As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Credit Cards: Should I get a loan to pay them off?

1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
I have 2 credit cards with BofA that were emergency use, and (surprise!) we had an emergency last year. I've been paying what we can afford, but it's barely made a dent, and the interest eats up a lot of the progress. Here are the details:

RQZHCKF.png

I have a couple of store credit lines (0% interest deals for furniture, tires) that I'm paying off without issue, but could be considered for the loan, I suppose.

Here's the goal: I want to buy a house in the next year, and right now CreditKarma estimates my score at ~635. That's enough to qualify but I'm going to get an above average interest rate with a crap APR. Should I get a loan to consolidate this and ratchet down the interest rate on Card 1?

I was thinking that if I lower my credit card utilization by rolling the debt into a loan, then my score will tick up a bit. Obviously, I'll leave the cards open, and barring any emergencies, should be able to pay down the loan at a more reasonable rate.

The thing is, now it would show as a larger portion of debt (and at 100% utilization, no less). Here's the visual:

Card 1: 92.2% utilization
Card 2: 87.5% utilization

Furniture Card: 61% utilization
Tires Card: 25% utilization

Loan: 100% utilization

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Because houses are such durable goods, you'd be surprised at how little your interest rate on a home will move based on your credit score.

Because those balances are so low I'd say it's pretty extreme to get a debt consolidation loan at this point.

The better move would be to just pay them directly. If you can't at least make a dent in 5k worth of credit card, then you don't have any business owning a house to start with.

The ideal utilization is between 10 and 33%... but if you could even get into the 50's that would look fine to an underwriter

Jasconius on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Can't give you a detailed answer unfortunately, but man, I would try my hardest to get rid of Card 1 first. That interest rate sucks.

What about trying to transfer the balance to another card? I know I get the 0% interest for x amount of months offers with new cards in the mail every so often.

• Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    I do not have the experience or qualification to comment on this sort of debt consolidation. I do want to suggest, however, that your goal of buying a house may be unrealistic given your current situation. Are you, for instance, in a position to provide any sort of down payment?

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    noir_blood wrote: »
    What about trying to transfer the balance to another card? I know I get the 0% interest for x amount of months offers with new cards in the mail every so often.

The downside is that it's a hard credit hit, and a new balance means shorter history. FICO prefers long credit histories with few credit hits.
    Heartlash wrote: »
    Are you, for instance, in a position to provide any sort of down payment?
    I have about $3,500 in savings now, on track to have $15k by next year (purchase time). I have no trouble making rent, but I realize that my budget means I'm looking at a FHA loan (3.5% down is all that's required). It means paying mortgage insurance until I break 80% equity, too.

I don't want to use savings to pay off these cards (or even a portion) because of the emergency we encountered last year, and whether or not something else happens. My savings budget cannot be compromised in the interim.

I could probably shift my budget around and pay more on the cards each month. Right now, I pay $175 on card 1 and $75 on card 2. I think I can bump card 1 to ~$250 if I'm careful, and card 2 to $125. That means my monthly credit card payment goes from $250 to $375, but it also means paying them off in around 15 months as opposed to 24.

I'm just sick of paying these off so slowly. I know it's not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but it's really frustrating.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    what's the hurry on your house

if you can actually save 15 grand, then just pay the off and wait another few months or another year to buy a house

the doomsday scenario where rates were going to spike when the fed started ending quantitative easing has, for the moment, proven to be false, primarily because the housing market is still so depressed

you still have time to get your rate

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    1ddqd wrote: »
    I don't want to use savings to pay off these cards (or even a portion) because of the emergency we encountered last year, and whether or not something else happens. My savings budget cannot be compromised in the interim.

I could probably shift my budget around and pay more on the cards each month. Right now, I pay $175 on card 1 and $75 on card 2. I think I can bump card 1 to ~$250 if I'm careful, and card 2 to $125. That means my monthly credit card payment goes from $250 to $375, but it also means paying them off in around 15 months as opposed to 24.

I'm just sick of paying these off so slowly. I know it's not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but it's really frustrating.

Honestly, with the interest rate on that first card, I'd use at least some of savings to just pay it off. And even if all you do is increase the payments, you should be putting all the extra on the first card until it's paid off, then put that total towards the new card (i.e. if you can afford 375/month, pay the minimum on card 2 and pay everything else on card 1, that will minimize the interest you have to pay).

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    the doomsday scenario ... has, for the moment, proven to be false,
    Our son will be two in August, really want him to think of "growing up" in a house, instead of moving around in an apartment. I want him to have a backyard to play in and a neighborhood to explore.
    "Daenris wrote:
    ... even if all you do is increase the payments, you should be putting all the extra on the first card until it's paid off, then put that total towards the new card (i.e. if you can afford 375/month, pay the minimum on card 2 and pay everything else on card 1, that will minimize the interest you have to pay).
    I figured that's what I've been doing with Card 2, that $75 is a little more than the minimum, enough to make a dent while I get rid of #1. I can scale back on Card 2 and make more progress with card 1, though.

Thanks for all of the advice guys

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Use your savings to pay off the credit card debt AND add $175 a month to your savings account. Think of it as taking a loan from yourself. This will save you about $350 more than taking out a loan for 2 years at half the interest rate of that card.

• Options
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Use your savings to pay off the credit card debt AND add $175 a month to your savings account. Think of it as taking a loan from yourself. This will save you about $350 more than taking out a loan for 2 years at half the interest rate of that card.
    That's a good idea, tempting. I'll have to sleep on it.

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    Our son will be two in August, really want him to think of "growing up" in a house, instead of moving around in an apartment. I want him to have a backyard to play in and a neighborhood to explore.
    "Daenris wrote:
    ... even if all you do is increase the payments, you should be putting all the extra on the first card until it's paid off, then put that total towards the new card (i.e. if you can afford 375/month, pay the minimum on card 2 and pay everything else on card 1, that will minimize the interest you have to pay).
    I figured that's what I've been doing with Card 2, that $75 is a little more than the minimum, enough to make a dent while I get rid of #1. I can scale back on Card 2 and make more progress with card 1, though.

You definitely need to focus on Card 1 first, as noted. That interest rate is 'standard', but it's the major hurdle for you right now.

Regarding your child, you can take this advice or leave it, but he's not going to remember that you moved into a house right now or in the next few months. He likely won't remember later in life even if you do it a year from now, unless you constantly reinforce this with HEY remember when we moved wasn't that awesome?!. He just won't.

I understand that you want these environmental benefits for him for enrichment purposes or mental stimulation, but if your current living situation is stable, you can replicate this with daily trips to the local park or playground, playtime outside, or just taking walks together. He will enjoy it now, and he won't remember anything about it in a year or two. I promise. ;_; Getting a house is for you, not him. Save your money and find the right place at the right time for you.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    "tuxkamen wrote: »
    Getting a house is for you, not him. Save your money and find the right place at the right time for you.

Great point, thanks for that.

• Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    "Daenris wrote:

You definitely need to focus on Card 1 first, as noted. That interest rate is 'standard', but it's the major hurdle for you right now.

Regarding your child, you can take this advice or leave it, but he's not going to remember that you moved into a house right now or in the next few months. He likely won't remember later in life even if you do it a year from now, unless you constantly reinforce this with HEY remember when we moved wasn't that awesome?!. He just won't.

I understand that you want these environmental benefits for him for enrichment purposes or mental stimulation, but if your current living situation is stable, you can replicate this with daily trips to the local park or playground, playtime outside, or just taking walks together. He will enjoy it now, and he won't remember anything about it in a year or two. I promise. ;_; Getting a house is for you, not him. Save your money and find the right place at the right time for you.

I agree with this advice and endorse it quite a bit, by paying the cards off (even just the higher interest rate first card) with savings, and then continuing to save, you can be in a great position for when your son starts school. I think that is a crucial time to have stability and all the creature comforts that owning and living in a house can provide for everyone in your family. so clear the credit cards, save now, make the sacrifice if your current situation won't destroy your sanity, so that you can get a house that will be exactly what you need for the long term during some of the best formative years for your son and family.

• Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    I don't know much about credit scores, but comparing loan/investment options is pretty straight forward if they have a known interest rate. Just put the money where the interest rate is better. If the loan is at a lower interest rate than the credit card then in purely money terms you'd be better off taking the loan and paying off the cards. If your savings is producing less interest than the interest on the cards then you'd be better off using the savings to pay off the cards. If both are true, use the option that has the lowest interest rate.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    I don't think this has been mentioned yet but I'd make sure that card with the 0% promo rate doesn't retroactively charge interest on the balance if you carry it past the promo period. I don't think that's something that happens with credit cards but definitely worth checking up on.

XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    saltiness wrote: »
    I don't think this has been mentioned yet but I'd make sure that card with the 0% promo rate doesn't retroactively charge interest on the balance if you carry it past the promo period. I don't think that's something that happens with credit cards but definitely worth checking up on.

I've never seen a credit card that does this. That's pretty much entirely for store cards and "special financing." The credit cards get you on the 3% or so balance transfer fee (so a 0% APR for 12 months on transfers is actually a 3% APR, which is still decent).

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Unless you're getting 21% or higher on your savings you should really just use it to pay the card 1 down and then keep it at a zero/minimal balance so that you can reserve that to use for emergencies. Realistically you're probably getting like, 2% on your savings account which means you're losing out to the tune of 19% interest per month at LEAST. Also seriously your son won't remember much of anything until at least 4 or 5 (which is why I never understand splashy expensive vacations for three year olds, but I digress) and he certainly won't be resentful or anything of not having a yard at two or three years old.

If you can manage to stay in your current place without going crazy stay as long as you can to save up before getting a house! Especially if you're feeling rushed and pressured to get a house by some certain developmental milestone you may end up making a purchase that ends up not being as good long-term as you may have hoped, vs waiting a few years and being able to take your time and get The One. You may even end up with some cute apartment-y memories! The only memory I have before I was 4 or 5 - I was probably 3? - is wandering around our downtown cruddy neighborhood with my dad at 1am to go to the dunkin donuts and sit outside watching traffic and talking to old dudes with insomnia and homeless guys. Um, that might not be the kind of memory you're really jazzed about creating but it's so different tonally from the rest of my really little kid memories that it's something really special to me.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Don't take out a loan to deal with credit card debt- you're just replacing unsecured debt with secured.

Look at it this way- if the worst should happen, and you end up having to default on the cards, they can get a judgement against you to make you pay the balance. If you default on a loan, you lose whatever you put up as collateral- like cars, property, etc.

Take what you save and throw chunks at the first card until the balance is zeroed out, then work on the second card. Don't close either of them, that'll hurt your credit. Then, when they're both clear, just keep taking everything you were paying and put that into savings, and build up your down-payment fund. You'll have more money you can throw to your savings and sparkling credit for a better rate.

Will it take longer? Sure, but at least then one emergency won't put you into the position of possibly losing your newly-bought home because you can't pay the mortgage.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    if you do end up getting a higher limit/lower rate card or a loan to transfer these balances over, DON'T spend the balances on the old cards back up. it is a very easy thing to do. one solution, that is a bit dramatic, is to throw them in a solo cup full of water, and freeze it. it's a huge pain to get them out, and it discourages you from using them.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    The cup thing only worked pre-internet shopping. If you know the number, you know the number and can therefore use the card.

Can you open up a line of credit with a lower rate? That's what I did. I still use my credit card but pay it off every month via my LoC that has a significantly lower rate. Of course, I pay the LoC off also, just slower.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    This is a good point, and it doesn't retroactively charge interest in this case. It begins accruing on purchases after Aug 2014.
    if you do end up getting a higher limit/lower rate card or a loan to transfer these balances over, DON'T spend the balances on the old cards back up. it is a very easy thing to do.
    Thanks for the warning, but I didn't use the cards at all. The only reason they have a balance is because of an emergency (and I don't mean of the Steam Sale variety).

1ddqd on
  • Options
    olanmillsolanmills Registered User regular
    This is a good point, and it doesn't retroactively charge interest in this case. It begins accruing on purchases after Aug 2014.

Are you sure about that? I haven't paid attention to new credit card offers in a while, but that seems unusual.

Your store credit cards have a high utilization. I'm not sure your credit score will improve significantly in just a year just by shifting some credit card balance to a loan. However, it could help you save money. If you do go that route, try to get a loan from a credit union, but be wary of the false psychological freedom it gives you to incur new balances on your credit cards.

I'm making assumptions based on the little information that's here, but you don't sound like you're ready to buy a house next year. The reason you provided is not really a good reason to own a house if you're not financially ready. Assuming you can at least live in an apartment where you don't have to worry about excessive crime or something like that, your child will have a great experience if you love him and spend time with him. My parents didn't buy their first house until I was about 7. I have many fond memories of playing with the kids in neighboring apartments and exploring the apartment complex together (though admittedly, it has now become a scary thought to let your kids go anywhere out of eyesight).

I do not think it is at all a bad idea to buy a home with an FHA loan and the minimum 3.5% down payment if you can afford it. However, if you are buying things like furniture and other relatively low priced items with credit cards without being able to pay them off immediately, that makes me think that buying a house isn't that wise. Living in an apartment is not at all terrible for a family, but if you buy a house and then for financial reasons, you later need to "downgrade" to an apartment, that will seem devastating.

VmUq7mz.png