As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dota 2] thread: [mid or feed edition]

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Thinking of which, it bugged me in that game that Necros kept going into Rosh pit when Ursa finally did get down in there; I couldn't figure out how he knew, if Ursa was using smoke.
    I mean, you *know* he's going to attempt it, and the reward for stopping him and potentially stealing the Roshan kill for your team is huge. If I'm playing support I always start camping around Roshan whenever Ursa gets Vlads (from before his orb change). The only thing that's changed is the timing.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    P10 wrote: »
    Thinking of which, it bugged me in that game that Necros kept going into Rosh pit when Ursa finally did get down in there; I couldn't figure out how he knew, if Ursa was using smoke.
    I mean, you *know* he's going to attempt it, and the reward for stopping him and potentially stealing the Roshan kill for your team is huge. If I'm playing support I always start camping around Roshan whenever Ursa gets Vlads (from before his orb change). The only thing that's changed is the timing.

Our Ursa was using the super-meta "jungle to fifteen minute Rosh" timing window.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options

Our Ursa was using the super-meta "jungle to fifteen minute Rosh" timing window.
    Would have fooled me. I think 9-10 minutes was the time for Vlads Ursa and now he can probably do it at like...4-5 minutes.

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I see Ursa smoking into the pit for Rosh kills around 6 minutes now.

• Options
    yeah he probably can't do it earlier unless someone helps him

• Options

Would have fooled me. I think 9-10 minutes was the time for Vlads Ursa and now he can probably do it at like...4-5 minutes.

The absolute earliest I've done it is entering the pit at just after the five minute mark. You need smoke, mask, and L4. And a little bit of luck if you're doing it at L4.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    i think ursa can pull it off once he gets his morbid mask now

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    mts wrote: »
    i think ursa can pull it off once he gets his morbid mask now

Like I said, mask and L4.

Smoke is technically optional, but highly recommended.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Yep, level 5 and Mask is Ursa timing. You unnecessarily delay your second Aegis if you wait for Vlads. The main advantage to waitin until vlads around level 8 is that you will be at near full health during the whole attempt, making it slightly safer.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    The reason to wait until Vlads is people don't read the goddamn patch notes and still don't know that Drow's ult has an AoE trigger from 10 patches ago, let alone that Ursa isn't a UAM.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    drow's precision aura, not ult.

• Options
    No, her ult has an AoE trigger. If you walk within 450? range, it turns off.

Again, people don't know that, why would they know recent news?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    milski wrote: »
    No, her ult has an AoE trigger. If you walk within 450? range, it turns off.

Again, people don't know that, why would they know recent news?

oh that thing

i thought you meant that some people didnt know her aura affected creeps on a spellcast..

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    Man I just had one of the most hilarious RAD games. I am Skywrath and end up with clinkz invis, VS's stun, NPs trees, and skywrath's ult. Jungle for abit hit 6 and go top and use my stun and ult to just melt a dude up there. And thats basically what I do the rest of the game run around invis with an orchid and stun and ult people to kill them. By the end of the game two people on the other team are salty as hell complaining about the combo.

And here I was thinking picking in the middle would mean I'd never get any fun combos.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Hey do the people in ranked ever get any nicer/better? Ranked just seems like a total shithole and is not very fun. I'm currently at 3K...

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    The trench never ends supposedly!

• Options
    To expand further: There's such a broad range of skill in this game that "shockingly, jaw droppingly incompetent" can exist for players of almost all skill levels, and refer to players of almost all skill levels. Combine that with normal reasons for getting mad at the game, and you can't just say "when people get better, they won't make mistakes/will understand mistakes." Your frustration at Jungle N'aix is a higher level player's frustration at Sand King not stacking for himself, and is a lower level player's frustration when his teammates are literally MMR-loss bots.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Why didn't anyone tell me that Rubick is awesome?

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    There are a lot of fun combos in AD. My favorite continues to be the sniper range passive and the enchantress ult (which nets you even more range with sceptre). Get it on Lina and people just melt.

Shadowhope on
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Typos everywhere. Will repost when I'm not on my phone

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So in the weird moment of team shuffle Merlini is playing for Zephyr for KDL Season 3.

That one was out of no where.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    So here's how big Dota2 is in China.

Unless the LiquidDota tracker is broken, there are one hundred and eighty nine thousand people watching icex3 streaming normal matchmaking matches. I can't watch the stream for some reason to confirm, but that's pretty nuts.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I had to abandon my very first game last night. So mad about it. My wife and I had plans to go out for the evening, and I decided to play a round of Dota before we had to leave because we had plenty of time. Game went smoothly, honestly. We wiped them at around 35 minutes, then pushed a T2 and both bottom and middle T3 and raxes. All they had left was top rax. And we still had a little time before a few members of their team were up, so we really, honestly could have finished the game if we'd have only pushed the towers down around the throne (or gone for megas, but they still had a T2 top tower at this stage).

But no.

Instead, half the team left to chase Morphling around his base while he stalled for time so the rest of his crew could come in and finish everyone up. The other half decided this was an amazing time to go Rosh. So here I am, this lone AA, autoattacking throne towers. They end up regrouping and wiping us, and what happens next is like THIRTY FUCKING MINUTES of us doing nothing but farming while they desperately try to defend their base from two sets of megas.

I was like begging my team. "Guys, I have to fucking go. My wife is getting so pissed. We're going to be late for dinner. Please, for the love of God, just go finish the game." But they wouldn't. They literally never said a word to me.

I finally left at like the 55 minute mark. I ran in desperately and tried to do as much damage as possible to the towers and players before I went down. Then I just left the game running and ran out to the car where my wife was waiting with a really shitty look on her face, lol. We got to where we were going, and when I checked my profile on Dotabuff, I saw that the game ended like 10 minutes later and I got an abandon.

There's absolutely no fucking reason that game had to last over an hour; we had it in the bag at 35 minutes, but people decided to fuck around instead of win.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    I had to abandon my very first game last night. So mad about it. My wife and I had plans to go out for the evening, and I decided to play a round of Dota before we had to leave because we had plenty of time. Game went smoothly, honestly. We wiped them at around 35 minutes, then pushed a T2 and both bottom and middle T3 and raxes. All they had left was top rax. And we still had a little time before a few members of their team were up, so we really, honestly could have finished the game if we'd have only pushed the towers down around the throne (or gone for megas, but they still had a T2 top tower at this stage).

But no.

Instead, half the team left to chase Morphling around his base while he stalled for time so the rest of his crew could come in and finish everyone up. The other half decided this was an amazing time to go Rosh. So here I am, this lone AA, autoattacking throne towers. They end up regrouping and wiping us, and what happens next is like THIRTY FUCKING MINUTES of us doing nothing but farming while they desperately try to defend their base from two sets of megas.

I was like begging my team. "Guys, I have to fucking go. My wife is getting so pissed. We're going to be late for dinner. Please, for the love of God, just go finish the game." But they wouldn't. They literally never said a word to me.

I finally left at like the 55 minute mark. I ran in desperately and tried to do as much damage as possible to the towers and players before I went down. Then I just left the game running and ran out to the car where my wife was waiting with a really shitty look on her face, lol. We got to where we were going, and when I checked my profile on Dotabuff, I saw that the game ended like 10 minutes later and I got an abandon.

There's absolutely no fucking reason that game had to last over an hour; we had it in the bag at 35 minutes, but people decided to fuck around instead of win.

Man, if there's one thing I've had to learn 10 times over, it's if "you have time for 1 game", you don't have time.

• Options
    NatinatorNatinator Registered User regular

But no.

I managed to convince my team in a recent game to just push when we wiped the enemy.

Came from behind as a Gyro to being able to crap on the enemy. Hell, I died to an Ursa with an Earthshaker standing RIGHT next to me, literally. He used his small aoe stun, lets Ursa shit over me, then uses his ranged stun to finish him off.

Steam ID: natinator Xbox Live: Natman PRIME LoL: A1 Sauce
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    If you don't have a good hour for a game but only 30 minutes, don't bother queueing, it'll always be the one that somehow goes to 70 minutes.

• Options
    We were totally fine on time. What happened was at the 35 minute mark, I told my wife I was ready to go "in just a few minutes - game's almost over". Then it stretched on another 30.

• Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    Alright but you still said you had to leave before the end.

• Options
    I love how the point of the story was that we had the game in the bag at 35 minutes, then the team decided just to dick around and literally double the length of the match for no reason, and I'm evidently still the one who was in the wrong.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I love how the point of the story was that we had the game in the bag at 35 minutes, then the team decided just to dick around and literally double the length of the match for no reason, and I'm evidently still the one who was in the wrong.

The point is that Dota matches can drag out and if you don't have time for a long one, you do not have time.

• Options
    Captains Draft, right? We keep telling our captain, "Ursa is the right pick for this game. We have a ton of control with Bristleback, Enigma, Venge, etc, and what we need is someone who can punish with that kind of control. Ursa is the best fit. He works against their lineup while complementing both our team and our lanes. Pick Ursa."

He puts off grabbing Ursa. Then keeps putting him off. All the while we're like, "Just grab Ursa."

Picks Spectre. We lose, and all of us are like, "Would have been awesome to have had that Ursa."

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I argue with my friends that at our level of play, picks (within reason) don't matter as much as just playing better.

It is easy to say "They outpicked us" but more accurate to say "they out-played us".

• Options
    Really people extending matches for no reason is one of my biggest peaves. I don't understand the value for anyone, if you're winning you are wasting the time before you can get into another match, and you also potentially give the losing team time to pull something crazy out and come back.

I don't think anyone should ever quit, and I totally thin you should fight to the end, but stopping the push on the ancient when both middle towers are down to go kill roshan is just annoying.

• Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    If I have to be somewhere I always give myself an hour and a half of game time for worst case scenarios.

Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    A lot of the garbage could be fixed if they put in a surrender option

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Vladimer wrote: »

... which would create a whole new pile of garbage as a result.

• Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Vladimer wrote: »

... which would create a whole new pile of garbage as a result.

by all means, waste 40 minutes of time in a futile match. it makes you better.

• Options
    Yeah, the surrender option is an interesting issue. Because there are a lot of people who would try to quit early just to get back into queue even if the game wasn't necessarily lost.

• Options
    Surrender in League and Hon had/have several issues, and DotA already has a surrender option for five players. It does not need to be encouraged, and anecdotally the big turnarounds can be really fun.

I ate an engineer