawks

pax
    clt
  • Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    So I will be the devils advocate. Since this is suppose to be relative to attendees, I'm not sure that the stadium would be a good choice. This will be my third PAX and I don't even remember seeing the stadium. I'm sure we passed it to/from the airport but that's how little it stuck in my memory.

For previous coins the places represented locations that an average attendee would go. Something like the EMP museum or top pot doughnuts would be a lot more relevant.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    I'd have to agree with the Clink going on the reverse, because the Seahawks winning the Super Bowl is not something that happens every year.

tw787Xr.png

• Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Based on the (entirely non-scientific) sample posting here so far, there's a fair number of PAX attendees who would happily go to a game at the Clink.

Although as a die-hard Broncos fan, this is going to be a slightly painful coin to own.

• Options
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    Honest question here. Does it HAVE to be related to video games/PAX? Could it be related to a wider nerd culture? I was thinking of trying to work up a kinda lovecraftian design, kinda a emphasis on books and reading, but dunno if that fits with the theme?

Yes, it has to relate to gaming as that is the tradition. And due to the time crunch I have selected Arcade as the theme this year, which also happens to stick to our rotation history.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    So I will be the devils advocate. Since this is suppose to be relative to attendees, I'm not sure that the stadium would be a good choice. This will be my third PAX and I don't even remember seeing the stadium. I'm sure we passed it to/from the airport but that's how little it stuck in my memory.

For previous coins the places represented locations that an average attendee would go. Something like the EMP museum or top pot doughnuts would be a lot more relevant.

If I read the schedule correctly there is a Sounders home game on Saturday the 30th... so the average attendee might actually go there. #gohawks!

pax
    clt
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    What about one of those "insert coin to play" slots with a previous challenge coin going in?

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options

If I read the schedule correctly there is a Sounders home game on Saturday the 30th... so the average attendee might actually go there. #gohawks!

There is also a Hawks preseason game there Thursday night.
    Also, the stadium is a major part of the horizon for most coming to Pax as the Train lets out right at the stadium, the light rail has a stop at it, and it's hard to miss driving from the South.

But a few people liking the idea does not a final decision make.

I will post a Voting link in a few days so we can decide.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Fenway got voted down during a world series season for Boston, so I wouldn't call the seahawks stadium any sort of a lock. Admittedly though, Seattle doesn't exactly have a huge variety of landmarks from which to choose, being a much younger city.

• Options
    OysterPrimeOysterPrime Registered User regular
    I've been waiting for this to be posted. I absolutely love my Prime 2012 coin and could almost hit myself for not getting the East 2013 coin, so I'll be getting this one for sure.

As for the landmark, there are valid arguments for and against using the stadiums. I wouldn't mind if CenturyLink was on there because of the Super Bowl relevance, but could Safeco field considered as well? We had a lot of fun seeing the Mariners/Angels game in 2012 and I'm sure other PAXers go to Mariners games as well. It is also completely understandable if people don't want a stadium on there, and would rather go with a more general landmark.

PAX Prime: 2012, 2014
    PAX East: 2013

PAX East 2016:
    [ X ] Badge [ X ] Hotel [ X ] Plane Ticket
  • Options
    popsiphonepopsiphone Registered User regular
    CenturyLink as long as its image only. Other cool visual landmarks are EMP, Pacific Science Center, Seattle Library, & the Hendrix Statue. + 1 for the Library.

• Options
    2spock2spock Registered User regular
    Does it have to be in Seattle? if not there is a arcade bar names ground kontrol down here in Portland. It has a ton of classic arcade games as well as a huge set of pinball machines.

• Options
    2spock wrote: »
    Does it have to be in Seattle? if not there is a arcade bar names ground kontrol down here in Portland. It has a ton of classic arcade games as well as a huge set of pinball machines.

Yes, per tradition the landmark has to be in the host city. In this case Seattle.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    wangulatorwangulator Registered User new member
    CenturyLink Field would be a great choice given recent events. However, if that falls through, I third having the Fremont Troll since all of the Prime coins have been buildings/architecture and the ferry, having a sculpture would be a nice change. Also, I think it could go very well with the Arcade theme.

• Options
    2spock wrote: »
    totally need the F5 somewhere lol. also this would be my first pax. so how much would these coins cost?

Cost is variable year to year, but expect them to be around $10 per coin with probably $5 shipping.
    This will all depend on how we do the production & distribution, but it is a good metric to go by.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    IncarnadineIncarnadine Registered User regular
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    Also, the stadium is a major part of the horizon for most coming to Pax as the Train lets out right at the stadium...

What about King Street Station (or just the clock tower) itself? It's been part of the city for over a hundred years and they just finished a renovation last year.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    wangulator wrote: »
    However, if that falls through, I third having the Fremont Troll since all of the Prime coins have been buildings/architecture and the ferry, having a sculpture would be a nice change.

On kind of the same note as the sculpture I would be on board with the elephant sign.

adias.angel on
  • Options

Got a bit pumped, but checked and it looks as if that game is at Oakland...

pax
    clt
  • Options

Got a bit pumped, but checked and it looks as if that game is at Oakland...

Damn, your right.
    I guess my mind just assumed it would be in Seattle because there was one there last year at Prime.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I had a second thought, what about the Lincoln Toe Truck. I know it's sitting in MOHAI now and not on the corner of Mercer, but that is a fairly cool piece of Seattle history.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • Options
    DaPaladinDaPaladin Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    The Fremont Troll/Arcade or King Dome/Arcade sounds the best to me; both have the old school vibe. Would still be happy with the Clink though. #gohawks

DaPaladin on
    jparp8146qaj.png
  • Options
    zeromystzeromyst wat Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I do like the Century Link Stadium idea for the back.

Other somewhat cool ideas for the back.

Paramount Theatre
    Pink Elephant Car Wash (like Dr.Rocktipus mentioned)
    Monorail (I don't think this was ever done?)
    Seattle Great Wheel
    and some other places I can't think of right now.

Leaving work now - if I think of anything else I'll update.

zeromyst on
    CRANK UP THE C. CRANK UP THE D.
  • Options
    ApplezJuiceApplezJuice Modesto, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Nice, I am excited to order one of these for my first time at PAX! :smiley:

East 2016-
    color=green][b]✓[/b][/color Tickets
    [ ] Find a room
    color=green][b]✓[/b][/color Crying to go already
    [ ] Bar Party
  • Options
    We talked about the monorail last year didn't we? Or was that the year before? Either way I loved the idea then and now. :)

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Mighty wrote: »
    What about one of those "insert coin to play" slots with a previous challenge coin going in?

YES. If not one of the previous coins, a coin with the Pax Community crest on it? If that's too big/complicated for the small size you could go with the little Pax Community shield with the year like they did with the dice set last year.

As for some comments about the stadiums, I don't think Safeco should be ruled out for future uses since it is another landmark, but the Clink had its time to shine this past year. I wouldn't necessarily put the hawks logo prominently on there or anything since it's not particularly related to gaming, but the stadium itself is a landmark for the area.

smashilator on
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    We talked about the monorail last year didn't we? Or was that the year before? Either way I loved the idea then and now. :)

Yes, we looked at it last year, and probably the year before.

Here is the mock up I did for it last year:
    4lW84tnl.png

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    g0sleu9qkpmb.jpeg

Something like that angle, minus the fingers, the 25cents, and the..space squid? and add a better coin and just "Insert Coin to Play"